Author Topic: DT doing another cover concert?  (Read 5185 times)

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
DT doing another cover concert?
« on: June 22, 2013, 12:43:20 PM »
Just read this.

Dream Theater, on the other hand, surprised their fans in 2002 when they first played the whole of Metallica’s Master of Puppets album on their ‘Six Degrees Of Turbulence’ tour. It set a kind of precedent and the band continued to play other artists’ albums in full as a second set on live tours a few more times. So far they have covered (and recorded) Floyd’s Dark Side Of The Moon, Deep Purple’s Made In Japan (a live version of a live album!) and Iron Maiden’s Number Of The Beast. They are also planning on covering another in a forthcoming tour, although no-one’s mentioned what it’s likely to be.

Interesting! I wonder what it's going to be, and how reliable this source is! (sorry if this has already been done, feel free to delete. I just figured this is the first time we've heard that another one is ACTUALLY gonna be done, so I figured it deserved it's own thread)

Source: https://rocket88books.com/blog/

EDIT: The article was just published yesterday.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 01:46:05 PM by TheLordOfTheStrings »
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: DT doing another cover concert?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 01:25:53 PM »
I bet that's an old piece of information - correct me if I'm wrong, but I think MP said there would be one more cover performance. However, he isn't in the band anymore, so it probably won't happen.

• EB
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 01:27:13 PM »
Well I was thinking that maybe it will happen because hes not in the band anymore, because that means they can do a Rush album now.

Or maybe not.

Just something I thought I'd share.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 01:28:57 PM »
Oh, wow.  There's also an unintentional nugget in that release, too, if you really think about it.  Surprised no one has picked up on it yet.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 01:31:05 PM »
I'm missing something bosk1.  Point it out for us blind folks.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 01:32:07 PM »
"an evening with" perhaps?  Second set?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 01:36:39 PM »
"an evening with" perhaps?  Second set?

OOOOHH!!  Maybe!!!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Pepe108

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 01:41:25 PM »
They are covering Omertà next tour.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 01:55:59 PM »
what's the nugget?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 03:23:09 PM »
I'll believe it when an Evening With tour is announced and the guys specifically say that they are going to continue that tradition. Until then, I wouldn't have any faith in what (appears to be) some no name website/blog posted, even tho I'd love to see them do it.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Rich Wilson

• Forum VIP
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 03:23:13 PM »
I wouldn't read anything into it, given that it was the publishers who put that together, probably lifted from one of the older chapters of the book.

• EB
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 03:12:18 AM »
Okay, thanks for clearing that up Rich!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 03:19:49 AM »
Oh, wow.  There's also an unintentional nugget in that release, too, if you really think about it.  Surprised no one has picked up on it yet.

Dream Theater, on the other hand, surprised their fans in 2002 when they first played the whole of Metallica’s Master of Puppets album on their ‘Six Degrees Of Turbulence’ tour. It set a kind of precedent and the band continued to play other artists’ albums in full as a second set on live tours a few more times. So far they have covered (and recorded) Floyd’s Dark Side Of The Moon, Deep Purple’s Made In Japan (a live version of a live album!) and Iron Maiden’s Number Of The Beast. They are also planning on covering another in a forthcoming tour, although no-one’s mentioned what it’s likely to be.

?

Offline robwebster

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 03:20:36 AM »
I bet that's an old piece of information - correct me if I'm wrong, but I think MP said there would be one more cover performance.
What MP said, ages and ages ago, when he just started the tradition, was "I've already planned out the first five." This became "DT are gonna do five cover albums," which is correct, if not the full story, but the partial story gained currency - "DT are going to do exactly five cover albums." Which - never the case!

What are all the aspects involved in covering an entire album by another band? What does Mike take into consideration when picking an album? faq id: 302
MP: As you might know, I have the first five covers picked out already. I can’t say that all five of us are fans of all five albums. I don’t know if there are any albums out there that all five of us love. There might be some, but in the case of Master of Puppets, Jordan never had even heard that album. So there’s going to be some cases where not all five members are going to be influenced by a particular album, but the five that I’ve picked out already are definitely ones that have been a part of the band’s history.

He might have revised it down, at some point, but I think "first five" suggests something comes after them - suggests the plan was to keep doing it indefinitely. This is the only place I've seen the five albums thing mentioned.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 10:52:11 AM »
So the nugget is that it says "other hand" right before "in 2002 DT surprised..." because they brought back "Another Hand" in 2002, and that was surprising? Haha

Offline Rho d Berth

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2013, 10:53:38 AM »
There has never been a Cover for James, who's very inspired by Freddie Mercury.

I'd say they do Innuendo of Queen.
If there's anybody who would be able to sing the most terrific vocal song, The Show Must Go On, then it must be James Labrie.

I think that would be a better choice then A Night at the Opera, which I just don't see Dream Theater covering.

Innuendo, that would be great!

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2013, 04:50:46 AM »
There has never been a Cover for James, who's very inspired by Freddie Mercury.

I'd say they do Innuendo of Queen.
If there's anybody who would be able to sing the most terrific vocal song, The Show Must Go On, then it must be James Labrie.

I think that would be a better choice then A Night at the Opera, which I just don't see Dream Theater covering.

Innuendo, that would be great!

Somehow I don't see JLB singing a song about Freddie Mercury's cats to an auditorium with a significant number of metal fans in attendance.

Covering an entire Queen album would be pretty tough. There were song Queen shyed away from doing as they would be hard to nail live. Not so much in technique but overall production.

If they did cover another album I doubt they'd go with Queen. But to be honest, I can't see them ever doing covers again, let alone covering an entire album.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2013, 06:31:54 AM »
The tradition isn't worth continuing, IMO. If they ever do continue it, I hope they announce which show they're playing a cover album at beforehand, so I can make sure I don't waste money on buying a ticket if it happens to be in my area.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2013, 07:00:20 AM »
The tradition isn't worth continuing, IMO. If they ever do continue it, I hope they announce which show they're playing a cover album at beforehand, so I can make sure I don't waste money on buying a ticket if it happens to be in my area.
I'm really going to have to agree with this.  The whole concept is pretty cool and I'm sure some people like it.  But, if I was going to a DT concert, I'd want to hear DT songs.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2013, 07:23:31 AM »
I'm really going to have to agree with this.  The whole concept is pretty cool and I'm sure some people like it.  But, if I was going to a DT concert, I'd want to hear DT songs.

And you would. I just checked the Osaka performance of TNOTB (the only cover album I have the full show of to check), and they still got 2 entire hours of Dream Theater, as well as the cover album. Hardly something to complain about.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2013, 07:45:41 AM »
Well, I think the other elephant in the room is that, so far, those cover album events haven't resulted in productions most fans actually want to listen to. I suspect due to relatively little rehearsal time, all of the DT cover albums suffer from weaker performances, especially in the vocals department.

Plus, playing a few covers here and there is fine, but playing someone else's entire album makes no sense. I remember an interview where Bruce Dickinson was asked about DT's NOTB cover, and he just sorta "no commented", obviously not getting why a band would want to spend time at their own concert playing so much of something other than their own music for fans. I don't get it either, to be honest.

You know what'd be better? DT playing another band's album one song per night over like an entire tour. That way, the whole album still gets played and can be released, but fans who showed up on the wrong night don't have to sit through an entire set of something they don't really want to hear.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2013, 08:36:21 AM »
If I were saying what I really think, why would DT do any covers?  Isn't that usually for bands that don't have enough of their own material or are up and coming?

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2013, 11:07:56 AM »
Their best cover is Darkside of The Moon. That performance alone I think was worth it. You've got JR doing the awesome On TheRun, Theresa doing Great Gig in The Sky...the only not so good part is the sax solo in money. Any Colour You like was great too cause of the synths.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2013, 08:59:51 PM »
Pretty much this, though I'd probably go anyway just because I haven't seen DT headline yet. But yea, the novelty of it was cool when they started doing it, and they got some good recordings out of it, but I think bringing bit back would be overkill.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2013, 09:12:39 PM »
What would you guys like to see them cover?

I would LOVE to see them cover Hemispheres or Clockwork Angels. However, the latter is an hour long, so that's probably an entire set
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2013, 09:49:41 PM »
What would you guys like to see them cover?

I would LOVE to see them cover Hemispheres or Clockwork Angels. However, the latter is an hour long, so that's probably an entire set
Hemispheres, I could give them a pass on. But if I went to a DT show and they actually sprung Clockwork Angels on me, I'd never go to a Dream Theater show again, and it would instantly bop DT down a few notches on my "favorite bands" list. That is just a horrible, horrible idea.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2013, 09:54:28 PM »
Yea, if they had to do it, it at least should be a classic album. Doing a recent album (that the band is currently touring on, for that matter) that a good chunk of that audience probably hasn't even heard would make no sense. Plus I thought they picked albums that influenced certain members of the band.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2013, 09:57:34 PM »
If they were to cover a Rush album, Hemispheres, Moving Pictures, or Power Windows would all be good choices. Hemispheres for the prog, Moving Pictures for the truly classic album, and Power Windows with lots of keyboards (albeit simple).

• EB
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2013, 02:43:07 AM »
If they played Closer To The Edge or Relayer (or even Fragile) by Yes, I would die. I would just fucking die, and it would be the greatest death anyone could possibly endure.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2013, 05:30:52 AM »
They covers they did were fun and neat, but that time is past.  It would seem really weird for them to do it again.

They way they did it before, they only did a cover if they were doing "Evening With" shows two nights in a row at the same venue/city.  The cover would be the second set of the second evening.  If they wanted to continue to make such evenings more memorable, I would rather they crank out extra DT songs they aren't doing on the main tour, or an Evening of Epics (ACOS, 8VM, etc).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2013, 12:24:01 PM »
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2013, 12:41:20 PM »
or an Evening of Epics (ACOS, 8VM, etc).

Fuck. Yes.

• EB
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2013, 02:09:51 PM »
Wow, did I put Closer To The Edge? I meant Close To The Edge. My bad. haha.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2013, 06:28:55 AM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline mellotron_scratch

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2013, 06:45:57 AM »
If they played Closer To The Edge or Relayer (or even Fragile) by Yes, I would die. I would just fucking die, and it would be the greatest death anyone could possibly endure.

Imagine what the middle section of The Gates of Delirium would be like.
BEST.
THING.
EVER.
 :hefdaddy  :metal