Author Topic: Does anybody else...  (Read 11100 times)

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
Re: Does anybody else...
« Reply #105 on: May 21, 2013, 12:39:18 AM »
You guys complaining about the 'loud' have obviously never seen Motorhead.. THAT band is fuckin loud. 
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #106 on: May 21, 2013, 01:44:39 AM »
I'm on the top as long as the music's loud.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Meatrose

• Built for heavy lifting
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Let me show you my new means of transportation...
« Reply #107 on: May 21, 2013, 01:46:58 AM »
I miss Portnoy, of course I do, but that doesn't mean that I don't think that the band is ultimately better off with Mangini. Old Mike was usually the center of attention, both on and off the stage. New Mike is still a fun guy but from what we've seen so far he's more... mature, and I think that suits the other members.

This is a tough question really, Portnoy did so much for this band but a lot of us would argue that he was the main reason the band took more than just a couple of steps in a direction that a lot of us would consider to be "wrong" in terms of what kind of music they put out. I love his drumming and I'd still say that he's one of my favorite drummers of all time. To me it's more than just clear that Mangini is much more technically advanced and that he's more "skilled" but that doesn't mean that everyone has to like his drumming. In my honest opinion I was expecting more from him on ADToE. Note that I'm not saying that I think that he did something wrong there or that his drumming wasn't rock solid, cause it really was. What I'm saying is that I think that he was far too anonymous, both in the mix and in terms of what he was actually playing. This could of course be due to him being new and DT writing the album without a drummer present. I'm really hoping that we'll truly get to experience "Mangini unleashed" on DT12, after all the countless hours I've spent watching his clinics and various sessions on the internet I truly feel that there's probably next to nothing that this man can't do on the drums.

If we look beyond the drumming it's only natural to feel as if Portnoy left a big hole in the band when he left. After all, he was more than just "Dream Theater's drummer". Call me crazy but I almost (but just almost) look forward to seeing the behind the scenes material on LALP as much as I'm looking forward to experiencing the actual concert. In my opinion we have yet to see what Mangini truly brings to the table from a social point of view, how his presence affects the group dynamic. And don't even get me started on the possible and hinted at "behind the writing process" kind of thing that Over the Edge seems to have done with them in the studio while creating DT12, I've had a craving for one of those for years now.

Anyhow, yes, I was really sad when Portnoy left and I truly miss him. Yes, I do still think that the band is quite possibly better off with Mangini anyhow and yes, I do enjoy all the other records that Portnoy put out with other musicians nowadays, especially those with the brilliant and multi-talented Neal Morse. They'll be doing the second Flying Colors album as well as the fourth Transatlantic album this year. Sometimes I do feel that Portnoy is becoming something like "Neal Morse's semi-permanent side-kick" though and I wouldn't mind if they formed something more permanent together, a band that they'd be able to call their "home" while still having the possibility to do fun and exciting side-projects such as the occasional Transatlantic album.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #108 on: May 21, 2013, 02:01:17 AM »
I miss Portnoy, of course I do, but that doesn't mean that I don't think that the band is ultimately better off with Mangini. Old Mike was usually the center of attention, both on and off the stage. New Mike is still a fun guy but from what we've seen so far he's more... mature, and I think that suits the other members.

This is a tough question really, Portnoy did so much for this band but a lot of us would argue that he was the main reason the band took more than just a couple of steps in a direction that a lot of us would consider to be "wrong" in terms of what kind of music they put out. I love his drumming and I'd still say that he's one of my favorite drummers of all time. To me it's more than just clear that Mangini is much more technically advanced and that he's more "skilled" but that doesn't mean that everyone has to like his drumming. In my honest opinion I was expecting more from him on ADToE. Note that I'm not saying that I think that he did something wrong there or that his drumming wasn't rock solid, cause it really was. What I'm saying is that I think that he was far too anonymous, both in the mix and in terms of what he was actually playing. This could of course be due to him being new and DT writing the album without a drummer present. I'm really hoping that we'll truly get to experience "Mangini unleashed" on DT12, after all the countless hours I've spent watching his clinics and various sessions on the internet I truly feel that there's probably next to nothing that this man can't do on the drums.

If we look beyond the drumming it's only natural to feel as if Portnoy left a big hole in the band when he left. After all, he was more than just "Dream Theater's drummer". Call me crazy but I almost (but just almost) look forward to seeing the behind the scenes material on LALP as much as I'm looking forward to experiencing the actual concert. In my opinion we have yet to see what Mangini truly brings to the table from a social point of view, how his presence affects the group dynamic. And don't even get me started on the possible and hinted at "behind the writing process" kind of thing that Over the Edge seems to have done with them in the studio while creating DT12, I've had a craving for one of those for years now.

Anyhow, yes, I was really sad when Portnoy left and I truly miss him. Yes, I do still think that the band is quite possibly better off with Mangini anyhow and yes, I do enjoy all the other records that Portnoy put out with other musicians nowadays, especially those with the brilliant and multi-talented Neal Morse. They'll be doing the second Flying Colors album as well as the fourth Transatlantic album this year. Sometimes I do feel that Portnoy is becoming something like "Neal Morse's semi-permanent side-kick" though and I wouldn't mind if they formed something more permanent together, a band that they'd be able to call their "home" while still having the possibility to do fun and exciting side-projects such as the occasional Transatlantic album.

Offline Meatrose

• Built for heavy lifting
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Let me show you my new means of transportation...
« Reply #109 on: May 21, 2013, 02:05:55 AM »

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #110 on: May 21, 2013, 03:46:22 AM »
You guys complaining about the 'loud' have obviously never seen Motorhead.. THAT band is fuckin loud.

Or Slayer.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #111 on: May 24, 2013, 11:45:27 AM »
Apparently I can't have an opinion on this because it's negative, but here goes anyway.

I absolutely HATE all the side projects that Mike has done. Each one is worse than the next to me.

I think there a few reasons as to why - but the above highlights one main one. First and foremost before all the other stuff he does, Mike Portnoy is a drummer, and he hasn't contributed ANYTHING to the drumming world in quite some time. All of these projects are complete indulgence on his part and the drumming is completely secondary.
Then indulgence is really the segue into the other main reason - I think he likes the IDEA of these project waymore than the music they turn out. He likes the people he is working with and tries to build something around them. I guess he just figures the music will work itself out.

Nah, unpopular or controversial opinions aren't necessarily negative.  It all depends on how it's delivered, but then again some people still can't handle it.  I agree with everything you said.  The Adrenaline Mob project was a major disappointment for me.  I figured between MP and RA, they would put together a killer group with some tasty material and it ended up sounding mediocre and dated.  The 2nd album was all covers, come on.  Talk about throwing something together just to make a quick buck.  After all that's happened in the last 2 1/2 years, I really don't miss MP much anymore.  However, I do hope he can get together with whoever and finally produce some decent material.  Would love to hear it.  Maybe he's doing something right now that I don't know about.  Haven't been paying much attention lately.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: May 24, 2013, 02:15:23 PM »

Seriously don't know how Lemmy & co aren't stone deaf yet

Or at least have debilitating screaming tinnitus in their ears.

That would end me if that ever happened. I always wear ear plugs because I don't want a constant note in my ears FOREVER.

I'm really claustrophobic and knowing that it's something that would never go away is really terrifying.

• EB
« Reply #113 on: May 24, 2013, 04:05:10 PM »

Seriously don't know how Lemmy & co aren't stone deaf yet

Or at least have debilitating screaming tinnitus in their ears.

That would end me if that ever happened. I always wear ear plugs because I don't want a constant note in my ears FOREVER.

I'm really claustrophobic and knowing that it's something that would never go away is really terrifying.
Last time I saw them, I thought the speakers in my car were broken on the way home from the show cause I had the volume all the way up and I could barely hear the music. The next morning when I got in the car to go to work, I had forgotten I left it up all the way... needless to say, they weren't actually broken and it was fuckin loud as hell. Woke up the neighbors. hahaha. :metal
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: May 24, 2013, 04:17:32 PM »
I hate this notion that wearing ear plugs is "pussy".

When something is hazardous to your health - there really is no room for machismo.

Not only that - If you wear the little christmas tree shaped ones - they actually *improve* the gig because it filters out all the shit and lets you hear everything at a reduced volume. Plus If you wear them long enough - you forget you have them in and acclimatise to the sound.

For example - I wear ear plugs when I play drums at Jam Night and I can actually hear the drums BETTER with them in.

• EB
« Reply #115 on: May 24, 2013, 05:27:25 PM »

When something is hazardous to your health - there really is no room for machismo.

Not only that - If you wear the little christmas tree shaped ones - they actually *improve* the gig because it filters out all the shit and lets you hear everything at a reduced volume. Plus If you wear them long enough - you forget you have them in and acclimatise to the sound.

For example - I wear ear plugs when I play drums at Jam Night and I can actually hear the drums BETTER with them in.
I wasn't implying that wearing earplugs was 'pussy'.. I'm not sure how you got that from my post. Sorry.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: May 24, 2013, 05:53:53 PM »
My bad. Nothing to do with your post. Just my feelings on the matter at hand. :)  :heart

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #117 on: May 24, 2013, 06:00:21 PM »

Wearing earplugs while practicing is definitely smart and unless you have a top notch practice room you are just going to lose a lot of the sound in the amount of vibration bouncing around to hear yourself over the fucking drums.

