Poll

Pick your favorite game. (Original Series only)

Final Fantasy
3 (2.3%)
Final Fantasy II
1 (0.8%)
Final Fantasy III
3 (2.3%)
Final Fantasy IV (II)
7 (5.3%)
Final Fantasy V
1 (0.8%)
Final Fantasy VI (III)
29 (22.1%)
Final Fantasy VII
37 (28.2%)
Final Fantasy VIII
10 (7.6%)
Final Fantasy IX
17 (13%)
Final Fantasy X
13 (9.9%)
Final Fantasy XI
0 (0%)
Final Fantasy XII
7 (5.3%)
Final Fantasy XIII
3 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 123

Author Topic: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread  (Read 177285 times)

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
Re: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread
« Reply #385 on: January 20, 2010, 07:38:08 PM »
Discs :neverusethis:

Alternatively...Midgar, Junon, Cosmo Canyon, Rocket Town, Temple of the Ancients, Disc, halfway through the glacier, end of the glacier, I don't remember the rest of disc 2, getting cloud back, disc, disc?

That's horribly slow though imo. Something in between? If I can get a good FFVII I don't want it to be like OoT where I had every heart piece but 4 before the Water Temple :p

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #386 on: January 20, 2010, 07:45:29 PM »
I don't know. In my playthrough right now, I'm currently at Cosmo Canyon. The problem is most of the first disc is painfully slow no matter how you slice it. Though, I suppose Midgar would work as one segment. Disc 3 is definitely worthy of being one segment though.

Either way, I probably won't be too keen on starting this until I'm further in my current playthrough. I'll think on it.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline ehra

« Reply #387 on: January 20, 2010, 07:53:45 PM »
If we want to do some sort of play through we could come up with another game.... it doesn't have to be FFVII, since some people are going through on their own and others are playing it for the first time and I wouldn't want to rush them.

Unfortunately, the only other FF games I own are 8, Tactics, and Anthology (5 and 6).

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #388 on: January 20, 2010, 07:56:02 PM »
VII and X are the only ones I've beaten.  :lol
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #389 on: January 20, 2010, 07:56:23 PM »
I would be up for a Tactics playthrough. That game is so discouragingly hard that some sort of accountability in the form of a playthrough might help me get through it.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #390 on: January 20, 2010, 08:20:07 PM »
I'd be up for a different game. I have them all except the original Tactics (and the shitty spin-offs like Crystal Chronicles), and Tactics would actually would fit on my PSP so I'm contemplating buying it on the PSN store.

Question - FFVII came out on the PS Store, Tactics three months later, and VIII another three after that. Does that mean we can expect IX in March?

Offline ehra

« Reply #391 on: January 20, 2010, 08:21:40 PM »
Tactics sounds great... I've been wanting to go through again lately. And, yeah, we'll likely have to consider time spent sitting around leveling when deciding where to split things  :lol

Anyone else?

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #392 on: January 20, 2010, 08:23:57 PM »
I might download a ROM of Tactics and join you guys. I've never played it before.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #393 on: January 20, 2010, 08:32:59 PM »
I'd be up for a different game. I have them all except the original Tactics (and the shitty spin-offs like Crystal Chronicles), and Tactics would actually would fit on my PSP so I'm contemplating buying it on the PSN store.

Question - FFVII came out on the PS Store, Tactics three months later, and VIII another three after that. Does that mean we can expect IX in March?

Why not get the remake of Tactics on the PSP?  Not sure how much of a change it was from the original, but if you're going to play it on the PSP it seems pretty reasonable to go that way.

Also, the DS Crystal Chronicle games are really quite good.  Both are very solid single player games for handhelds.  I'd absolutely recommend them for DS owners that like Final Fantasy.  The story and world feel like Final Fantasy, only it is an action based environment.

I haven't played any of the console ones so can't comment, but I do think the shitty label they get is undeserved based on what I've seen.  The GameCube one looked like if you could get four people all with GBA hookups to play together it would have been a great game. 

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #394 on: January 22, 2010, 11:13:15 AM »
Anybody play the Valkyrie Profile series?  A major character in that series is Lezard, who Lazard in Crisis Core happens to look awfully similar to.

Lezard:

Lazard:

It was the first thing I thought of when they introduced Lazard in Crisis Core, nice reference from SquareEnix.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #395 on: January 22, 2010, 11:25:26 AM »
So, if we're going to do the Tactics playthrough, who all will be in? Might as well start making a list. In fact, just respond with which games you would be in for a playthrough of.

List:
Me (any but X, X-2, XII, TA2, or either CC)
Ehra (T, 5-8)
Elsydeon (any, prefer pre-6)
yorost? (VIII)
Glaurung (I, II, VII, VIII, XII)
Arcaeus (II, V, VI, VII, IX, XII)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 04:45:47 PM by Genowyn »

...my name is Araragi.

Offline ehra

« Reply #396 on: January 22, 2010, 11:32:35 AM »
Yep, I'm up for Tactics.

