Author Topic: Legend of Zelda Official DTF Discussion Thread  (Read 111340 times)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Re: Legend of Zelda Official DTF Discussion Thread
« Reply #735 on: September 04, 2012, 08:59:48 PM »
I had the Clock Town theme for the Final Day stuck in my head yesterday. Eerie stuff.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #737 on: September 05, 2012, 05:47:59 PM »
We'll see...before Skyward Sword's release, media outlets were saying it would have something like 80 hours of gameplay.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #738 on: September 05, 2012, 06:06:44 PM »
There is always one gigantic rumor between console Zelda games.  This is one of those.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #739 on: September 05, 2012, 07:03:41 PM »
My unrealistic dream? It's 2D, which allows enough resources for the largest overworld map in a 2D game ever.  :P
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #740 on: September 05, 2012, 07:11:41 PM »
OK here's the deal.  Until I get a new computer I can't do the webcam thing.  I see myself getting one in the next few weeks.  The computer I use is my wife's school computer and I can't install anything without administrative access.  So that's a no go.  So we'll have to wait.

I'm still playing it though, I have beaten half the game.  The thing is, I don't remember how I got that far, since it was like 3 years since I originally did it.  I will still basically be playing it raw.  So don't worry.  You won't have to tell me EVERYTHING but you may have to remind me of some stuff.

Part walk through, part help by watching a friend play it.  I dont' remember about 70% of it though. 
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #741 on: September 08, 2012, 06:42:16 AM »

Poor Link.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #742 on: September 08, 2012, 11:05:56 AM »
 :lol
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #743 on: September 08, 2012, 03:27:54 PM »
I really hope the next Zelda doesn't have SS style graphics as that rumor states. More like the tech demo, please.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #744 on: September 09, 2012, 10:37:19 PM »
I really hope the next Zelda doesn't have SS style graphics as that rumor states. More like the tech demo, please.

This.  A million times, this.

Hopefully Nintendo needs to look no further than Skyward Sword's sales numbers to know not to venture back into that territory. 

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #745 on: September 10, 2012, 05:20:26 AM »
I kinda like the stylized graphics myself, although I wouldn't care if they were more "real" either. Doesn't matter though, Zelda fans are gonna complain anyway.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #746 on: September 10, 2012, 08:16:53 AM »
True, but if that's the case it'd make sense to not flush money down the toilet by doing a cartoon styled art theme again.  Twilight Princess' sales in Japan were considered a "failure" because of the art style, and it still smoked Skyward Sword there.  So why not just make a game that will have a wider appeal everywhere else?  Because let's face it, unless you're already into Zelda, you're sure not starting with Skyward Sword.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #747 on: September 10, 2012, 11:20:49 AM »
I loved the graphics to SS (and TWW at that). But they should show off the Wii U by making Zelda just like that tech demo.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #748 on: September 10, 2012, 07:06:45 PM »
In theory, the supposedly Impressionist graphical style of SS could have worked, but I feel like they just didn't pull it off. The game looks kinda bad for Wii game. TWW graphics, on the other hand, are very appealing to me because they are what they are. It doesn't seem like they're attempting a look but failing.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #749 on: September 11, 2012, 01:33:58 AM »
SS's graphics look really bad on youtube, but if you see it in real life, they are much more impressive.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #750 on: September 11, 2012, 05:20:00 AM »
I do agree with that. Watching it is also not nearly as satisfying as playing it, which I imagine would be the case with any game.

Offline Tanatra

• Forum Spider
« Reply #751 on: September 11, 2012, 08:27:33 PM »

Where does it state that? This was all I could find concerning the graphics of the game:

The insider adds that Zelda for Wii U run in full high-definition, with a new "state of the art" game engine that was built from the ground up. The game reportedly boasts the "most advanced visual features Nintendo has ever made," and includes various third-party technologies, including Havok and Umbra.

The source also claimed that the Zelda demo Nintendo showed during its 2011 Electronic Entertainment Expo was merely a technology presentation made by a different team with an older engine.

And I see nothing about it being in the same style as SS.

SS was one of if not the longest Zelda game ever made, but much of its length involved annoying collection quests and revisiting the same areas multiple times. It was also a bit too kiddy IMO.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #752 on: September 11, 2012, 09:08:16 PM »

Where does it state that? This was all I could find concerning the graphics of the game:

The insider adds that Zelda for Wii U run in full high-definition, with a new "state of the art" game engine that was built from the ground up. The game reportedly boasts the "most advanced visual features Nintendo has ever made," and includes various third-party technologies, including Havok and Umbra.

