Author Topic: While Heaven Wept v. Suspended At Aphelion  (Read 4298 times)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
While Heaven Wept v. Suspended At Aphelion
« on: June 18, 2013, 05:11:44 PM »
Any other fans of this great band here? I only have Fear Of Infinity, but I'd like to at least get Vast Oceans Lachrymose. The rest of their albums seem to be out of print.

For anyone unfamiliar with the band, this is from Wikipedia.

While Heaven Wept (often abbreviated as WHW) is an epic doom metal band based in Dale City, Virginia, USA. The primary writer and overall engine of the band is mainman Tom Phillips. Their melodic, classically influenced style could be compared to bands such as Solitude Aeturnus and Solstice (the latter of which Tom Phillips is a former member); however, 2003's acclaimed Of Empires Forlorn saw the band branching out into a variety of metal and progressive styles. This trend continues on their 2009 album, Vast Oceans Lachrymose.
While Heaven Wept's lyrics have traditionally dealt with sorrowful matters, namely, personal loss and despondency.

UPDATED FOR NEW ALBUM OUT NOW

I: Introspectus
II: Icarus And I
III: Ardor
IV: Heartburst
V: Indifference Turned Paralysis
VI: The Memory Of Bleeding
VII: Souls In Permafrost
VIII: Searching The Stars
IX: Reminiscence Of Strangers
X: Lifelines Lost
XI: Retrospectus

https://www.nuclearblast.de/en/label/music/news/details/3524815.while-heaven-wept-cover-art-and-details.html
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 12:20:23 PM by Shadow Ninja 2.0 »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Re: While Heaven Wept v. Any Other Fans?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 09:50:32 PM »
Nobody?  :sadpanda: :'(

Offline adace

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 10:01:18 PM »
I listened to Vast Oceans Lachrymose a while ago and it was excellent. Kinda reminded me of Candlemass but more progressive. I'll definitely have to revisit them soon.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 01:45:37 AM »
I listened to Vast Oceans Lachrymose a while ago and it was excellent. Kinda reminded me of Candlemass but more progressive. I'll definitely have to revisit them soon.
^all of this. It's a pretty great band.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 02:46:05 AM »
I was inspired by the cover art of Vast Oceans Milena posted in RJ's thread and put this on. Sweet lord this music is AWESOME  :omg:
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 06:48:07 AM »
Love them. Fantastic band-Vast Oceans Lachrymose and Fear of Infinity are amazing albums, they kind of work this melodic progressive doom metal thing that shouldn't work-the lyrics are almost at total odds with how almost uplifting the music can be, and yet it works amazingly. Their earlier albums are largely the same, though not quite as good since they didn't have a dedicated vocalist then so the singing lacks. I got into them around the time I started posting here, fantastic band.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 08:26:18 AM »
I love Vast Oceans Lachrymose, cant even remember how i discovered WHW.  Hoping to see them live at some point, and hopefully theyre working on new music, im not sure

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 09:28:07 AM »
I love Vast Oceans Lachrymose, cant even remember how i discovered WHW.  Hoping to see them live at some point, and hopefully theyre working on new music, im not sure

I hope so, but I'm not sure. Their website hasn't been updated in months, and I haven't seen anything on their FaceBook.

Then again, I'm not really FaceBook literate, so I may have missed something.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 09:40:40 AM »

I hope so, but I'm not sure. Their website hasn't been updated in months, and I haven't seen anything on their FaceBook.

Then again, I'm not really FaceBook literate, so I may have missed something.
Here's a nice message from Rain explaining what's going on: https://www.facebook.com/whileheavenwept/posts/146667068843317

They also posted a bit about Jeff Hanneman's death and other matters recently.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 09:45:50 AM »
Ah, thanks for that. One day, I'm going to learn how to use FaceBook. But not today!  (Edit on July 13th 2013: I now understand FaceBook)

Anyway, it sounds like they're still working, so that's good. Hopefully we'll have a new album soon.

He mentioned touring in 2014, would that mean the album would be out before then? :wishfulthinking:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 06:35:51 PM by Shadow Ninja 2.0 »

Offline adace

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 03:47:18 PM »
Forgot to mention these two bands before. Really good epic doom, WHW fans should dig it.

Ereb Altor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExSJadIR77c (they have a new album coming out next month)
Isole: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wIIE-sUenY

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 11:37:17 AM »
Found this on their FaceBook page.

It is with great sadness that I report the passing of my one-time close friend, colleague, and brother Shin Okamoto...founder and mainman behind one of the few Epic Doom Metal bands that have ever existed. And Millarca were one of the very best. There was a time when Candlemass was gone - only Solitude, WHW, Solstice, Forlorn, and Millarca existed...and we were all particularly close. In the years since Shin ended the band, we'd lost touch...despite all efforts to reach him...not just of mine; I know at various times Rich, John Perez, and I all wanted to create a CD compilation of all their demos amongst other things. But in the end, his music will live on and I won't let it be forgotten...however, for me...I've lost a brother unlike any other...that only those who were there would understand. I ask the entire Doom Metal community to take a moment of silence in his memory. RIP Shin, my brother. - Tom Phillips

Couple of days late but RIP.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 07:30:11 AM »
Great news today!

Quote from:  While Heaven Wept
After much soulsearching, debate, and discussion, we've unanimously decided to "shelf" one of the albums "waiting in the wings" for sometime down the road and unleash the full force of While Heaven Wept via the 40+ minute 10 part epic next...it's literally everything we've got to give and after a quiet year we want to ring in our 25th anniversary with a nuclear blast...so with that, we're going to get down to business here. We'll keep everyone posted, but the gist is we'll be spending the remainder of 2013 working our way toward the studio so as to get this colossus out as soon as possible in 2014. Cheers for your ongoing support and patience...we assure you it will be worth the wait...as this is far beyond "The Furthest Shore", "Finality", and "Thus With A Kiss I Die" unquestionably...THE ultimate WHW EPIC...is coming soon...

