Author Topic: Things that piss me off  (Read 502840 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Things that piss me off
« Reply #6265 on: November 17, 2016, 07:27:55 AM »
   Early adopter of Microsoft Streets software 

Never even heard of that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6266 on: November 17, 2016, 07:30:04 AM »
My Mom is the worst at giving directions. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6267 on: November 17, 2016, 07:33:27 AM »
I should crank "Girl Directions" right now.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6268 on: November 17, 2016, 08:10:47 AM »
All I can think of is that Adam Sandler skit on Saturday Night Live:

"So you go to the Dunkin Donuts, and go past that until you see the retahded kid on the right, and take a left."

Offline Jester

« Reply #6269 on: November 17, 2016, 08:50:09 AM »

Came out in the early to mid 90s.  It was a CD-ROM that only held info of a specific location such as "Southern California" or "Las Vegas".  I'd have that CD-ROM in my laptop (because burning an iso of it was unrealistic in those days).  The idea of an online MapQuest with actual maps wasn't a reality then.  I became a really big hit with the company's freight/delivery manager.

The only reason I even had it was because it was "free" with my Tax Software.  The days where you'd buy Tax software and get 40 different CD-ROMs for free (and then a rebate for the tax software on top of that.
Political discussion post-election = pointless.
Nothing like getting a lecture on “what is and will happen” from the same people that just went 0 for 100 at bat during the election cycle.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6270 on: November 17, 2016, 08:53:38 AM »

Came out in the early to mid 90s.  It was a CD-ROM that only held info of a specific location such as "Southern California" or "Las Vegas".  I'd have that CD-ROM in my laptop (because burning an iso of it was unrealistic in those days).  The idea of an online MapQuest with actual maps wasn't a reality then.  I became a really big hit with the company's freight/delivery manager.

The only reason I even had it was because it was "free" with my Tax Software.  The days where you'd buy Tax software and get 40 different CD-ROMs for free (and then a rebate for the tax software on top of that.

My father used to write software for the Department of Transportation in CT way back when, and he spent 18 months on a team trying to rip off that software  :lol

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6271 on: November 17, 2016, 09:24:51 AM »
All I can think of is that Adam Sandler skit on Saturday Night Live:

"So you go to the Dunkin Donuts, and go past that until you see the retahded kid on the right, and take a left."

Man, was he really shilling for Dunkin Donuts back then too?  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6272 on: November 17, 2016, 09:40:20 AM »

HAHAHA, I wrote my first will off a program that came in that same batch of CD-ROMS!  HAHA.  Good times.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6273 on: November 17, 2016, 10:08:24 AM »

HAHAHA, I wrote my first will off a program that came in that same batch of CD-ROMS!  HAHA.  Good times.

As a kid I remember my father's Turbo Tax software and the tons of CDs that came with it.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6274 on: November 18, 2016, 06:04:38 AM »
Girlfriend just informed me she picked up 16 hours of overtime shifts this weekend so she could afford Christmas gifts for everyone in her huge family. Perhaps I'm being a grinch, but that makes my blood boil.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6275 on: November 18, 2016, 06:14:55 AM »
Girlfriend just informed me she picked up 16 hours of overtime shifts this weekend so she could afford Christmas gifts for everyone in her huge family. Perhaps I'm being a grinch, but that makes my blood boil.

So you are upset that he's working 2 extra day to buy presents Bri?  What's wrong with that?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6276 on: November 18, 2016, 06:26:49 AM »

So you are upset that he's working 2 extra day to buy presents Bri?  What's wrong with that?

Just seems wasteful to me. She's working like a dog since her promotion on top of taking three classes for her masters. She gets about 4 hours of sleep a night and has no time to do anything. This was the first weekend she's had completely free in about 3 months. I'd be livid if I found out someone put in over time for the sole purpose of being able to buy me something I didn't need in anyway in the name of 'tradition'. Her family loves her, they know she loves them.  I just don't understand the need every year to drop $1k+ on completely unneeded items. On a higher level, I think it's very indicative of a much larger problem in our society. Anyone putting christmas gifts on credit cards because they couldn't get them otherwise shouldn't be buying gifts, and shame on anyone on the receiving end that'd actually be upset that a family member wasn't willing to go into debt for something so silly.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 06:36:02 AM by Chino »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6277 on: November 18, 2016, 06:37:36 AM »
Ok, now that I get.  She's going to burn herself out.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6278 on: November 18, 2016, 07:59:13 AM »
While I see your point, if she is willing to put in those hours then it shouldn't be a problem. If buying gifts is something she values, who are you to tell her no, get some more sleep or whatever?  Now if she feels forced to do it, that's a different problem.   Her family should understand she is busy and money is tight for acceptance of cheaper or no gifts, but that's up to her, not you in my view.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6279 on: November 18, 2016, 08:07:04 AM »
While I see your point, if she is willing to put in those hours then it shouldn't be a problem.

