Author Topic: The 'Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (album)' Appreciation Thread  (Read 14741 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: The 'Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (album)' Appreciation Thread
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2014, 09:43:36 PM »
I will repeat myself. GTFO. This is an appreciation thread, fool! :getoffmylawn:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2014, 09:45:26 PM »
I appreciate about 60% of the album (disc one and parts of two.) I HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO BE HERE!

To be honest, once and a while I put on disc two and rock the fuck out
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2014, 09:45:51 PM »
Six Degrees is my favorite DT song. :metal

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2014, 09:50:55 PM »
I was just listening to the album again yesterday, and every single time I listen to it, it sounds just as fresh and amazing, and reminds me why no other DT album can touch it.
In particular, just listen to either BF or Misunderstood up until the chorus (preferably on some good headphones). Atmospheric, with such room to breathe, beautiful sounds, every band member adding to the soundscape equally, very little guitar, and just beautiful. I don't think they'd done anything quite like that before, and definitely nothing since.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2014, 09:54:34 PM »
I agree ^
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2014, 04:35:19 AM »
I don't think they'd done anything quite like that before, and definitely nothing since.
Yeah, they definitely experimented more on that album than on any other.  I kind of wish they would return to that kind of headspace, but I doubt it will happen again.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2014, 06:14:44 PM »
Six Degrees is my favorite DT song. :metal
I was just listening to the album again yesterday, and every single time I listen to it, it sounds just as fresh and amazing, and reminds me why no other DT album can touch it.
In particular, just listen to either BF or Misunderstood up until the chorus (preferably on some good headphones). Atmospheric, with such room to breathe, beautiful sounds, every band member adding to the soundscape equally, very little guitar, and just beautiful. I don't think they'd done anything quite like that before, and definitely nothing since.
Brutally agree with both of you guys :metal

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2014, 06:49:26 PM »

That's how I feel about Octavarium :P

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2014, 11:42:40 AM »

I agree with all minus the part that says "no other DT album can touch it".
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2014, 12:35:39 PM »
1. The Glass Prison
2. Blind Faith
3. The Great Debate
4. Disappear
5. SDOIT
6. Misunderstood

Def one of their best work to date. It might replace I&W for the #1 spot for me nowadays.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2014, 12:37:19 PM »
1. The Glass Prison
2. SDOIT
3. Blind Faith
4. The Great Debate
5. Disappear
6. Misunderstood

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: January 20, 2014, 12:38:23 PM »
1. SDOIT
2. The Great Debate
3. Misunderstood
4. Disappear
5. The Glass Prison
6. Blind Faith
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #82 on: January 20, 2014, 12:47:45 PM »
1. Blind Faith
2. The Great Debate
3. The Glass Prison
4. Misunderstood
5. Disappear
6. The title-mess

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #83 on: January 20, 2014, 12:50:35 PM »
Amazing album in pretty much every way...

1. SDOIT
2. Glass Prison
3. Blind Faith
4. The Great Debate
5. Disappear
6. Misunderstood

Offline yeah_93

« Reply #84 on: January 20, 2014, 01:31:38 PM »
I think it's a great album. Definitely not one of the best for me, but it still rocks. To me, each song has several nuisances that prevent them from being excellent (Over repetitive sections in TGP, solo and outro in Misunderstood) but they are otherwise outstanding. I don't care much for disc 2, though.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2014, 01:36:28 PM »
I think it's a great album. Definitely not one of the best for me, but it still rocks. To me, each song has several nuisances that prevent them from being excellent (Over repetitive sections in TGP, solo and outro in Misunderstood) but they are otherwise outstanding. I don't care much for disc 2, though.

I feel like everyone has the same gripe with Misunderstood but I personally LOVE those sections. Definitely some of the most experimental stuff DT has done.

Offline yeah_93

« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2014, 01:41:01 PM »

I feel like everyone has the same gripe with Misunderstood but I personally LOVE those sections. Definitely some of the most experimental stuff DT has done.
Yes, but it's definitely not for everyone though.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2014, 01:47:19 PM »

Yes, but it's definitely not for everyone though.

I'll agree to that. To me it very much fits the theme of the song and feels really heavy. I don't have the words to explain very well, but I like it quite a bit.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2014, 02:13:32 PM »
I think the guitar solo in Misunderstood is one of JP's best. All it took for me to love Misunderstood was remove the outro that kinda drags on. I wouldn't mind if Jordan didn't use the most annoying synth ever.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2014, 10:16:49 PM »

I agree with all minus the part that says "no other DT album can touch it".

As long as you acknowledge that it's an amazing album, we can still be friends. :biggrin:

If we're ranking songs-

1. TGP
1. SDOIT
2. Blind Faith
3. Misunderstood
4. Disappear
5. The Great Debate

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2014, 05:18:37 PM »
1. Misunderstood
2. Disappear
3. SDOIT
4. Blind Faith
5. Glass Prison
6. The Great Debate

I think.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2014, 05:21:42 PM »
SDOIT
Disappear
The Great Debate
The Glass Prison
Misunderstood
Blind Faith

Offline adastra

« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2014, 06:20:51 AM »
1 The Great Debate
2 Misunderstood
3 Disappear
4 The Glass Prison
5 SDOIT  ( I'm not that big fan of this filler  :-\)
6 Blind Faith
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline LTE3

« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2014, 06:07:14 PM »
The second disc has it's moments but it just seems.... bloated at times.

I think that is the first time I've ever used that term on DTF

You're bloated. :rollin Kidding of course, but I will just agree to disagree with every ounce of my bloated self, plus it is an appreciation thread.
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #94 on: January 29, 2014, 08:01:37 AM »
Calling the title track filler...:lol  Hilarious!

1. SDOIT
2. Blind Faith
3. TGP
4. Misunderstood
5. TGD
6. Disappear
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #95 on: January 29, 2014, 08:14:20 AM »
Well, it sounds like you've got it all figured out and already know what I'm thinking. Stellar psychic work, good sir :|

Despite your presumptuous diatribe, I'll indulge you with some reasons:

1. Although it has a mixture of heavy and mellow like the first disc, it's way different in its overall sound since most of the songs don't have extended instrumental sections.

2. It also has a heavy emphasis on the theatrical vibe which makes it feel almost like some kind of movie soundtrack instead of being regular DT music.

3. Disc 2 is 42 minutes. Disc 1 is 54 minutes. This basically means there's almost the same run time for both so it's not like SDoIT (song) is some fleeting anomaly the way Disappear is a short ballad in the midst of disc 1's heavier tracks. Basically, it creates a near 50/50 balance to contrast disc 1 in a similar way to how Opeth's Damnation complements Deliverance.

hmmm....I've never thought of it this way, but now that I see it in writing I think that structurally speaking the comparison to Damnation/Deliverance by Opeth is quite interesting.

As for my opinion on this album I go back and forth between this one and I&W as my favorites.  The only things holding this back from complete perfection are the fake orchestral opening of the second disc and I think the second disc could have done with some trimming as well, but those are pretty minor gripes.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2014, 08:31:46 AM »
As for my opinion on this album I go back and forth between this one and I&W as my favorites.  The only things holding this back from complete perfection are the fake orchestral opening of the second disc and I think the second disc could have done with some trimming as well, but those are pretty minor gripes.

I'm a big Disc 1 guy and I've never been crazy about Disc 2. Although Disc 2 is generally enjoyable, there is really no part where I go.."Holy shit, that was awesome!".
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #97 on: January 29, 2014, 08:40:11 AM »
Calling the title track filler...:lol  Blasphemy!
Fixed.

-SDOIT

- Misunderstood
- The Great Debate
- Disappear

- Blind Faith

- The Glass Prison

Offline adastra

« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2014, 05:33:24 AM »
Funny thing is that how good this album sounds compared to DT12 ! 
I can't understand that they got this good sounding album out over 10 yrs ago, but DT12 came couple of months ago and it sounds like shit.

hmm... Think about SDOIT with DT12 sounds... That would be kinda funny to hear!
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #99 on: February 03, 2014, 06:52:38 AM »
I agree that six degrees is a great album.

I love the production. It's nice and pristine. Everything is clear and yet it's still in yer face in the right places.

They got a nice blend with the song writing between experimenting but keeping hold of that DT sound.

SDOIT tails off somewhat for me after solitary shell. But I forgive that because the whole thing ends so Majestically. It really does. I don't think they ever ended an album so well.

Ahem..........Overture is still a mess though :-|
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline sylvinception

• His name is Tyler Durden.
« Reply #100 on: February 06, 2014, 04:47:17 AM »
One of my top 3!! :metal

Songs ranking:

1 - The Great Debate
2 - SDOIT
3 - Misunderstood
4 - The Glass Prison
5 - Blind Faith
6 - Disappear
OH MY GOD, I'M WATCHED!!!

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2014, 08:10:39 PM »

The only things holding this back from complete perfection are the fake orchestral opening of the second disc

I agree with both of these.  but you know, despite that, SDOIT is still my favorite DT song.  that's how good it is.

But for a long time, that synth orchestra opening turned me off and I didn't give it a chance.  it's funny to think about now in retrospect.  I think even with just changing the synth sounds it would improve the overture a lot.

Bottom line though, it's close to perfection.  when in a thousand years I want to hold up how good turn-of-the-millenium music could be, this is what I would play for someone.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #102 on: February 07, 2014, 09:09:15 PM »

The only things holding this back from complete perfection are the fake orchestral opening of the second disc

I agree with both of these.  but you know, despite that, SDOIT is still my favorite DT song.  that's how good it is.

But for a long time, that synth orchestra opening turned me off and I didn't give it a chance.  it's funny to think about now in retrospect.  I think even with just changing the synth sounds it would improve the overture a lot.

Bottom line though, it's close to perfection.  when in a thousand years I want to hold up how good turn-of-the-millenium music could be, this is what I would play for someone.

I really can't comprehend how anyone can think the Overture of SDOIT is a mess or crappy. It features the themes of the rest of the song and its awesome and I don't get it  :lol

This is battling with SFAM for my favorite album. They're both perfect masterpieces and I love every second of both (yes, even Misunderstood's outro). My rankings for the album:

1. The. Glass. Prison. On a near perfect album, this song still stands WAY out above everyone else. Fucking  :metal :metal

2. Blind Faith
3. The Great Debate
4. Six Degrees
5. Misunderstood
6. Disappear

Offline Saxman

« Reply #103 on: February 07, 2014, 10:39:31 PM »

1. The. Glass. Prison. On a near perfect album, this song still stands WAY out above everyone else. Fucking  :metal :metal

2. Blind Faith
3. The Great Debate
4. Six Degrees
5. Misunderstood
6. Disappear

Pretty much this.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #104 on: February 08, 2014, 04:38:33 AM »
What the hell.

1.  The Glass Prison
2.  Blind Faith
3.  Disappear
4.  Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

5.  Misunderstood

6.  The Great Debate
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.