Author Topic: World Tour 2014 - Speculation Thread  (Read 17537 times)

Offline darkshade

World Tour 2014 - Speculation Thread
« on: June 13, 2013, 04:27:07 PM »
Knowing what we know so far, what do you guys expect for the upcoming tour to support the self-titled "Dream Theater" album?

For one, I expect a return to the "Evening With..." format, especially since they've been hinting at it. I also expect a return of epics like Octavarium and A Change of Seasons in the set lists, what with the orchestra being used on DT12. I expect less (or no) emphasis on WDADU, SC, or BC&SL material, except maybe TCOT. I expect plenty of ADTOE tunes because it was such a critically acclaimed album.

Not sure if they'll rotate the sets too much, that remains to be seen.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 10:27:01 AM by cyberdrummer »

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
Re: World Tour 2014 - Speculation Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 05:03:09 PM »
I don't think it'll be an Evening With for the entire tour. Maybe a few select shows. I always hope that ACOS will make a comeback, but it never happens! I'd say 8V is a more likely encore option. In terms of WDADU, SC and BC&SL, I'd say we'll see one song from the first two (Only A Matter of Time/Afterlife; ITPOE Pt. 1?), but none from the latter. I think we might finally see SDV full band, and TGP will return.

I reckon there'll be more rotation than the last tour, but still not as much as there was in the 2002-06 period.

No drum solo, but perhaps a minute or so in the middle of a song.

I also have a feeling (probably more of a hope) that they might do a few special shows for the 15th anniversary of SFAM.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 06:01:47 PM »
1. I'm hoping to be able to see my first Evening With show where I'm going to keep the surprise by not having looked up youtube videos of the tour yet.

2. I am REALLY hoping for them to play Octavarium or In The Presence of Enemies outside of their original tours for the first time, and then once that happens play A Change of Seasons too.

3. It will be interesting to see which ADTOE songs are chosen to be a part of the tour. I think (like most tours) they will be chosen pretty randomly.

4. I REALLY hope they keep the sets very different from the last album's tour (I hope no part of that has changed since MP left). And as with every other tour, it should include some songs haven't been played for many years. Last time it was Ytse Jam, 6:00 and some others; maybe this time it will be Light the Fuse, The Killing Hand, Anna Lee (I'm just choosing these kinda randomly off the top of my head), Lifting Shadows, This Dying Soul, whatever other random songs haven't been played in a while. I just choose randomly because I like most of them pretty much equally, and these are some that I've just been thinking about recently.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 09:13:56 PM »
I don't care what format they do as long as they don't skip CT again! They've ignored us the last two tours after stopping here every tour since TOT (maybe earlier).

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 09:26:45 PM »
I'm hoping for some Awake love in 2014. I hope that when they go through Canada they bring back LNF since it wasn't played here yet.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 09:27:52 PM »
OH YES!!! that was my other biggest hope! Awake anniversary!! maybe one of my two favorite Dream Theater albums!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 11:26:07 PM »
I wouldn't expecting rotating set lists (similar to what we saw in the early to mid 00s) to return.  I would expect something similar to the last tour, where most of the songs remain the same, with a handful rotating from night to night. 

It is hard to guess what will be played until we know if they are still doing tours with opening acts, but I think they'll find a way to play something from BC&SL regularly this time around (Wither, most likely), and I could see songs like The Glass Prison and In the Name of God making long-awaited returns in full.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 02:10:44 AM »
The last few tours they've kicked off with a short run of European dates (festivals and a few club dates) before coming back over with the full tour in the winter.

I can only assume that us poor Europeans will only be getting one leg this time round - shame.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 02:52:48 AM »
The last few tours they've kicked off with a short run of European dates (festivals and a few club dates) before coming back over with the full tour in the winter.

I can only assume that us poor Europeans will only be getting one leg this time round - shame.

Well, it may not be so. They might start touring with an opening act and do a couple of legs around the world with that format before coming back on a full blown "Evening With" tour once they have properly warmed up.

Or they could simply do what they did in the US last time. Two legs half a year apart with different setlists. I would not complain.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 04:56:45 AM »
I think the thread is probably misnamed.  IIRC, they aren't doing any touring until 2014.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 07:32:39 AM »
I hope I'll finally get the chance to see them.

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 10:11:26 AM »
Highly doubt they'll ever do the Evening with format ever again.  James's voice can't handle the 3.5 hour sets 5 nights a week anymore

Offline darkshade

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 10:24:53 AM »
I think the thread is probably misnamed.  IIRC, they aren't doing any touring until 2014.

Probably, I thought they said they would start touring in the fall though.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 11:40:47 AM »
I read 2014. James will probably do a proper solo tour in the fall or something.

I'm also hoping during that time JP will announce something about his new solo album.

