10 (7.4%)
SC
1 (0.7%)
BC&SL
0 (0%)
ADTOE
12 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 129

Author Topic: If a previous DT album was self-titled, which one would it be?  (Read 3714 times)

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

Re: If a previous DT album was self-titled, which one would it be?
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2013, 12:23:45 AM »
A lot of them, actually, feel like possibilities. You've got the first album, the first album with James (and first on a major label)...then, okay, Awake, FII, and SFAM wouldn't have made much sense, but SDOIT could've, with it being DT's longest work and the first with a "clean slate" for Jordan after the big breakthrough of SFAM. ToT's break from character makes it a bad fit for self-titling, but Octavarium was a "return to roots," so that qualifies too. And then there was Portnoy's whole hyping of BC&SL as this ultimate DT album with Metropolis, 8V, ACOS etc. all rolled into one album. And of course then there was the split and Mangini's entry with these past two.

So the only ones that seem like there's zero justification for self-titling are Awake, FII, SFAM, ToT, and SC. The others, you can kind of see it. But of course WDADU is the most obvious, being the first.

SFAM would have made a lot of sense as a self titled, had it not needed to be made clear it was Metropolis pt 2, which is probably what you meant anyway!

Indeed it is.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2013, 03:49:39 AM »
I would say Octavarium also.

It just seems to be everything that Dream Theater is about, incarnate.

It has a proggy concept. It has a massive epic track which is their best track ( imo ).

It wears it's influences on it's sleeve. It has a mixed grill of everything DT do.

Short, long, fast, slow, heavy, light. Etc. Etc. Plus for my money has the best production on a DT album besides FII.

It also has, song for song, the worst songwriting of the band's career.  If that is indicative of the band, then God help us.

In Your opinion... I think there are much weaker songs on SC & BC&SL
I do too, but not virtually an entire album's worth, like there is on 8VM.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2013, 03:54:12 AM »
An entire album? Only 3/8 of the songs on Octavarium could be called remotely weak imo (and they are indeed very weak), which means 5/8 are good. Nugget!
That's not a great percentage either way, but it's far from an entire album's worth.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2013, 03:59:50 AM »
1 - The Root of All Evil - Pretty good, but ultimately nothing special
2 - The Answer Lies Within - Dreck, absolutely awful
3 - These Walls - Pretty good, criminally underrated
4 - I Walk Beside You - I like it, but nothing special
5 - Panic Attack - No thanks
6 - Never Enough - No thanks
7 - Sacrificed Sons - OK, but nothing special
8 - Octavarium - Fantastic, one of their best

This album, even though it features one of their best songs, ranks at or near the bottom of their catalog for me.  Large parts of it feature songs that could have been done by anyone, not necessarily DT.

MY OPINION.  If it's your favorite album ever, great, more power to you.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2013, 04:05:09 AM »
Eh, it's far from my favourite either, I was just disagreeing with what I assume was slight hyperbole on your part.

I think TROAE, TW, PA, SS, and 8V are all great songs, but the rest are skippable at best, and perfectly placed to ruin the flow of the album entirely. I rank the aforementioned good songs very highly, but as an album I can't due to the rest.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2013, 04:08:04 AM »
I can *easily* listen to the whole album in one sitting.

I can't listen to many other DT albums without getting fatigue or skipping a song.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2013, 04:26:34 AM »
I can *easily* listen to the whole album in one sitting.

I can't listen to many other DT albums without getting fatigue or skipping a song.
Yeah, because the other albums are more Dream Theatery, with lots of prog fireworks, intricate instrumental passages, multiple movements, and the like.  This album, with a few exceptions, just has more straightforward songs without a lot of hijinks going on.  Less variety and movement within the songs.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2013, 05:52:03 AM »
WDADU, because I don't like bands naming albums after themselves, if it isn't their debut.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2013, 09:24:56 AM »
I would say Octavarium also.

It just seems to be everything that Dream Theater is about, incarnate.

It has a proggy concept. It has a massive epic track which is their best track ( imo ).

It wears it's influences on it's sleeve. It has a mixed grill of everything DT do.

Short, long, fast, slow, heavy, light. Etc. Etc. Plus for my money has the best production on a DT album besides FII.

It also has, song for song, the worst songwriting of the band's career.  If that is indicative of the band, then God help us.

In Your opinion... I think there are much weaker songs on SC & BC&SL

I think the weakest songs on SC are worst than the weakest songs on Octavarium, but nothing on the former touches the latter's title track.  Still their two least best albums, though, IMO.

Black Clouds is much better than either, even though the majority of the songs have something I wish would have changed or was better (ANTR - the "day after day" section, A Rite of Passage - the key solo, the lyrics in both TBOT and The Count). 

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2013, 10:07:11 AM »
I actually went with 6 Degrees.  It's not my favourite or anything, but I do think it's probably the most cohesive and covers the broadest array of sounds that would make me think that it could fit a self titled album.

This, except for the fact that 6DoIT is my favorite. :biggrin:

For the longest time, I never liked self-titled releases if it isn't a band's debut album. I thought of it as being incredibly lazy. However after recognizing the mentality of making an album a self-titled release on the grounds that the album is the best representative of that band's sound and what they're all about, I am a bit more open to s/t albums. As far as Dream Theater goes, the one album that I think best represents who they are as a band would be 6 Degrees.

Hope the new album justifies the name 'Dream Theater'. :biggrin: :metal :tup
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline mocool13

« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2013, 12:45:11 PM »
I&W or WDADU

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2013, 05:04:10 AM »
I guess the obvious choice is WDADU, but Images & Words also seems like it could have been s/t

Offline PwnsomeWin

« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2013, 08:36:13 AM »
I think FII. I guess because it was a mainstream attempt.