The source also claimed that the Zelda demo Nintendo showed during its 2011 Electronic Entertainment Expo was merely a technology presentation made by a different team with an older engine.

Oh. I was assuming that was the same article I read. Here: https://wiiudaily.com/2012/09/wii-u-zelda-game-coming-2014/
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Tanatra

• Forum Spider
« Reply #753 on: September 11, 2012, 09:24:33 PM »

Oh. I was assuming that was the same article I read. Here: https://wiiudaily.com/2012/09/wii-u-zelda-game-coming-2014/

Yeah, I read a different article. Thanks for posting that. Is that forest screenshot from the tech demo as well? Because it looks amazing. Anyway, I can't say that I'm very optimistic about this after reading this quote:

“Nintendo is sticking to the core values of Zelda, while trying to appeal to a wide range of gamers, casual and hardcore”, our source told us, adding, “They feel they’ve found the sweet spot with Skyward Sword, and they’re continuing this approach with the Wii U Zelda game.”

Looks like the mature atmosphere of TP was a one-off attempt, and now they're just staying with the "fun for all ages" approach, never mind the fact that a huge majority of the bestselling games for the past five years or so have been rated M.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #754 on: September 11, 2012, 09:37:57 PM »
Nintendo's attempts to have Zelda appeal to casual gamers haven't really paid off. I just want a game with more difficulty and no new gimmicks.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #755 on: September 11, 2012, 10:58:39 PM »
SS's graphics look really bad on youtube, but if you see it in real life, they are much more impressive.

I don't feel like searching for the link now, but there is a youtube video comparing the game footage split screen with the same footage someone ran through a basic anti-aliasing filter.  The latter looked significantly better than the game Nintendo released, which is pretty unsettling.

Yeah, I read a different article. Thanks for posting that. Is that forest screenshot from the tech demo as well? Because it looks amazing. Anyway, I can't say that I'm very optimistic about this after reading this quote:

“Nintendo is sticking to the core values of Zelda, while trying to appeal to a wide range of gamers, casual and hardcore”, our source told us, adding, “They feel they’ve found the sweet spot with Skyward Sword, and they’re continuing this approach with the Wii U Zelda game.”

Looks like the mature atmosphere of TP was a one-off attempt, and now they're just staying with the "fun for all ages" approach, never mind the fact that a huge majority of the bestselling games for the past five years or so have been rated M.

That shot is from Skyward Sword, and to channel my inner Fi, there is a 0.05% chance of that link being true, rounded up. 

I would certainly hope the next game is like the 2011 tech demo.  I don't know if you saw how the forums and buzz lit up when that was shown, but until it was confirmed that it was a tech demo rather than a game, the fan base all but forgot about Skyward Sword. 

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #756 on: December 06, 2012, 06:23:49 PM »
Carrying this over from the chat thread.  SO I started playing OoT and I love it.  It was suggested on another forum I'm on that I should've played Link to the Past first.  So I've taken a short break from OoT to play around with LTTP.  I'm now in Hera's Tower with the final boss Moldorm.  I'm ready to throw my entire f*cking computer out the damned window.  So f*cking frustrating.  The most I've managed is 4 hits before getting knocked off.  Fuck you, LTTP.

Disclaimer, I'm drunk.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #757 on: December 06, 2012, 06:27:32 PM »
 :rollin Shit, that's a tough boss when you're stone sober. Good luck!

P.S. OoT is still the greatest game of all time and when you reach Kakkariko, say hi to my avatar Grog, cause he's my inspiration and the greatest character ever created. Ohhh you're in for one hell of a game with LttP though. Let us know whenever you beat him.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #758 on: December 06, 2012, 06:29:13 PM »
No, I was playing it sober, the re-telling of the tale is in drunk mode.  :lol  LTTP so far is pretty cool, but I'm not nearly as enchanted with it as I am with OoT.  Now for the record, I've played Zelda 1, 2, LTTP, and OoT.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #759 on: December 06, 2012, 06:32:26 PM »
Ah, gotcha. Good stuff! I'm a Zelda addict. Er...used to be. I don't play many games these days and haven't played a Zelda since Twilight, which I didn't like all that much. The Wind Waker was the last great Zelda game in my eyes, but nothing will ever touch OoT. I still just have that one game for my 3DS and play it more than I do my Xbox or any PC games. You should try out the gameboy games next, they're very, very good; especially Link's Awakening. But the Oracles games, Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons are awesome as well, especially with their connectivity and the whole continuity of the storylines interacting.

