Author Topic: 2014-01-16 - Palacio Vistalegre - Madrid, ESP  (Read 43197 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: 2014-01-16 - Palacio Vistalegre - Madrid, ESP
« Reply #140 on: January 16, 2014, 11:07:35 PM »
Cool!!! Illumination is THE song to be heard on this tour.

If so....after just now watching IT from the first show...  I'm not going to be a happy camper.  We had no clue what they would do for the orch. section prior to the start of the tour.  What I saw from the first show?  4 mins of vid and no actual band performance???  No....  this will be a major disappointment for me if it's presented in this state when I see them.

I quite like what they've done there. They could not have pulled it off as well if performed live by the keys, so they used a tape. And instead of just having the band standing around for 4 minutes, they dimmed the lights, and made it a cinematic video moment fitting for such a cinematic sounding score.
That orchestral recording is just so beautiful, that I don't think doing it synth would have had the same impact, and I'd enjoy seeing my favourite part of the song enhanced by video, and creating a unique live moment.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #141 on: January 16, 2014, 11:08:13 PM »
I am so happy they're playing sdv.

BOTH of them, actually!!! :tup

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #142 on: January 16, 2014, 11:21:23 PM »
We'll see what excitement there is on the next show I guess. Hopefully with it being another Spain show they can sort out the technical equipment with no pressure

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #143 on: January 17, 2014, 12:11:53 AM »

If so....after just now watching IT from the first show...  I'm not going to be a happy camper.  We had no clue what they would do for the orch. section prior to the start of the tour.  What I saw from the first show?  4 mins of vid and no actual band performance???  No....  this will be a major disappointment for me if it's presented in this state when I see them.

I quite like what they've done there. They could not have pulled it off as well if performed live by the keys, so they used a tape. And instead of just having the band standing around for 4 minutes, they dimmed the lights, and made it a cinematic video moment fitting for such a cinematic sounding score.
That orchestral recording is just so beautiful, that I don't think doing it synth would have had the same impact, and I'd enjoy seeing my favourite part of the song enhanced by video, and creating a unique live moment.

I'm with Blob. The video that Thomas created flows so perfect with the music. It deserves it's own spotlight.
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Online RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #144 on: January 17, 2014, 03:02:25 AM »
All right, I am here in Pamplona already...bring it on, DTĦĦĦ!!!

Offline Estiui

« Reply #145 on: January 17, 2014, 03:17:39 AM »
All right, I am here in Pamplona already...bring it on, DTĦĦĦ!!!

Are you going to Barcelona's gig too? If so, please check the setup to be ready at the accorded time, please  :laugh:

Online RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #146 on: January 17, 2014, 03:31:21 AM »
I am usually at the venue very early...hopefully they'll get it right here and in Barcelona.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #147 on: January 17, 2014, 06:00:57 AM »

I'm with Blob. The video that Thomas created flows so perfect with the music. It deserves it's own spotlight.
So I'm guessing the fans in Boston will hear it played live?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Manzanetti

« Reply #148 on: January 17, 2014, 09:07:07 AM »
Hello guys! I was in Madrid last night and it was a shame. I paid 44€ (like $60) for an Evening with show, what is a lot considering that in Spain the medium salary is about 700-800€ (like $.1000) and just the rent of a flat costs 600€. But well, I was really happy to pay for it because it was gonna be so epic! I wasn't attending (because I had no money), but when I saw the setlist they played in Oporto, I bought my ticket and went to Madrid (I live like 420 km away from there). I waited for 8 hours at the gates, freezing. But I was happy when we entered the pit, because I was going to enjoy a ~3 hours show from my favourite band... and with Illumination Theory! You can imagine my face at the end of the night... haha.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the show like a child. The setlist was awesome, but the issues ruined the experience.

