Author Topic: World Tour 2014 - Speculation Thread  (Read 17538 times)

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
Re: World Tour 2014 - Speculation Thread
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2013, 04:34:41 AM »
There are SO many important questions to predict answers! ....

Which parts of songs is James going to use his mic stand for? Is James going to continue using the snaky curvy mic stand on this tour, or will there be a new mic stand for the new tour?

Will any keyboard parts be played on the iPad that maybe weren't (or at least weren't obviously) played in the original recording?

Which leads (vocal or instrumental) will be played note for note, and which ones will be altered/improvised?

Will the count offs for TEI, TBP, and STR be audible to the audience, or will it be secretly cowbelled like BAI?

Will False Awakening Suite ever be played live, or will it always be an intro tape (if ever)?

What will the backing screen look like? Shapes like the last tour? Multiple squares like previous tours? One big rectangular screen? What might they show on the screens during the new songs?

Indeed, these questions offer much opportunity for surprises!

Offline JiM-Xtreme

Re: General predictions for DT12 songs live.
« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2013, 04:23:17 PM »
There are SO many important questions to predict answers! ....

Which parts of songs is James going to use his mic stand for? Is James going to continue using the snaky curvy mic stand on this tour, or will there be a new mic stand for the new tour?

Will any keyboard parts be played on the iPad that maybe weren't (or at least weren't obviously) played in the original recording?

Which leads (vocal or instrumental) will be played note for note, and which ones will be altered/improvised?

Will the count offs for TEI, TBP, and STR be audible to the audience, or will it be secretly cowbelled like BAI?

Will False Awakening Suite ever be played live, or will it always be an intro tape (if ever)?

What will the backing screen look like? Shapes like the last tour? Multiple squares like previous tours? One big rectangular screen? What might they show on the screens during the new songs?

All great questions, but you missed the most important one of all... 

...will there be a new cartoon?  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline Grizz

Re: General predictions for DT12 songs live.
« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2013, 08:20:22 PM »
What might they show on the screens during the new songs?
I think I know of a guy that knows the answer to that, not that it would be revealed
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2013, 09:08:47 PM »
he knows nothing.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
Mike Mangini Interview
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2013, 06:58:32 AM »
https://www.technologytell.com/entertainment/32930/entertainment-tell-interview-dream-theater-drummer-mike-mangini-makes-his-dream-a-reality/

"I’d imagine we’ll get a good dose of the new studio album Dream Theater as well?"

Mangini: "Enough of it. The bottom line is two things: What does a fan think when they go to a show and a band hits them over the head with an entire record and doesn’t play all of their favorite songs? That doesn’t work out. What does a fan think when the band does have a proper mix of this? So that’s the dose that we’re dealing with, the balance of how much to do and what it would come across like."

So out of interest, which songs wouldn't you mind them NOT playing on the upcoming tour? I was pretty pumped to see it all actually, but if I had to pick at least one, it would probably be Surrender To Reason, it just seems to be my least favourite. Yourselves??

Offline Mladen

Re: Mike Mangini Interview
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2013, 07:18:32 AM »
I think Behind the veil will be excluded.

Obviously, False awakening will be played from the PA as the intro, most likely followed by The Enemy inside, which can't be excluded due to being the single from the album. Another song that they will definitely not exclude from the set list is Illumination theory, because you can't record a 20 minute long epic and decide not to play the album's centerpiece on the tour that promotes it.

Enigma machine will very likely find its spot in the set as well, being that you can't have a three hour long show without a break for James, so I believe the new instrumental would be perfect for that.

I have a strong feeling about Along for the ride and The Looking glass being played. Both are short and catchy, so they won't take too much time in the set list. James himself mentioned he can see the band performing the former and that it would make a great live track.

And there's another one that I feel will very likely be played, and that is The Bigger picture. Mostly because the guys really seem to be proud of it, and even JM and James picked it as their favorites from DT12.

