Author Topic: 2013-14 NBA thread v. Adam Silver Lays the Pipe on Donald Sterling ©2014antigoon  (Read 112836 times)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Isn't the Thunder's offense maddening to watch? I lost track of how many times they just dribble the shot clock down and then just launch a jump shot.  It's almost like, they have no set plays to run on offense.  And it works a lot cause Durant and Westbrook are great shot makers, but fundamentally it is a train wreck of an approach.

Which is why Brooks gets tons of critics in this thread  ;)
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
Isn't the Thunder's offense maddening to watch? I lost track of how many times they just dribble the shot clock down and then just launch a jump shot.  It's almost like, they have no set plays to run on offense.  And it works a lot cause Durant and Westbrook are great shot makers, but fundamentally it is a train wreck of an approach.

It seems like what saves them is that their defense is usually great, so not having an offense doesn't hurt them much. Right now Durant and Westbrook account for like 65% of their usage, which is insane.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain

They don't have a real system.  Their plays have no second or third options, and the plays they do run are barely plays.  To me, it's the biggest reason Brooks needs to go.  Look at the Clippers offense and how much it improved with a real coach who can actually teach his team to run plays.  Imagine what would happen if the Thunder had a coach like that.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Syzzle

Sucks Ibaka had to get injured that will probably be enough to keep Scott Brooks safe after they lose to the Spurs.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
This sucks for the Spurs.  No matter what they do this playoffs, there will be an asterisk next to it.  And if they lose to the Thunder without Ibaka, that would be really embarrassing.
Over and over again

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
This sucks for the Spurs.  No matter what they do this playoffs, there will be an asterisk next to it.  And if they lose to the Thunder without Ibaka, that would be really embarrassing.

I don't think I agree. Injuries are part of the game. This happens to a title contender pretty much every year. No one will remember Ibaka's injury 10 years from now, except for Thunder fans.

Offline j

^Yeah.  Losing Ibaka is significant, but he isn't as important to the Thunder as he was a year or two ago.  Between Adams, Perkins, Collison, et al, OKC has plenty of depth at 4 and 5.

-J

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
I'm with TOX. I'm not completely sure but I think in the same playoffs, a few years ago, Kobe, Rondo, Derrick Rose, and Russell Westbrook were all injured. The combo of 80-90 games under your belt and going even harder each night due to the way-higher stakes of playoff basketball is a clearcut recipe for injuries. It's almost surprising there aren't more injuries.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Azyiu

I don't think I agree. Injuries are part of the game. This happens to a title contender pretty much every year. No one will remember Ibaka's injury 10 years from now, except for Thunder fans.

Exactly!! Was about to say the same, thank you!!  :hat

I am not cold blooded or anything, but people on almost all the NBA forums I am a member of are "feeling sorry" for the Thunder. Geez, roll with it, injury is a part of the game!! So boo hoo!!  :hat
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
I'll cry for months of LeGod gets injured and is out.

Offline Syzzle

I'll cry for months of LeGod gets injured and is out.
I'll join you we can be like the Bulls fans in 2012 and cry about it for years after too.

Offline Azyiu

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Apparently, Minnesota is giving serious consideration to trading Kevin Love.

If he's willing to play in Boston, the Celtics need to get this done.  Sullinger, Green, Bogans (whose 5 million dollar contract is non-guaranteed), and 3 1st round picks.  No other team can come close to this kind of offer.
Over and over again

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
crapcrapcrap

Heat in 6
Spurs in 5
Over and over again

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
If the Pacers beat the Heat this series, my conspiracy about them faking all the drama will be one of my favorites of all time.
Over and over again

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
It's gonna be fun watching Around the Horn and Pardon The Interruption during the Eastern Conference finals and watching as they jump on and off the Pacers bandwagon depending on what happened the day before.  :lol ESPN's been alternatively burying and praising the Pacers for weeks now.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline j

Pacers diversification was ridiculous.

George - 24-7-4
West - 19-7-3
Hibbert - 19-9-3
Stephenson - 17-8-4
Hill - 15 pts
Watson - 11 and 4

-J

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
I missed it, but fuck is that why they lost? Pacers making their shots?

How did the Heat look?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
It's not that the Heat looked bad, it's that the Pacers looked like the world-beaters they seemed before Spring.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline contest_sanity

It's not that the Heat looked bad, it's that the Pacers looked like the world-beaters they seemed before Spring.

Actually, Bosh did look pretty awful.  Wade/James both looked pretty good but not spectacular.  Heat were pretty weak defensively, though; most points Pacers have scored all playoffs.  Heat better wake up fast, as, despite their recent struggles, Indiana is perfectly designed to beat them. 

• DT.net Member
Yeah, in the second half the Pacers made a fucking TON of shots even under heavy contesting. On their midrange jumpers they could basically do no wrong and the Heat shot like reres during the second half. The Heat looked scared, confused, lazy, one-dimensional, and thoroughly bereft of heart once they realized this wasn't gonna be one of the million games they've won just by putting together one good fourth quarter run. Spoels better put on that thinkin cap or shit's gonna get ugly real quick.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Eh, it's one game.  Besides, the Pacers get up to play the Heat, so I figured they'd win a game or two.  The Heat will be fine this series.  Remember that the Bulls did something similar to them in a Game 1 a couple years ago and then the Heat won the next four. 

• DT.net Member
In before 62-20 run?

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
A part of me feels like the Pacers hit shots at a rate they will never be able to duplicate again, and that the Heat are going to ramp up the intensity and be fine going forward.

Another part of me feels like the Pacers always find ways to play out of their minds against the Heat, so maybe Miami is in trouble.

Game 2 will be very telling!

Offline Azyiu

Eh, it's one game.  Besides, the Pacers get up to play the Heat, so I figured they'd win a game or two.  The Heat will be fine this series.  Remember that the Bulls did something similar to them in a Game 1 a couple years ago and then the Heat won the next four.

I am agreeing with you on the Heat coming back part, but just wanted to point out that; that Bulls team was without D Rose, and Nate Robinson was playing like a man possessed in game 1.  :hat
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
Well James, I tried to not make you feel too bad about the game. These guys didn't help :lol
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

I am agreeing with you on the Heat coming back part, but just wanted to point out that; that Bulls team was without D Rose, and Nate Robinson was playing like a man possessed in game 1.  :hat

No, that was the 2011 playoffs, when Rose was coming off his MVP season and playing really well.  He wasn't hurt till the following season.

Offline contest_sanity

I, for one, am by no means calling an Indy series victory yet.  That would be foolish in any series after Game 1, but especially so with how inconsistent the Pacers have been lately.  It was just a little surprising to see Miami get basically dominated like that. It doesn't happen often. Miami is weaker this year, though, and I won't be surprised if they lose. However, I will be equally unsurprised if LeBron finds some way to pull it out, even if it requires Cleveland-mode!

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Grizzlies CEO fired.  GM assumes temporary control of the team.  No one knows what's happening.

Strange moment for such a major shakeup of the team's management.  After the weird start (Joerger trying to make the Grizz run and gun), they became an excellent basketball team.  This feels like more an issue of personality than results.
Over and over again

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I felt the same about Mark Jackson being fired.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
I felt the same about Mark Jackson being fired.

I don't think it's that simple

I'm not going to say Joerger was a better coach than Jackson, but the Grizz played more to their identity.  It took Jackson a couple games to realize he should go small (unacceptable from a professional coach) and they still ran a lot of ISO ball and never had the best rotations.

The only reason Joerger would be fired is that the owner doesn't like him, which is silly.  Jackson on the other hand kicked people out of practice, tried to fire an assistant coach he didn't have the authority to fire, and probably tons of other stuff we don't know about.

If Joerger's fired, speculation is that he'll go to the Wolves.  No one wants to hire Jackson.

Jackson wasn't a good enough coach to justify how much of a pain in the ass he was.  Joerger isn't a great coach necessarily, but he's at least competent and doesn't seem like a troublemaker.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 04:12:15 PM by ReaPsTA »
Over and over again

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
I never liked Mark Jackson, even as an announcer. In fairness to Jackson though, I'm not a Kobe fan, and Jackson at one point said Kobe was as good as Jordan, so I immediately stopped taking him seriously. :lol

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
I disagree with 90% of what JVG says, but at least he's trying.  Jackson just seemed to say whatever sounded good to him at the moment.
Over and over again

Offline contest_sanity

https://youtu.be/kcvwCn7DwDY

MAMA THERE GOES THAT MAN!

« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 08:52:20 PM by contest_sanity »