Author Topic: 2013-14 NBA thread v. Adam Silver Lays the Pipe on Donald Sterling ©2014antigoon  (Read 112754 times)

Offline Azyiu

Spo coached the Heat in 2009 and 2010, where he won 43 and 47 games respectively.  In '09 he lost in seven to a good Hawks team, and in '10 he lost in five to the Celtics team that nearly won the finals.  Neither performance is much to get excited about, but not much to criticize either.  Winning nearly 50 games in your second season as a coach is pretty good.

I hate the "let's see what he'd do with lesser players argument."  I know that if Pop coached the Milwaukee Bucks this year, he might have made the playoffs.  He's that good.  But he's never winning a ring with that team.  Coaches should be judged based on how they maximize the potential of their teams.  No one remembers that, outside of Kobe, the '06 and '07 Lakers weren't much of a team, but PJax got them to the playoffs anyway.  This isn't a positive on his coaching resume?

Spo figured out how to mange two of the biggest egos in the game (LeBron and Wade).  He also figured how how to take a very unbalanced roster and use the abilities of its best players to maximize the abilities of its lesser players.  That's tremendous coaching.

Pretty good points you have made there, and I agreed with pretty much everything you said. I used to doubt Spo's coaching ability at the beginning too, or I should've said I was skeptical at first. After all, he wasn't exactly a coaching superstar or something, you know. Then again, the more I watch him coach, and how the Heat making all the subtle adjustments in each series, I know this guy is for real. And than I remember he started off as a video coordinator, and I think those long hours he spent editing films had helped developed into a detail oriented guy, and it pays off big time now.

Still, I don't like the Heat and Go Spurs Go!  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
convenient a/c malfunction......LeBron cramps up.

Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
No way was that A/C thing an accident.  Given that James has had problems in the past with cramps, it getting hot in there not only made that more likely to happen, but guys getting tired quicker cause of the heat helps the team with the deeper bench, which is the Spurs.  Call it gamesmanship I guess, but it's lame when a city has to resort to that to win a game.  I remember years ago when the Blues played a game 5 in Detroit and they just happened to get there on the day they painted the visitor's locker room, so the Blues had to deal with paint fumes all day in their locker room.  Lame, but it is what it is.

Oh, and the criticism of James for not playing through it is MORONIC.  Many of the people are just James critics who love to hate on him for anything, and I have to think that many are also peeps who have never played sports and/or never had a cramp.  Good luck standing, much less playing, when you have a terrible cramp in your leg.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
Im gonna agree with ya Kev.

I 100% believe it.

Im not the biggest LeBron fan, but he's an incredible player.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm not buying that it was on purpose because while the Spurs have a deeper bench the heat is more likely to affect Duncan, Ginobili and Parker because of their age than it is to affect the younger Miami team.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Never attribute to malevolence what can more easily explained with incompetence.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
I have no idea if the AC broke intentionally.  It would be too scandalous if you were caught.

No reason to diss LeBron though for not playing through the cramps.  I had a cramp once when I was sleeping that was so bad it woke me up.  I can't imagine my whole leg cramping.

EDIT:  If you're going to blame LeBron for anything, it's not drinking enough.  He was apparently getting an IV after the game.  And really, if you looked at him during the game, he looked like he was going to faint or have a heat stroke or something.  Gotta hydrate.

EDIT 2:  That still doesn't make it his fault though.  Seeing people on the Internet talk about how he wasn't good enough really bothers me.  He couldn't move his left leg.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 10:33:57 AM by ReaPsTA »
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
People are morons.  It really is that plain and simple.  I know we live in a society now where people love to bash great players whenever anything doesn't go their way, but the lengths some take it to are so outrageous, it borders on hilarity.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Apparently, cramping is a major cause of swimmers drowning in the ocean.

If cramps are so severe that you can't prevent yourself from dying, then expecting LeBron to play through a basketball game, even if it is the finals, is insane.
Over and over again

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Lebroning.
« Reply #1410 on: June 06, 2014, 11:31:18 AM »
I can't believe the lights went out in the Superbowl but there is a lot of electricity drawn during any finals.

I'm not buying that it was on purpose because while the Spurs have a deeper bench the heat is more likely to affect Duncan, Ginobili and Parker because of their age than it is to affect the younger Miami team.

Second.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Also, as we're seeing from the media reaction, no one's treating this as a mistake.  It's being considered a major embarrassment.  The Spurs stay away from that kind of thing at all costs.  They're smart enough to know that part of the reason they're able to succeed is that people respect them.  Turning off the AC on purpose would more than taint that.
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
So it just happened to go out in game 1 of the finals against a team with the best player in the world, a player whom has had issues in the past with cramps because of not being hydrated enough?  Sorry, not buying it.  I've been watching sports long enough to know that most teams will do whatever they can to get an advantage, and just because the Spurs have this portrayal of being a noble franchise doesn't mean that they are above such actions.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
The Spurs generate that reputation on purpose though.  If the league investigates this (very possible) and finds shenanigans, it would evaporate all of that.

The Spurs use that perception to play borderline dirty defense without having fouls called on them.  They use it to convince players to be selfless.  Peter Holt is one of the most powerful owners in the league.  The consequences of being found out, especially in a time when keeping secrets is impossible, are too huge.

