Author Topic: 2014-01-16 - Palacio Vistalegre - Madrid, ESP  (Read 43199 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: 2014-01-16 - Palacio Vistalegre - Madrid, ESP
« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2014, 04:52:51 PM »
Not many bands can cut just two songs from their set to make up for an hour and a half late start.  ;D

Offline genome

« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2014, 04:53:32 PM »
An equipment truck broke down on the way to the venue and didn't arrive until late in the day.

Because of the hard curfew, Scarred and Illumination Theory were not played.

The police didn't stop the show.

...and that's the bottom line.

Did they go ahead with the show without said equipment then? Because if it ended up arriving anyway then the technical issues must be a separate thing. Maybe it was just one of those nights.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2014, 04:54:30 PM »
The hardest part was to wait in the cold weather for the doors to open...I almost peed my pants!!!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2014, 04:55:06 PM »
It's a shame to hear about the difficulties they had with this show. I'm glad it wasn't on the first show, at least.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2014, 04:56:23 PM »
When they skipped Scarred I thought "hey, different setlist!!!". Little did I know...

Offline Siddhartha

« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2014, 04:58:48 PM »

Did they go ahead with the show without said equipment then? Because if it ended up arriving anyway then the technical issues must be a separate thing. Maybe it was just one of those nights.

They have played without all the montage of the tour. It was basically the five of them playing with the big screen only showing live images of them.

Very naked show, but it was great. Only thing really really missing are IT.

But probably the guys were pissed. I have seen a lot of DT concerts and never seem them making so many and notorious mistakes while playing.

But hey, that happens to everybody once in a while, itīs the life on the road.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2014, 05:00:51 PM »
I for one am glad I'll have two more chances of catching them on a good night!

Offline Siddhartha

« Reply #112 on: January 16, 2014, 05:01:30 PM »
The hardest part was to wait in the cold weather for the doors to open...I almost peed my pants!!!

I had a meet and greet, so I entered a bit earlier (also delayed, but earlier than regular tickets), but I was thinking of you guys on the outside. It was frezing out there.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #113 on: January 16, 2014, 05:04:44 PM »
So how wss the meet & greet? I'll meet them tomorrow!!

It was sad to see people screaming "otra! otra!otra!" ("one more") and not getting it.

Offline Thomas Pasieka

• I create visuals for Dream Theater
« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2014, 05:06:22 PM »
That's a real bummer to hear! It's too bad you guys didn't get to experience  Illumination Theory.

Offline Siddhartha

« Reply #115 on: January 16, 2014, 05:10:26 PM »
So how wss the meet & greet? I'll meet them tomorrow!!

Fast.  You take your photo with them then they sign you the poster they give you and another item and thatīs it. You canīt talk to them to much just a couple of things.

Another thing interesting of the concert is that JP was for the first time playing his new MM Majesty model. The 7 strings was black and the 6 string one was in mystic blue. He have played the whole concert with these two guitars, except Breaking All Illusions that he played with the same guitar as Luna Park.

Offline Siddhartha

« Reply #116 on: January 16, 2014, 05:11:16 PM »
Sorry double post.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #117 on: January 16, 2014, 05:12:10 PM »
Thomas...is there any other song from the current tou that you created visuals for?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #118 on: January 16, 2014, 05:14:37 PM »
I did a meet & greet in Perth in 2009 and it was exactly the same...

Offline Thomas Pasieka

• I create visuals for Dream Theater
« Reply #119 on: January 16, 2014, 05:17:55 PM »
Thomas...is there any other song from the current tou that you created visuals for?

Hey there Rodrigo,

I created 3 videos for their show. Illumination Theory, The Shattered Fortress and Lifting Shadows Of A Dream :)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #120 on: January 16, 2014, 05:27:38 PM »
Cool!!! Illumination is THE song to be heard on this tour.

Offline Siddhartha

« Reply #121 on: January 16, 2014, 05:29:00 PM »

Yeah cool!!!