Does anyone really think they'll play much of ADTOE besides maybe OTBOA? I mean, they played the ENTIRE album during the last tour. I think they'll probably take a break from it, and maybe play some more BC&SL since they played NONE of it. Maybe TBOT or TSF.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 01:50:54 PM »
^^ I'd rather prefer ANTR, Wither or TCOT

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 04:12:05 PM »
They could keep BAI as set closer or encore, it got enough love from the fans live to earn that spot. Not sure about the timing, though, could very well not happen until the tour following this one.

As for BCSL I vote in favour of carrying on with the lapse, unless they actually go for the three hours, in which case, TCOT.
- Marco

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 06:07:18 PM »
I'd prefer those also, but they still haven't played the other two yet. That's why they might play those.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 11:23:09 PM »

This, minus The Count.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 01:59:04 AM »
I'd prefer those also, but they still haven't played the other two yet. That's why they might play those.
I'm 100% sure that they'll never play TBOT live, because it's so personal to MP. I also can't see them premiering TSF live without him, since the 12-step suite was his thing.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2013, 11:10:21 PM »
DT have become fairly well known (I think) for their use of cinematic symphony scores for opening their shows. They used Psycho for the CIM tour. They used The Dream Collapses from Inception for their first tour with Mangini. Do you think they'll use an opening theme for the Evening With... shows? What do you think it will be?
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2013, 11:48:14 PM »
Time's Scar from Chrono Cross would be awesome and I would nerd-gasm all over that shit.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2013, 02:36:59 AM »
Probably the intro/overture track from the new album

Offline darkshade

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2013, 07:07:06 AM »
I'm 100% sure that they'll never play TBOT live, because it's so personal to MP. I also can't see them premiering TSF live without him, since the 12-step suite was his thing.

TBOT: It's the new Space Dye Vest.

I'm hoping the band brings back at least one song from BC&SL, either ANTR or TCOT is fine with me, and since they're both long, I'd expect only one per night; maybe rotate each one every other night.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2013, 05:12:57 AM »
I'm hoping the band brings back at least one song from BC&SL, either ANTR or TCOT is fine with me, and since they're both long, I'd expect only one per night; maybe rotate each one every other night.

:2metal:

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2013, 01:17:26 PM »
Soooo browsing SeeTickets for the Wolverhampton show, this is what I find:

https://www.seetickets.com/search?q=dream+theater&search=

:huh: :huh: :huh:

Offline tuto

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2013, 09:15:28 PM »
I really can see octavarium and stream of consciousness making a return

Offline Grizz

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2013, 04:15:18 PM »
I don't care what format they do as long as they don't skip CT again! They've ignored us the last two tours after stopping here every tour since TOT (maybe earlier).
This.
Well, I don't know if you can really count their 2010 tour (hey it's the three year anniversary of my favorite DT show!) and 2011/2012 were the same tour.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2013, 04:44:06 PM »

I wouldn't call 8V's comeback possible. Not with a 20+ song in the new album.
- Marco

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2013, 05:04:08 PM »

I wouldn't call 8V's comeback possible. Not with a 20+ song in the new album.

This!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2013, 02:40:17 AM »
I wouldn't expecting rotating set lists (similar to what we saw in the early to mid 00s) to return.  I would expect something similar to the last tour, where most of the songs remain the same, with a handful rotating from night to night. 
If they really are doing long Evening With shows again as has been indicated (say around 3 hours) then I think there's scope for more rotation than on the last couple of album tours. Basically it would mean that keeping the core of songs from night to night takes up less of the total set, so you can change the rest up more.

Of course, that requires MM to have learned more of DT's songs, and also for the band to have rehearsed more songs, so I'm still not sure we'd get it.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2013, 03:41:19 AM »
https://www.bravewords.com/news/204602

On that interview MM says that originally he went through the entire catalogue and spend a bit of time with each song so he could work out what they were doing. Dont think he learnt each one inside out, but who's to say he didnt go back to them??

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2013, 03:59:28 AM »
https://www.bravewords.com/news/204602

On that interview MM says that originally he went through the entire catalogue and spend a bit of time with each song so he could work out what they were doing. Dont think he learnt each one inside out, but who's to say he didnt go back to them??

I remember that, and I would like to add that this time he will have plenty of time to learn to go through whatever song he will need to play. He said that his own learning method allows him to learn a song thoroughly in about four hours (IIRC), and he has more than six months left until the tour begins! I'm sure there's enough space in his professional and personal schedule to fit in an in-depth learning session for a bigger bunch of songs this time. :)
- Marco

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2013, 10:11:08 AM »
I would really like to hear BAI live. That's my only wish :)
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2013, 10:11:52 AM »

Considering the reception it's got and the type of song it is, it's likely to be an encore song.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2013, 10:14:01 AM »

Considering the reception it's got and the type of song it is, it's likely to be an encore song.
But there'll be new epic 20+ min song. Still, I'm sure they'll find some space for BAI ;)
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...