The Superdome's electricity went out during the Superbowl.  The Spurs arena has a history of things being weird and going wrong.

It's not impossible, but circumstantial evidence isn't enough.
Over and over again

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Calf Power!
« Reply #1414 on: June 06, 2014, 12:01:12 PM »
Well if so, it worked like pointing a laser beam right at Lebron's calfs. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
The funniest thing is people who say "MJ would've played through it!"

It's like... No, if MJ couldn't move his leg, he wouldn't have played through it. What would he do - Hop up and down the court and then shoot hook shots? :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Larry Bird had a Chuckle.
« Reply #1416 on: June 06, 2014, 12:59:46 PM »
To Lebron's credit, he was asking in and Spolstra (sp?) wouldn't allow him.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
All of this becomes moot if the Heat win game 2.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Why the fuck would the Spurs want to play in those conditions AND risk the health of their three oldest players, especially with one who is fighting an ankle sprain?!?

Sorry. Malfunctions happen. Nothing is perfect. And the Spurs were playing better than the Heat in the 4th quarter and would have still won that game with Lebron in. All the players and coaches suffered from the heat, the Spurs included.

Go Spurs Go.

The funniest thing is people who say "MJ would've played through it!"

It's like... No, if MJ couldn't move his leg, he wouldn't have played through it. What would he do - Hop up and down the court and then shoot hook shots? :lol

An NFL player ranged in on Twitter saying something along the lines of People who said Lebron should have played with cramps because MJ played with a flu has never been an athlete EVER  :lol
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 02:30:07 PM by Accelerando »

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
I suspect Spo is showing LeBron this article.

More importantly though:

Moving to San Antonio and becoming a Spurs fan.  K thx bye.
Over and over again

Offline Accelerando

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Clamsterdam^^
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
I know what would've helped LeBron

Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I suspect Spo is showing LeBron this article.

More importantly though:

Moving to San Antonio and becoming a Spurs fan.  K thx bye.

So should we change it to Cameltoeing?!   :lol

What else can help LeBron?!  Midol.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
  And the Spurs were playing better than the Heat in the 4th quarter and would have still won that game with Lebron in. 

a) No they weren't, prior to James' cramps kicking in.

b) We have no idea of knowing who would have won had James been fine and played the rest of the game. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Wasn't it only a 2 point game when he came out?  Like Kev said you don't know the outcome if he is in.

Offline Accelerando

The Spurs had an 106% effective goal percentage in the 4th even with James in the game. They were out rebounding Miami, and scored 36 points on just 20 possessions in the 4th.

Looks to me that they got hot in that quarter, and when the Spurs are hot, they can't be stopped.

And no that wasn't an AC pun!!!

The biggest reason why the Spurs were in trouble the previous three quarters were because of the TOs, which by the end of the game resulted in 23 total, which is not common for this team. If Miami can create those TOs, it's going to be a long series for San Antonio. TOs are the reason why in the past San Antonio have never been able to have back to back Finals appearances until now. They are handling the ball better than ever.

Also, something that is news worthy that slipped through the cracks because of the whole LeBron leaving the game issue...

« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 06:34:25 PM by Accelerando »

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Yeah, well, Duncan doesn't have Kobe's clutch shots.  He's like a top 30 player at best.  Stop over complicating things with numbers.  86% of statistics are made up anyway.
Over and over again

Offline Accelerando

First of all, that's not fair, because you break down and give stats about the game this season more than anybody on this thread, and secondly i'll counter by saying they are two different players playing two different positions?

I'm not complicating things. It just looked like the Spurs got hot at the 4th, and I was just proving it. Yes, the Spurs are my team, but I'm the first one to give credit where credit is due, and Miami had us on the rocker for most of the game, mainly, as I stated, we turned the ball over a bunch of times, and they made some great shots. I love the game of basketball too much to be one sided. I've played it up until I got hurt in college.

It's going to be a great series, probably even better than last years which was a classic. I'm looking forward to game 2, and I hope Lebron is healthy by Sunday so we can both teams at 100%.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
First of all, that's not fair, because you break down and give stats about the game this season more than anybody on this thread, and secondly i'll counter by saying they are two different players playing two different positions?
Sarcasm radar, broken.

Offline Accelerando

Sarcasm radar, broken.

Yeah....that's on me...

sorry I'm still heated from a small squabble from some of my buds who are Heat fans who went the whole "If LeBron stayed in we would've beaten you" route and kept saying the Spurs purposely turned off the AC...it started off as decent debate until our passion kicked in. I'm sorry, I was on edge.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 07:33:50 PM by Accelerando »

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
I've missed sarcasm too.  It's cool.
Over and over again

Offline Azyiu

Timmy was fantastic in Game 1, sure, but y'all never mentioned about both Diaw's passing (many of Timmy's baskets were dished out by Diaw!!) and Manu's explosion on both ends in game 1!
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Looks to me that they got hot in that quarter, and when the Spurs are hot, they can't be stopped.

And them getting HOT and going on a run happening to coincide with James' exit was just a crazy coincidence, right?  Hey, your team won; be happy.  Just don't act like LBJ not being in there wasn't a major reason why (or THE main reason). 

Offline contest_sanity

Will this become a league-wide tactic, the next 'Hack-a-Shaq?'

SAUNA A LEBRONA?