:-[ :-[

PD: I would bet they play it in Madrid on the next tour.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #122 on: January 16, 2014, 05:31:30 PM »
Technical issues aside, The Mirror/Lie and The Shattered Fortress were the high points of the night for me. Space-Dye Vest was good too, but I never cared much for it.

Offline kolahola

« Reply #123 on: January 16, 2014, 05:33:48 PM »
I was there at the concert. They didnt play Scarred. Awful, men, i waited and waited to see that song live, and i didnt get anything. They should cut OBOA instead of two awesome pieces of art such as IT and Scarred. And the technical issues... Only cameras on the screen. Not bad, just a little disappointing. But i prefer cameras, because i'm 15 and it was difficult to me seeing them (i'm not very tall...).

A really cold night. Nice that there was a kebab restaurant near.

No troubles with police, men.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #124 on: January 16, 2014, 05:57:53 PM »
On a more positive note, tonight marked the 04th continent where I've seen DT live! Only Africa is missung now - have they ever played there?

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #125 on: January 16, 2014, 05:58:00 PM »
Another thing interesting of the concert is that JP was for the first time playing his new MM Majesty model. The 7 strings was black and the 6 string one was in mystic blue. He have played the whole concert with these two guitars, except Breaking All Illusions that he played with the same guitar as Luna Park.

I'm hoping someone posts some decent photos or video of JP. I'm looking forward to seeing what this looks like on stage! So far from the one photo I've seen of him playing it, it looks like an amazing guitar.

Offline TH1RT3EN

• Dream Theater BR
  • There's only room for one Boss.
« Reply #126 on: January 16, 2014, 06:02:05 PM »
Looks like the Majesty guitar was too much for Madrid to take :P

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #127 on: January 16, 2014, 06:03:46 PM »
Looks like the Majesty guitar was too much for Madrid to take :P

I hope there was at least one survivor with some pics or vid.  :lol

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #128 on: January 16, 2014, 06:26:05 PM »

... what was the weather like?  Google says it's 4 degrees C in Spain right now.

Offline Nest777

« Reply #129 on: January 16, 2014, 07:26:02 PM »
Hi everyone.

Just came back from the show. I don't know if a truck broke down, but this morning both trucks arrived at 2 pm. At the same time. Then, the Meet & Greet took place at 7 pm. but by that time, the doors should have been opened for general access. We've accessed the venue hall with a delay of 1 hour, and we've been waiting to enter de venue another 30 minutes. It seems that it's been some technical issues with the video, as we haven't seen the intro animation, nor the one before The Mirror. The screen have just showed live images of the band. Also, Mangini seemed to have some issues with his in-ear monitor, and the icing on the cake: the show ended 45 earlier than expected.

If you think that the police has nothing to do with this, you don't even know how this region, Madrid, works. When I was picking my ticket, two officers were talking to the responsible of the venue. "The show must end at 11:30 pm", they were saying. During the evening, many police cars have arrived to the venue, I've counted 7 or 8 in total. No, they weren't there to secure the access to the venue, nor the exit, they were there to guarantee the closing of the venue at the time decided by the local government.

Well, I know, you may not believe me. Me and some friends have waited for the band at the end of the show, but they haven't come out in 3 hours. But hey, one very important person has indeed come out: Frank Solomon. We've had a little chat with him on this matter and he's been very clear: the video/technical issues have been a problem of the local staff, and the police did order to close the venue at exactly that point. So the band had no choice but to eliminate IT and Scarred from the setlist. Frank has been extremely kind and he has promissed that they'll do something to make it up for us. Also, we've asked him about the band members; it seems they were really pissed off.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 07:32:07 PM by Nest777 »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #130 on: January 16, 2014, 07:41:35 PM »
Thanks to Nest777 for the facts!
I know the band would be upset about this, as it's entirely out of their control, but I hope everyone still enjoyed what they got, which was a lot.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Nest777

« Reply #131 on: January 16, 2014, 07:50:50 PM »
Yup, the show itself was great! But this things kind of sour the experience, you know? At the end of the show Mangini was totally blushed because of this events and thanking everyone, and the other members were visibly affected by this "unexpected" ending.

