Author Topic: Jazz approach to a Steve Vai tune  (Read 1174 times)

Offline YngVai

Jazz approach to a Steve Vai tune
« on: June 09, 2013, 04:57:56 PM »
So I had to put together a couple of tunes together for a jazz recital at school last semester, and I decided to transcribe K'm-Pee-Du-Wee by Steve Vai.  What do you guys think? 

https://kyledowns.bandcamp.com/track/km-pee-du-wee

Here's the part where I make excuses for sloppiness.  We'd only had one short rehearsal the day before the recital, and the three of us had never played together as a group.  Also, the bassist forgot the chart I wrote out for him, so we had to use our ears and intuition to agree on where the changes were at some points haha.  Hope you guys enjoy it. 

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
Re: Jazz approach to a Steve Vai tune
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 05:08:30 PM »
I like this a lot!  Would love to have heard your charts played by the bassist, tho.  He didn't sound quite as confident and "there" as I imagine he would have.

Beautiful arrangement, though..   :tup
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline YngVai

Re: Jazz approach to a Steve Vai tune
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 11:12:27 AM »
Glad you liked it!  It wasn't so much of an arrangement as much as it was "I'll play the melody, we'll try and keep it together while improvising on these chords we barely know, and then at some point I'll play the melody again."  :lol