I'd also be willing to do 5, 6, 7, and 8.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #397 on: January 22, 2010, 01:51:55 PM »
Maybe. I haven't decided yet.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #398 on: January 22, 2010, 04:34:10 PM »
Man, I just stomped all over some of the bosses I usually have a bit of trouble with on FFX.

All my aeons, so far, do 9999 damage with their overdrive and I've only got 4 (I've been able to do that since I had 3 though) :hat

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: January 23, 2010, 04:24:58 AM »
It's amazing what training can do. My brother trains so much when he plays FFX that Nemesis is easy.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #400 on: January 23, 2010, 11:10:31 AM »
So, if we're going to do the Tactics playthrough, who all will be in? Might as well start making a list. In fact, just respond with which games you would be in for a playthrough of.

List:
Me (any but X, X-2, XII, TA2, or either CC)
Ehra (T, 5-8)
I'd be up for a playthrough.  Any game is fine with me

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #401 on: January 23, 2010, 12:34:15 PM »
The playthrough thing, can someone explain how quickly this goes?  I might be up for it, but I'm not sure if I could keep the same pace since I tend to play in big spurts on days I take off.

FFVIII would be good since I have it but have not played it, but assume I am not going to play when you pick a game.

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #402 on: January 23, 2010, 12:41:30 PM »
I would prefer something older... like 6 or earlier.  But whatever you want

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #403 on: January 23, 2010, 01:06:44 PM »
The playthrough thing, can someone explain how quickly this goes?  I might be up for it, but I'm not sure if I could keep the same pace since I tend to play in big spurts on days I take off.

What we do is divide the game into a series of sorta checkpoints, and everyone tries to reach a certain checkpoint by the week that that checkpoint is assigned to, for example, when we did the Ocarina of Time one, we did one temple a week. Then, at the end of the week, everyone comes back to the thread and posts about their experiences, posts screenshots, etc.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #404 on: January 23, 2010, 01:34:48 PM »
I recently played X so if we do a playthrough the only ones I can play are I, II, VII, VIII, or XII
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #405 on: January 23, 2010, 04:42:15 PM »
My votes are for II, V, VI, VII, IX or XII

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #406 on: January 26, 2010, 11:19:57 AM »
Well since my last post I've gotten partway through both II & VII so my vote is for V :neverusethis:

But I'm willing to stop playing and wait for you guys if you decide to do VII (I'm at Corel Prison now, the desert beneath the Gold Saucer, about 7-9 hours in)...

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #407 on: January 29, 2010, 03:24:45 PM »
Just playing X now and, for some reason, the AI seems to have spazzed out and the machina just won't attack me. This would normally not be annoying but I'm trying to get my aeons to overdrive :lol

Also, my Nexus One allows me to play FF6 at full speed :D

Edit: Just completely owned Seymour Flux on my first go. Bahamut did 20k damage to him :|
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 04:15:40 PM by acidrainlte »

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #408 on: January 30, 2010, 02:27:36 PM »
Final Fantasy II = A New Hope

Orphan joins rebel force against evil empire
Firion = Luke (Girly orphan rebel)
The Emperor = The Emperor (obviously)
Dreadnought = Death Star (another obvious)
Leon = Darth Vader (falls to the dark side and tries to usurp the Emperor)
Hilda = Leia (Princess, parents are killed, held hostage on the Dreadnought, must be rescued)
Minwu = Obi-wan (sacrifices himself for more power, Minwu sacrifices himself for the Ultima tome)
Guy = CHEWBACCA

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #409 on: January 30, 2010, 05:07:24 PM »
Final Fantasy II = A New Hope

Orphan joins rebel force against evil empire
Firion = Luke (Girly orphan rebel)
The Emperor = The Emperor (obviously)
Dreadnought = Death Star (another obvious)
Leon = Darth Vader (falls to the dark side and tries to usurp the Emperor)
Hilda = Leia (Princess, parents are killed, held hostage on the Dreadnought, must be rescued)
Minwu = Obi-wan (sacrifices himself for more power, Minwu sacrifices himself for the Ultima tome)
Guy = CHEWBACCA

I have always disliked these comparisons, actually.

Firion and Luke are not that close, other than being in a rebellion.  Firion was an orphan, Luke was raised by family while not truly being an orphan.  We might as well say they match up to Vaan(XII), Tidus(X), Zidane(IX), Cecil(IV), and Luneth(III).  Many Final Fantasy leads had parents that died prior to the game or they never really knew.

The emperor is not in A New Hope, nor is their a strong notion that the one in Star Wars might descend into Hell and return with vengeance.

Dreadnought is similar in idea to the Death Star, sure.  Without the Dreadnought the other comparisons might never happen, though.

Leon was not Firion's father.  Leon did not usurp the emperor, he merely tried to take his place after the emperor was killed by others, but foiled when the emeperor returned from Hell.  Vader killed the emperor after turning back to the light side.  For Leon it was left ambiguous if he really turned to the light side or just had little choice and felt a duty to his friends... it is also questionable if he was ever really against the emperor in the beginning.  Vader also never actually faced the rebellion and worked for them.

Hilda was not held hostage on the Dreadnought, that was an imposter in case she was rescued.  Yes, Hilda's parents were killed in the beginning of the game, but Leia's father was Vader.

