Author Topic: 2013-14 NBA thread v. Adam Silver Lays the Pipe on Donald Sterling ©2014antigoon  (Read 112759 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I thought of Hakeem (and Karl Malone and Oscar Robertson), but I eventually with went Bryant in the last slot.  As much as I enjoy hating on him :lol, he is tied for the most 1st All-NBA team appearances, so I think he deserves the 10th spot. 

Offline Syzzle

1.Jordan
2.Kareem
3.Magic
4.Russell
5.LeBron
6.Duncan
7.Bird
8.Shaq
9.Wilt
10.Hakeem

LeBron passes Russell and is tied with Magic if they win this year. He will surpass Magic next year especially if he wins another MVP. Now on the other hand if the Spurs win this year Duncan moves into the top 4 ahead of Russell for me.

Offline j

As much as I hate these efforts to compare across eras, Oscar Robertson has to be on that list.  He pioneered the "big guard" archetype like Wilt pioneered the "big man with actual skills" archetype, while simultaneously doing it (arguably) better than anybody since.  And he averaged a triple double over an entire season, and came close to doing it more than once.

-J

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Jordan (obviously)
Russell (11 rings)
Kareem (Longevity and quality)
Magic (More success than Bird)
Bird (At risk of becoming very underrated.  Watch on Youtube)
Chamberlain (Statistical absurdity)
Duncan (He's fucking Duncan)
West (Didn't play like someone with only one ring)
Kobe (He was so good)
Oscar (Not as statistically absurd as Wilt, checkered career)

I think people are listing LeBron as a top ten all time player because of where they think his career will end up rather than where it is right now.

If LeBron wins this year he has to jump Hakeem (my 11) as well as Oscar.  Kobe might not be safe either.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Syzzle

If Miami wins  with this officiating I will laugh. :lol

3 terrible foul calls on LeBron and I'm sure they will have a 3rd on Wade soon.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Heat are absolutely neutered without LBJ. I know that goes without saying but usually it's said with underlying exaggeration. Tonight in his absence, they've gone from leading 48-37 to trailing 68-59 which is a 31-11 run and have horrible ball movement, beyond-clumsy rebounding, and zero interior defense.

And for the fucking love of god, are they morphing into Mr. Magoo every time they attempt a long pass?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
This has been about the worst viewing experience ever. James hasn't been able to play because of some very soft calls and both teams have gone through stretches where they just didn't care.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
If LeBron wins this year he has to jump Hakeem (my 11) as well as Oscar.  Kobe might not be safe either.

Kobe might not be safe? LeBron would have three more MVPs, one more Finals MVP, all on top of being the statistically superior player. I get that Kobe has more longevity and team success, but come on!

• DT.net Member
This has been about the worst viewing experience ever. James hasn't been able to play because of some very soft calls and both teams have gone through stretches where they just didn't care.

This game has at least been competitive as much as I've disliked the Heat's struggles. The Bulls' 96-54 beatdown of the Jazz in the '98 finals was nearly unwatchable.

Also, Bosh is straight skurred tonight. His shooting hesitance is identical to the little league nerd in the outfield repeatedly chanting under his breath "Please don't hit it to me."
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 08:53:56 PM by black_floyd »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni

I think these last couple of minutes have compensated for that.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
I get that Kobe has more longevity and team success, but come on!

These things matter to me.  Also, it's not like I'm a Kobe fan.  I actually like LeBron more.
Over and over again

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Just looked at the box score.  LeBron James 24 minutes and five personal fouls?  What the fuck?  I guess LeBron was just really foul happy.  Good on the refs for calling the game right.  Because that's exactly what they do.  Night in and night out.  Consistently.  With no shenanigans whatsoever.
Over and over again

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Reap, you forgot the to color your post green  :lol

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
Classic refs
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Classic refs

I really liked this post.

Reap, you forgot the to color your post green  :lol

Tom Washington, one of the refs in this game, also reffed Clippers vs. Thunder game five.  I think he's done enough to prove his credibility.  I don't know what you're insinuating about my post.
Over and over again

Offline j

Kobe might not be safe? LeBron would have three more MVPs, one more Finals MVP, all on top of being the statistically superior player. I get that Kobe has more longevity and team success, but come on!

Kobe is not a top 10 all time player.

Anybody read this?  A good deal of it is far-fetched, but Ibaka's sudden recovery was strange and completely unprecedented given the initial diagnosis.  Also it was posted on a Spurs website.  :lol  Still he makes a couple of interesting points.

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2014/5/28/5756958/i-believe-sam-presti

-J

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Anyone who thinks games are not called to get desired results is out of their mind.  Tonight was a classic example.  The NBA wanted a Game 6, and having LeBron on the bench for half of the game pretty much guaranteed that, even though the Pacers tried to give it away at the end.

And it showed again how stupid the concept of fouling out is.  In no other sport do you see the best player in that sport sitting for half of the game because of something as subjective as foul calls.  It's so stupid.

Also, LeBron is not already an all-time top 10 player, ReaP?  No freaking way.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Anyone who thinks games are not called to get desired results is out of their mind.  Tonight was a classic example.  The NBA wanted a Game 6, and having LeBron on the bench for half of the game pretty much guaranteed that, even though the Pacers tried to give it away at the end.

And it showed again how stupid the concept of fouling out is.  In no other sport do you see the best player in that sport sitting for half of the game because of something as subjective as foul calls.  It's so stupid.

It's really close.  I just couldn't get over the statistical absurdity and dominance of Robertson.

Also, I look at these things in terms of what players have done, rather than projecting things.  LeBron could retire the best player ever if his career goes right.  But if he retired now, to me the other guys on the list have just done more.
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Okay, but I didn't project either, otherwise I would have put James at number 2 or 3, which is where I think he will end up around.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
I'm so glad I didn't watch the Heat game tonight and instead fell asleep very early, for the sake of my walls.

Offline Syzzle

Glad I had to work last night was a terrible game from what I got to watch.

LeBron with 5 fouls in 3 quarters seems legit though. On top of that the Pacers still almost managed to lose if the refs don't take LeBron out of the game it's a 20+ point blow out :lol

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member

I think it would have been in the NBA's best interest for the Heat to have wrapped it up last night and guarantee themselves a Finals berth. I do agree though that it was ridiculous watching the best player in 20 years sit the whole game because every 50/50 call didn't go his way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

:lol

INB4 James lights the Pacers up light a Christmas tree tomorrow night.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
 :rollin

Their faces are perfect

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Wolves thinking of hiring Del Negro as their coach.

Astounding.
Over and over again

• DT.net Member
If you played in the NBA in the 90s, now seems to be a fantastic time to cash that check.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
I wish I had seen the Spurs vs. Thunder game.  I'm sure they did a lot of really smart, interesting things to turn the series back around.
Over and over again

• DT.net Member
Like convincing the Thunder it isn't okay to chase defensive rebounds.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
I only watched a bit of the game, but it seemed like Ibaka wasn't quite as dominant as the last two games.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
It was a mix of the Thunder not being as intense as in the previous games and the Spurs going back to doing what they normally do and being more aggressive. Also for some reason Pop though having Bonner as a starter was a good idea and since they win the game maybe it was.

Offline Azyiu

The Pacers' season ends tonight! Man, I am a Lakers fan, ok? But this Pacers team is so unenjoyable to watch, annoying and immature; I am actually rooting for the Heat to finish them off. They don't deserve even making the Finals.  :tdwn
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
The Spurs I guess went small ball the whole game so they always had four shooters on the floor.  But I hear they also ran actions to make sure the Thunder couldn't clog the paint without a kick out being available.  No matter how athletic the opposing D, if you create enough spacing they can't cover it all.

To me, this is why Pop's a genius.  How many coaches have coached a pound it low offense with two bigs and a D'Antoni style pace and space offense?
Over and over again

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
If you played in the NBA in the 90s, now seems to be a fantastic time to cash that check.

Speaking of checks.... Donald Sterling has a pretty big fat one coming his way shortly. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
The Spurs shot lights out last night, but I suspect the Thunder will still win tomorrow and force a Game 7.