Poll

Pick your favorite game. (Original Series only)

Final Fantasy
3 (2.3%)
Final Fantasy II
1 (0.8%)
Final Fantasy III
3 (2.3%)
Final Fantasy IV (II)
7 (5.3%)
Final Fantasy V
1 (0.8%)
Final Fantasy VI (III)
29 (22.1%)
Final Fantasy VII
37 (28.2%)
Final Fantasy VIII
10 (7.6%)
Final Fantasy IX
17 (13%)
Final Fantasy X
13 (9.9%)
Final Fantasy XI
0 (0%)
Final Fantasy XII
7 (5.3%)
Final Fantasy XIII
3 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 123

Author Topic: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread  (Read 177297 times)

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
Re: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread
« Reply #1085 on: October 01, 2010, 11:24:24 AM »
Besides Battle Hymn of the Soul I cannot accept any argument that any song in P3 is better than its P4 equivalent. And even then, P4 has like 3 separate final boss themes, and one of them (Fog) is way better than BHotS.

I won't get into the story argument, but my stance on it is that P4 had a couple of powerful emotional impacts on me (especially near the end of the game...like when a certain person is kidnapped...the music from that stage still brings tears to my eyes), whereas P3 didn't. I could tell there were a few times when I was supposed to be emotionally affected by something, but it didn't really do it for me.

Except for when Shinji dies. Half the reason I was looking forward to P3P so much was because I knew there was a way you could save him in that one.

Speaking of which I still haven't beaten Nyx in P3P...

...my name is Araragi.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1086 on: October 01, 2010, 11:37:02 AM »
1. VIII (best game evarrrrrr)
2. VI
3. III
4. V
5. IV
6. VII
7. X
8. I
9. IX

10. II

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #1087 on: October 01, 2010, 12:15:22 PM »
Still strongly disagree on FF7 being the best, but w/e

Point is, my list is made up of games that have given me the most joy, and I enjoyed them far more than I did FF7. To me, there is no distinction between favorite and best. Trying to make an "objectively" best game is just silly.

I think there is distinction between the two.

But it's hard to put games into lists anyway, as there are many different genres. How can we compare SMB3 (my favourite platformer) to FF7? Or Sonic 3 (your favourite) to MGS? It's just impossible.

Although this might sound a bit wierd, being a gamer and all; I don't necessarily play games for fun.
Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #1088 on: October 01, 2010, 03:13:39 PM »

Point is, my list is made up of games that have given me the most joy, and I enjoyed them far more than I did FF7. To me, there is no distinction between favorite and best. Trying to make an "objectively" best game is just silly.

But it's hard to put games into lists anyway, as there are many different genres. How can we compare SMB3 (my favourite platformer) to FF7? Or Sonic 3 (your favourite) to MGS? It's just impossible.

Although this might sound a bit wierd, being a gamer and all; I don't necessarily play games for fun.
If you don't play games to have fun, why do you play video games?  And well, the only valid way to compare them is to compare how much fun you had with them. Afterall, compare a 10/10 platformer and a shitty rpg. I'm sure you can make the distinction that one would be more fun than the other. The same thing can be done with a 10/10 platformer and a 9/10 rpg. I had more fun with the platformer, thus it is the better game.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline j

« Reply #1089 on: October 01, 2010, 03:25:03 PM »

Absolutely this.  I could never make a top 10 games list because I'd inevitably exclude way too many games that I enjoyed just as much as others, albeit possibly for different reasons.

That does sound a bit weird.  Why else would you play games?

I'm definitely not a "gamer" anymore; I rarely have time for video games and I have to very carefully choose the ones I want to spend precious time playing.  Other than multiplayer stuff on Xbox live or on the Wii, I play maybe one in-depth single player game a year.  I rely quite a bit on my little brother's tastes (which aren't necessarily a whole lot like mine, but tend to be pretty good) when selecting a game I'm going to invest my time into.  I can't imagine putting 30-40+ hours into a game that I wasn't really enjoying, even 15 years ago when I had all the time in the world...what would be the benefit of that?

-J

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #1090 on: October 01, 2010, 04:50:01 PM »

If you don't play games to have fun, why do you play video games? 

I guess it's the same with movies. I like a deep storyline, I like games that are artistic and often serious. But of course, I enjoy fun games as much as anyone else. A combination of the 2 is what defines a great playing experience.