Minwu fully expected complete death in order to give others the power of the ultima tome, those he had come to trust in the game.  ObiWan knew he was going to live on through the force.

Guy ~ Chewbacca is forced.  Who represents Han?  Guy is slow of speech, Chewbacca seems to say a mouthful throughout the movies, we just don't understand it.  They're big and strong, oh boy.  Oh, and Guy speaks at least two languages, Chewbacca seems to know only one.

The comparisons are almost entirely superficial and forced.  The relation of various events and characters just don't line up to make it as interesting as people like to make it out to be.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #410 on: January 30, 2010, 05:09:39 PM »
Why are the best weapons in FFX so much fucking hassle to get? I've got some of them but powering them up takes FOREVER.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: January 30, 2010, 05:10:59 PM »
Why are the best weapons in FFX so much fucking hassle to get? I've got some of them but powering them up takes FOREVER.

Because Squaresoft has a personal grudge against you.

So I guess this playthrough's not happening, huh?

...my name is Araragi.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #412 on: January 30, 2010, 05:11:52 PM »

Because Squaresoft has a personal grudge against you.
Probably.

I am NOT dodging 200 lightning bolts in a row to get part of Lulu's weapon.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #413 on: January 30, 2010, 05:21:27 PM »
Yeah, they were mostly forced jokes, especially the Guy thing :P When you really get down to the characters and the fine details of the plot, it's all very different, yes, but the basic premise for both is "Orphan(s) joins rebellion force to fight evil empire with an easily-destroyed superweapon". Kind of like Eragon (and a lot of fantasy plots), except FFII and Star Wars are awesome, where Eragon isn't.

And yeah... I couldn't wait... I'm at the Temple of the Ancients in Final Fantasy VII now. I have no idea how to kill the 4-Eye things though that guard the treasure, though, they two-shot me :|

I'm trying to get into Final Fantasy XII again... I mean, I like it, but every time I try to play, I stop midway through, don't play for a few months, and decide to start all over instead of continue my old game when I pick it back up again. And since I've replaced my PS2 with a PS3 (an older model version that can play PS2 games), I'll have to start over again :yeahright

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #414 on: January 30, 2010, 05:28:11 PM »
Yeah, they were mostly forced jokes, especially the Guy thing :P When you really get down to the characters and the fine details of the plot, it's all very different, yes, but the basic premise for both is "Orphan(s) joins rebellion force to fight evil empire with an easily-destroyed superweapon". Kind of like Eragon (and a lot of fantasy plots), except FFII and Star Wars are awesome, where Eragon isn't.
I'm just touchy on II. :p  It's my favourite one.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #415 on: January 30, 2010, 05:30:15 PM »
Oh, I wasn't trying to insult it, I'm playing through the GBA remake now and it's making its way up my list of favorites, I love it :lol

also helps that both Firion and the Emperor are my favorite characters in Dissidia, which I have played at least an hour every day since I bought it :\

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #416 on: January 30, 2010, 05:35:32 PM »
I definitely like what they did with those two in Dissidia.  How far have you gone in the game?  I've cleared Shade Impulse with Firion, but took a break from the game after that... to play the FFII PSP remake, actually.  How are the story sections you can unlock after Shade Impulse?

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #417 on: January 30, 2010, 05:53:24 PM »
Unlocked all characters, got two to 100 (Firion and Terra; Cloud, Zidane and the Emperor are next), have every mode unlocked besides the Blackjack Duel Colosseum course, mostly just trying to get good enough to finish the final story mode (fucking lvl 130 Chaos).

There's three story modes more after Shade Impulse, I think. They're obviously not as filled with actual story as it effectively ends with Shade Impulse, but you can get two more characters, and then there's a final arc that explains the more vague plot points from Shade Impulse. I still haven't beaten it though, I tried with lvl 100 Firion and Terra and got my ass kicked. I think I need to get 'em more accessories and max out their abilities... :yeahright

Is the FFII PSP remake worth buying if I already have the Dawn of Souls version?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 07:38:18 PM by Arcaeus »

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #418 on: January 30, 2010, 08:50:15 PM »
Well, the remake has much improved graphics during battle, one or two FMV's that were on the PS1 version, does include the Dawn of Souls chapter you get after the game, and a bonus dungeon during the game that is actually kind of nice for both extra gameplay and back story on the world.  The big plus, in my opinion, is that PSP games come in packages that one can reasonably keep in good condition, unlike GBA games, and it is nice to have versions of the FFI and FFII where they are not bundled together.

Depends how much those things matter to you.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #419 on: February 01, 2010, 03:32:23 PM »
Addicted to Final Fantasy VII... just finished the Northern Crater (first visit), where Cloud finally loses it, falls into the Lifestream and I'm at the point where Tifa becomes the main playble character for a short while and you get the Highwind (which is still awesome).

After I'm done with this, I'll finish up II, then skip ahead to V (the job system is great in that game, I wish one of the modern ones attempted something like that again).

I honestly think I'll pass on XIII entirely, though Versus looks good.