Author Topic: Through My Words Appreciation Thread  (Read 3624 times)

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Through My Words Appreciation Thread
« on: June 15, 2013, 03:15:14 AM »
BEHOLD,THE MOST WORTHLESS SONG THREAD EVER!

In all seriousness,I love James' singing in this one.  :biggrin:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Through My Words Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 04:51:48 AM »
Well, it's not much, but what it is, is good.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 04:54:59 AM »
An appreciation thread for a one minute break between songs? There's not much to say! :lol

Well, it's not much, but what it is, is good.

Well, that.

On its own, it's not much, but in the context of that amazing run that kicks off the album from Regression > FT, it fits perfectly as a breather. I really don't know there's much else to say, but appreciated. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 05:31:49 AM »
I love the moment on LSFNY when James sings "linked by an endless... thread" :heart

ooooh shiversonreplay

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 05:40:05 AM »
Songs/sections with just piano and James' vocals are always beautiful and TMW is no exception. It's a lovely way to introduce the Through Her Eyes melody :heart

Offline mellotron_scratch

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 05:58:06 AM »
A very beautiful interlude that segues nicely into Fatal Tragedy. Not much else to say really.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 11:48:24 AM »
Works great as a segue and in context with the rest of the album. That's about all there is to it.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 05:07:33 PM »
Best song on the album.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 05:48:13 PM »
I never understood why they split it from Fatal Tragedy the way they did. It would have made so much more sense to have the entire piano part, the way they had split it in the Making Of SFAM CD, and then as soon as the drums and the badassness comes in, that's where the next track should have started. I feel like if they had done that, it would have had a much more established place in the DT discography, instead of just a segway.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 08:53:30 PM »
Let's see if this thread makes it to two pages! Who wants to go?

Offline Mosh

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 09:00:32 PM »
I never understood why they split it from Fatal Tragedy the way they did. It would have made so much more sense to have the entire piano part, the way they had split it in the Making Of SFAM CD, and then as soon as the drums and the badassness comes in, that's where the next track should have started. I feel like if they had done that, it would have had a much more established place in the DT discography, instead of just a segway.
Pretty sure it's because there is a key change and Myung's lyrics start at the beginning of Fatal Tragedy. Through My Words is JP. Also, Through My Words is more of a preview to Through Her Eyes. It makes sense that it stands as its own track.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 09:47:11 PM »
Pretty sure it's because there is a key change and Myung's lyrics start at the beginning of Fatal Tragedy. Through My Words is JP. Also, Through My Words is more of a preview to Through Her Eyes. It makes sense that it stands as its own track.

I thought they just sequenced the tracks wrong. It's split how I'd expect it on LSFNY, and I have an inkling that DT have said it was wrong on the album, although I might be making that up.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2013, 10:04:16 PM »
Didn't know about LSFNY; don't have that on CD. It could be sequenced wrong on that though. But you may be right.

Either way, I prefer the transition on the album.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2013, 10:08:38 PM »
TheGreatPretender pointed out that it's done that way on the Making Of, which would have been overseen directly by MP. I wish I could recall where I heard this being mentioned. It may have been the LSFNY commentary?

Offline Mosh

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 12:46:21 AM »
I know in the commentary MP points out when the lyricist goes from being JP to JM, but I don't think anyone mentioned the start of Fatal Tragedy. Haven't heard the Making Of, could be something that was changed as the writing process went on.

I think the thing that separates the two parts the most is the relation between Through My Words and Through Her Eyes. By the time Fatal Tragedy comes in, the chords are different and it's a new melody. It really feels like a separate song.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 12:54:21 AM »
I know in the commentary MP points out when the lyricist goes from being JP to JM, but I don't think anyone mentioned the start of Fatal Tragedy. Haven't heard the Making Of, could be something that was changed as the writing process went on.
My guess would be that that was the main reasoning behind it: Because they wanted to distinguish the lyricist.

I think the thing that separates the two parts the most is the relation between Through My Words and Through Her Eyes. By the time Fatal Tragedy comes in, the chords are different and it's a new melody. It really feels like a separate song.

The way Fatal Tragedy is on the album, it does feel like the beginning of a song. But listening to it throughout, it always feels like Through My Words, and the beginning section of Fatal Tragedy is is like one song, that simply changes its music into a more somber tone. I mean, Dream Theater of all bands knows a little something about having songs taking on a different tone as they progress.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 06:22:15 AM »
Let's see if this thread makes it to two pages! Who wants to go?

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 11:19:43 AM »
Through My Words is a nice transition track, especially with the story being its when he goes into hypnosis, then he gets deeper into it when Fatal Tragedy begins.

I hate the way its done on LFNY, the transition of TMW and FT, it doesn't make sense as when the lryics start in FT he is describing the tragedt through victoria, but in TMW he is still in reality but not quite yet connecting with victoria.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 12:01:15 PM »
Cool song, even if it is super short.

And the first time I heard it, the piano melody reminded me of this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a94HHO6xfMA

Although I can't imagine DT borrowing a melody from Sammy Hagar of all people :lol, the similarity is undeniable.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 12:40:26 PM »
TMW is a great way to cool down after the 1-2 punch of Overture 1928/SDV, and a great set-up for FT. The pacing of SFAM over-all is really well done.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline JPX

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2013, 01:31:27 PM »
TMW is one of my favorite JLB passages. And I agree how the split should be different.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2013, 01:39:32 PM »
Since I only listen to my re-cut of the Alt Mixes, I always start "Fatal Tragedy" at the lyrics "I sense the need...". I can see why it was cut out, but I like it more now with them back in.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2013, 09:28:08 PM »

And the first time I heard it, the piano melody reminded me of this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a94HHO6xfMA

Although I can't imagine DT borrowing a melody from Sammy Hagar of all people :lol, the similarity is undeniable.

Whoa, in the first couple of seconds of the piano riff, you could totally mistake them for the same song. They're even in the same key.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2013, 09:35:36 PM »

Whoa, in the first couple of seconds of the piano riff, you could totally mistake them for the same song. They're even in the same key.

Agreed
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2013, 11:43:21 PM »
Works great as a segue and in context with the rest of the album. That's about all there is to it.

This exactly.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2013, 11:34:31 AM »
There really isn't much, if anything at all, to not appreciate on that album.....so yeah.   :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White