Author Topic: 2013-14 NBA thread v. Adam Silver Lays the Pipe on Donald Sterling ©2014antigoon  (Read 112752 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
I know there aren't a whole lotta Heat supporters round here but I didn't feel like being deafened by the community's collective uproarious laughter if I'd have mentioned the Pelicans in the thread title.

Obvious shit to look out for this offseason/coming season:

1. Where do Doc Rivers/CP3/Dwight Howard end up?

2. Will the Bulls make a serious run with Derrick Rose back in the fray?

3. If so, will they, the Pacers, Knicks, or a dark horse upset the Heat and make the finals?

4. Are the Lakers or Steve Nash done?

5. What happens to the Spurs with age creeping up on Tim Duncan (37) and Manu Ginobili (about to be 36)? Will Tony Parker be able to continue his ascent to the league's top echelon enough to make up for a possible slowing down of those two?

6. Stephon Curry: ready to challenge the Thunder for the "heir apparent" status in the West as soon as Kobe and Tim Duncan (possibly) fade out in the next few seasons?

7. Rockets: will James Harden continue to carry them toward the top?

8. Bobcats (eventually Hornets :| ), Magic, and Timberwolves: status quo or do any of them stop sucking abysmally?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 10:56:16 PM by black_floyd »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Azyiu

Re: 2013-14 NBA thread v. Heat dynasty?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 09:41:56 PM »
Wow! The 2013 Draft hasn't even happened... ain't we a bit ahead of ourselves here?  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 09:43:57 PM »

I think that all three stay right where they are. I don't think coaches can be traded for players or draft picks like in the NFL. As for CP3 and Howard, they have 30 million reasons to stay put.

If Derrick Rose can return to form, the Bulls will be serious contenders.

3. If so, will they, the Pacers, Knicks, or a dark horse upset the Heat and make the finals?

We'll have to see what happens with Miami's rotating cast. Curious to see if Bosh is dealt. At this point, they should gauge the market for interest. He's still a good player, but he's getting paid a lot of money for the same kind of performances that Battier, Anderson and Miller come up with. But at the end of the day, any team with James and a healthy Wade will be tough to beat.

Pacers came close to knocking the Heat off in the ECF, so I give them and the Bulls the best odds at knocking off the Heat. The Knicks, not so much.

I think that they're done in regards to being legitimate Title Contenders, but I don't see them missing the playoffs.

5. What happens to the Spurs with age creeping up on Tim Duncan (37) and Manu Ginobili (about to be 36)? Will Tony Parker be able to continue his ascent to the league's top echelon enough to make up for a possible slowing down of those two?

Manu might retire. The Spurs should have another good season, but a healthy Thunder team or perhaps the Grizzlies or Clippers could knock them off as is.

6. Stephon Curry: ready to challenge the Thunder for the "heir apparent" status in the West as soon as Kobe and Tim Duncan (possibly) fade out in the next few seasons?

Don't know if the Warriors have what it takes to get past a great defense in the playoffs.

Absolutely. But they need another piece or two in order to make a serious run.

8. Bobcats (eventually Hornets :| ), Magic, and Timberwolves: status quo or do any of them stop sucking abysmally?

I felt that the Timberwolves have been on the cusp of not sucking for the past two seasons, but they have had a lot of injuries. Signing Love to a long term deal should be their priority.

I've heard Charlotte to be a potential trading partner with Miami to move Bosh. But even with him, I don't see Charlotte getting out of the 1st round, if they get there at all.

Bottom line.... it's far too early to know for sure what's going to happen next year.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 09:53:45 PM »
I know there aren't a whole lotta Heat supporters round here but I didn't feel like being deafened by the community's collective uproarious laughter if I'd have mentioned the Pelicans in the thread title.

Obvious shit to look out for this offseason/coming season:

Ok, I am interested in those above questions.

1. I can see three possible outcomes there.
a) Both CP3 and D12 stay put
b) If the Hawks are aggressive enough and make some of the right moves, they could get both CP3 and D12 (long shot)
c) Somehow, I think this is a more likely scenario. CP3 stays put with the Clippers, the Lakers and Rockets engage in a serious sign-and-trade for D12... see #7 for more.

4. Define "Done". Can the Lakers challenge for the title next year even if Nash turns back the clock to 2005? Long shot. But will they be competitive? You bet. Nash can still play at an above average level, but like TD or Manu, don't expect him to go beyond 30 or so minutes a game.

5. TD will stay for one more (I think) and retire a Spur. Manu will likely retire this summer, IMO. Also, I think we've seen Leonard is developing into a nice on-court partner with TP, so don't be surprised the Spurs are going to keep building around those two going forward. Look for a (not a mis-typing) more athletic and more running style!

7. If somehow D12 is traded to the Rockets, Harden and him will be the center pieces in Houston for years to come. Regardless, Harden is GOOD player but he ain't a franchise guy, and I think the Rockets are aware of that too. IMHO, a fair deal for D12 would have to include AT LEAST Patrick Beverley, Chandler Parsons and Jeremy Lin + pick(s). Asik showed he can be a good center last season, but his contract is a killer toward the end of its life. So as a Lakers fan I don't want his contract. But, if such a deal cannot be made, look for D12 returning to the Lakers and acts like as if nothing has ever happened.  :hat
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Aefenwelg

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 10:14:08 PM »
Doc - Ugh, basketball reasons part 2. Stern should've shut up and just let him go to the clips.
I don't think CP3 is going anywhere regardless; any new coach is going to be an upgrade from VDN.
Dwight Howard is the big question mark because his mind is so fragile and fickle. You really can't guess what's going on up there.

Yes. This is really just a homer pick though.

Yes. 7th chip for the Bulls!

I really wish Nash hadn't gone to the Lakers, because I want him to do well and get a chip a la Kidd. I don't want Howard to get one though. But to answer the question, yes, they are done for now.
Just wait till next year when they get Wiggins.

Kawhi Leonard is the next era of Spurs. They actually have a ton of cap space this offseason, so I expect them to be right back in it next year.

Eh, I'll have to see this season before I can give Curry that much.

This really depends on Howard and what the Rockets' plan B is. I actually want them to get Josh Smith. Sure he can be a big idiot frequently, but I think he fits with their athleticism, fast pace, and he and Asik would be monstrous defensively.

The Wolves were actually a lot of people's pick for the 8th seed in the west before they all died. I think they'll be in the playoff hunt. The other two are just really bad and will be in the Wiggins/Parker hunt.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 07:25:16 PM »
Geez... I guess in the end the Clippers is still the Clippers. After stopping the Doc Rivers to LA talks, they are aggressively talking to Byron Scott? I mean, even for a Lakers fan I find Scott is as ordinary as any coach can be out there. If the indeed hire Scott at the end... well, good luck.  :hat
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

• DT.net Member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 09:36:32 PM »
CP3 and Scott lost game 7 in the 2008 Western semis against the defending champion Spurs with what seems like an inferior cast. I really don't know what to make of that but if those two plus David West, a less-developed earlier-career Tyson Chandler, and an over-the-hill Peja Stojakovic can come that close to the WCF, then I see no reason why them teaming up with DeAndre Jordan and Blake Griffin wouldn't be able to at least equal that.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 12:09:19 AM »
CP3 and Scott lost game 7 in the 2008 Western semis against the defending champion Spurs with what seems like an inferior cast. I really don't know what to make of that but if those two plus David West, a less-developed earlier-career Tyson Chandler, and an over-the-hill Peja Stojakovic can come that close to the WCF, then I see no reason why them teaming up with DeAndre Jordan and Blake Griffin wouldn't be able to at least equal that.

Maybe, but IMO Scott is not good at making proper adjustments, his strategies seem to be pretty predictable; and his 3 years with the Cavs also seemed to suggest he ain't a good teacher either. Then why not give either Lionel Hollins or B Shaw a more serious look?
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 04:27:18 PM »
Clippers get Rivers for a 2015 First Round Pick. Awesome.....