So if they had to leave out one more song besides Behind the veil, it could be Surrender to reason. But something tells me that one will find its place in the set list, being that JM songs seem to be fan favorites, MM picked it as his favorite on the album (which might play a role if they sit down and throw ideas at each other about what should be and what should not be played) and that guitar solo needs to be heard live.

And yeah, a very nice interview.  :tup

Offline krands85

« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2013, 07:21:57 AM »
Interesting. I was expecting them to play it all, just because of what they've been saying about the album, the fact it's self-titled and also because it's 'Evening With', plus the album's a bit shorter than their norm.

The Looking Glass is the one song on the album that I'm really not keen on, so I wouldn't be disappointed if they left that out. Also, I'm sure they'll play it - but Along for the Ride is another one I wouldn't worry about missing. Same goes for Engima Machine (though it will probably be quite fun to watch) - I wouldn't expect them to leave that out either though, gives James a nice break during a long set.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2013, 07:29:50 AM »
I would be perfectly happy if they decided not to play either TEI or AFTR. But go figure the odds on that  :P

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2013, 07:37:58 AM »
I hope they don't play IT, but that's never happening is it?  :lol
Tbh I just want them to play STR and TBP, I don't care much for the rest of the songs.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2013, 07:37:59 AM »
I'm expecting FAS directly into TEI, as the shorter single is often the opener, which would work great. I think they'll definitely include IT to finish off the show too, as they usually do with the new epics.
I'd like to hear TEI, STR, and IT. I'd be ok with hearing the rest aside from TBP, which I hope to not hear.

At this point in their career, they have so many great songs people want to hear, that it's getting harder and harder to include as much of the new album, I think.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2013, 08:02:02 AM »

Obviously, False awakening will be played from the PA as the intro, most likely followed by The Enemy inside, which can't be excluded due to being the single from the album. Another song that they will definitely not exclude from the set list is Illumination theory, because you can't record a 20 minute long epic and decide not to play the album's centerpiece on the tour that promotes it.

Enigma machine will very likely find its spot in the set as well, being that you can't have a three hour long show without a break for James, so I believe the new instrumental would be perfect for that.

I have a strong feeling about Along for the ride and The Looking glass being played. Both are short and catchy, so they won't take too much time in the set list. James himself mentioned he can see the band performing the former and that it would make a great live track.

And there's another one that I feel will very likely be played, and that is The Bigger picture. Mostly because the guys really seem to be proud of it, and even JM and James picked it as their favorites from DT12.

So if they had to leave out one more song besides Behind the veil, it could be Surrender to reason. But something tells me that one will find its place in the set list, being that JM songs seem to be fan favorites, MM picked it as his favorite on the album (which might play a role if they sit down and throw ideas at each other about what should be and what should not be played) and that guitar solo needs to be heard live.

And yeah, a very nice interview.  :tup

Very good deductive reasoning! I agree with all of this. I'm gonna guess they're going to swap around songs on the tour, like they did last time, so they might not play all 9 8 songs each night, but they'll doing 6 or 7 of them, and swap around, especially since this is their shortest album since TOT, they could conceivably play 7 out of 8 songs, so with your logic, Mladen, they could do "Behind The Veil" one night, then play "Surrender To Reason" the next, and they're both about the same length, too.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2013, 08:02:46 AM »
MM said he would be using thicker cymbals...sonically this should be an improvement as that has been one of my few gripes on his first 2 DT records.  Cymbals have not had enough body and tone (passed up on adding additional o's to that)!
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2013, 08:32:55 AM »
My idea is that they will play the first half of I.T. then when the ambient bit / string section comes in - it will be on a recording where the band leave the stage and the drum and bass re -entry is the second half.

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2013, 08:39:40 AM »
My idea is that they will play the first half of I.T. then when the ambient bit / string section comes in - it will be on a recording where the band leave the stage and the drum and bass re -entry is the second half.