I can't understand doing that at a concert though.  If you say it improves it for you then I guess thats cool.  I'd be willing to try it but there is not way I'm going to do any experimenting if I'm seeing DT...so I will just continue to listen to it without earplugs.  Then again, the Chicago shows are always too quiet.  Milwaukee gets loud though. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #118 on: May 25, 2013, 02:58:12 AM »
It depends on the gig. Some gigs are very quiet even without earplugs, so I wouldn't wear them then. But some, especially in small venues, are INTENSELY loud, and the sound distorts and hurts the ears. As Kotow says, if you wear the good ones, you don't really lose the frequency profile of the sound, except maybe a slight reduction in the high end, but it can still sound great once you get used to it.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #119 on: May 25, 2013, 03:06:17 AM »
It depends on the gig. Some gigs are very quiet even without earplugs, so I wouldn't wear them then. But some, especially in small venues, are INTENSELY loud, and the sound distorts and hurts the ears. As Kotow says, if you wear the good ones, you don't really lose the frequency profile of the sound, except maybe a slight reduction in the high end, but it can still sound great once you get used to it.

If the gig is loud enough to need earplugs, the loss in sound quality due to the earplugs in much more desirable than the loss in sound quality due to just being too damn loud anyway. And no gig is worth losing your hearing over.
One benefit of having long hair is that nobody can see when I'm using earplugs either.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: May 25, 2013, 04:50:31 AM »
 :rollin  which brings me back to my original point about looking after yourself physically should always take precedence over

" being macho ".

I have some friends in a band called "Polar." and they practice at the rehearsal studio where I help out occasionally and they rehearse at gig volume in a tiny room and don't use earplugs.

I'm sure they'll all be deaf by the time they're 40 or will no longer be able to function due to eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Bob Mould from Hüsker Dü says his is so loud that he has to sleep with the tv on just to drown it out  :-\ :-\

Can't imagine how awful that is. And just not being able to get away from the noise. Ever.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #121 on: May 25, 2013, 06:17:18 AM »
When it comes to hearing loss, Paul Gilbert is my favorite guy on the subject:
https://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2012/Mar/Shred_Your_Enthusiasm_For_Those_About_to_Rock.aspx

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #122 on: May 25, 2013, 06:22:24 AM »
I've used earplugs at every gig I've seen (haven't seen DT yet) - the music is always so loud (or maybe ears are fragile?) that I have no other choice. The sound has always been good, though.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: May 25, 2013, 10:23:51 AM »
I've never really been into listening to music really loud. It just doesn't do it for me. It feels more like an intrusion.

I got my tinnitus from practicing in a lively room with my first band with no plugs.

I got home from rehearsal one night and wondered why I could hear the wind in the trees even though my window was shut.

Then I realised it was in my ears and it wasn't going to stop.

Took me a long time to get used to it as well. I had to force myself to think of other things when I was trying to sleep.

• EB
« Reply #124 on: May 29, 2013, 12:36:03 AM »
My bad. Nothing to do with your post. Just my feelings on the matter at hand. :)  :heart
Oh I see!  :heart

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #125 on: May 29, 2013, 04:11:33 AM »
This may well have been posted elsewhere, but I can't find it. A couple of interesting tweets from MP's latest Q&A:

“@JL_Izaguirre: @MikePortnoy Do you keep contact with JP or JR?” HAD A GREAT CHAT W JR WHEN HE TEXTED ME FOR MY BIRTHDAY A FEW WEEKS AGO about 4 hours ago

“@whiskycycle: @MikePortnoy would you play 12 Step Suite live if ever possible?” ABSOLUTELY!! I HOPE/PLAN TO....about 4 hours ago

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #126 on: May 29, 2013, 01:40:33 PM »
Pretty cool to hear. :tup

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #127 on: May 29, 2013, 02:33:10 PM »
Great stuff.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline JPX

« Reply #128 on: May 30, 2013, 05:04:32 PM »
Apparently I can't have an opinion on this because it's negative, but here goes anyway.

I absolutely HATE all the side projects that Mike has done. Each one is worse than the next to me.

I think there a few reasons as to why - but the above highlights one main one. First and foremost before all the other stuff he does, Mike Portnoy is a drummer, and he hasn't contributed ANYTHING to the drumming world in quite some time. All of these projects are complete indulgence on his part and the drumming is completely secondary.
Then indulgence is really the segue into the other main reason - I think he likes the IDEA of these project waymore than the music they turn out. He likes the people he is working with and tries to build something around them. I guess he just figures the music will work itself out.

