Author Topic: I just released a chipmusic album heavily inspired by progrock/prog metal  (Read 1147 times)

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yesterday I released "Seven Journeys to a New Home". It contains of 7 track which are streamable on bandcamp + a bonus track which you get if you buy the album [$5). I get my main inspiration from bands like DT, LTE, Shadow Gallery, Pain of Salvation and Ayreon (amongst others). You can get it here: https://kartmaze.bandcamp.com/album/seven-journeys-to-a-new-home

Offline Frank

Really cool! :tup

I haven't had too much exposure to progressive chiptune, and while at certain points the songs seemed indistinct for me due to either the limitations of the sound or my unfamiliarity with the genre, there was some really nice stuff in there and I'm sure repeated listens will give me a greater understanding of the nuances inside the work. I'm very happy I made the purchase. Perhaps I'll try to take some time in the future and do a cover of one of the songs. I look forward to your next work!
Ahh, I hit the home button!
- Jordan Rudess

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
Thank you for you kind words  ;D
It would've been awesome to hear a cover of one of the songs indeed!  :metal

I'm working on my next project now. Aiming for a release during winter or spring. It will be more dynamic and have a hybrid chip/synth sound instead the more pure chip sound on Seven Journeys. So far it sounds really promising and I think it will be an improvement from Seven Journeys on many levels.

Offline Frank

Ah, that sounds extremely promising (and dare I say, progressive? :neverusethis:) indeed! Keep us updated! Maybe some merch would be nice too - I'd be happy to support.

For some reason I'm noticing the Ayreon influence much more than before, or even some rhythms like in Star One. The very beginning of Brownout for instance sounds like it could have been written by Arjen himself.  :hefdaddy

And y'know, I was essentially addicted to video games when I was a kid. I'm listening to the album right now envisioning myself as an 8 year old paying an 8-bit or 16-bit epic sidescroller to this. Both the heavy parts and the smoother parts sound like it would be magical in that sort of environment. If only...
Ahh, I hit the home button!
- Jordan Rudess