Author Topic: The 'Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (album)' Appreciation Thread  (Read 14749 times)

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
I was kinda surprised to see that there wasn't an appreciate thread for this album. Granted, I'm biased since it's my favorite DT album, but still. There's a thread for literally each song on the album, so I figured I'd cap it off and make the appreciation thread for the album. :hat

Thoughts from the rest of the lovely folks here at DTF? :biggrin:
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline The Letter M

Re: The 'Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (album)' Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 10:08:14 PM »
My favorite DT album over-all. And no, just because it's their longest, or that it happens to be a double album (which, in the digital age, really has no meaning since songs escape physical medium, the idea of "double album" is only relevant to separate releases, like what Guns & Roses or Green Day have done).

Anyways, back on track - it's got the title epic, a Top 5 DT song for me, and the other 5 songs are just Top 20 songs, all of them, even "Misunderstood". They cover a wide range of material, sounds, feels, and genres on this album.

You've got the heavy metal riff-chugger (and beginning/best part of the Twelve-Step Suite) in "The Glass Prison", the piano-riffic and soaring "Blind Faith", the experimentally challenging "Misunderstood", the politically and morally driven Tool-esque rocker in "The Great Debate", the tear-jerking ballad with "Disappear", and the prog rock symphonic masterpiece with the 8-part title track. It's all here, and in great form.

Honestly, while the last 5 albums have had great songs, as a whole, I'd say nothing has compared to SDOIT since it's release. 8VM sort of came close, and BC&SL was pretty good, but as a whole album....nah. There have been par/sub-par moments or songs on each of the last 5 albums that have brought them down a bit, but SDOIT was as near-perfect as Dream Theater have gotten for me.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 10:14:09 PM »
Disappear always leaves me bored.  Other than that, this is the most consistently amazing set of songs DT has ever put out.  I think we will look back and see it as the zenith of their career (although we can always hold out hope that DT^2 is as definitive as the band thinks it will be!)

My ranking:
SDOIT (disc 2)
Great Debate
Blind Faith
Misunderstood
Glass Prison
Disappear

I know people love Glass Prison, and it's not that it's a bad song, it's great.  It's just that the others are that good.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 10:18:22 PM »
Tied with Awake for my favorite DT album, I love it. I don't think they've even come close to making an album this good since. They're experimenting on every song and there's so much variety. From the massive onslaught of riffs that is The Glass Prison to the majestic Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence this album doesn't take one dip in quality. Truly what progressive metal (and Dream Theater) is all about.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 10:22:47 PM »
Best.  Album.  Ever.

Only one song I don't really like.  And even though the lyrics drag that song down, the music is so outstanding that I don't even mind it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 10:24:07 PM »
Best.  Album.  Ever.

Only one song I don't really like.  And even though the lyrics drag that song down, the music is so outstanding that I don't even mind it.

The Great Debate?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 10:28:04 PM »
How can the best album ever have a song you don't really like? ???

Anyway, great album, yes.  It doesn't touch the Big 3 of I&W, Awake and Scenes, but it is still pretty great. 

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 10:28:24 PM »
Best.  Album.  Ever.

To be honest, until recently I was only a casual DT fan. However since getting more and more into DT and taking a closer look at SDOIT in particular, I might just agree with you on this, bosk. The whole album is just absolutely breathtaking and I've really found myself connecting to the title track. Won't go into specifics on behalf of loved ones and what-not, but I relate to that song so much.

Quite simply, a flat-out masterpiece. :tup

The Great Debate?

Pretty sure it's Blind Faith. :biggrin:
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline j

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 10:36:37 PM »
Good album.  Standout qualities are as follows:

- The first half of The Glass Prison is probably the best metal DT have done or will do (this is coming from a non-metalhead).
- Misunderstood has some of the band's best lyrics and some of their most "experimental" musical ideas.
- Disappear is pretty unique for DT as well and I think one of their most well-executed ballads.
- Blind Faith instrumental break.

Gripes:

- Something about the production sounds a little "flat" to my ears.
- Disc 2 has some issues, including but not limited to being unnecessarily long-winded.
- Similarly, The Glass Prison is drawn out several minutes too long IMO.
- Blind Faith's lyrics aren't very good.
- I'm not a huge fan of The Great Debate.

I'd place the album in the top third of DT's catalog.

-J

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 12:36:27 AM »
Yep, definitely the best DT album imo. :tup :tup

And one of the "big 4". ;)
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=36518.msg1547252#msg1547252

To me it's their peak of songwriting. Their best metal song (TGP), their best "proggy" song (BF), possibly their best emotional ballad (Disappear), and their best epic (SDOIT). And that still leaves two great metal tracks with Misunderstood and TGD.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 12:44:57 AM »
It is a great album, on my ranking it would be #3 (behind I&W and SFAM). Side one range from great to good, but it's the 2nd side - the title track - that places it so high up for me.

My ranking of the songs would look something like this:

1. Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
2. The Great Debate
3. Misunderstood
4. Disappear
5. The Glass Prison
6. Blind Faith
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 02:08:53 AM »
Best DT album and one they are unlikely to ever top. While I've been critical of both TGP and the title epic in the past, I just think that they are a little overrated and that basically the rest of the album is better. They are still both kick-ass songs. Blind Faith and Disappear, especially, are some of my favourite DT songs.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Simon Says

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 02:44:55 AM »
Blind Faith and Glass Prison would be right near the top of my favourite tracks of all time list.  There are a few too many tracks I don't really get into very much for the album itself to be one of my favourites though.  I find "Overture" in particular unlistenable.

Offline mellotron_scratch

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 05:28:43 AM »
One of my favourite DT albums. There's quite a bit of variety, something that I think is missing a little on other albums like Awake or Black Clouds. You've got the metal vibe in TGP, the experimentation and ambience of Misunderstood, the beauty of Disappear, and the symphonic brilliance of the title track. My ranking of the tracks:

1. The Glass Prison
2. 6DOIT
3. Disappear
4. The Great Debate
5. Blind Faith
6. Misunderstood

Overall, a great album.

Offline 425

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 07:14:46 AM »
Probably my second favorite album right behind Images and Words. The Glass Prison and the title track, at minimum, are top ten material, and all the other songs are stellar. What makes this album so great is that it reflects one of my favorite aspects of Dream Theater as a whole: No song is quite like any other song. That is especially true on SDOIT, which is certainly one of DT's most experimental albums.

Ranking:
1. The Glass Prison
2. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
3. Misunderstood
4. Blind Faith
5. Disappear
6. The Great Debate
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline JPX

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 07:47:42 AM »
My favorite DT album  :metal

Glass Prison and Blind Faith are the best back to back songs on any DT album. And dat solo on Goodnight Kiss.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 09:34:22 AM by Podaar »
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2013, 08:04:15 AM »
Amazing album. Sounds fresh every time I listen to it. Flips between 1st and 2nd in my rankings.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 09:45:55 AM by Implode »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2013, 09:33:58 AM »
Fantastic album.  Ranks # 3 for me behind Awake and I&W.  Very experimental on their part.  Even the songs I don't like all that much are interesting.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2013, 09:39:08 AM »
Really good album, but suffers from being too long. If the title suite had been shortened to fit on the first disc, the album would be more solid. That said, disc 1 is great and I love the atmosphere and the experimental approach, which is something I'd like to see DT try again.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2013, 11:21:38 AM »
I didn't like it much at first but after absorbing the material, I began to realize that it really is their best work.  Other albums come relatively close such as I&W, Awake and SFAM, but nothing has come close since the release of this masterpiece.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2013, 11:57:40 AM »
Really good album, but suffers from being too long. If the title suite had been shortened to fit on the first disc, the album would be more solid. That said, disc 1 is great and I love the atmosphere and the experimental approach, which is something I'd like to see DT try again.

Agreed, all-around.  When an album is that long, it has to be great from start to finish for me to call it all-time great, and several lags prevent me from doing that (although it is still pretty damn good). 

Misunderstood is still a top 20 DT song, though, and The Glass Prison and Blind Faith are not far behind. :tup :tup

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2013, 12:13:43 PM »
Misunderstood is still a top 20 DT song, though, and The Glass Prison and Blind Faith are not far behind. :tup :tup

All three of those songs are incredible. Blind Faith could be my favorite ever...I'd do near anything to hear them play TGP with Mangini.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2013, 12:24:28 PM »
My only complaint is the ending of Misunderstood.  That is what suffers from being too long, not the album as a whole.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2013, 12:26:39 PM »
My only complaint is the ending of Misunderstood.  That is what suffers from being too long, not the album as a whole.

I disagree. I think the end of Misunderstood is positively awesome.  When the riff comes back in alongside that creepy keyboard melody and with the heavy breathing in the background...that is one of the best moments on the entire album.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2013, 12:28:47 PM »
Breathtaking in scope, and solid in execution. I feel this was DT nailing it on all cylinders.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2013, 12:56:52 PM »

I disagree. I think the end of Misunderstood is positively awesome.  When the riff comes back in alongside that creepy keyboard melody and with the heavy breathing in the background...that is one of the best moments on the entire album.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2013, 01:15:23 PM »

I have mixed feelings about it.  On one hand, I completely agree with you, Kev.  But on the other hand, in terms of pure listenability, while I still appreciate the awesomeness, I often just feel done with the song by that point and am ready to move on instead of having to listen to that extended outro.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline emtee

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2013, 01:51:50 PM »
Masterpiece. The only thing I don't like is the end to Misunderstood. I skip it and move on but it's still a 10/10 album and
up there with my favorite DT works. It was on the top of my rotation for about 16 months.

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2013, 02:04:40 PM »
OMG the lyrics to Blind Faith are fantastic

Offline philmcson

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2013, 03:06:41 PM »
Yeah, it's a great album.  :biggrin:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2013, 03:07:29 PM »

Other than this part, I agree with everything in your post.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2013, 03:59:19 PM »

Other than this part, I agree with everything in your post.
Droll, bosky.  Very droll.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2013, 04:00:23 PM »
That's how I [d]roll.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2013, 04:09:13 PM »
:clap: