Author Topic: 2013-14 NBA thread v. Adam Silver Lays the Pipe on Donald Sterling ©2014antigoon  (Read 112800 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

The Spurs could be saying to themselves, "Hey, if it wasn't for those 4 straight missed free throws in Game 2, we'd be up 3-0 now."

Except there is no way of knowing that.  They could say it to themselves all they want, but that doesn't make it true.

Offline Azyiu

Either way, I enjoyed watching the Spurs killing them Heat!!  :metal

Yet, this series is FAR from over, and I expect the Heat would come back way tougher than in Game 3 in the next game. Should be interesting to watch.  :hat
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline contest_sanity

The Spurs could be saying to themselves, "Hey, if it wasn't for those 4 straight missed free throws in Game 2, we'd be up 3-0 now."

Except there is no way of knowing that.  They could say it to themselves all they want, but that doesn't make it true.

Yeah, I understand that.  Probably a dumb thing to write.  It was late, and I'm not really sure what my point was.  I think I was reacting to all of the hypotheticals Reap was throwing out as being the main narratives going into Game 3 for the Heat to be ultra confident.  Obviously SA didn't buy into those.

It will be really tough, but SA needs to come out with just as much urgency in Game 4.  It won't literally be a must win like it will be for Miami, but if SA loses Game 4, then it's gonna go 7 -- and it's hard to pick against LeBron in a Game 7.

Leonard is key, though.  He doesn't have to get 29 a night, but he does have to bring that same aggressiveness the rest of the series.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I didn't see a second of last night's game (was at a concert), but I heard the Spurs looked unstoppable.  I suspect the Heat will come out like gangbusters tomorrow night.  Mario Chalmers needs to pull his head out of his ass in a hurry though. 

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.

Like saying "the Heat were gonna win game one until Lebron went out."  :rollin
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain

You could easily flip this though.  The Heat could tell themselves they would have won game 1 if LeBron hadn't cramped up.  But there's no way of knowing that.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Syzzle

Offline Syzzle

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Joey Crawford reffing game 4.  Unreal.
Over and over again

Offline j

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/233750/Heat-Working-On-Plan-To-Sign-Carmelo-To-Create-Big-4

Get it done Riley then we'll be one step closer to a Big 5 :hat

Yeah what the Heat really need is another volume jump shooter.  The most prolific one in the league, who doesn't pass or play defense.  What a misguided effort. ::)

-J

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
People were skeptical about how Wade/James/Bosh could not only coexist without egos prevailing but also how ANY active (or recently active) coach this side of Phil Jackson could even dream of getting them to buy into his plan yet these doubts have been thoroughly destroyed and they have played masterfully together. With Melo seeing a golden opportunity like this to get out of the "No rings" club, I think only a severely low contract offer in relation to his market value could chase him off and even that may not sour the deal.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
If Melo comes to Miami, it's because Wade/James/Bosh take pay cuts.  Melo's actions and what people say about him strongly indicate that he's very interested in money.  If they Heat can't/don't want to pay, don't expect Melo to be there.
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Word is that Wade and Bosh would be willing to take less to stay in Miami.  Honestly, they should be given props for that, as most athletes take the money and run, but they are willing to take less to play on a winner and with guys they love playing with. That is a good thing.  Not sure someone who plays hero ball like Carmelo Anthony would fit in well there, but with James there running the show, he'd probably be able to keep him in check.  Anthony has to be tired of never playing in May and June.

As for Joey Crawford officiating tomorrow night, that's par for the course for the NBA. 

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
If Melo plays in Miami it will be fine.  He's good at making Hockey assist type passes.  Him and LeBron can basically play 3 and 4 interchangeably.
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Win or lose this series, I think Pat Riley knows, assuming the Big 3 all come back, that he needs to bring someone else significant in.  They dropped to 54 wins this year, Ray Allen is getting old, Dwayne Wade's health is always a question mark, and you have to go for it while James is still in his all-world prime. 