:metal :metal

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 12:10:51 PM »
EXCITING news from the WHW camp!

Quote from: While Heaven Wept
New album update from Tom: "Just wanted to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their support of WHW throughout the years being that it's Thanksgiving time...you all mean the world to me. And with that said...I thought I'd give you a long-overdue update regarding the new EXTREMELY epic album...yes, the one that is an epic unto itself: as of today, the updated structure is complete...direct results from this past weekend's pre-production work. We've also discussed the schedule for the realization of this with Nuclear Blast EUROPE and recording will commence in April...for a cold autumn 2014 release! Much more news to follow...but as a personal aside...it is very obvious that this 40 minute song is light years beyond anything we've ever done...never thought we could 'top' "Vast Oceans Lachrymose"...but this will decimate it. Expect the nothing less than the definitive While Heaven Wept statement."

Offline adace

Re: While Heaven Wept v. Seriously, guys? :sadpanda:
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2014, 11:29:37 AM »
2014-08-06 14:00 - Virginia's long running epic metal legends are commemorating their 25th year with the release of their sixth full length album »Suspended At Aphelion« via Nuclear Blast this October. »Suspended At Aphelion« is undoubtedly their most ambitious, epic, and progressive album so far featuring a single track divided into 11 parts, performed by the entire »Fear Of Infinity« line-up as well as several esteemed guests, including FATES WARNING alumni drummer Mark Zonder and co-founding guitarist Victor Arduini - uniting two eras of FATES WARNING for the first time ever.

WHILE HEAVEN WEPT mainman Tom Phillips offered more insight into the album: "While most of our albums have been thematic, this is the first time we've released something entirely of a conceptual nature in the grand tradition of PINK FLOYD, GENESIS, RUSH, MARILLION, IRON MAIDEN, KING DIAMOND, QUEENSRYCHE, and of course FATES WARNING...and musically, this album falls somewhere in the middle of all of that with a touch of Viking-era BATHORY as well"

The signature sound of WHILE HEAVEN WEPT remains fully intact, yet has evolved; Phillips explains: "We've always been characterized by emotional sincerity, bombast, sweeping melodies, and dense orchestration, and »Suspended At Aphelion« is no exception - however, this really is another level for us in that it's the first album featuring all-new material composed in this decade (as opposed to previous releases which often culled from years of archival material), it's full of twists, turns, modulations, time changes, harmonic content rarely heard in metal, and tons of counterpoint. This is all augmented by actual cellos, violins, classical guitars, an array of percussion, and genuine analog synths."

"Over the last few years, we've had some audiophiles reaching out to us regarding the "loudness wars", so we were very much committed to delivering an album with a wide dynamic range, with very little peak reduction or compression...insuring it was as dynamic and organic as possible versus being Pro-Tooled to death or overtly compressed/limited for loudness...not unlike our labelmates SATYRICON, who definitely impacted our approach to »Suspended At Aphelion«...so you may have to turn it up compared to "X album" from 2014, but we feel like this epic journey is even more gratifying because of this."

I: Introspectus
II: Icarus And I
III: Ardor
IV: Heartburst
V: Indifference Turned Paralysis
VI: The Memory Of Bleeding
VII: Souls In Permafrost
VIII: Searching The Stars
IX: Reminiscence Of Strangers
X: Lifelines Lost
XI: Retrospectus

https://www.nuclearblast.de/en/label/music/news/details/3524815.while-heaven-wept-cover-art-and-details.html

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Re: While Heaven Wept v. Seriously, guys? :sadpanda:
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2014, 12:30:34 PM »
Saw that on Facebook earlier today. Looks freakin awesome.

Offline Jaq

Re: While Heaven Wept v. Suspended At Aphelion
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2014, 04:40:07 PM »
Holy fuck. I'm there <3
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2014, 07:00:24 PM »
This interests me, even having heard no song by them. Will fix that.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2014, 03:12:08 AM »
Pants creamed.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2014, 08:46:38 AM »
Listening to The Furthest Shore... sounds awesome far. This better be good.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2014, 09:20:13 AM »
Oh it will be.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2014, 02:11:00 PM »
This was good.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2014, 02:52:20 PM »
:burns:

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2014, 02:18:30 AM »
NP: Fear of Infinity

Dis rawks. I need to listen to this band more.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2014, 07:21:38 PM »
I've decided that To Wander The Void is my favorite WHW song. :metal

Offline adace

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2014, 02:07:36 AM »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2014, 06:12:58 AM »
Can't listen now, what's it sound like?

Offline adace

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2014, 01:14:32 PM »
Pretty much as epic as you'd expect as you'd expect from them. Very symphonic and classically influenced. No real doom elements though. Also, harsh vocals!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2014, 01:28:03 PM »
Yeah, I finally got a chance to listen just now. Sounds great, and the harshes are pretty cool. Is that Rain doing them? I've never heard that from him before.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2014, 09:28:54 AM »
not exciting me at all, and the harsh vocals make it worse.

give me the big melodies from Vast Oceans.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline adace

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2014, 06:27:03 AM »
Hmm, I can't say that the short tracks will bother me. I'm likely to only listen to the album as a single unit, so I probably won't even notice.

Also, unrelated, but this live video is absolutely incredible. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh3o2BB3Txw

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2014, 01:19:16 PM »
fuuuuuuckkkk still in class

Offline Jaq

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2014, 12:05:51 PM »
The new one is amazing. While Heaven Wept is so insanely underrated as a band.