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 05:48:11 PM »

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 10:13:47 PM »

I wonder if it's against the rules to have that many LeBron's on the court at the same time.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 10:44:29 PM »
That is awesome.  On a related note, here is a file of all of the shots Chris Bosh made in Game 7:

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 10:46:23 PM »
 :lol

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 11:33:56 PM »
Clippers get Rivers for a 2015 First Round Pick. Awesome.....

Great move for the Clippers, and it looks like there is one less reason for CP3 to go anywhere else.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Aefenwelg

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 11:53:34 PM »
And with Stern putting the kibosh on any more interactions between LAC and BOS, it's pretty likely Chicago's gonna end up with KG.  ;D

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2013, 12:02:20 AM »
The Clippers can still trade for KG and Pierce they just weren't allowed to get KG+Doc Rivers at the same time.

Offline Aefenwelg

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 12:18:29 AM »
Nah, the league has said that any future deals will be seen as a violation.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2013, 12:22:40 AM »
Why? Did they determine that some illegal activity occurred in the initial LAC/BOS talks and then made it that any future trades/acquisitions involving the players/coaches involved in that potential deal are off limits for the remainder of this offseason/coming season?

Offline Aefenwelg

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 12:37:10 AM »
Okay, so the initial talks were what just happened with Doc for a 1st rounder plus KG for Jordan or something like that.
You can't actually trade coaches for players, so that deal was impossible to do.
You can, however, compensate a team for allowing you to hire their coach. This is why Doc for a 1st rounder is allowed.
But you can't have conditional trades, i.e. "Hey, let's do this KG for Jordan thing, and we promise we'll let you hire Doc later"

So, since they had the initial talks, the league isn't letting them split it up as two different things.

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 12:55:53 AM »
All the Clippers have to do is convince the league it's a separate deal from the initial one which really isn't a hard thing to do.

Offline Aefenwelg

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2013, 01:08:26 AM »
I think you're underestimating David Stern.

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2013, 01:16:54 AM »
I don't know this is the guy who thought $5,000 fines would stop people who make millions from flopping. He also made the WNBA so he can't be that smart. At the end of the day David Stern will do what will make him the most money, and allowing the Clippers to acquire KG and Paul Pierce will make him the most money.

Offline Aefenwelg

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2013, 01:22:31 AM »
I think he's more the guy who thought $5,000 fines would make it seem like he's trying to stop flopping.

Anyways, KG to the Bulls would create a real rival to the Heat in the East. That's probably going to get a lot of money, too.

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 01:47:28 AM »
Even if KG waived his no trade clause to go to Chicago which I don't see why he would. I don't see that making the Bulls a threat to Miami unless they magically acquire a bench in the offseason.

Offline Aefenwelg

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2013, 02:05:05 AM »
Point One: KG

One of the big reasons KG would waive his no trade clause to go to LAC was Doc.
KG didn't want to be on a rebuilding team and he wanted a familiar coach in Doc.
CHI is not a rebuilding team and Thibs was on assistant with BOS while KG played there.

Point Two: The Trade

The basis of the trade that I could see happening is:

Boozer -> BKN
Humphries -> BOS
KG -> CHI

That's obviously not the whole thing; there would be picks and whatnot involved.

BKN does it because Boozer is better Humphries and they clearly don't care how much they spend.
BOS does it because Humphries is an expiring and they get the aforementioned picks and whatnot.
CHI does it because KG.

Point Three: The Bulls

You make it seem like the Bulls would be hardpressed to dig up a bench from nowhere, but that's exactly what they did this past season.
I'm going to assume that with the addition of KG, the front office would be more willing to spend and keep our guys.

That would give a lineup of:

Rose/ Nate/ Teague
Butler/ Hinrich (I'm putting Hinrich in the SG position because I liked the Nate/Hinrich lineup)
Deng/ Bellinelli
KG/ Taj
Noah/ #20 (I'm assuming the Bulls get a big in the draft)/ Nazr

Nobody could score on that, and with Rose and KG being solid offensively with Butler also coming along, I don't see how the Bulls aren't a threat to Miami.

Offline Syzzle

Re: 2013-14 NBA thread v. Teh Rivers (Doc to LAC?)
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2013, 02:30:27 AM »
The Bulls aren't keeping Nate unless he's willing to take less money and I wouldn't bet on him doing that. It seems like you also assume the Bulls would be playing the same Miami team from this year which most likely won't be the case. They will probably pick up a big or 2 in case Greg Oden can't stay healthy which there is a 99% chance he won't. With a competent big Miami wipes out any weakness they had in the past.

LeBron/Chalmers/Cole
Wade/Allen
Battier/Miller
Bosh/Haslem
Oden/What ever the other big is they pick up

As long as Wade and Oden stay healthy you can forget about anyone being a threat to Miami.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2013, 04:55:25 AM »
Why would Chicago want to get rid of Boozer? They don't need to change their starting lineup at all, they just need a couple of bench guys that can come in and produce. They need a couple of bigs to give Noah and Boozer a rest and maybe get a decent shooting guard which is their weakest spot but they don't need KG, that's for sure
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Aefenwelg

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2013, 07:05:50 AM »
Boozer is not good on defense.

He shies away from big moments, so when we actually need his offense, it's not there.
Chicago doesn't need KG, but he'd be good to have.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2013, 07:09:47 AM »
He'd be good to have, but I wouldn't wanna rely on the knees of him for my hopes to win a championship. He's played 47,801 minutes, that's a lot of mileage!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2013, 08:44:32 AM »
KG is too old, I wouldn't put my money on him. This came on my FB today, anyone know if this is true?

LaMarcus Aldridge is the jump shooting power forward that Ric Bucher reported was interested in joining the Bulls [back in February].

Portland would want Joakim Noah if they moved LaMarcus Aldridge. Chicago Bulls have been looking for a 3rd team that they could send Deng instead and get Portland something of value. I have not heard anything of late though, but I do know the Bulls will go after him. Can you imagine them working together beast of a team.

Now, that looks like it would be a much more interesting deal. if they did this they could use Boozer as a trading card for a good Deng replacement, I'm thinking maybe Granger who might get relegated given George's awesome season.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2013, 02:59:03 PM »
As we all have heard over the last couple of hours now, Chicago and Washington are in trade talks that would send Deng to Washington for Emeka Okafor and the 3rd overall pick in this years draft.

Some Bulls fans might say this is a stupid trade or we are losing the trade. YOUR'E WRONG!

With the 3rd overall pick we can pick-up a 2 guard that we desperately need in Ben McLemore, and we can get a back-up center that we need in Emeka Okafor since Nazr Mohammad is a free agent and we are over the tax limit. Don't forget we also own the 20th pick and we can possibly get another big man in Alex Len and we can be strong if Noah get's hurt of Boozer get's hurt.

This trade will also strengthen our bench mob that we lacked from a season ago all season and during the playoffs definitely against the Heat when fatigue sat in on us. So if I were the GM Gar Forman I would pull the trigger because this would lead to a lot of success as our superstar is set to return on opening night.

Don't forget this would be our line-up if this trade happens,

PG: Derrick Rose
SG: Ben McLemore
SF: Jimmy Butler
PF: Carlos Boozer
C: Joakim Noah

:huh:

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2013, 03:21:45 PM »
That lineup would not strike fear in the hearts of anyone!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2013, 03:54:37 PM »
Derrick Rose might not come back at all if they perform that trade :lol

Offline Aefenwelg

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2013, 04:04:29 PM »
Yeah, I don't like that.

It shakes up the team in a bad way for the 3rd pick in a bad draft.

What would the Bulls do with Okafor? Backup C? They can get that with the 20th.
Bulls are already week at SF, this would would just create a hole.

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2013, 04:19:42 PM »
Maybe they want to tank for a chance at Wiggins ??? :lol