- The trucks arrived at the arena at 2 pm. That is QUITE late.
- Some employees were talking about the hour the show should end: 23:30.
- They should have opened the doors at 19:00, but they didn't until 20:00. An employee came and told us: we're opening the door so you don't freeze here outside, but you'll have to wait a little more inside. Yes, we came in, but we had to wait (without entering the pit) like 45 minutes more. In the meanwhile, they were doing the soundcheck (Ħat half past eight!)
- At 20:45 aprox., they let us in... only through one door. I was one of the first to enter, but the show started at 21:15 (or so), so when the last fans entered they were already playing. Incredible.
- They sold sitting tickets and standing tickets, but lately they decided not to open the sitting zone. People who bought a sitting ticket (not me) had to stand in the pit with no compensation.
- With False Awakening Suite there were horrible problems. No projections, but that was not the worst. The track stopped, then resumed, then stopped, then resumed and then stopped again and restarted from the beggining. Incredibe.
- The curtain didn't fall as the song ended, we had to wait some seconds. That killed all the magic.
- From my place, the sound was pretty good. Enjoyed a lot.
- LaBrie admited some technical problems with sound and video. The band was vissibly pissed off. No projections, just live cameras of the band itself.
- They were OK, but not great. Some mistakes were made - especially the one in The Dance of Eternity. Mangini got lost and took Petrucci with him, for like 30 seconds. It was pretty annoying.
- LaBrie was OK, but he made some mistakes, too. It was a difficult night for him, no doubt.
- They seemed to have some problems with their in-ear monitors.
- The lack of Scarred and Illumination Theory was devastating. People paid a very expensive ticket to see a 3 hour concert and instead they got a 2h 15m one. Even with that, everyone supported the band, as we understood that it wasn't their fault.
- There was a ridiculous amount of police vans and officers there. At least 8-9 vans at the door, and police INSIDE the enclosure (not the pit, but the gates zone) to make sure people leaved at 23:30.
- The band was really pissed off. Rudess' face was a poem. Mangini was blushed and saying he was sorry. LaBrie could be the one more irritated.

So, it was a bad night for everyone. I hope that they play Illumination Theory the next time they come to Madrid, at least :P

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #149 on: January 17, 2014, 09:31:35 AM »
Thanks for informations. I realky feel bad for you but I'm not doubting they'll play IT next time in Madrid ;) I also hope rest of tour will be perfect :)
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #150 on: January 17, 2014, 09:43:33 AM »
- They were OK, but not great. Some mistakes were made - especially the one in The Dance of Eternity. Mangini got lost and took Petrucci with him, for like 30 seconds. It was pretty annoying.
Could somebody that was there explain where specifically Mangini got lost? And i think i read earlier in this thread that it was because of they're backing track or in ear monitors getting all screwy

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #151 on: January 17, 2014, 09:47:25 AM »
Could somebody that was there explain where specifically Mangini got lost? And i think i read earlier in this thread that it was because of they're backing track or in ear monitors getting all screwy

I wasn't there, but I heard it was right after the part that goes WAAAH!-cha-chug-cha-chug-chug-chug, weedly-weedly-weedly-wah-WEEEEEEEEE-woo-woo-WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #152 on: January 17, 2014, 09:51:00 AM »

I wasn't there, but I heard it was right after the part that goes WAAAH!-cha-chug-cha-chug-chug-chug, weedly-weedly-weedly-wah-WEEEEEEEEE-woo-woo-WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

That's my favorite part

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #153 on: January 17, 2014, 10:47:12 AM »
C'mon Bosk - you know better! That's in SDVu, not TDoE!!!!    :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #154 on: January 17, 2014, 11:10:09 AM »
Well, but it's reprised in TDOE, so we're BOTH right.  :biggrin:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: January 17, 2014, 12:01:28 PM »

:lol :lol :lol
I have always found it quaint, and rather touching, that there is a movement in the U.S. that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: January 17, 2014, 02:10:19 PM »
Hello guys! I was in Madrid last night and it was a shame. I paid 44€ (like $60) for an Evening with show, what is a lot considering that in Spain the medium salary is about 700-800€ (like $.1000) and just the rent of a flat costs 600€. But well, I was really happy to pay for it because it was gonna be so epic! I wasn't attending (because I had no money), but when I saw the setlist they played in Oporto, I bought my ticket and went to Madrid (I live like 420 km away from there). I waited for 8 hours at the gates, freezing. But I was happy when we entered the pit, because I was going to enjoy a ~3 hours show from my favourite band... and with Illumination Theory! You can imagine my face at the end of the night... haha.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the show like a child. The setlist was awesome, but the issues ruined the experience.

- The trucks arrived at the arena at 2 pm. That is QUITE late.
- Some employees were talking about the hour the show should end: 23:30.
- They should have opened the doors at 19:00, but they didn't until 20:00. An employee came and told us: we're opening the door so you don't freeze here outside, but you'll have to wait a little more inside. Yes, we came in, but we had to wait (without entering the pit) like 45 minutes more. In the meanwhile, they were doing the soundcheck (Ħat half past eight!)
- At 20:45 aprox., they let us in... only through one door. I was one of the first to enter, but the show started at 21:15 (or so), so when the last fans entered they were already playing. Incredible.
- They sold sitting tickets and standing tickets, but lately they decided not to open the sitting zone. People who bought a sitting ticket (not me) had to stand in the pit with no compensation.
- With False Awakening Suite there were horrible problems. No projections, but that was not the worst. The track stopped, then resumed, then stopped, then resumed and then stopped again and restarted from the beggining. Incredibe.
- The curtain didn't fall as the song ended, we had to wait some seconds. That killed all the magic.
- From my place, the sound was pretty good. Enjoyed a lot.
- LaBrie admited some technical problems with sound and video. The band was vissibly pissed off. No projections, just live cameras of the band itself.
- LaBrie was OK, but he made some mistakes, too. It was a difficult night for him, no doubt.
- They seemed to have some problems with their in-ear monitors.
- The lack of Scarred and Illumination Theory was devastating. People paid a very expensive ticket to see a 3 hour concert and instead they got a 2h 15m one. Even with that, everyone supported the band, as we understood that it wasn't their fault.
- There was a ridiculous amount of police vans and officers there. At least 8-9 vans at the door, and police INSIDE the enclosure (not the pit, but the gates zone) to make sure people leaved at 23:30.
- The band was really pissed off. Rudess' face was a poem. Mangini was blushed and saying he was sorry. LaBrie could be the one more irritated.

So, it was a bad night for everyone. I hope that they play Illumination Theory the next time they come to Madrid, at least :P
Wow man. My sympathies. Sounds like it was a rough night for the band, too. They said they'd make up for it - I wonder how?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #157 on: January 17, 2014, 02:29:27 PM »
I definitely feel bad for the band - sucks when this sort of thing happens and it's completely out of their control. But props for them doing the show - would've been easy enough for them to say "screw it" and cancel the gig.

It reminds me of the first American show on Inner Tourbulence, in Phoenix. The band had played in Mexico 2 days before, but their equipment got held up in customs. IIRC, they didn't even get to do load-in until 4pm and apparently were very close to canceling the show, which would've sucked since I had driven 5.5 hours to see the show. The show itself was plagued with problems - I remember there being feedback at least a couple times and JL even having to say something into the microphone about it since the soundguy apparently hadn't realized it was there, and I'm pretty sure that there were some flubs as well. On top of that, they skipped the second set completely (performing the title track to SDoIT) and just did an encore.

So I sympathize with those who attended this show and got short changed, but just like me in Phoenix, at least they got to see the show!  :)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #158 on: January 17, 2014, 02:47:08 PM »
Well I feel bad for anyone stuck outside, a late start, and scratched songs. That definitely sucks.

On the bright side, you do get the unique experience of seeing the technical flubs and the apparent near train wrecks. That's something most people don't get and those things actually give me a greater appreciation of the band.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: January 17, 2014, 02:51:38 PM »
I definitely feel bad for the band - sucks when this sort of thing happens and it's completely out of their control. But props for them doing the show - would've been easy enough for them to say "screw it" and cancel the gig.

It reminds me of the first American show on Inner Tourbulence, in Phoenix. The band had played in Mexico 2 days before, but their equipment got held up in customs. IIRC, they didn't even get to do load-in until 4pm and apparently were very close to canceling the show, which would've sucked since I had driven 5.5 hours to see the show. The show itself was plagued with problems - I remember there being feedback at least a couple times and JL even having to say something into the microphone about it since the soundguy apparently hadn't realized it was there, and I'm pretty sure that there were some flubs as well. On top of that, they skipped the second set completely (performing the title track to SDoIT) and just did an encore.

So I sympathize with those who attended this show and got short changed, but just like me in Phoenix, at least they got to see the show!  :)

While I missed the "troubled" show in Phoenix, I did get to see the next time they came back to Phoenix.  At that show, they apologized again for what happened the first time, and played the entire SDOIT just for us (or at least I think Phoenix was the only one to get the whole SDOIT that tour).  They also did ACOS as an encore that show if I remember correctly, so at least there's a chance that when they come back to Madrid, they may "make it up" somehow with something special.

Edit:  Looking back at the setlists, maybe I am mistaken with the way they made it up (I guess I'm confusing the ACOS encore with a different Phoenix show; doesn't surprise me in my advanced aging process), but I do remember them mentioning about the mess up from the previous time and doing something special for Phoenix that next time around.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #160 on: January 17, 2014, 03:40:44 PM »
Hmm.. Well at the very least, it's quite an amazing setlist. The other side of the coin is it'd be disappointing for some people not to get to experience it and loose out on a favourite song that they were hoping for (which used to happen all the time). Consistency can be good, although the mystery setlists were obviously more fun for us. :P

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #161 on: January 17, 2014, 03:49:18 PM »
Incidentally, I just realized that 10 years ago on the date of this show, DT had another terrible gig - the first gig of the entire Train of Thought tour, in Manchester, England. It was so bad that MP requested that bootlegs of the show not be circulated!

Maybe it's best for DT to avoid shows on January 16th every 10 years?   :biggrin:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #162 on: January 17, 2014, 03:50:10 PM »
I had a bad day at work yesterday, too.  I HATE YOU, JANUARY 16TH!  >:(

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #163 on: January 17, 2014, 03:54:18 PM »
Incidentally, I just realized that 10 years ago on the date of this show, DT had another terrible gig - the first gig of the entire Train of Thought tour, in Manchester, England. It was so bad that MP requested that bootlegs of the show not be circulated!

Maybe it's best for DT to avoid shows on January 16th every 10 years?   :biggrin:
What was so bad about it? Everything went wrong?

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #164 on: January 17, 2014, 03:56:04 PM »
It was a warmup gig, the first of the tour. The band was pretty rusty, but the awfulness of that show is rather overestimated, IMO.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #165 on: January 17, 2014, 04:11:25 PM »
It was a warmup gig, the first of the tour. The band was pretty rusty, but the awfulness of that show is rather overestimated, IMO.

agreed. I was there too with my ex-wife who was dreading the gig because it wasnt really her type of music but she really enjoyed it. If I remember rightly they played the whole of Train of Thought in one block as per the CD??!!

Offline Onno

« Reply #166 on: January 17, 2014, 04:14:53 PM »

agreed. I was there too with my ex-wife who was dreading the gig because it wasnt really her type of music but she really enjoyed it. If I remember rightly they played the whole of Train of Thought in one block as per the CD??!!
Yep.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #167 on: January 17, 2014, 04:17:53 PM »

Yep.

FTFY.  :tup

Offline Onno

« Reply #168 on: January 17, 2014, 04:19:03 PM »
Fair enough  :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #169 on: January 17, 2014, 04:33:44 PM »

Yep.

The info of which originally came from where?   :-*

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #170 on: January 17, 2014, 04:35:46 PM »

Interesting...I don't really talk with any of my exes let alone go to concerts with them

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #171 on: January 17, 2014, 05:38:34 PM »
There's a few decent videos on YouTube of this show, featuring full songs. Off the top of my head, by searching "dream theater madrid 2014" I found The Shattered Fortress, Trial of Tears, Along for the Ride, Overture 1928/Strange Deja Vu, Finally Free, and Space-Dye Vest.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #172 on: January 17, 2014, 05:52:32 PM »

Yep.

:lol

Someone has setlist envy 

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: January 17, 2014, 07:46:43 PM »

I so hope you're right Blob.  Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #174 on: January 18, 2014, 04:26:05 AM »

Yep.

Fair point; but we don't speak of that place any more :lol

On topic, JLB sounds pretty good here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-NchdlIaes
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 04:42:47 AM by cyberdrummer »