Take Silent Hill 2 for example. It's not a very fun game. But the overall experience is what defines it. The atmosphere and addictive feeling of fear. I love games like that.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #1091 on: October 01, 2010, 05:10:46 PM »

I guess it's the same with movies. I like a deep storyline, I like games that are artistic and often serious. But of course, I enjoy fun games as much as anyone else. A combination of the 2 is what defines a great playing experience.

Take Silent Hill 2 for example. It's not a very fun game. But the overall experience is what defines it. The atmosphere and addictive feeling of fear. I love games like that.
SH2 is a fun game. I enjoy playing it. The atmosphere does add to it, and that's part of what makes it fun.

And for what its worth, in my opinion, 1 out of every 1 trillion games has a deep storyline. Hell, I love the story in Xenogears but I would never call it deep or anything. Most things that people think are deep, typically aren't. Same with movies. I don't really think I can think of a movie I'd call "deep" but I've seen many that are very enjoyable nonetheless.

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #1092 on: October 01, 2010, 06:44:14 PM »

SH2 is a fun game. I enjoy playing it. The atmosphere does add to it, and that's part of what makes it fun.

And for what its worth, in my opinion, 1 out of every 1 trillion games has a deep storyline. Hell, I love the story in Xenogears but I would never call it deep or anything. Most things that people think are deep, typically aren't. Same with movies. I don't really think I can think of a movie I'd call "deep" but I've seen many that are very enjoyable nonetheless.

Deep was probably the wrong word to use. I think you know what I was getting at.

I mean something that has a good context, and good development. Something original and engaging.

Silent Hill 2 is actually pretty deep though. There is much more to that game than meets the eye. Almost everything that you encounter is the manifestation from the warped mind of James Sunderland. It's a very intelligent game when you try and break it down. But i'd hardly call it fun. There is nothing fun about running from Pyramid Head, even the combat isn't fun. It's a psychological horror game, where the main character isn't supposed to be some hotshot with a gun. It's suprisingly one of only a few games where the combat system isn't designed to work in your favour.

That's one of the reasons why I love SH. It's just a shame the series has been whored out and passed on to a group of guys who have no business tarnishing the SH name.

But enough of that. Addictive, yes. But not so much fun. Not for me anyway. I can see we're not going to agree on this particular subject so let's just agree to disagree.I think it's an experience more than anything else. A deeply disturbing one.

My idea of fun would be a game like Uncharted 2. Now if you haven't played that game, take my word for it - it's a fucking blast. :metal

Offline ehra

« Reply #1093 on: October 01, 2010, 07:05:12 PM »
The Silent Hill series is one of the few examples of a heavy "mind screw" / "most things are open to interpretation" plot that I've actually enjoyed. The games don't try to hide their plots or "message" behind a convoluted mess of symbolism and try to pass it off as deep, but there's a lot of hidden subtext if you look for it.

As for the fun/plot/whatever discussion, I pretty much play games for general enjoyment be it from the story or the gameplay. Take Planescape: Torment, the only reason I play that is because of it story and setting. The combat is downright atrocious, but the game allows you to almost completely avoid fighting so I overlook it (there might be 3 or so forced fights in the entire game) because it doesn't get in the way of what I enjoy. Then you've got IX which is supposed to have another great story but the part that I find most aggravating is a big part of the combat system that can't be ignored; it ended up getting in the way of the part I did enjoy so I quit.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1094 on: October 01, 2010, 07:27:38 PM »
Except for when Shinji dies. Half the reason I was looking forward to P3P so much was because I knew there was a way you could save him in that one.

Dude, I'm sorry. This may sound dumb, but I still get a little choked up when I think about the OTHER death in the game. That was by far the most emotional experience I ever had with a video-game.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1095 on: October 01, 2010, 10:44:09 PM »
Which OTHER death? ChidoriMitsuru's DadYou?

I'd guess the last one.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1096 on: October 01, 2010, 11:02:51 PM »
Which OTHER death? ChidoriMitsuru's DadYou?

I'd guess the last one.

Definitely.

Being able to make you feel so much about a silent protagonist is quite an accomplishment.

I don't know, just that scene, with the music, as the ending of the game... is amazing. Part of the reason I don't like P4's story as much is because while it's cool, thematically it's not as "epic" as a being from another world coming into our lives, forming a bunch of deep relationships and friendships with people, and then getting sick and leaving unexpectedly.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1097 on: October 02, 2010, 09:26:45 AM »
What's not epic about a god running an experiment on humanity using a rural village as a sample group to determine which aspect of humanity (hope, despair, emptiness) was strongest, and decided humanity's fate based on the results? Or, wait, were you the guy who stopped playing after Ameno-Sagiri?

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1098 on: October 02, 2010, 10:16:31 AM »
What's not epic about a god running an experiment on humanity using a rural village as a sample group to determine which aspect of humanity (hope, despair, emptiness) was strongest, and decided humanity's fate based on the results? Or, wait, were you the guy who stopped playing after Ameno-Sagiri?

Did not read. I haven't the the ultimate ending yet. But I doubt it'll have a bigger impact on me than P3s. Loved it.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1099 on: October 02, 2010, 09:41:05 PM »
Well try getting the real ending so you understand what's actually going on  :lol

Not getting that ending is like stopping playing P3 after beating Hanged Man because you don't care about the ending.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1100 on: October 02, 2010, 09:47:49 PM »
Eh, playing P3P now. haha.

Offline ehra

« Reply #1101 on: October 17, 2010, 10:03:26 PM »
This is sad and hilarious at the same time (a video showing one of the, apparently, many problems with FFXIV's UI):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EaGvRv6jqw&feature=player_embedded

Offline In The Wake Of Poseidon

« Reply #1102 on: October 18, 2010, 04:52:16 AM »

Offline Seventh Son

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #1104 on: October 19, 2010, 08:44:30 AM »
Ugh, I'm 70% done with XII, and can't get myself to go back and finish it, I just totally lost interest for no reason.  :facepalm:

Side note- I plan on playing XIII, how awesome is it?   :tup

The most exciting news I've heard lately: SEQUEL FOR DISSIDIA!!!!!!!!   :metal

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1105 on: October 19, 2010, 09:31:14 AM »
XIII is good, nothing great.  Then again, I think XII is great and X is pretty weak for Final Fantasy.

XIII is most reminiscent of X, lousy world layout with a experience system that looks really free at first but might as well be automated.  The automated fighting system is bad compared to XII, you get very limited control of your partners and can't control any of them by hand if you wanted to.  It worked ok, but it really made you wish gambits were back by the end of the game.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #1106 on: October 19, 2010, 09:33:24 AM »
XIII is good, nothing great.  Then again, I think XII is great and X is pretty weak for Final Fantasy.

XIII is most reminiscent of X, lousy world layout with a experience system that looks really free at first but might as well be automated.  The automated fighting system is bad compared to XII, you get very limited control of your partners and can't control any of them by hand if you wanted to.  It worked ok, but it really made you wish gambits were back by the end of the game.

I know it seems weird, but I haven't really been using Gambits anyway, lol.  :lol

I've only played X, X-2, XII and a few spin-offs. (Oh, and Dissidia for the PSP), so I think I'll give it a shot. I'm hoping they're remaking all the originals since I really want to play them. I know VII is a highlight for Final Fantasy, but since it's only for the PS1, I'm hoping they re-make it.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1107 on: October 19, 2010, 09:41:12 AM »
No, not using gambits is fine if you don't like the automation.  Not using them is far better than using them and then complaining everything is automated. :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1108 on: October 19, 2010, 03:05:40 PM »

YEEEUUUHHH  :metal

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #1109 on: October 19, 2010, 03:08:14 PM »

LIFE HAS NEVER HAD SO MUCH MOMENTUM FOR ME BEFORE

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1110 on: October 19, 2010, 03:37:28 PM »

LIFE HAS NEVER HAD SO MUCH MOMENTUM FOR ME BEFORE
I take it you love Dissidia too then. Personally I think it's definitely one of the more addicting games that I have.

Offline j

« Reply #1111 on: October 19, 2010, 03:42:50 PM »

Accurate on all counts.

-J

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #1112 on: October 19, 2010, 03:44:15 PM »

Accurate on all counts.

-J

Is it worth giving it a shot anyway?

Offline j

« Reply #1113 on: October 19, 2010, 03:47:20 PM »
Yeah, I'd definitely give it a chance.  I'm not likely to play it again, but I enjoyed it well enough.

Just don't go into it expecting to have your mind blown. :tup

-J

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #1114 on: October 19, 2010, 04:51:44 PM »
Play FF9 instead :neverusethis:

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1115 on: October 19, 2010, 04:56:04 PM »

Offline j

« Reply #1116 on: October 19, 2010, 07:03:34 PM »

Offline Seventh Son

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #1118 on: October 19, 2010, 07:28:56 PM »

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #1119 on: October 19, 2010, 07:29:43 PM »