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #132 on: January 16, 2014, 08:04:51 PM »
I know the band would be upset about this, as it's entirely out of their control, but I hope everyone still enjoyed what they got, which was a lot.

Yeah, I spoke to JP after the show, they were all disappointed that the show went down like it did. They really want the fans to have a great time and enjoy the entire presentation, which due to the video problems they weren't able to, not to mention having to cut out Scarred and IT.
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Offline Nest777

« Reply #133 on: January 16, 2014, 08:19:22 PM »

Yeah, I spoke to JP after the show, they were all disappointed that the show went down like it did. They really want the fans to have a great time and enjoy the entire presentation, which due to the video problems they weren't able to, not to mention having to cut out Scarred and IT.

I know this may sound a little shelfish, and I know they were for sure very tired, but it'd have been recomforting to see them after the show. There were just a few fans (not more than 10) waiting in the cold night, and they didn't showed up to say hi or something. The Scarred/IT thing has been terrible, but that little action would have cheered all of us a little  :-[ Just letting you know this because I think they should know how we fans feel about this issues. Other than that, a breathtaking show; best DT show I've seen in my life.

Offline Siddhartha

« Reply #134 on: January 16, 2014, 08:29:56 PM »

If you think that the police has nothing to do with this, you don't even know how this region, Madrid, works.

I have been living here for 30 years, I think I know how it works.

Police has nothing to do with it. When you book a venue for an event like a concert like this, you make a contract in which you agree on a lot of things, one of them the hour of closing. If the band starts the show 1:30 late and then has to shorten their show to finish on time you canīt blame the local authorities for it. They are doing their job.

Offline eosforum

« Reply #135 on: January 16, 2014, 09:54:36 PM »
Apparently even though I try to keep up with all DT news i must have missed something. Since when do we know they're playing SDV in this tour? Cause I just found out and expected to see the forum having been shattered to pieces with this piece of news. I mean, we've been waiting for this since.....Awake came out :eek

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #136 on: January 16, 2014, 10:06:59 PM »
Too bad you guys didn't get to hear the full setlist or see the videos :sad: Hopefully the rest of the shows won't be as problematic. To be honest I wouldn't mind that much if IT wasn't played at my show, but the lack of Scarred would be a massive disappointment.
Apparently even though I try to keep up with all DT news i must have missed something. Since when do we know they're playing SDV in this tour? Cause I just found out and expected to see the forum having been shattered to pieces with this piece of news. I mean, we've been waiting for this since.....Awake came out :eek
DT started the tour in Portugal the night before this show and they premiered both The Shattered Fortress and SDV there.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #137 on: January 16, 2014, 10:08:10 PM »
I know this may sound a little shelfish, and I know they were for sure very tired, but it'd have been recomforting to see them after the show. There were just a few fans (not more than 10) waiting in the cold night, and they didn't showed up to say hi or something.
I know you mean no harm, but no. Consider this - you come home from one of the worse days you've ever had at work or school. Are you gonna want to talk to a bunch of complete strangers over all the problems you had that day? No. You'll want to keep to yourself and perhaps analyze what went wrong so that the same thing doesn't ever happen again.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: January 16, 2014, 10:14:10 PM »

If so....after just now watching IT from the first show...  I'm not going to be a happy camper.  We had no clue what they would do for the orch. section prior to the start of the tour.  What I saw from the first show?  4 mins of vid and no actual band performance???  No....  this will be a major disappointment for me if it's presented in this state when I see them.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #139 on: January 16, 2014, 10:56:21 PM »
I am so happy they're playing sdv.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD