Author Topic: World Tour 2014 - Speculation Thread  (Read 17540 times)

Offline aprilethereal

Re: World Tour 2014 - Speculation Thread
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2013, 10:48:44 AM »
Just take a look at the Score setlist, they played Octavarium and after that Metropolis, so it might be possible for this tour that Illumination Theory will be the penultimate track and the closer will be BAI.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2013, 10:50:11 AM »
Illumination Theory could also close the first set if they begin by playing the album in full.

Offline dodido253

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2013, 11:48:06 AM »
I wish they will bring back :
Trial of Tears
Goodnight kiss
ITNOG

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2013, 11:51:49 AM »
I'm hoping for Trial of Tears as well :) ITNOG would be awesome, but I have a feeling they'll play some other song from that album.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2013, 12:58:47 PM »
I'm hoping for Trial of Tears as well :) ITNOG would be awesome, but I have a feeling they'll play some other song from that album.

Hmm they played Endless Sacrifice and As I Am last time round. Figuring if theres an Instrumental then SOC is out. This Dying Soul or Honor Thy Father?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2013, 12:59:24 PM »
With the band getting older, and to save JLB's voice over a long tour, I could see them doing three or four instrumentals a night.  The new one for sure, and it'd be sweet to see the returns of Stream of Consciousness and Erotomania. 

Offline Jinx

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2013, 03:29:17 PM »
I think DOE since MM played it on the audition. I would love SOC though,  probably my fave

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2013, 11:10:01 PM »
I'd shit my pants in happiness if they played Overture 1928 / Strange Deja Vu :heart

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2013, 06:04:34 AM »
Given JP's dislike for medleys, I doubt we'll ever see any of them (which is a good thing IMO - I'd rather hear some song in full).

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2013, 06:23:22 AM »
Given JP's dislike for medleys, I doubt we'll ever see any of them (which is a good thing IMO - I'd rather hear some song in full).

Quoted for agreement. It's going to be an Evening With Tour, there's plenty of time in 2,5/3h to play the best songs possible without having to cut and paste parts of them into Frankenstein's monster.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2013, 06:25:07 AM »

Agreed 100%. I was not the biggest fan of Instrumedley :\

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2013, 06:03:19 PM »
I really can see octavarium and stream of consciousness making a return

I love the last 10 minutes of Octavarium, but the first 10 minutes are just boring.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2013, 08:46:09 AM »
Withough going through all 27 pages, I was just listening to tons of DT on my recent Disney trip and I was thinking..

It's assumed that the Strings are going out on the road no?
I would imagine that they would be on stage for more than the three minutes of IT. So my guess is that they will hav more String friendly songs in the set, perhaps, Vacant, The Answer Lies Within, and maybe Beneath the Surface. But my prediction would be this..
Space Dye Vest with strings. I mean, how cool would that outro sound with real Strings?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2013, 08:50:45 AM »
Hmm, I don't think that's assumed at all tbh. I'd be surprised if they had strings out on tour - maybe for a few special shows, but I think it might be too expensive to do so for a prolonged period. I imagine JR will come up with some sort of keyboard arrangement for it, as opposed to piping it in, which would be pretty lacklustre.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2013, 10:40:37 AM »
I made one set with a string section in this thread somewhere. It had the 6doit overture played with the whole band like the album, Octavarium, and IT.  :) SDV would be cool there too, but I wouldn't want stags where they weren't originally. I'd want to see that one played live exactly like the studio recording.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2013, 11:04:48 AM »
Hmm, I don't think that's assumed at all tbh. I'd be surprised if they had strings out on tour - maybe for a few special shows, but I think it might be too expensive to do so for a prolonged period. I imagine JR will come up with some sort of keyboard arrangement for it, as opposed to piping it in, which would be pretty lacklustre.