It wouldn't bother me as much if our house didn't need a new roof and $6k worth of repairs to sill damage.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6280 on: November 18, 2016, 08:08:13 AM »
While I see your point, if she is willing to put in those hours then it shouldn't be a problem.

It wouldn't bother me as much if our house didn't need a new roof and $6k worth of repairs to sill damage.

Sounds like she needs to stay on pace with the extra 16 hours of OT.

Offline Jester

« Reply #6281 on: November 18, 2016, 02:37:04 PM »
Suburban blight/decay.

There really is nowhere to move where I've spent much of my life except hundreds of miles away.  It started as a few places here and there when I was very young.  Then places where I grew up are now is disarray when I check up on them.

There are now very few places that aren't as affected.  But they are the ultra-rich areas.  And it really is like a 4 to 10 mile radius before you are right back in the decay.

What is really getting me is that stray cats are starting to get out of control.  On a very frequent basis, we get stray cat visits in our backyard.  And we can't help but give them some food and water.  They are actually very friendly.  People let their cats and dogs roam free and eventually they find our backyard where a few strays have been nursed back to health by us.  And you get attached to them.  Quite frankly, they are some of the most loving cats.  Like they know they struck gold after a previous hard life and possible abandonment.  But then these other strays come in, attack, leaving them infected.  Now after all that fight back to a loving cat life after being abandoned, they become horribly infected and you are left with no option but to end their pain at the local shelter.

And there are limits to what we can do.  Helping out a cat here and there over the course of a few years is possible.  But this is much more than that.  And you can only take so many bad endings.  Not to mention we have a couple of cats that are 2nd generation rescue cats that we don't want to put at risk.

And that is just one aspect of the crap that has become everyday life in this state.  Don't even get me started on the graffiti that is out of control, and the politics that crept into the graffiti.
Nothing like getting a lecture on “what is and will happen” from the same people that just went 0 for 100 at bat during the election cycle.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6282 on: November 18, 2016, 02:48:41 PM »
Is your cat situation a metaphor for society?

Offline Jester

« Reply #6283 on: November 18, 2016, 03:31:16 PM »
I wish.  Nope.  Just one of the many results.

Really upset (pissed is not the right word) that there are just SO MANY PEOPLE that don't give a crap about not just living animals, but even how horrible it leaves the neighborhood.  Just rescued a pregnant cat earlier this year.  Sheltered and fed her until she had her kittens, gave her and one of her kittens a home, fixed them to curtail the out of control population and took a good month interviewing people to make sure the other kittens went to loving homes.  We trade pictures via text of the mom and her kittens.

But that type of care seems very rare these days.  When I'm out in the front yard, I'd have to bring an abacus just to count all the unaccompanied dogs and cats that walk by.  We are actually in a relatively decent neighborhood, but not ultra-rich (multi-million dollar properties).  So walk a mile and it is back to blight.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6284 on: November 26, 2016, 09:21:41 AM »
People who are glued to their phones all day every day - but will they answer texts or answer phone calls ?

NOPE.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6285 on: December 05, 2016, 09:34:13 AM »
People who are glued to their phones all day every day - but will they answer texts or answer phone calls ?

NOPE.

Maybe they don't want to? I'm under no obligation to get back to someone in real time. Hell, 15-20 years ago, you could go completely off grid by just pulling your phone cord out of the wall. It was common practice. People have been ignoring calls and letting it go to an answering machine or voicemail for as long as those things have been around. Texting comes along, and suddenly everyone is supposed to be on demand at all times. No. If it's my day off, and I don't want to be bothered with people on the outside and want a day 100% to myself, I'm going to do it. You'll live if I don't text you back for a couple hours.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6286 on: December 05, 2016, 09:36:44 AM »

NOPE.

Maybe they don't want to? I'm under no obligation to get back to someone in real time. Hell, 15-20 years ago, you could go completely off grid by just pulling your phone cord out of the wall. It was common practice. People have been ignoring calls and letting it go to an answering machine or voicemail for as long as those things have been around. Texting comes along, and suddenly everyone is supposed to be on demand at all times. No. If it's my day off, and I don't want to be bothered with people on the outside and want a day 100% to myself, I'm going to do it. You'll live if I don't text you back for a couple hours.

::) I'm talking about people who do it HABITUALLY.

NEVER off their phones.

NEVER reply to anything.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #6287 on: December 05, 2016, 01:02:29 PM »

NOPE.

::) I'm talking about people who do it HABITUALLY.

NEVER off their phones.

NEVER reply to anything.

That just means they aren't that into you.  Take the hint.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6288 on: December 05, 2016, 01:34:12 PM »
As soon as I saw who had replied I knew it was be an insult.

We all know YOU'RE not into me.

I didn't even say anything about you...

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #6289 on: December 05, 2016, 02:38:26 PM »

Quite seriously it was not an insult.  If I knew someone who was constantly on their phone, and constantly ignored my texts and calls?  Yeah Id take the hint.

But you responded.to me  :hat
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #6290 on: December 05, 2016, 08:23:19 PM »

Quite seriously it was not an insult.  If I knew someone who was constantly on their phone, and constantly ignored my texts and calls?  Yeah Id take the hint.

But you responded.to me  :hat

Yeah, I don't think it's an insult either. It's free advice. Take the fucking hint.  :lol

Offline Jester

« Reply #6291 on: December 06, 2016, 02:24:18 AM »
Wouldn't be surprised if this already popped up in this mega-thread.

YouTube videos with the labels like:
Person X destroys Person Y

destroys, schools, humiliates, eviscerates and all the other heavily biased statements.  They aren't only on YouTube, but that is probably the biggest home of that type of stuff.

Truth in advertising.  Two people talk past one another and we are all dumber for it.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #6292 on: December 06, 2016, 02:48:14 AM »
I'm not particularly a fan of the whole omggetrektroasted mentality either, but I can't really see the idea being actively harmful to society, at least not unless it's being used as a substitute for actual legitimate criticism that is.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6293 on: December 06, 2016, 06:00:18 AM »
On the internet - hating something is more valid than liking it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6294 on: December 06, 2016, 10:00:53 AM »

NOPE.

I do this a lot.  I need to.   "Immediate" doesn't mean "urgent".    As long as I take the risk of not being in contact (as with an invite or something) I'm not sure that you need an immediate response to whether I like the Christian Bale Batman better than the Ben Affleck Batman (I don't). 

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #6295 on: December 06, 2016, 11:51:52 PM »
On the internet - hating something is more valid than liking it.

True, but I think generally because it's easier to come up with reasons for hating something than reasons for liking something, because the former are things that stick out & get your attention while the latter is more subtle a lot of the time.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6296 on: December 11, 2016, 04:20:02 PM »
When your wife's company forces your wife to work 830am to 1230pm on Christmas day.

Fuck you Walgreens.

Offline Jester

« Reply #6297 on: December 11, 2016, 04:44:17 PM »
When your wife's company forces your wife to work 830am to 1230pm on Christmas day.

Fuck you Walgreens.

I know.  You had already scheduled that time for her to cook your Christmas feast?   :laugh:

I will personally boycott Walgreens on Christmas day as a show of solidarity.  Unless of course they have something I must have that day.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6298 on: December 11, 2016, 04:45:52 PM »
That's my sister in law!! :lol

I can't enjoy opening gifts like a family.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6299 on: December 11, 2016, 04:45:59 PM »

Fuck you Walgreens.

Work stayed open longer the other day and I texted my Grandad if he was going grocery shopping at the time I wanted to leave so they couldn't ask me to stay on.

He said he was going shopping so I told my boss he'd previously asked me to help him out at that time so i couldn't stay.

He *had* but for the week before... :lol

I didn't care because my bosses are NOTORIOUS for just telling you to stay longer as you're leaving work. Not asking you in advance IF you can... So I don't care one iota.

if i'm going to outright lie like that I try to have a truth to base it on - that way you can be more believable.