Author Topic: Why are these guys "Quiet Riot?"  (Read 2381 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Why are these guys "Quiet Riot?"
« on: June 11, 2013, 01:50:20 PM »
Just saw a post elsewhere that Quiet Riot is booked for the 2014 Monsters of Rock cruise.  And my question is:  Why are these guys still a band?  I mean, this isn't to knock Quiet Riot or their music.  I just mean it from the perspective of:  Who is even in Quiet Riot now? Obviously, Kevin is out. Carlos is in Ratt full time. Rudy is...doing a million other things. Is it just Frankie and 3 other unknown guys now?  If the only member of your band is just the drummer (no offense, drummers!) who is (1) not a founding member, and (2) was not really a songwriter in the band, how on earth do you go out and play a show as "Quiet Riot?"  I don't get it.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 02:05:27 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Re: Quiet Riot
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 01:59:59 PM »
Actually, Chuck Wright did bass and backing vocals on the song Metal Health and (I think) some others form that and QRIII and has been in and out of the band a few times.  Yeah, Rudy has always been the best known bassist for the band, but Chuck has been around.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Why are these guys "Quiet Riot?"
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 02:07:27 PM »
I didn't realize that Chuck was on bass now and had forgotten that he recorded bass on the first album.  That makes it a little better, I suppose.  But it still seems VERY odd to me that you don't have even a single original songwriter in the band.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 02:10:06 PM »
Right.  Makes sense.  I think it's kinda Frankie's way of helping keep the memory of Kevin DuBrow alive.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 02:17:56 PM »
I didn't realize that Chuck was on bass now and had forgotten that he recorded bass on the first album.  That makes it a little better, I suppose.  But it still seems VERY odd to me that you don't have even a single original songwriter in the band.

I don't imagine they will be doing any writing, just the nostalgia trip so I guess it won't matter. They could always just get Noddy Holder to do all their songwriting like first time round  :biggrin: .

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 02:24:27 PM »
:lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 03:51:48 PM »
Tony Iommi's Black Sabbath

Nuff said.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 03:58:50 PM »
Yes, but Tony is (1) a founding member and (2) one of the primary songwriters.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 04:01:51 PM »
And there's still Geezer...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 04:16:08 PM »
And there's still Geezer...

Quit with the personal attacks, you young whippersnapper!  I'm not THAT old!  :getoffmylawn:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 05:08:38 PM »
Honestly, the requirements for bands on those rock/booze cruises is pretty damn low. Axl Rose could show up with a 6' cardboard print of a "/" and he'd get booked as the original Guns 'n Roses lineup.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 07:49:13 PM »

Still wasn't anything that sounded or resembled Black Sabbath.  Not that is wasn't good.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 01:26:17 AM »
Right.  Makes sense.  I think it's kinda Frankie's way of making enough money for lunch.

FTFY?

A lot of these bands have very little link to the original band. Steelheart and White Lion went for a while with just the singers, didn't they? And rumby mentioned GNR.
If it's the voice of the band, I can sorta understand them getting away with it, although it's more just about money and name recognition at that point.

Still wasn't anything that sounded or resembled Black Sabbath.  Not that is wasn't good.

But Tony is Tony. He gets a pass.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 06:17:03 AM »
Right.  Makes sense.  I think it's kinda Frankie's way of making enough money for lunch.

FTFY?

A lot of these bands have very little link to the original band. Steelheart and White Lion went for a while with just the singers, didn't they? And rumby mentioned GNR.
If it's the voice of the band, I can sorta understand them getting away with it, although it's more just about money and name recognition at that point.

But Tony is Tony. He gets a pass.

And wasn't it his intention to release it as a Tony Iommi solo album?  My understanding was that it was the record company that pushed for the "Tony Iommi's Black Sabbath" to be added.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 06:18:23 AM »
I still don't agree.  It's a solo album.  when you attach the bands name to your name in front, it's a solo album.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 06:22:09 AM »
Tony Iommi's Black Sabbath

Nuff said.

No.  Tony is legit.

Plus, Seventh Star had Geoff Nicholls and Eric Singer.  Singer stayed in the band for The Eternal Idol and Nicholls played on every Sabbath album from Heaven and Hell right up to Forbiden.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2013, 06:23:55 AM »
I still don't agree.  It's a solo album.  when you attach the bands name to your name in front, it's a solo album.

You're right, it was meant to be a solo album but I believe the record company wanted the Sabbath name with it to help with sales.  In my mind, everything Tony did since Born Again was Sabbath.  Plus the albums with Tony Martin had a new sound that became Sabbath of the 80's.  Seventh Star was the stepping stone towards that. 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2013, 06:33:13 AM »
And really, Tony never wanted Seventh Star labelled a Sabbath album. It was a record company job.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2013, 06:53:00 AM »
And wasn't it his intention to release it as a Tony Iommi solo album?  My understanding was that it was the record company that pushed for the "Tony Iommi's Black Sabbath" to be added.

Very common occurrence too. Same deal with Whitesnake - Restless Heart, and I believe with "Jimi Jamison's Survivor" - Empires, which after a lawsuit got re-released as a solo album as it should have been.

Record companies want name recognition to get sales. They don't care about cred. While people here are obviously knowledgeable with this stuff, the average person is more likely to give an album a look if it has that recognizable band name on it, instead of the name of a member which they are less likely to know as casual fans of a band.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2013, 08:14:25 AM »
I agree with all you said except that it's not Black Sabbath.  we all know he was forced but it was a solo album to me.  I understand that Frankie is not the main writer in the band and I do know he is the financial manager of the band for quite some time now.  I get all that.  Both to me are not legit for them top call themselves the name of each band. That's all.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2013, 08:19:32 AM »
I saw this lineup of Quiet Riot at M3 last year.  I thought they sounded outstanding.

Set:

Run For Cover
Slick Black Cadillac
Mama Weer All Crazee Now
Sign of the Times
Love's A Bitch
Cum on Feel the Noize
Metal Health (Bang Your Head)

They fucking opened with Run for Cover.  Bad.  Ass.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2013, 09:09:31 AM »
I agree with all you said except that it's not Black Sabbath.  we all know he was forced but it was a solo album to me.  I understand that Frankie is not the main writer in the band and I do know he is the financial manager of the band for quite some time now.  I get all that.  Both to me are not legit for them top call themselves the name of each band. That's all.

Sure, King, you type that while wearing your "Rush featuring John Rutsey" t shirt!

;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2013, 09:18:01 AM »
Who?! :biggrin:

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2013, 08:14:05 PM »
When will they book both Queensryches?

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 08:17:29 PM »
If someone was able to trick both QRs into playing "secret" shows and got both of them to show up at the same venue before figuring it out, I'd blow my urethra out with the force of how intensely I'd piss myself laughing.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2013, 12:28:41 AM »
bands should live on forever with ever changing new members, like our beloved sports franchises.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2013, 12:40:20 AM »
What a hilariously amusing concept :lol Hopefully some of our more skilled graphics folk (BLOB!!!!) can design some mock band jerseys.

Instead of them going through cycles of contending and sucking, they'll have periods of time when they have shitty musicians and/or songwriters and also times when they have virtuosos and compelling lyricists. But will they ever be able to put it all together to make a serious title run?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2013, 05:04:50 AM »
bands should live on forever with ever changing new members, like our beloved sports franchises.

I believe Gene Simmons has suggested this very thing for KISS. They are half way there now  :biggrin:

Offline jammindude

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2013, 05:48:04 AM »

I believe one of the members of Yes (Jon I think?) stated on the Union tour video (so, 1991) that Yes would most likely continue on in this manner.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2013, 05:56:16 AM »

Lynyrd Skynyrd anyone? I think Gary Rossington is the only one left that was there from the start.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2013, 06:27:57 AM »

Lynyrd Skynyrd anyone? I think Gary Rossington is the only one left that was there from the start.

Rickey Medlocke was an original drummer in Skynyrd , before leaving them to form Blackfoot, where he moved to the front of the stage as a singer and guitarist....
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2013, 07:02:07 AM »
I love Blackfoot!!

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2013, 07:32:30 AM »
There was a period where Molly Hatchet was touring with a line up that had NO original members left, just a member that had joined the band in 1984, though thankfully Dave Hlubek came back in 2005 and put an end to that madness. Half of an early line up of Quiet Riot touring as QR is considerably better than that.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2013, 08:07:12 AM »

Foreigner has had only one founding member (Mick Jones) in the band for about a decade.  They still sound like Foreigner when I see them live, though.  A lot of it has to do with vocalists.  In the case of Foreigner, they found Kelly Hansen who sounds almost exactly like Lou Gramm did in his prime.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2013, 08:17:41 AM »
I saw Foghat recently and I swear they had a dead Roger Earl (the only remaining original member) propped up at the drums while a sound track played the drums. I'm not sure if his chin ever left his chest the whole show. They have the guitarist from Wild Cherry (I forget his name) playing all the Rod Price parts...not good. Plus without the vocals of Lonesome what's the point? It was very disappointing.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens