Author Topic: Unheard of types of instruments  (Read 1719 times)

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
Unheard of types of instruments
« on: June 05, 2013, 10:36:56 AM »
I was reading Infinite Cactus's Top 50 DT thread and he mentioned that JM used an 8-string bass on Blind Faith for part of it, which is basically a 4-string with octaves added with each string, like a 12-string guitar. This got me thinking about new types of guitars.

Is there such a thing as an acoustic 7-string guitar? Or, is there a 14-string guitar, equivalent to a standard 7-string? If they haven't been invented yet, I'm sure they could be. The acoustic 7-string could be brought into folk music and add a whole other level of depth to the sound. (there's a lot of folk/country artists that pop through my town so I've always had that side of music to me.)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Unheard of types of instruments
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 11:01:30 AM »
I'm not sure if the unamplified sound of an acoustic guitar tuned down to B would sound that nice, unless you use an alternate tuning. The acoustic isn't really a soloing instrument though, so range isn't as important. Easy enough to just tune down if the need arises, and I know drop D is already pretty popular on acoustic (and other open tunings with the low D).
I would be surprised if it hasn't at least been tried before though. It could work.

And I think a 14 string guitar would just be really tough to play with that many strings crammed into that narrow space. Plus I'm not sure octaves would sound pleasant that low. I don't generally associate the 12 string guitar sound with the 7 string guitar sound, so it seems like a really odd/niche combo to me.

Maybe they could make a 1 string djent guitar? :P
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 11:45:55 AM »
Maybe they could make a 1 string djent guitar? :P

There's actually a Finnish doom metal band called KYPCK whose bassist plays a 1-string bass :lol

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 06:10:56 AM »
I could see a seven string acoustic being a good idea, not so much for the extended range but for the different chord voicings that can be used by adding the seventh string.  I remember hearing about some jazz guitarists who used 7 strings.

I've seen some crazy basses.  John Turner, a guy who posted on DT.net for a while (who now mods at Talkbass), has a doubleneck bass with a fretless neck and a fretted neck.

In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 02:49:38 AM »
Carl, do you remember if it was John that built the one who build the eight-string bass (all on one neck) where half was fretless and the other half wasn't?

It's been ages since I last went on that forum, but the build threads were so damn cool.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Manolito Mystiq

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 04:05:50 AM »

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 07:56:49 PM »
Carl, do you remember if it was John that built the one who build the eight-string bass (all on one neck) where half was fretless and the other half wasn't?

It's been ages since I last went on that forum, but the build threads were so damn cool.

I don't know if that was him.  I know he has a few Conklin 8 strings but only recently frequenting TB.com.  I haven't checked out his collection since he left dt.net.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.