Poll

Pick your favorite game. (Original Series only)

Final Fantasy
3 (2.3%)
Final Fantasy II
1 (0.8%)
Final Fantasy III
3 (2.3%)
Final Fantasy IV (II)
7 (5.3%)
Final Fantasy V
1 (0.8%)
Final Fantasy VI (III)
29 (22.1%)
Final Fantasy VII
37 (28.2%)
Final Fantasy VIII
10 (7.6%)
Final Fantasy IX
17 (13%)
Final Fantasy X
13 (9.9%)
Final Fantasy XI
0 (0%)
Final Fantasy XII
7 (5.3%)
Final Fantasy XIII
3 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 123

Author Topic: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread  (Read 177280 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread
« Reply #1785 on: September 15, 2016, 04:13:27 PM »
New trailer for XV from tokyo game show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j8IAXM4jfk

I want this so bad, oh my god.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1786 on: September 15, 2016, 10:09:58 PM »
I guess I'll dissent. I absolutely love Type 0.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1787 on: November 27, 2016, 09:20:21 AM »
Just a few more days till XV. I haven't looked this forward to a game in a long long time.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1788 on: November 27, 2016, 08:10:05 PM »
Yup, can't wait.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1789 on: November 27, 2016, 10:18:07 PM »
Saw a commercial for it and was like...wow...
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1790 on: November 28, 2016, 07:16:46 AM »
I've seen nothing more than a couple of screenshots but I'm still feeling the hype.  :metal
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1791 on: November 29, 2016, 06:54:03 AM »
 :biggrin:

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1792 on: November 29, 2016, 10:26:43 AM »
Picking up my pre-order of FFXV today. :biggrin:  :2metal:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #1793 on: November 29, 2016, 01:37:55 PM »
I'll borrow it from my local library if they have a copy. Nowhere near confident enough to drop $80 on this.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1794 on: November 29, 2016, 02:48:03 PM »
In about an hour I'll be home and popping this baby in my PS4!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1795 on: November 29, 2016, 04:30:21 PM »

Oh my god, there it is. After years upon years upon years of waiting, its finally here. Let's get this party started  :metal

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1796 on: November 29, 2016, 06:57:46 PM »
I'm not a final fantasy fan but I have a buddy of mine who told me he got a PS3 for Final Fantasy XV

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1797 on: November 29, 2016, 07:24:13 PM »
I'm not a final fantasy fan but I have a buddy of mine who told me he got a PS3 for Final Fantasy XV

If I didn't have a PS4 already, I would have certainly bought one just for this game alone.

I am just two hours in and with-in the first 5 mins, you have a huge open world available to you, MUCH differently than XIII which didn't open up until the back end.

I am loving the whole road trip, brotherhood aspect. Its fantastic. The combat is very fast pace. Easy to learn, difficult to master, which I am down with. The world is gorgeous and I have barely seen less than 1% of it.

This is easily going to be a 100+ hour playthrough and I haven't enjoyed a Final Fantasy like this since VIII which was 1999...

I recommend it for both fans of the series and people who have never played it before.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1798 on: November 29, 2016, 08:41:04 PM »
Agreed. Phenomenal job!

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1799 on: November 30, 2016, 12:59:37 AM »
It feels surreal that this actually exists now. I am SO getting this! :metal
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1800 on: November 30, 2016, 03:06:58 AM »
Glad to hear people are digging the game from a gameplay perspective. Before I get too excited, I'll be waiting to hear what it's like in terms of story/narrative/characters. I've said this before but since FFIX the games have never got both right. For me, X and XIII were strong narratively but really linear, while XII and XIII-2 were more fun gameplay-wise (especially XII) but lacking in the story department. Still haven't played Lightning Returns - need to get onto that at some point!

Anyway so yeah, I'll wait and see. I don't yet have a PS4 anyway, but it's getting towards the point where I will want to buy one in the not too distant future.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1801 on: November 30, 2016, 06:36:19 AM »
Well I'd say they nailed it all. Not sure about narrative at this point, but the premise is really strong. The the characters are really strong. And, finally, so far the combat is great. Definitely the update FF needed.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1802 on: November 30, 2016, 12:19:08 PM »
I started playing yesterday and so far I'm very pleased with it.  Still trying to get the battle system controls down but that will get better with time as enemies become more difficult.

I've been a FF fan since the early 90's playing on the Super NES.  So cool how they did the retro characters in this game when comparing gear and seeing who can equip.  That is awesome.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1803 on: December 02, 2016, 07:34:56 PM »
Like 8 hours in at this point and yes, I will admit that the story is not as sweet as it could be, but it aint no fal'cie, La'cie non-sense. Here's one kingdom, at war with another kingdom. something I can follow, thank you for that. Ultimately, since everything else in the game is really cool and fun, the story lacking is something that doesn't bother me.

But tonight I decided to watch Kingsglaive since I heard it adds more to the story and it definitely does and was pretty fun to watch as well.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1804 on: December 02, 2016, 09:01:14 PM »
Ok so at most I've played an hour of final fantasy 7. From what I gather each final fantasy is its own self contained story right? Do they take place in the same universe?

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #1805 on: December 02, 2016, 09:05:15 PM »
For the most part they take place on different worlds. There are some direct sequels, like X/X-2 and the XIII series, also Tactics and XII take place in the same world.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1806 on: December 02, 2016, 09:16:14 PM »
Ok so at most I've played an hour of final fantasy 7. From what I gather each final fantasy is its own self contained story right? Do they take place in the same universe?

This is the most friendly game to newcomers they've ever done.

Like 8 hours in at this point and yes, I will admit that the story is not as sweet as it could be, but it aint no fal'cie, La'cie non-sense. Here's one kingdom, at war with another kingdom. something I can follow, thank you for that. Ultimately, since everything else in the game is really cool and fun, the story lacking is something that doesn't bother me.

But tonight I decided to watch Kingsglaive since I heard it adds more to the story and it definitely does and was pretty fun to watch as well.

Works fine, though. Consistent world, believable plot twists. In retrospect, a lot of the "insane!" FF stories of the past relied on plot twists that might not be as easy for an adult to swallow... lol. That, or like XII, just too complicated to follow enjoyable.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1807 on: December 02, 2016, 10:30:58 PM »
Honestly, I like the intricate politics of XII.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1808 on: December 03, 2016, 09:23:26 AM »
Honestly, I like the intricate politics of XII.
I liked it in principle, but the story just didn't make a lot of sense by the end and most of the characters weren't all that interesting. Not terrible, but below par for the FF series.

I really liked the story and characters in XIII.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1809 on: December 04, 2016, 05:24:51 PM »
I was bored, so i took a picture of my final fantasies

Its been one hell of a ride

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1810 on: December 04, 2016, 10:35:42 PM »
Looks like you need to get your hands on Final Fantasy Tactics  :tup

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1811 on: December 05, 2016, 03:37:36 AM »
I've tried to play Tactics a few times in the past. Just never clicked unfortunately. 

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1812 on: December 05, 2016, 07:20:56 AM »
XIV?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1813 on: December 05, 2016, 10:00:21 AM »
The MMO's look really cool. I sadly just haven't had the time to play them though. Maybe later down the line.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1814 on: December 05, 2016, 10:21:34 AM »
I've tried to play Tactics a few times in the past. Just never clicked unfortunately.

It took some time to click for me, but I think it's the best game in the entire FF series. The story and soundtrack are brilliant. The only criticism I have of the game is that it gets too easy towards the end. I just played through it on my PS Vita for the first time in 10+ years, and it was just as much of a blast as it was back when I played it for the first time in the late 90's.

As for the MMO's, I did play both XI and XIV. XI was also one of my favorite games ever made, but it was so ridiculously time consuming that there's no way I'd ever be able to play a game like that now that I'm not in high school any more :lol I thought XIV was cool as well, but it didn't have the same charm or community that XI did. It felt like they wanted to make it as similar to WoW as possible and simplify as much as they possibly could.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1815 on: December 05, 2016, 10:43:24 AM »
Wow -- I'm the only one whose favorite game is V? I admit it's not the most outstanding in the series but for me it has such charm and a nostalgic value for me (it was the first one I ever played, and for years IX overthrew it as my favorite, but V is back to being my favorite). I love the characters and the job system and the world is really cool to me. I miss that kind of Final Fantasy.

