Author Topic: Do you still branch out musically?  (Read 2379 times)

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
Re: Do you still branch out musically?
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2013, 01:35:09 PM »
Funny thing is, to me, that in the couple of years I've been posting here I actually branched out more musically than the previous five.  :lol Sure, there's going to be a few unreasonably popular artists on any public forum, but that doesn't mean you can't find new things to listen to here.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2013, 01:40:02 PM »
Thanks to this place, I am  :)
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2013, 02:15:23 PM »
I went through a phase in the middle 00s where I branched out like crazy, and got into a bunch of bands I would have never listened to before that, but I admittedly have settled back into a comfort zone.  And I am okay with that.  I don't have nearly enough time to listen to all of the music I love now, and as I get older, going with the old reliables gets more and more enjoyable.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2013, 02:22:13 PM »
I actually just recently started enjoying the occasional dubstep song. E.g. Skrillex' "Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites" and Deadmau5 "Animal Rights".

You sir need some chillstep in your life:

Blackmill - Let It Be - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDI6HTR9arA

or Seven Lions (awesome dubstep) - Isis - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIo14jKF9uI

I've been branching a lot recently but most of it is in the EDM territory. There is so much music and sub-genres to discover there.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2013, 09:40:57 PM »
I'm constantly branching out and finding all kinds of new stuff.  But I think what happens isn't so much that the individual users here are limited in their musical scope... I think it's just more that people come here to talk about a specific type of music.  I know in the past I've started a few threads about bands outside of the general DTF scope of interest and they usually just kind of die off quickly, so I just kind of stopped bringing up those bands around here.  I think the last.fm thread is pretty good evidence of that too.  I look at those lists once in a while and I always see people listening to bands that are virtually never mentioned on DTF, so I think people are still listening to that music... they just aren't really bringing it here.
Yeah, I definitely don't post about a lot of the music I listen to because I figure no one would really be interested.

That's about right. Last time I brought up....say... Tempest I think there was one other person who knew what I was talking about. It's cool though...

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2013, 10:40:16 PM »
I currently am branching out still.. There's soooo much music that I'm just starting to appreciate now. Also I'm on a Viking Metal kick so fuck yes at just finding out about Amon Amarth and Ensiferum.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2013, 01:14:57 AM »
A bit! Possibly more than usual, actually - I've not got much money, so I've tended, predominantly, to absorb stuff that's outside progressive rock. I'll magpie my way through life - hear a cool bit of music on the telly, or at a party, or as an intro tape, and I'm becoming a little more mainstream if anything. This is my latest squeeze - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3yAx2uCoHs - apparently it was in Breaking Bad, but I'm not cool enough to watch that, so I heard it on Dynamo: Magician Impossible. And instantly googled it.

I think the core of the most popular bands remains the same because the thing that unites everyone here is that we're all fans of Dream Theater, or once were. That makes other biggish prog bands like Rush and Devin Townsend and Porcupine Tree a common ground that more of us share, and therefore the conversations can be bigger, stretch on longer. Just like a Doctor Who board would probably have a fairly active Torchwood thread, and a Merlin thread, and a Sherlock thread. Doesn't mean they're all anyone watches or listens to, just that they're the only things every-one watches.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2013, 03:37:12 AM »
when your girlfriend hates prog and loves soul and r&b, yeah, you kind of have to.

What's wrong with that? I love a lot of the bands she's turned me on to, and as a result ended up doing some branching out of my own. I'm sure she'd never listen to Manfred Mann's Earth Band and I know she doesn't like The Band, but her turning me on to oldies helped put me in that direction.

Anyway, I came here to add that thanks to my brother, although it's still firmly in the realm of rock, in recent years I've moved from more metal-y, proggy, hardcore stuff (aforementioned Disturbed, Glass Hammer, etc.) to stuff that's more theatrical like Queen, Foxy Shazam, the Darkness, etc.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2013, 03:46:52 AM »
@rob: why did you link modern times Hotel California? :D
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline philmcson

« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2013, 03:00:01 PM »
I do branch out, I listen to lots of bands and recommended artists but it's getting harder to please me musically, so back in the days when I was listening to 20 bands it was surely easier for a band to get me curious about their opus than now when I continuosly listen to 50 bands and periodically to some 300 others.
I try a new band but in 85% I don't listen to more than one album because it just wasn't good enough to keep me eager....

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2013, 03:05:57 PM »
You folks should have hear my playlist while mowing the lawn today.  Very varied.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2013, 03:17:03 PM »
I actually just recently started enjoying the occasional dubstep song. E.g. Skrillex' "Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites" and Deadmau5 "Animal Rights".

You sir need some chillstep in your life:

Blackmill - Let It Be - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDI6HTR9arA

or Seven Lions (awesome dubstep) - Isis - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIo14jKF9uI

I've been branching a lot recently but most of it is in the EDM territory. There is so much music and sub-genres to discover there.

I'm loving those two recommendations. Thanks!