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Agreed.  Even if they don't bring in another star, they could take a Spurs type approach and bolster the role players.  In particular, like you said, Wade's health is too unreliable.
Over and over again

• DT.net Member
I'm looking way too far ahead but, if the 3peat occurs, they'll obviously be going for the only 4peat in the post-Russell era. If they succeed in that, where does this hypothetical dynasty rank all time? It still obviously falls well short of Auerbach's green machine and there are still 3 different 5-title Laker dynasties as well as the double 3peat Bulls. So it's an absolute clusterfuck of subjectivity and biased stat manipulation rife for the likes of us nerdy fuckers.

What's y'all's take on this?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
If the Heat 4-peat, it would be the third greatest dynasty in basketball.  It obviously wouldn't compete with the 60's Celtics, and you wouldn't rank it above the totality of the 90's era Bulls.  But nothing else could compete.
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
See, I don't lump the '00-'02 Lakers in with the '09-'10 Lakers.  Too many different players in general, and the lack of Shaq makes it even more difficult to put them all together. 

I'll go with what ReaP said.  But I still think the Spurs are gonna win it this year.

• DT.net Member
It's a shame the Mikan 5-outta-6er is so thoroughly forgotten because lolTVinitsinfancy.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
It's a shame the Mikan 5-outta-6er is so thoroughly forgotten because lolTVinitsinfancy.

I totally forgot it.

I don't know anything about it though so I don't know how to rank it.  I haven't seen much of the Russell era games, but I've read a bit about it.  How close a lot of games were.  They got lucky at least once (in one of the championships, I think, the Lakers had the last shot, and if it went in they would have won the title).  But they also pulled off a lot of crazy stuff to be so successful so consistently.

For all I know, the Mikan era Lakers were just that much better than the competition.
Over and over again

Offline Azyiu

Joey Crawford reffing game 4.  Unreal.

For real?!  :tdwn  Damn! The Spurs are going to get hosed tonight, and I smell Timmy would get T'd up for no good reason...  :facepalm:
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
So basically this

Offline Syzzle

LeBron's playoff record (Doesn't include this year's playoffs)

with Crawford: 11-11 (.500)
w/o Crawford: 81-39 (.675)

I'm sure Crawford is still holding a grudge against Duncan and Parker though so yeah I would be surprised if the Spurs win tonight.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
I remember Crawford calling game 6 last year pretty evenly.

The problem is that you always run into the risk of him grandstanding.  Let's say LeBron drives to the rim, a Spurs big man uses verticality to challenge the shot.  LeBron gets really pissy about not getting a foul.  We go to the other end of the court.  A Spurs player drives on James, he goes to take the charge.  It could technically go either way, but is usually called a charge.  Crawford calls is a block though, because he's still pissed about the previous play.

That's the problem.  These kinds of things are always in play with him.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 01:45:12 PM by ReaPsTA »
Over and over again

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Pop running a globetrotter offense. I love him so much
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Hey guys?

I think the Spurs are really good.
Over and over again

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
So, is this a re-run of game 3?
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't understand how Miami was so lax at defense in the first half, it seemed like they didn't care if the Spurs were scoring. Lebron seemed pissed off and tried to put the team on his back but the rest of the guys were mentally destroyed.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
What the fuck is up with the Heat? Really disappointing.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Over and over again

Offline Jaq

Dwayne Wade looked awful tonight. You'd think after Game 3 Miami would come out balls to the wall ready to rock, but this was arguably a bigger ass kicking. Things don't look good for the Heat. They're gonna have to play 200% better over the rest of the series to win it.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
The history of the Finals says they're done. No team has ever come back from 3-1.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Jaq

I can't figure it out, though. The Spurs are good, don't get me wrong, but they flat out embarrassed the two time champions on their home court twice. They're not quite giving up, but they're in the ball park. 

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
As far as I'm concerned the Heat could win the next three in a row.

It's never over until it's over.
Over and over again