Author Topic: Liam Gallagher "proud" to have tinnitus...  (Read 3741 times)

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
Re: Liam Gallagher "proud" to have tinnitus...
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2013, 06:08:04 PM »
To be honest, those co-workers must have been living under a rock.  Even if you hate Oasis, there's no denying the amazing success they had in the ninties.

Eh, I only know of Wonderwall as well.

:blush  ummm...I never heard of Oasis until a few years ago.  Didn't know the subject of this thread exactly until I just happened to see a video of "Wonderwall" on VH-1 "Great Songs of the 90s" last night.  I still can't vouch for his personality.

Oasis and the like were not part of my music spectrum in the 90s.   :millahhhh

It's good to be informed now, though!  :)
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2013, 06:08:40 PM »
I call shenanigans on all of you.  I bet you know songs but not titles.

Live Forever --   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2poqYvWsyU

Don't Look Back In Anger  -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8OipmKFDeM

Champagne Supernova  -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3C7DECI0jU

FTFY

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2013, 06:10:15 PM »
I've heard of both Oasis and Wonderwall, but that's about it. If someone had mentioned the name Liam Gallagher to me before today, I would've had no clue who he was.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2013, 06:10:35 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NMUDb3Ewhs&hd=1

Proof as if it were needed that Noel was the only talent in that band and carried every one else.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2013, 06:11:06 PM »
I've heard of both Oasis and Wonderwall, but that's about it. If someone had mentioned the name Liam Gallagher to me before today, I would've had no clue who he was.

It's ironic that his name is William John Paul Gallagher when he is clearly Ringo :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2013, 06:28:01 PM »
I was in Germany in the 90s, and while they were a pretty popular band, they were definitely not *the* band of the 90s.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2013, 07:17:42 PM »
I went to high school and college in the 90's.  Had no idea who this guy was.  I've heard of Oasis as a band, but I couldn't tell you what they sound like.  I've heard of a song (album?) called Wonderwall but couldn't hum a note of it.

I assume this was played on popular radio.  That was definitely NOT my thing.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2013, 08:32:46 PM »
I was in Germany in the 90s, and while they were a pretty popular band, they were definitely not *the* band of the 90s.

Yup. Definitely goes to either Nirvana, Metallica, or Pearl Jam. Nirvana was short-lived, obviously, but their legacy in popular rock is ridiculously well-cemented the way teens these days still know about them very well despite their last album being released around the time of those teens' birth or even shortly before it. Metallica was so popular in the 90s that they alienated a large chunk of their fanbase for the majority of that decade while releasing some of their worst material (in my opinion as well as public consensus) and only saw their popularity continually grow. Pearl Jam was explosively popular from '93-'96 and still kept a steady following despite unnerving their longtime fans with album after album of radical stylistic shifts. To this day, young music fans are still discovering and getting into them.

Oasis would win in a murderous landslide if the criteria was solely "Band of the 90s according to Europe" but, the world over, any of the above three would win comfortably.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2013, 08:11:53 AM »
Also - Oasis made some sketchy albums but they didn't completely piss away their legacy...

Their final two albums - Don't Believe The Truth & Dig Out Your Soul were two of their best.

High Flying Birds was a brilliant solo album from Noel and Beady Eye's first album was basically

" Spot the rock classic " .

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2013, 08:49:13 AM »
I think the only song I can honestly say I know by Oasis is that "Champagne Supernova" song, which was overplayed to death on FM rock radio for a long time.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2013, 09:46:14 AM »
Also - Oasis made some sketchy albums but they didn't completely piss away their legacy...

Their final two albums - Don't Believe The Truth & Dig Out Your Soul were two of their best.

High Flying Birds was a brilliant solo album from Noel and Beady Eye's first album was basically

" Spot the rock classic " .

Agree with everything, except I never listened to the Beady Eye album.

I'd say if there's a low spot in Oasis' discography for me personally, it's Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants and Heathen Chemistry, though I feel every album is mostly filler with a few gems. Except Dig Out Your Soul. That's mostly an awesome one. At the very least, Oasis went out on a high note album-wise.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2013, 01:55:09 PM »
Yeah - it would have been a lot worse if they'd split up after Giants.. Would have ben a total letdown.

It makes you wonder if Noel was only sticking around to make sure they ended on a good album and not a bad one.

Giants is definitely their worst album and all the accoutrements in the world couldn't make Little James a good song.

But as you said - there's always at least one or two gems on a bad Oasis album and Giants had Go Let It Out, Gas Panic and Roll It Over.

But out of the whole band - only Noel and Alan played on that album so it was more or less a Noel solo album with Liam on vocals.

The first Beady Eye album isn't even as good as the worst oasis album.  It's one of those albums that you realise how shit it is when you hear it with a friend and it's like ok that's this riff - that's this song , that's this lyric.
I've not listened to the 2nd album yet and i'm in no hurry because Liam is on it.

But - despite his big mouth in the past - I can show you a recent interview with Noel where he is very down to earth, funny and polite and dismissive of their weakest output. He's definitely matured since 1994 whereas Liam thinks it's still 1994 and hasn't grown up at all. He is all front and it's so transparent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDF9pe_uFoA - here is a good recent interview with Noel.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 02:00:55 PM by Kotowboy »

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2013, 04:42:23 PM »
The only thing I know about the second Beady Eye album is that it has boob on the cover. That's about it.  :lol beyond that, I don't care. I'm far more curious about Noel's stuff. High Flying Birds was fantastic.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2013, 04:45:05 PM »
The only thing I know about the second Beady Eye album is that it has boob on the cover. That's about it.  :lol beyond that, I don't care. I'm far more curious about Noel's stuff. High Flying Birds was fantastic.

It seems like Liam has to be in the news every day mouthing of about how all other bands in existence are shit besides his or being controversial.

Hey our new album has a nude lady on it - that'll shift a few copies...

My reaction on hearing " If I Had A Gun " =  :'(

My Reaction on hearing " Bring The Light " by Beady Eye =  :rollin dafuq?!

One of the best songs Noel has ever written VS Great Balls Of Fire. Seriously if you want a really good laugh - give Bring The Light a spin.

It may be a really clever ploy on Noel's part but since he came out with his album - he's been nothing but nice and diplomatic about Beady Eye - whereas

Liam unsurprisingly has been nothing but derogatory about Noel. If I was Noel - i'd take the high road too - if only to make Liam's childish insults

look even worse by comparison.

Liam would just tell you he's the bigger man. He wouldn't even try to act like he was. He'd just tell you he was and that would be that.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 04:55:33 PM by Kotowboy »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2013, 06:29:05 PM »
This just gave me an idea, what if Liam and Geoff (from QR) got together for an album?

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2013, 06:35:46 PM »
I'm sure one would be dead, and the other on trial for murder.  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2013, 08:22:48 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfdYY1Iundo&hd=1

This needs to be heard.

This is what Liam has to offer in repsons to Live Forever, Don't Look Back In Anger, If I Had A Gun, Cast No Shadow.... :lol