Although I really, really do want a PS4 and Final Fantasy XV, I find it hard to swallow so much modernism and scifi technology that has come to dominate the series. Can we please go back to a full throttle sword-and-sorcery fantasy adventure without the advanced technology (or at least so much of it)? I liked FF13 when you finally got to Gran Pulse but otherwise the setting really aggravated me (among many other things about it).
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1816 on: December 05, 2016, 11:29:04 AM »
Wow -- I'm the only one whose favorite game is V? I admit it's not the most outstanding in the series but for me it has such charm and a nostalgic value for me (it was the first one I ever played, and for years IX overthrew it as my favorite, but V is back to being my favorite). I love the characters and the job system and the world is really cool to me. I miss that kind of Final Fantasy.

Although I really, really do want a PS4 and Final Fantasy XV, I find it hard to swallow so much modernism and scifi technology that has come to dominate the series. Can we please go back to a full throttle sword-and-sorcery fantasy adventure without the advanced technology (or at least so much of it)? I liked FF13 when you finally got to Gran Pulse but otherwise the setting really aggravated me (among many other things about it).

Well, plenty of that on PS4 as well. Ni No Kuni 2 is coming out. Tales of Zestira there. Disgea 5 for tactics. Bloodborne if you like the gothic/medieval/super hard route. Atelier Sophie for lighter stuff. And then there's World of Final Fantasy, which is just a nice, kiddie homage to the series. Finally, FFXIV, is pretty high fantasy (though I understand MMO isn't everyone's favorite thing).

And the best one of them all probably, Persona 5, in April. Though that's definitely not sword and sorcery.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1817 on: December 05, 2016, 12:33:46 PM »

Well, plenty of that on PS4 as well. Ni No Kuni 2 is coming out. Tales of Zestira there. Disgea 5 for tactics. Bloodborne if you like the gothic/medieval/super hard route. Atelier Sophie for lighter stuff. And then there's World of Final Fantasy, which is just a nice, kiddie homage to the series. Finally, FFXIV, is pretty high fantasy (though I understand MMO isn't everyone's favorite thing).

And the best one of them all probably, Persona 5, in April. Though that's definitely not sword and sorcery.

I used to be heavily into gaming years and years ago but these days I just don't have time, sadly. I want to play the new entry in FF but getting into brand new series is somehow very difficult for me nowadays. If I did get a PS4 I'd get FFXV and... Probably none of those, although I enjoy RPGs. Games these days are so freaking big that I'm still exploring new things to do in Skyrim 5 years after buying it. I'll load up Diablo 3 every few months and binge on that, but between Stardew Valley, Terraria, GTA5, and Skyrim (throw in a bunch of old SNES/N64/GBA games I'll replay), that pretty much covers my gaming needs these days. Til the next GTA and Elder Scrolls come out anyway  :biggrin: I was super into MMOs many years ago in middle and high school. Can't justify losing my life to them again!

But I do looove some Final Fantasy. Would love to play 14 if I could keep my time spent playing it in check. 13 was such a disappointment that I had to go back and replay Final Fantasy 1 which I genuinely enjoy (not the original release, far, far too buggy and frustrating). Then again, I'm a sucker for the retro 80s/90s game aesthetics and music. I hope whatever XVI ends up being, it doesn't take them 10 years to make.

Also, maybe just let me fight an actual dragon and give me a wizard character to play. Give me all the scifi you want, just give me that much!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1818 on: December 05, 2016, 02:45:02 PM »
I don't have any issues with checking my time on XIV, but basically I'm married and have a full time job, so by default I don't have too much time to waste on it.

I'll say that the lead in from level 1-50 can be hit or miss, but the end game is awesome. And all the classic FF you could want. There's a job system, so you can level different jobs with the same character. Tired of melee fighting and jumping around like a Dragoon? Work on your Black Mage instead. Or your Summoner. Or your Archer. Or your Paladin. You can do everything with one character.

I just love running dungeons as a classic FF class, with other people playing as other classic FF roles. Even if I can only run 1-2 dungeons per night...  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1819 on: December 05, 2016, 03:03:27 PM »
Must resist urge... been MMO clean for a year... must resist...!!