Author Topic: Music player options other than Apple.  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Music player options other than Apple.
« on: June 08, 2013, 08:31:58 AM »
I'm in the market for a new music playing device. I have had two ipods and two ipads. Both have been good to me, but I'm ready to move away from apple. I'd like at least 32 gig and and open to sd cards for expansion. GO!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Music player options other than Apple.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 08:35:17 AM »
Gotta say, for me at this point SD card stats have become irrelevant. I have all my music on Google Music, and it's just streaming down to my HTC One.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 08:38:29 AM »
I have a Galaxy player, and am more than happy with it.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 08:38:59 AM »
Gotta say, for me at this point SD card stats have become irrelevant. I have all my music on Google Music, and it's just streaming down to my HTC One.
I don't like to play music on my phone as I may need the battery for calls etc, so I prefer to have a separate device.

Like Chino, I'm struggling to find something good with a big capacity. There are some that look really good, but I'd prefer to stick with something that has iOS or Android so that I can have the Spotify app, as I listen to a lot of stuff on it.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 08:57:39 AM »

I'd love to do that. But the place I work out has god awful 3g and 4g, and I can't get onto wifi. I can't rely on streaming my music.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 10:39:24 AM »
Your cell phone and Spotify Premum -- You can download and play anything without being connected to the internet.

Offline Cable

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 10:19:43 PM »

I'd love to do that. But the place I work out has god awful 3g and 4g, and I can't get onto wifi. I can't rely on streaming my music.

I prefer music on storage rather than streaming. While I don't have to worry about data, others do. And I like decent high quality sound, which streaming doesn't always give. And the battery factor mentioned already.

As far as the original question; not a clue, sorry! I use my phone for my player.
---

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 02:30:51 AM »
I'm guessing you won't be taking my aproach of a linuxed netbook, a portable hard drive and MPlayer.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 03:48:00 AM »
I have a sansa clip+ which has a microsd slot, it's great.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 01:14:51 PM »
Does anyone know a good music player with really high memory other then an iPod Classic? In the first two months I had it my Classic got this weird glitch where it'd switch and pause songs constantly even when locked and I'd have to reset it sometimes in the 10s of times till it started working again, then all of a sudden the headphone jack proved to be faulty, one channel stopped working, and then the other. So I really don't trust Apple.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 03:03:57 PM »
LieLow, I've never had that problem with my I-Pod Classic.  Did you reboot it and load all the songs back on it?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 04:30:44 PM »

I do too, because I rip my music in FLAC these days (and the Sansa is one of the few players out there that's FLAC compatible).  The player I have is 8GB, but I have two micro SD cards - one is 16GB, the other is 32GB.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 09:46:39 AM »
LieLow, I've never had that problem with my I-Pod Classic.  Did you reboot it and load all the songs back on it?
I haven't. Maybe I'll try that later. I think it's a problem with the headphone jack. I might just try and get it fixed at a place. We'll see.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 11:44:37 AM »

I do too, because I rip my music in FLAC these days (and the Sansa is one of the few players out there that's FLAC compatible).  The player I have is 8GB, but I have two micro SD cards - one is 16GB, the other is 32GB.

My phone is my primary music player now a days... and it plays FLAC :D
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 02:43:31 PM »
Does anyone know a good music player with really high memory other then an iPod Classic? In the first two months I had it my Classic got this weird glitch where it'd switch and pause songs constantly even when locked and I'd have to reset it sometimes in the 10s of times till it started working again, then all of a sudden the headphone jack proved to be faulty, one channel stopped working, and then the other. So I really don't trust Apple.
A similar thing happened to me. I had my iPod classic for about  9-10 months and it would stop a song in the middle and skip to the next one. Sometimes it would skip several songs ahead. I tried to restore and re-sync it, but when when syncing it would freeze after 1000 songs. I took it to Apple and they said the hard drive was broken (you could hear it whirring louder than usual when syncing) and they replaced it since it was under warrant. Have you dropped it or moved it quickly (e.g. run with it in your pocket) as that usually is what kills the hard drive?

The headphone thing could be an entirely different issue, or it could also be a result of dropping it (if thats what happened). I dropped my old Itouch and the headphone jack dislodged causing it to not play in the right channel.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 02:50:38 PM by ColdFireYYZ »

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2013, 07:27:36 PM »

Me too. I love the clip +

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 11:13:33 PM »
My phone is my primary music player now a days... and it plays FLAC :D

And it's not an Apple device?

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 11:16:01 PM »
Hell No.

Android. And I use a music player called PowerAmp. it's like 4 bucks but that app alone has been responsible for me not touching my itouch (ancient second gen) in like a year
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 11:19:38 PM »
 :tup

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 11:42:32 PM »
Hell No.

Android. And I use a music player called PowerAmp. it's like 4 bucks but that app alone has been responsible for me not touching my itouch (ancient second gen) in like a year

I use poweramp on my phone aswell. It's a very nice media player. does WAYYYY more than i need any media player to do for me tho haha

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 11:44:10 PM »
In general I'm not a fan of Apple. I will never buy an iPhone and I wouldn't buy an iPad if my life depended on it. I don't really like the company itself all that much either, and don't get me started on the Apple fanatics who are constantly telling me Apple products are better than anything ever without even understanding what the fuck they are talking about half the time...

However, I do like the iPods and really there just isn't much competition for them in the higher capacities anyway. I use a 160GB classic right now, I like having all that space for lossless files. AFAIK there is no other player on the market with a capacity that high. The 120GB Zune would have cost me almost twice as much to buy, too.

I also still have a working 8-year-old 60GB classic which has never failed, and survived the many drops over the years despite being a hard drive player. My positive experience with that was the reason I went with the iPod again this time. I only replaced the 60GB earlier this year was because 60GB wasn't enough for me anymore, and because after 8 years the lithium-ion battery doesn't hold much of a charge.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2013, 12:09:17 AM »
A similar thing happened to me. I had my iPod classic for about  9-10 months and it would stop a song in the middle and skip to the next one. Sometimes it would skip several songs ahead. I tried to restore and re-sync it, but when when syncing it would freeze after 1000 songs. I took it to Apple and they said the hard drive was broken (you could hear it whirring louder than usual when syncing) and they replaced it since it was under warrant. Have you dropped it or moved it quickly (e.g. run with it in your pocket) as that usually is what kills the hard drive?

The headphone thing could be an entirely different issue, or it could also be a result of dropping it (if thats what happened). I dropped my old Itouch and the headphone jack dislodged causing it to not play in the right channel.
The moving it quickly thing seems probable in the first problem.

As for the headphone jack, no I was just sitting on the couch (perfectly still too) and suddenly one channel went out. I lived with that for a while and on a walk home the other suddenly went out.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2013, 09:10:33 AM »
My daughter has a Samsung Galaxy Player, and it's pretty awesome.