Interesting idea... now that I think about it that could make a great intro tape for the second half. I wonder if the band will have considered this approach.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2013, 08:48:38 AM »

Interesting idea... now that I think about it that could make a great intro tape for the second half. I wonder if the band will have considered this approach.

What, close the first half of the show with the first 6 minutes of IT, then open the 2nd set with the ambient section/string section of IT?

I doubt it, but that's an interesting idea. I don't see them NOT playing the whole thing as the main set closer, or even as the encore. Honestly, I'd love to see them pull it out as the encore, a la ITNOG on the TOT tour! That way, they could play the Easter Egg track after wards, as on the album, as exit music for the band/audience on their way out.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #85 on: December 03, 2013, 08:52:30 AM »
Obviously the big question about IT is how they are going to handle that middle section. On the one hand it would be kind of lame for the band to leave the stage mid-song and leave the crowd with a recording. On the other hand, having JR "play" the string section using samples or whatever just won't be as authentic, won't quite capture the same vibe. At least if it were to be played as an intro tape to the second half it would build a bit of suspense, tension and excitement before the band come back on.

But in all seriousness, it doesn't seem that likely that the band will take this approach. They might decide to do something entirely different for all we know.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #86 on: December 03, 2013, 08:58:38 AM »
Regarding the OP, that's a tough one. Out of all the awesomeness that's on the new album... Hmm... I guess Along For The Ride is one that I wouldn't mind not hearing. I like it well enough, but to me, being the ballad that it is, it's completely interchangeable with any of their other ballads, and I'd rather hear Through Her Eyes or To Live Forever or something of the sort.

Aside from that, I definitely want to hear everything else on the album, so whatever they end up not playing, I'll still enjoy everything else they do play.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2013, 09:16:01 AM »

They can't/won't exclude that solo. It needs to be heard...and heard a lot.

if I had to pick at least one, it would probably be Surrender To Reason, it just seems to be my least favourite. Yourselves??

That's a great song (IMO) that will probably be played every show. It has great melodies and really embodies DT12's sound and message. I don't see them not playing this one either.

My opinion is EM is either left off or rotated with another song....maybe TBP or TLG.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #88 on: December 03, 2013, 09:28:37 AM »
Regarding the OP, that's a tough one. Out of all the awesomeness that's on the new album... Hmm... I guess Along For The Ride is one that I wouldn't mind not hearing. I like it well enough, but to me, being the ballad that it is, it's completely interchangeable with any of their other ballads, and I'd rather hear Through Her Eyes or To Live Forever or something of the sort.

I'm fairly certain Along for the Ride will be played.  The band and label clearly view at as a sort of second "single".  I see ads for the Paris DT show at Metro stations all the time, and all of them have the name of the song featured prominently.  JLB's also mentioned he's excited to play it live and envisions it as a live anthem.  You can count on it being played.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #89 on: December 03, 2013, 09:34:52 AM »
Well, "The Enemy Inside" and "Along For The Ride" will most definitely be played, but I also think "The Bigger Picture" will as well considering it was in the box set as the 7" clear vinyl single.

Honestly, I can see them rotating BTV for STR, and TLG for AFTR. One or both of those options are likely, IMO.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2013, 09:51:38 AM »
Yep, I think all of it will be played, just not every night. 

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #91 on: December 03, 2013, 01:24:15 PM »
Let us not forget that the tour itself is indeed "Along For The Ride". So I'm fairly certain AFTR is going to be a shoe-in.

Ive also seen a few ideas banded around such as 'the ambient part of IT is to allow time for an orchestra to come onstage and play the following section' or 'Mike Mangini extended drum solo during EM ala Mike Portnoy during Ytse Jam on Live in Toyko'. Both of these for sure would be cool

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #92 on: December 03, 2013, 02:00:08 PM »
I think that they'll leave out TLG... I can't see it well live :/
Behind The Veil is perfect for opening the second set, or even the first
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #93 on: December 03, 2013, 05:04:51 PM »
I'm expecting them to play most of the album, but considering that I love every song on the album, whatever gets left out will be missed. That also means that I will enjoy whatever they play from it when I see them live regardless.

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2013, 05:13:30 PM »
I think the whole album will be played. If anything, I thought AFTL would not be played since it seems to be the least popular, but JP seemed to want to play it in one of his interviews. And I think he also mentioned it's his favorite song on the album.

If anything, they'll play some songs on the 1st leg, and the rest on the 2nd like they did with ADToE.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2013, 05:58:47 PM »
Obviously the big question about IT is how they are going to handle that middle section. On the one hand it would be kind of lame for the band to leave the stage mid-song and leave the crowd with a recording. On the other hand, having JR "play" the string section using samples or whatever just won't be as authentic, won't quite capture the same vibe. At least if it were to be played as an intro tape to the second half it would build a bit of suspense, tension and excitement before the band come back on.

But in all seriousness, it doesn't seem that likely that the band will take this approach. They might decide to do something entirely different for all we know.

Maybe they'll hire a string quartet in each city for that section. That last idea is actually very intriguing, too.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #96 on: December 03, 2013, 07:08:58 PM »
I hope they exclude Surrender to Reason. That is most certainly my least favorite from the album. I'm pretty happy with anything else they choose to play from it.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Octavarious

• Scenes from a Mesmerism
« Reply #97 on: December 04, 2013, 03:06:41 AM »
Yep, I think all of it will be played, just not every night.
Seems pretty obvious to me.
The main question is another one: when and where (in case with who) the guys are reharsing for the tour? One should get some naughty insider to sneak in... There would be a whole lotta stuff they would reharse, would be good to know what's boiling in the mighty pot...
You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here? No, that's other stuff, wrong forum heheh (I am quite encyclopedic rock fan, and probably older than most of you, was already there in late 70s early 80s)
I was saying, you may ask yourself why I wrote "with who"...
Well, THIS could be the time they COULD potentially decide to... :hat :hefdaddy
Impossible? Too expensive?
Of course I am not referring to any comeback!
From Rome, with love.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #98 on: December 04, 2013, 04:55:32 AM »
I'm expecting them to play most of the album, but considering that I love every song on the album, whatever gets left out will be missed. That also means that I will enjoy whatever they play from it when I see them live regardless.

This

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #99 on: December 04, 2013, 05:25:25 AM »
Songs I'd like to see in the set:

FAS (as intro tape)
The Enemy Inside
The Looking Glass
Enigma Machine
Behind the Veil
Along For The Ride

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #100 on: December 04, 2013, 10:44:33 AM »
I hope they don't play IT, but that's never happening is it?  :lol
This. Too bad my least favorite songs on the album happen to be the instrumental, the lead single and the epic :lol

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #101 on: December 04, 2013, 11:09:55 AM »
Yeah I'd rather see The Count again (based on it being a similar length) than IT to be honest.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #102 on: December 04, 2013, 11:14:29 AM »
Yeah I'd rather see The Count again (based on it being a similar length) than IT to be honest.

I second that
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #103 on: December 04, 2013, 11:29:36 AM »
Even if you didn't like IT... Wouldn't it at least be ridiculously entertaining to hear James nail the "Cowards for salVATion" part live?! I mean, I'd listen to a song where JLB hits an F5, well-composed or not! And I love IT btw, so that doesn't apply to me here, but the concept still does.

Also, are there any parts of the new songs that you think he might be flat on live? Or just not sing as well as the album? I think maybe the chorus of BTV and the end of TBP could be a challenge.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #104 on: December 05, 2013, 06:33:55 AM »
I don't care what format they do as long as they don't skip CT again! They've ignored us the last two tours after stopping here every tour since TOT (maybe earlier).
this
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi