Author Topic: DT-Side Chat Thread v. The Blu-Ray is out so I changed the friggin' title  (Read 154106 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
TBH I was also waiting for someone else to start that thread, but in the end I thought "whatever" and did it myself :P

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Got an 8.5/10 for my bachelor thesis today, so I officially have a BSc in Earth Science now!  :)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
:woot: :woot: :woot: :partyinpartyinyeah:

Congratulations!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Awesome! Congrats! Now celebrate by getting drunk. :P
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Onno

Thanks guys!  :D

Awesome! Congrats! Now celebrate by getting drunk. :P
I shall oblige you!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Congratulations!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
Congrats dude! :metal

Offline aprilethereal

Awesome :tup

Offline Onno

And thanks a lot to you guys too! :D

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
So... apparently my phone is dying a slow and painful death, as it doesn't charge even if you keep it plugged in for a whole day (no, it's not the battery - I got a new one and it didn't help at all). Any suggestions on what phone I should get next (except Nokia ::))?

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

So... apparently my phone is dying a slow and painful death, as it doesn't charge even if you keep it plugged in for a whole day (no, it's not the battery - I got a new one and it didn't help at all). Any suggestions on what phone I should get next (except Nokia ::))?

I'd go with a Galaxy S5, Good pixel density, and it's very durable. It has a removable battery, and a 32GB SD card is about a $25 upgrade IIRC, which can be switched out or installed easily. It works really well for me so far. I haven't had any issues, and I love how customizable it is.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline Onno

If you want a smartphone, I'd suggest one with more than about 512 MB RAM. I have an LG Optimus L5, and while it's a decent phone, even when I'm not running any apps in the foreground it tends to get slow sometimes simply because of apps running in the background, like WhatsApp. It's pretty annoying.

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

If you want a smartphone, I'd suggest one with more than about 512 MB RAM. I have an LG Optimus L5, and while it's a decent phone, even when I'm not running any apps in the foreground it tends to get slow sometimes simply because of apps running in the background, like WhatsApp. It's pretty annoying.

Yeah, RAM and a good CPU. The S5 has 2GB of RAM, and it's got a quadcore Snapdragon 801 @ 2.5GHz
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
My wife got the S5 recently and loves it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline aprilethereal

Yup, same here. I have an older Galaxy with 350 mb RAM and it's a pain to use it sometimes.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks for the tips, everyone! :tup I've been checking out a few websites to compare the prices and features of different phones, and there's one Samsung Galaxy model with 768 MB RAM and a 1800 mAh battery that I'm thinking of buying. My current Windows Phone has a 1300 mAh battery and it had to be charged daily, because I used it so much, which may have led to its demise. I can only hope this one would survive longer :P

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
You'd think that, with never models of phones, the battery would improve, but everything keeps getting worse. Granted, the phones are like mini computers now, but the fragility is awful. I still don't have a smartphone and I kinda dread the day I will have to get one - my current phone can go five to seven days without charging.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
It seems they don't improve the batteries at the same rate as they up the power requirements for the better hardware. Smart phones get better and better at the "smart" part, but in my observation worse at being actual phones. :lol
If they combined the best battery with the lowest-tech phone, it would probably last a month between charges, but it's probably not worth it for them to bother. The money is in the smartphones.

I don't even have a proper phone, because I don't leave the house. I have an older iPhone, but it's only using wifi at home. If/when I get a source of actual moneys, I'll get a phone if for no other reason, just because a lot of things require it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
I got my second phone in 2007 and didn't buy another one until 2011. It lasted just 1½ years until the touch screen broke, and then I got the current smartphone, which has now met its fate after a year and 3-4 months. Meanwhile, the old phone with minimal features (you can play music and videos and use crappy WAP, and that's it) is still unbroken and works as my backup phone, even after I'd used it actively for 4 years. Conclusion: phones get more fancy, but less durable - technology sucks...

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I got my second phone in 2007 and didn't buy another one until 2011. It lasted just 1½ years until the touch screen broke, and then I got the current smartphone, which has now met its fate after a year and 3-4 months. Meanwhile, the old phone with minimal features is still unbroken and works as my backup phone, even after I used it actively for 4 years. Conclusion: phones get more fancy, but less durable - technology sucks...

Technology (and every product in general) is built to be more consumable. It's not designed to last, it's designed to impress and sell. They expect people to just constantly upgrade like the consumer whores they all are.
All of our old cartridge based video game consoles still work perfectly after 15-25 years. The XBOX 360 we bought November last year (second hand, but a recent model)? Died months ago.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
I usually used second hand phones until 2010, when I got the one I'm using today. It's nothing fancy:

but it still works!

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I don't understand these people who dump their phone on an annual basis just to pick up the latest model. The previous phone worked fine, the upgrades in hardware are minimal at best, and I don't even want to know how much it costs to do that every year. :facepalm:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I got a hand me down Droid 3 from my boss but it is acting weird.  That may be the only reason I upgrade on the company's dime.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
I usually used second hand phones until 2010, when I got the one I'm using today. It's nothing fancy:
https://i.bullfax.com/imgs/29de080605e6a87a0a196e4449613fd054cb2210.jpg

but it still works!

I have that model as my job phone at the office. Works great, and the battery lasts very long.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
Technology (and every product in general) is built to be more consumable. It's not designed to last, it's designed to impress and sell. They expect people to just constantly upgrade like the consumer whores they all are.
All of our old cartridge based video game consoles still work perfectly after 15-25 years. The XBOX 360 we bought November last year (second hand, but a recent model)? Died months ago.
Yeah, of course you can get your phone (or any other device) repaired, but it's so expensive that you're better off buying a new one.

Speaking of game consoles, I got a PlayStation 2 back in 2003 and it's still not broken! :D That may have something to do with the fact that I've barely played anything in the past 5 years, but I still watch DVDs with it every now and then and it's working just fine.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
The main reason 360s break, If I recall correctly, is because they get really dusty inside, so in most cases all you actually need to do is clean it.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
The main reason 360s break, If I recall correctly, is because they get really dusty inside, so in most cases all you actually need to do is clean it.

Given that it stopped working after a period of non-use sitting on the floor, I considered that. But I would have thought that would cause overheating or something after having it on for a while, but it keeps resetting after only being on a few seconds. The error code lights weren't really much use, but seemed to indicate something else.
It's worth a try, as it's just sitting there right now.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
I actually had one of the old ones, it had constant use and didn't red ring, it just died. My step-dad cleaned it and it ran fine. I've heard the same happens in the new ones too, but not had it happen yet.
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
We still have a Playstation 2 and it still works.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I have an original Atari 2600 and it still works.  King FTW!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
This is a 250G S model, and it's not the RROD problem, and it's not outright dead. It just gets stuck in a constant starting loop. It seems consistent with something so benign.
Do you have to open it up to clean it? Or can I just clean it up Nintendo cartridge style?

Ours still works too! Let's network them and play multi-player Adventure!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 05:36:35 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
Unfortunantly, you've got open it up to clean it! Nintendo style, I miss you too.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Unfortunantly, you've got open it up to clean it! Nintendo style, I miss you too.

Ah damn. I guess it couldn't hurt to give it a try. It's not under any warranty anyway, and I've cleaned my computer plenty of times enough. I'll give it a try tomorrow if I'm feeling brave enough.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
This is a 250G S model, and it's not the RROD problem, and it's not outright dead. It just gets stuck in a constant starting loop. It seems consistent with something so benign.
Do you have to open it up to clean it? Or can I just clean it up Nintendo cartridge style?

No kidding!  Problem is, we have about 65 games but a good amount are not working.  I wonder if it's dust!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

No kidding!  Problem is, we have about 65 games but a good amount are not working.  I wonder if it's dust!

You don't have the later model with the 250+ built in games?! Poor man! I think we only ever owned 2 or 3 extra games on top of the built in ones. We had Ghostbusters and Winter Games, can't remember what else if anything.