Poll

Pick your favorite game. (Original Series only)

Final Fantasy
3 (2.3%)
Final Fantasy II
1 (0.8%)
Final Fantasy III
3 (2.3%)
Final Fantasy IV (II)
7 (5.3%)
Final Fantasy V
1 (0.8%)
Final Fantasy VI (III)
29 (22.1%)
Final Fantasy VII
37 (28.2%)
Final Fantasy VIII
10 (7.6%)
Final Fantasy IX
17 (13%)
Final Fantasy X
13 (9.9%)
Final Fantasy XI
0 (0%)
Final Fantasy XII
7 (5.3%)
Final Fantasy XIII
3 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 123

Author Topic: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread  (Read 174116 times)

Offline aurorablind

Re: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread
« Reply #105 on: September 21, 2009, 05:40:03 PM »
Hah. I actually started Final Fantasy VII yesterday on a PSX-emulator. This is my fourth or fifth time plowing through this game, and it's just as exciting as it was ten years ago! I can't believe how fantastic this game is! After ten minutes i've gotten used to the pre-2000 graphics, and im back to being 12 years old again! I love this game..
The story is amazing, the gameplay is fantastic, the graphics are not THAT outdated and all the little details still blows my mind..
Im not kidding - best game (IMO) EVER!

Offline Shadoshi

• Slave of Dimitrius
  • Co-dependent much?
« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2009, 06:11:01 PM »
FFVI and FFVII are 2 of the best games ever made, bar none.

Thanks to FFVII overshadowing it, not many people come to realize how absolutely genius FFVI really was. Easily one of the most influential RPGs of all time. VII is great as well, but VI is something that no game designer will ever be able to re-imagine. A seventeen minute long final boss theme, with a villain who was easily the most evil human in video game history, who actually destroyed the planet before you saved it? Perfection.

Offline j

« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2009, 06:49:42 PM »
FFVI and FFVII are 2 of the best games ever made, bar none.

Thanks to FFVII overshadowing it, not many people come to realize how absolutely genius FFVI really was. Easily one of the most influential RPGs of all time. VII is great as well, but VI is something that no game designer will ever be able to re-imagine. A seventeen minute long final boss theme, with a villain who was easily the most evil human in video game history, who actually destroyed the planet before you saved it? Perfection.

Amen, bro.  FFVI is pure genius.  The plot was great and creative, and it had subtleties and layers to it that are largely absent from most game plots today.  The characters were memorable and unique, and like you said, the soundtrack is amazing.  The gameplay may seem far outdated now, but back then it was still fairly new and innovative.  My only gripe has ever been the somewhat low difficulty level, although I remember struggling at parts when I played it as a kid.

FFVII is a great game in its own right.  But IMO, it's criminal that it gets so much recognition while its superior predecessor is quickly becoming forgotten.

-J

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #108 on: October 13, 2009, 08:58:03 PM »
FINALLY got a hold of Final Fantasy VII, bought it from the Playstation Store and now rocking it on the PSP :metal

Sooooooo much awesome

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: October 14, 2009, 01:27:14 AM »
I also did that while traveling around to the UK prog nation dates :metal

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #110 on: October 14, 2009, 04:45:07 AM »
Well, I believe it was you who let me know how to get it.  Thank you, you are a good, good man.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #111 on: October 14, 2009, 02:43:11 PM »
Well, I believe it was you who let me know how to get it.  Thank you, you are a good, good man.
Do you need a PS3 for that, or is it available on the PSP store?
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: October 14, 2009, 03:07:59 PM »
Well, I believe it was you who let me know how to get it.  Thank you, you are a good, good man.
:hat

Once someone buys it from the PSN store, you can put it on 5 different PSPs before it locks out.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: October 14, 2009, 03:18:16 PM »
Well, I believe it was you who let me know how to get it.  Thank you, you are a good, good man.
:hat

Once someone buys it from the PSN store, you can put it on 5 different PSPs before it locks out.
So, it's just downloaded to a memory stick?
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: October 14, 2009, 03:22:47 PM »
Nope. You plug the PSP into the PS3 via USB cable (the cable that you use to charge the controller will also plug into the PSP), go to the game you want to put on it and choose copy.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: October 14, 2009, 03:39:00 PM »
Nope. You plug the PSP into the PS3 via USB cable (the cable that you use to charge the controller will also plug into the PSP), go to the game you want to put on it and choose copy.
Well, obviously I still need a PS3 for that, but when you copy, is it copied onto the memory stick of the PSP?

Need PS3 nao.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: October 14, 2009, 03:39:35 PM »
Sorry, I misunderstood your question.

Yes, it is.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: October 14, 2009, 03:41:09 PM »
In other news, I think some FFVII would be a lot of fun right now.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #118 on: October 14, 2009, 05:55:00 PM »
I think the just made a way to download it to your PSP through the PS store online, I was gonna try it but its windows only.

More like windohs.  

I think its called MediaGo

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: October 16, 2009, 10:24:54 AM »
I tried resisting, but I'm actually starting to get excited about FFXIII. Weird.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #120 on: October 16, 2009, 06:00:43 PM »
The first disc of Final Fantasy VII had some very annoying sections.  The marching minigame with the patriotic music playing the whole time was as annoying a minigame as I can remember in a Final Fantasy game.  Almost everything surrounding the Golden Saucer was annoying.

The second and third discs were the amazing part of the game, but when I played it the first disc was more than two thirds of the game time.  That's what gets me for the game, as good as it is in the end it has some of the most annoying sections within the entire final fantasy series, and you can't skip them.

Offline ehra

« Reply #121 on: October 16, 2009, 06:06:14 PM »
The crazy thing is that I loved pretty much everything in the Golden Saucer.

Something that seems to happen to me in every FF game I've played, and I don't know if it's just my playstyle or that's how the games are, but I'll be going through the game fine, running into a few bosses here and there that genuinely challenge me, then I get to the final boss and it's a brick wall. I absolutely can not finish up the game. Then I have to go off and grind levels, bringing the momentum the story's built up to that point to a stop, and then once I go back to try again the boss ends up being a pushover. FF Tactics, 7, 8, 9, and 10 have all done this to me.

FF 8 was especially disappointing because Squall pretty much slaughtered everything by himself.

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #122 on: October 16, 2009, 06:15:55 PM »
FFVIII had the combination of the junction system and the random enemies that level with you, making it really easy to superpower yourself early in the game and totally breeze through all the bosses until near the end.

By the way, Gold Saucer ftw, I spent hours playing that stupid roller coaster shooting game, and the Chocobo races. Also getting to take Barret out on a date is teh best them.

Offline j

« Reply #123 on: October 16, 2009, 06:25:36 PM »
But none of the games have been particularly difficult.  The original FF1, the Japanese "hard" version (or whatever) of FF4, and MAYBE FF5 are the only ones I'd consider somewhat challenging.  Especially 4; damn that version isn't even fun.  :lol

The rest may have had a couple of bosses here and there that were a little tough--albeit far from insurmountable--but on the whole the games aren't too challenging at all (and I'm far from a video game "expert" of any kind).  Luckily, the more recent games (7 onward) have had a super hard boss or something "post-game" to offer that actually takes some serious preparation and strategy.

In reality, that's really all that can be done without some fundamental change to the gameplay, because with the freedom to level up and overpower your team at any point, it's hard to make a game challenging throughout.

-J

Offline ehra

« Reply #124 on: October 16, 2009, 06:30:24 PM »
Yeah, I realize that giving people the option to overlevel bosses is a mainstay of the series. I just find it annoying that I can be pretty much breezing through the game fine, for the most part, and then I get to the end and I get roflstomped with no warning otherwise that it's coming.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: October 17, 2009, 02:30:26 AM »
The first disc of Final Fantasy VII had some very annoying sections.  The marching minigame with the patriotic music playing the whole time was as annoying a minigame as I can remember in a Final Fantasy game.  Almost everything surrounding the Golden Saucer was annoying.
Tell me about it. I'm struggling to get through it at the moment.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: October 17, 2009, 02:39:45 AM »
Has anyone else seen this trailer for FF XIII?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfl36IiYkJo

It's mostly ingame cinematics it looks like but there is gameplay footage.

I was excited for it before but I'm even more excited now.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: October 17, 2009, 02:40:42 AM »
Is that the one that comes with Advent Children on blu-ray?

If so, it's such a good trailer.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: October 17, 2009, 02:51:05 AM »
Not as far as I know. It's just a trailer for FF XIII. It came out pretty recently I think.
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #129 on: October 17, 2009, 04:52:16 AM »
Not as far as I know. It's just a trailer for FF XIII. It came out pretty recently I think.
Yeah Advent Children was re-released recently with additional scenes (and also in HD on Bluray), and it came with a trailer for FF XIII, so it might well be the same one.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: October 17, 2009, 12:28:16 PM »
I just did a bit of searching and they are not the same trailers. This one is new.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: October 17, 2009, 12:35:19 PM »

You guys are nuts, the who Junon section is great.

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: October 17, 2009, 12:57:03 PM »
The marching thing is fun, and hilarious when you're fucking up real bad. That music though, after a while its very tiresome.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: October 17, 2009, 01:08:03 PM »

You guys are nuts, the who Junon section is great.
I meant the entire first disc.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #134 on: October 17, 2009, 01:13:46 PM »
That's why you just turn away from the masses masturbating to VII and play some IX.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: October 17, 2009, 01:16:10 PM »
IX is my favourite FF game :hat

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #136 on: October 17, 2009, 01:37:03 PM »

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: October 17, 2009, 01:37:31 PM »
FFIX was great, it gets too much unfair criticism for the change in character design. The characters and the world/setting especially, are some of the best FF has to offer in my opinion. It holds my top spot of the PS/PS2 FF's, sorta tied with VII (depends on which one I played most recently).

Offline ehra

« Reply #138 on: October 17, 2009, 01:44:47 PM »
I didn't even mind the characters. I just thought having to grind out your skills off of your weapons was ridiculously stupid gameplay, so much that I didn't bother finishing the game. Having to keep spheres on hand to advance your characters in X pissed me off a fair amount, too.

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: October 17, 2009, 01:56:15 PM »
Strangely, I liked the skill leveling system in FFIX, but I can definitely see how some wouldn't.

Sphere Grid was a neat idea, and its pretty cool at first, but in the end all your characters end up as clones of each other for the most part :/. And needing to have a million spheres all the time does get old.