Nah, unpopular or controversial opinions aren't necessarily negative.  It all depends on how it's delivered, but then again some people still can't handle it.  I agree with everything you said.  The Adrenaline Mob project was a major disappointment for me.  I figured between MP and RA, they would put together a killer group with some tasty material and it ended up sounding mediocre and dated.  The 2nd album was all covers, come on.  Talk about throwing something together just to make a quick buck.  After all that's happened in the last 2 1/2 years, I really don't miss MP much anymore.  However, I do hope he can get together with whoever and finally produce some decent material.  Would love to hear it.  Maybe he's doing something right now that I don't know about.  Haven't been paying much attention lately.

Totally dude, when I heard that MP and RA were going to work together i thought ZOMG this will be insane...but then ...well, we all know what the results were. And yeah, maybe they should have focused on recording some good original music before releasing a covers album - just more indulgence from Mike.

I too hope that he can form a proper band that reignites his talents, but at this point it really seems like he could care less about being a relevant drummer again.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #129 on: May 31, 2013, 05:49:35 PM »
COULDN'T care less...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: May 31, 2013, 08:59:08 PM »
COULDN'T care less...

MY sentiments exactly !

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #131 on: June 01, 2013, 09:48:18 PM »
 ;)

Offline Captain Reddot

« Reply #132 on: June 03, 2013, 02:21:51 AM »
Maybe he's doing something right now that I don't know about.  Haven't been paying much attention lately.

I got my tickets to see The Winery Dogs the other day, I think they're fantastic. They play in a sorta classic/hard rock style with a bit of prog thrown in. They're all great musicians. Sheehan on bass, Kotzen on guitar and vocals. Kotzen's vocals are awesome, and there's some really Beetle-esc harmonies going on. Personally, I'm really excited about this project of his, he seems to be producing some quality music here.
“I think it's really tragic when people get serious about stuff. It's such an absurdity to take anything really seriously ... I make an honest attempt not to take anything seriously: I worked that attitude out about the time I was eighteen, I mean, what does it all mean when you get right down to it, what's the story here? Being alive is so weird.”
― Frank Zappa

Offline JPX

« Reply #133 on: June 03, 2013, 02:31:49 PM »
Maybe he's doing something right now that I don't know about.  Haven't been paying much attention lately.

I got my tickets to see The Winery Dogs the other day, I think they're fantastic. They play in a sorta classic/hard rock style with a bit of prog thrown in. They're all great musicians. Sheehan on bass, Kotzen on guitar and vocals. Kotzen's vocals are awesome, and there's some really Beetle-esc harmonies going on. Personally, I'm really excited about this project of his, he seems to be producing some quality music here.

Honest question. Do you think that TWD will bring anything to the table that hasn't been done better by another band in the past?

Offline Captain Reddot

« Reply #134 on: June 04, 2013, 12:44:37 PM »

Honest question. Do you think that TWD will bring anything to the table that hasn't been done better by another band in the past?

Well, it's nothing majorly innovative or ground-breaking but it's still good to listen to and better than any other Portnoy side project thus far imo. I don't think it's right comparing them to another artist, however. I can't think of any other trio with suspiciously Chris Cornell-like vocals, guitar/bass unison lines and other fun, prog elements so in that respect they do bring something different to the table and the songwriting (from what I've heard so far) is top quality :D I dunno, it's more in the direction of commercial sounding hard rock with a bit of spicing up, but that's to be expected with all three of them being virtuosos on their respective instruments.
“I think it's really tragic when people get serious about stuff. It's such an absurdity to take anything really seriously ... I make an honest attempt not to take anything seriously: I worked that attitude out about the time I was eighteen, I mean, what does it all mean when you get right down to it, what's the story here? Being alive is so weird.”
― Frank Zappa

• EB
« Reply #135 on: June 04, 2013, 12:49:12 PM »
So MP left Adrenaline Mob.. or he will after their dates with Halestorm.. I thought AM was his new 'main band'. I think he's missing the prog metal.. just sayin.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #136 on: June 04, 2013, 12:54:54 PM »

Well, it's nothing majorly innovative or ground-breaking but it's still good to listen to and better than any other Portnoy side project thus far imo. I don't think it's right comparing them to another artist, however. I can't think of any other trio with suspiciously Chris Cornell-like vocals, guitar/bass unison lines and other fun, prog elements so in that respect they do bring something different to the table and the songwriting (from what I've heard so far) is top quality :D I dunno, it's more in the direction of commercial sounding hard rock with a bit of spicing up, but that's to be expected with all three of them being virtuosos on their respective instruments.

Yeah, all that.  It doesn't have to be original to be good.  I know I'm looking forward to it.

So MP left Adrenaline Mob.. or he will after their dates with Halestorm.. I thought AM was his new 'main band'. I think he's missing the prog metal.. just sayin.

Not sure if that's the issue.  He's certainly getting a good dose of prog working with Neal Morse and Transatlantic, so I don't think that's it at all.  I think he's just realizing that Adrenaline Mob isn't something many fans are interested in, and therefore isn't a very viable longterm project for him.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."