I just love the characters so very much in all of the Zelda games. They're all extremely quirky and odd and I love them.

RIP DTP.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #760 on: December 06, 2012, 06:45:27 PM »
My heart skips a bit every time I see this thread in updated topics. I fucking love Zelda.

Last year, my flatmate at college attempted to play his first ever Zelda game (OoT) while drunk. It was pretty shameful. The dude almost died on Gohma.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #761 on: December 06, 2012, 06:54:39 PM »
 :lol Awesome.

Yeah, other than Final Fantasy, there is no series that affects me like Zelda, nor one that I will love as much. Sadly both of them are dying. Well, Zelda much less so, but I still compare every new Zelda to OoT and end up going to play that instead. SS was a good start (from what I've seen at least), but there's still some magic that's been lost that I cannot even put into words. But I have high hopes for Nintendo, they still make quality games. Sad I can't say the same for Square-Enix, whom I nearly abhor now.

RIP DTP.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #762 on: December 06, 2012, 07:01:36 PM »
ALTTP means so much to me. It's probably the game that elicits the most nostalgia from me. Even just the sound effects make me all warm and fuzzy inside.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #763 on: December 06, 2012, 07:06:58 PM »
:lol Awesome.

Yeah, other than Final Fantasy, there is no series that affects me like Zelda, nor one that I will love as much. Sadly both of them are dying. Well, Zelda much less so, but I still compare every new Zelda to OoT and end up going to play that instead. SS was a good start (from what I've seen at least), but there's still some magic that's been lost that I cannot even put into words. But I have high hopes for Nintendo, they still make quality games. Sad I can't say the same for Square-Enix, whom I nearly abhor now.

Honestly, I think it's just because OoT set the bar so damn high, that nothing can ever meet up to it, even if on its own merits it's a great game. Kinda like Star Wars with Empire Strikes Back, Dream Theater with I&W and Awake, etc. Set the bar too high and everything else will look like shit in comparison.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #764 on: December 06, 2012, 07:22:15 PM »
ALTTP means so much to me. It's probably the game that elicits the most nostalgia from me. Even just the sound effects make me all warm and fuzzy inside.

I hear that, my very first video game was (okay, technically it was Super Mario World) ALttP. Odd that I don't get as much nostalgia from it as OoT.

Definitely, SD. That's a good thing though, well in a way. Gaming is just too different these days than it was when the industry first exploded. I wouldn't be able to refer to it as the Golden Age of Gaming though if not for titles like these.

Speaking of nostalgia...I really, really hate when people use nostalgia as a way to say that a game isn't as good as one thinks it is. Considering I can still play it next to the current-gen games and get more satisfaction out of it; as in just playing the game and not reminiscing about it with friends, says it all. It plays a factor, sure, but it's not a reason to say that it isn't as good as I think it is. Not to mention I went back and played Goldeneye 64 the other day and hated the hell out of it. I think I got motion sickness from it, and the only reason why I'm not sure is that I've never had motion sickness before.  :lol

RIP DTP.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #765 on: December 06, 2012, 07:24:07 PM »
OOT is my third favorite game of all time, but I get a little sick of hearing about it since it casts a long shadow over the series. I find something to like in all the main Zelda games, except Four Swords Adventures which I still need to play! And The Wind Waker is the best Zelda game. ;)
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #766 on: December 06, 2012, 07:26:08 PM »
I wouldn't say you're missing much, Tio. Last Zelda I really enjoyed was Minish Cap. The DS titles and Skyward Sword were all shit. They need to quit trying to outdo themselves and just make a good Zelda again.

...Also I haaaaate stylus and motion controls.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #767 on: December 06, 2012, 07:27:42 PM »
I wouldn't say love for OoT is *entirely* nostalgia even if it does play a major role; the reason old fans fawn over it so much is because it was a great game. It was fucking fun, and well-built, not only for its time but even now. It's just really aged well.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #768 on: December 06, 2012, 07:28:03 PM »
The DS games are absurdly underrated. Sometimes I think I'm the only person in the world who likes them. Phantom Hourglass was pretty good with some obvious flaws, but I like Spirit Tracks a lot and even prefer it to Skyward Sword.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #769 on: December 06, 2012, 07:39:08 PM »
Running through Master Quest again, my OoT nostalgia kicked in. Got stumped too many times had to go look shit up.