I thought the way they answered the String question on the DTF interview gave it away. They were coy about it, and there would be no need to be coy if it wasn't happening. They just could've said no.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2013, 11:06:36 AM »
Good point. I certainly hope you're right.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2013, 09:43:26 PM »
So there can be an Anniversary for every album every year obviously. But for reasons that aren't necessarily understood, 5 year intervals is the magic number that seems to represent a worthy amount of time to acknowledge and remember an Album. I recall JP hinting about playing certain material relating to some anniversaries coming up, and possibly some material that's never been played. This could mean anything. But we can do the math and guess (or wish) for what might happen next year.

First things first, When Dream and Day Unite has it's 25th Anniversary on March 6th. I don't know if this is a likely candidate or not for a full performance seeing as we've aready had this for the 15th Anniversary of the album. But, it's got a date in 2014 and DT have surprised us before.

October 4th, is Awake's 20th Anniversary. If you ask me, this could easily be the 'surprise' JP was talking about seeing as they're up to this Album after Images and Words got it's anniversary performance, and the inclusion of Space Dye Vest would fit in with the statement about something they haven't played before. It's more likely than ever before that this could happen. James and Jordan have obviously shown they appreciate the piece so I would almost not be surprised if Awake got it's first full live performance.

The other very likely candidate for an Anniversary performance is Scenes from a Memory. October 26 next year marks the 15th Anniversary for this Album. Even though we've had plenty of shows with this Album in it's entirety, it's certainly been a while and the fact that we haven't heard it with Mangini make it seem more likely. Bring on Scenes 2014!  :metal

Also, June 23rd is the 5th Anniversary of Black Clouds & Silver Linings. I guess this feels like the least likely candidate because it's still fairly recent, and about 2/3rds of it are the infamous MP songs that have never been played live. Now the statement about playing something not heard before could be taken in many ways. I'm hoping it relates to older DT material as opposed to some covers. Although I can always appreciate covers, especially if it's something members of the band has been musically inspired by. I can always dream that they'll play this album in it's entirely one day!  :tup

JP also mentioned that there were some signature songs of theirs that they want to acknowledge. I hope this could mean something different from the obvious Images & Words 'signature tracks' (which essentially, might as well be all of them) we heard in 2011-2012. Maybe even some Six Degree love? Haven't heard much from those days lately save for section III/IV of Six Degrees: WIMH/tTTSTA combo. What do you guys think'll happen next year during the tour?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 09:58:58 PM by Rodni Demental »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2013, 11:23:40 PM »
Personally, I don't see the point in celebrating any of these anniversaries.  Okay, WDADU was cool because it was their first, but when you release an album, on average, every two years, pretty much every tour is gonna be the anniversary of one of their albums, so what is the point?  Not trying to be a spoil sport, but the tour should be about featuring the new album, not the 20th anniversary of Awake, or the 15th anniversary of Scenes, or whatever.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 11:46:12 PM by KevShmev »

Offline Ħ

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2013, 11:32:34 PM »
Personally, I don't see the point in celebrating any of these anniversaries.  Okay, WDADU was cool because it was their first, but when you release an album, on average, every two years, pretty much every tour is gonna be the anniversary of one of their albums, so what is the point?  Not trying to be a spoiler sport, but the tour should be about featuring the new album, not the 20th anniversary of Awake, or the 15th anniversary of Scenes, or whatever.
I agree that this is why it shouldn't be done for every album, but it wouldn't be so bad to have anniversaries for their milestone albums - namely, WDADU, IAW, and SFAM. (Awake might be a cool album but it's hardly a breakthrough album for DT.)
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2013, 11:43:23 PM »
Personally, I don't see the point in celebrating any of these anniversaries.  Okay, WDADU was cool because it was their first, but when you release an album, on average, every two years, pretty much every tour is gonna be the anniversary of one of their albums, so what is the point?  Not trying to be a spoiler sport, but the tour should be about featuring the new album, not the 20th anniversary of Awake, or the 15th anniversary of Scenes, or whatever.

I agree. WDADU and IAW made sense for them, but to celebrate every album's anniversary doesn't work. If they want to include a few notable songs in the setlist because of it, that's cool, but when you have 12 albums, every year is going to be the anniversary of SOMETHING. :lol
2014 is the 20th anniversary of Awake, the 15th anniversary of SFAM, the 25th anniversary of WDADU, 2015 is the 10th anniversary of Octavarium etc. They can't do them all!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2013, 12:52:23 AM »
If anything, and I mean IF, it should be Awake. In one fashion or another, the band has already released full live versions of WDADU, IAW, SFAM and 8VM (and, while not in order, the recent release of LALP features all 9 tracks from ADTOE). That's almost HALF of their albums, played live and released in full.

Awake needs its time to shine and its tracks have been spread out over several live releases over the years, but we've never gotten "Lifting Shadows Off A Dream" on an official live release (it was, however, released on a YJR album), as well as the obvious "Space-Dye Vest".

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2013, 01:13:20 AM »
Yeah you guys have a point. We can't expect them to celebrate ALL of these anniversaries. But there are a fair few DT fans (myself included) that would get pretty excited if they did play one of there favourite albums for a show. It's not like it'd have to clog up the setlists that they're touring with at the time, it'd just be a special occasion sort of thing for a night or two.

I was just curious in speculating exactly what they are going to pick because of what JP has mentioned. Yeah, there's generally going to be at least one anniversary every year following this method. But it happens that 2014 has a few more anniversaries than usual so it makes it trickier to figure out. Seriously though, if it's a matter of celebrating some of their 'signature' albums, then let's be honest it's probably going to be Scenes From A Memory. Still I really dig it when a band plays a whole album live and as far as succession goes, I thought Awake could still be a great choice to play in one go.  :biggrin:

It almost feels like I'm alone here, and I'm certainly generalising, but I thought the obsessive nature of the fanbase would be all down for an eventual live performance of every album  :lol. Hasn't Train of Thought had a full playing near the start of it's tour? That leaves FII, 6DOIT, SC and BC&SL which is not a lot relative to their discog.

I think we can bet DT12 is more or less going to get an entire playing. Whether it's in some form or another like the songs from ADTOE, or because of the way the album's presented, it could easily be suitable for a live playing and in some ways, it almost seems intended in it's arrangement.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 01:36:27 AM by Rodni Demental »

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2013, 02:52:58 AM »
If they want to include a few notable songs in the setlist because of it, that's cool
This is the sort of thing I'd like to see, definitely. I think saying "this month is the 15th anniversary of album x, so here are a few songs from it" is a really nice thing to do. But playing the whole album, even in an Evening With show, just takes up so much of the setlist.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2013, 02:58:33 AM »
If they want to include a few notable songs in the setlist because of it, that's cool
This is the sort of thing I'd like to see, definitely. I think saying "this month is the 15th anniversary of album x, so here are a few songs from it" is a really nice thing to do. But playing the whole album, even in an Evening With show, just takes up so much of the setlist.
I wouldn't mind hearing Awake in full, but I know they won't play it, so I agree with you.

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2013, 04:19:54 AM »
I think Awake and SFAM are the most likely candidates for any anniversary celebrations. What form those celebrations take is difficult to say, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see a couple of special shows where each album is played in full.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2013, 04:30:16 AM »
Just guessing:

1st set: "Dream Theater" full.
2nd set: couple of classics and surprises like "A mind beside itself".

At some point of the tour, one special show playing "Awake" full with (finally!) KM as a guest on Space-dye vest.

Again: just guessing... (Or dreaming? ;-)
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Grizz

« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2013, 08:18:11 AM »
Dreaming.

Now, why does everyone assume that TEI will be the opener? It certainly does not feel like a DT opener.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2013, 09:18:49 AM »
Dreaming.

Now, why does everyone assume that TEI will be the opener? It certainly does not feel like a DT opener.

It feels like a DT opener to me, but to each his own. :)

2nd set: couple of classics and surprises like "A mind beside itself".

I really hope they don't bring that back for a while, at least in the States. The four times I saw them during MP's tenure, that was played at three shows in some form. That's all they ever played from Awake with some consistency. "Scarred" was brought back briefly at one point. "The Mirror/Lie" (and actually earlier on, CiaW, too) was played on the BC&SL tour briefly, but neither were played State-side. I was thankful when, on the last tour, they brought "Caught in A Web" and "6:00" back. Finally, something else from that album.

[/rant] Sorry.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2013, 10:38:11 AM »

Awake needs its time to shine and its tracks have been spread out over several live releases over the years, but we've never gotten "Lifting Shadows Off A Dream" on an official live release (it was, however, released on a YJR album), as well as the obvious "Space-Dye Vest".

??? Lifting Shadows Off a Dream was on 5 Years in a Livetime. 

But I agree that it is overdue to come back.  And is the Mirror/Lie back-to-back.

Offline Jinx

« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2013, 11:34:57 AM »
Dreaming.

I always imagine a fantastic link between FAS heading into TEI. Also its such a high energy song, will get the crowd moving. Look at past openers with BITS, ANTR, TGP, TROAE. The opener is served to, well, open up the show! A perfect song and it is going to rock live  :metal

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2013, 02:22:29 PM »
I think Surrender to Reason would make a perfect opener. Just perfect. It's like it subtly showcases each of the five members individually and together in just the bit of the song. Plus the short little intimate acoustic and vocal part only a minute into the show would set a GREAT tone.

Imagine-

*silence.. then BOOM sudden first chords of the song*
*band hits that last note of the intro*
*first verse acoustic thing*
"..give more than theeeyy taakke, aahhh. *small space of eagerness* YOU READY LOS ANGELES?!"
*BADASS GUITAR RIFF IN YOUR FACE*
*Superprog part*

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2013, 05:06:33 PM »
I want to hear A Mind Beside Itself with current James' vocals. It's an amazing suite but.. I dunno about the Scenes from New York version, or Once in a Livetime for that matter.. Even the 2007-08 versions didn't seem as strong as they could have been. Voices is one of my favourite songs. And there's been some amazing instrumentation and solos in the live versions, but the vocals have never matched the studio for this song.

Enemy Inside kinda makes sense as an opener to me, so long as it has a build up preceding it such as False Awakening.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2013, 06:09:19 PM »
I think Surrender to Reason would make a perfect opener. Just perfect. It's like it subtly showcases each of the five members individually and together in just the bit of the song. Plus the short little intimate acoustic and vocal part only a minute into the show would set a GREAT tone.

Imagine-

*silence.. then BOOM sudden first chords of the song*
*band hits that last note of the intro*
*first verse acoustic thing*
"..give more than theeeyy taakke, aahhh. *small space of eagerness* YOU READY LOS ANGELES?!"
*BADASS GUITAR RIFF IN YOUR FACE*
*Superprog part*

That actually makes a ton of sense.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline TheAtliator

General predictions for DT12 songs live.
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2013, 09:24:26 PM »
There are SO many important questions to predict answers! ....

Which parts of songs is James going to use his mic stand for? Is James going to continue using the snaky curvy mic stand on this tour, or will there be a new mic stand for the new tour?

Will any keyboard parts be played on the iPad that maybe weren't (or at least weren't obviously) played in the original recording?

Which leads (vocal or instrumental) will be played note for note, and which ones will be altered/improvised?

Will the count offs for TEI, TBP, and STR be audible to the audience, or will it be secretly cowbelled like BAI?

Will False Awakening Suite ever be played live, or will it always be an intro tape (if ever)?

What will the backing screen look like? Shapes like the last tour? Multiple squares like previous tours? One big rectangular screen? What might they show on the screens during the new songs?