Poll

How do you pronounce the "theater" in "Dream Theater"?

Thee-terr
19 (13.2%)
Thee-derr
21 (14.6%)
Thee-uh-terr
69 (47.9%)
Thee-uh-derr
29 (20.1%)
Thay-uh-terr (for rob)
6 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Author Topic: How do you pronounce the "theater" in "Dream Theater"?  (Read 4630 times)

Offline darkshade

Re: How do you pronounce the "theater" in "Dream Theater"?
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2013, 10:30:00 PM »
In the US, cinema is usually used to describe the film industry, whereas theater is both used to describe the movie theater, or a theater for plays.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2013, 11:09:12 PM »
Quick Q for the Americans on the board.

When do you say cinema and when do say Theater ? How do you differentiate ?

In the UK - Cinema is the cinema and Theater is where you see a play but in the US - Theater can be either apparently.

I just say I'm going to see a talkie. Then everybody knows what I mean, and they're jealous too.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2013, 01:31:41 AM »
When I try to pronounce it as I think I should, which I usually do, it's "thee-uh-terr". When the Israeli accent takes over me, I say "thee-ter".

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2013, 12:46:52 PM »
I think cinema is only for movies, isn't it? I actually don't know for sure..
I was making a joke, but yes cinemas are for movies.

And btw, the theater that DT is named after showed movies as far as I know... hence the joke.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 12:52:17 PM by slycordinator »

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2013, 03:10:37 PM »
For me, boring old Thee-ah-ter. The right way in other words.

And I go to the pictures to see a film. Weird isn't it?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2013, 03:37:16 PM »
In French, cinéma refers to the place you go to watch movies, and théâtre refers to the place you see plays.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2013, 12:41:01 AM »
I guess the correct pronunciation is Thee-uh-derr or Thee-uh-terr, but I'm used to pronouncing it Thee-derr, most likely because English is not my first language (Spanish is) and whenever I'm talking about DT (in Spanish, of course, I rarely speak in English) it is much easier to say Thee-derr.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2013, 02:29:28 AM »

In the UK - Cinema is the cinema and Theater is where you see a play but in the US - Theater can be either apparently.

I just say I'm going to see a talkie. Then everybody knows what I mean, and they're jealous too.

:lol
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2013, 06:32:14 AM »
If I had to choose between those in the poll, I guess Thee-uh-derr is the closest. What it actually sounds like to me is Thee-aæ-r(e)r. The a is based on the typical European pronunciation of the letter and the æ is Norwegian. The first r is a Norwegian/Spanish/whatever r without the rolling, and the last one is the potato sounding American one. The e isn't really there.
That sounded complex. Well, I guess it had to be since English is a "non phonetic" language. For the record, what I described is what I'd say is the American way of pronouncing it.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 06:41:27 AM by Dellers »
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2013, 03:40:01 PM »
I love how this thread turned into a comparison of theater vs. cinema. :lol

:rollin

Offline borzo

« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2013, 09:40:00 AM »
I go with thee-uh-terr

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2013, 05:15:41 PM »
I'm shocked at the results.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2013, 07:58:01 PM »
The way I pronounce it is not really thee-der, more like theer-der, as in the first syllable rhymes with fear. But that's because the Australian accent doesn't actually pronounce R's at all. We're a very lazy accent. It doesn't really work with the US accent! :lol
So I guess thee-uh-der is the closest equivalent? That is basically how we pronounce the R sound. Basically as "ah".

That reminds me of being on vacation in Cairns. From where I come from in the U.S. we pronounce that word like a Scot would but with a lazy "r" by not rolling it. For the first few days I just went along with the locals (or so I thought) and called the town Cans because that's what my U.S. ears heard. I got polite but sideways looks from the Queenslanders I met. After that, I began to hear the implied "r" and realized the elongated "a" was nearly stretched into a "y" at the end and that was the place holder for the "r". It was very enlightening and I had a much easier time understanding our Aussie hosts from then on. Until, I'd drank too much beer, of course.

As to the OP, I do pronounce it Thee-uh-terr but it's a little more smashed together. Definitely 3 syllables but they are in rapid succession.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens