Author Topic: Legend of Zelda Official DTF Discussion Thread  (Read 111297 times)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Ħ

Re: Legend of Zelda Official DTF Discussion Thread
« Reply #701 on: August 09, 2012, 11:02:49 PM »
Very cool, Dude. Your writeup is interesting! Even though I knew everything basically, it's cool to hear someone who has the same sentiments about Zelda. :)
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #702 on: August 10, 2012, 04:51:27 AM »
I'm really itching for news about a new Zelda game. My biggest wish: less linearity.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #703 on: August 10, 2012, 05:15:54 AM »
I agree, less linearity than other Zelda games, but I'm sick of the linearity trend everywhere else in the industry. I actually found I don't like "do whatever the hell you want" games like Skyrim anymore.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #704 on: August 10, 2012, 07:24:39 AM »
Yeah, I mean less linear than recent Zelda games. The areas of Skyward Sword really felt like levels, and the amount of exploration and sidequests wasn't as extensive as I'd like.

Also, I'd like more difficulty and combat. It seems like recent Zelda games are more skewed towards puzzles than fighting. I think the developers should look to ALTTP for inspiration, since that game had a nice open feel to it, plus a good difficulty level from the large amount of enemies breathing down Link's neck all the time.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #705 on: August 10, 2012, 03:35:46 PM »
Now that I've given Skyward Sword some breathing room after my second play through, I can honestly say I was pretty let down by it.

Interesting that the game was received so well overall for a couple of reasons.  Firstly, the things people complained about in Twilight Princess like hand holding and linearity, were put on steroids for Skyward Sword.  Secondly, it has sold the worst of any console Zelda title except for Majora's Mask.

That said, flaws and all I loved Twilight Princess, but there were just way too many backward steps taken in Skyward Sword for me to really love it.  I think in a lot of ways it's like the Other M of the Zelda franchise.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #706 on: August 10, 2012, 03:37:09 PM »
Now that I've given Skyward Sword some breathing room after my second play through, I can honestly say I was pretty let down by it.

Interesting that the game was received so well overall for a couple of reasons.  Firstly, the things people complained about in Twilight Princess like hand holding and linearity, were put on steroids for Skyward Sword.  Secondly, it has sold the worst of any console Zelda title except for Majora's Mask.

That said, flaws and all I loved Twilight Princess, but there were just way too many backward steps taken in Skyward Sword for me to really love it.  I think in a lot of ways it's like the Other M of the Zelda franchise.

I thought the story was pretty good for a Zelda game, and the characters were pretty well done.

Offline Cable

« Reply #707 on: August 10, 2012, 04:21:11 PM »
I agree, less linearity than other Zelda games, but I'm sick of the linearity trend everywhere else in the industry. I actually found I don't like "do whatever the hell you want" games like Skyrim anymore.

I agree. I find this whole concept of "open" games a bit overhyped. All games have a funnel at some point for story lines.
---

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #708 on: August 10, 2012, 04:33:17 PM »

I thought the story was pretty good for a Zelda game, and the characters were pretty well done.

I thought the story was okay, but I definitely disagree about the characters. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #709 on: August 10, 2012, 05:18:39 PM »
I just got to the Faron(?) Woods in SS, and I already like this game way much more than TP. For much of TP, I had this 'What am I doing, and why do I care?' feeling as I was going through the game. I sorta missed the whole point of the story, and didn’t care about my quests or anything or anyone I encountered along the way. And I barely remember much about it at this point.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #710 on: August 10, 2012, 08:27:51 PM »

I thought the story was okay, but I definitely disagree about the characters.

I never said all of them. :P

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #711 on: August 10, 2012, 09:05:07 PM »

I was really disappointed by SS. I enjoy almost all Zelda games (even Phantom Hourglass), but too many things missed the mark in SS for me. I thought the game was fine during the beginning, but it started losing steam after the first visit to the desert. One thing I didn't like that I never hear about is SPOILERZ: Zelda actually being a goddess in human form.

I vastly prefer Twilight Princess. Did a lot of people who don't like TP play the Wii version? I only played the GameCube version, so I have no complaints about lame motion controls.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #712 on: August 10, 2012, 10:47:23 PM »

I was really disappointed by SS. I enjoy almost all Zelda games (even Phantom Hourglass), but too many things missed the mark in SS for me. I thought the game was fine during the beginning, but it started losing steam after the first visit to the desert. One thing I didn't like that I never hear about is SPOILERZ: Zelda actually being a goddess in human form.

I vastly prefer Twilight Princess. Did a lot of people who don't like TP play the Wii version? I only played the GameCube version, so I have no complaints about lame motion controls.

I've only played the Wii version but I love it.  The sword controls are maybe the only area where I feel that Skyward Sword actually outshines Twilight Princess, though it's a shame they had to overdo it by using motion controls for swimming and a couple other mundane things.

Funny you mention the beginning, I found that part an absolute chore to get through.  Until you actually land on the surface, you spend way more time watching the game than playing it, with unskippable cutscenes and dialogue.  And it's all so lighthearted and goofy, it really makes it extra hard to get through if you aren't a particular fan of the art style, which I wasn't (on a side note, no game released in 2011 should look this bad, it's inexcusable).  It's an extra bit of chore on Hero Mode, since some of the characters acknowledge that it's your second play through, yet still lecture you and make you do all the tutorial stuff (at least you can skip the cut scenes this time around). 

Back in 1986 it was simply "It's dangerous to go alone.  Take this!".  Bam. Adventure.
 Now the games require two hours of intro before you actually do anything relevant.  This was a problem in Twilight Princess as well, but it was not nearly as severe.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #713 on: August 11, 2012, 06:03:53 AM »
It's actually an endemic problem in most gaming these days. That's why I love Journey for example, because it's one of the rare modern instances of pick up and play.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #714 on: August 11, 2012, 09:46:45 PM »
Funny you mention the beginning, I found that part an absolute chore to get through.  Until you actually land on the surface, you spend way more time watching the game than playing it, with unskippable cutscenes and dialogue.  And it's all so lighthearted and goofy, it really makes it extra hard to get through if you aren't a particular fan of the art style, which I wasn't (on a side note, no game released in 2011 should look this bad, it's inexcusable).  It's an extra bit of chore on Hero Mode, since some of the characters acknowledge that it's your second play through, yet still lecture you and make you do all the tutorial stuff (at least you can skip the cut scenes this time around). 

I liked the game until after the first visit to the desert because everything was new. After that, the repetitive tedium of revisiting the same places over again set in. I didn't realize at first that there would only be three regions to visit, so my hopes were kind of dashed.

One of my favorite parts of games is all the towns and characters and NPC dialogue, and I actually wanted more towns in SS. The surface feels strangely empty, as does the sky (a real missed opportunity). But yeah, I never liked the art style.

I don't know how anybody can play Hero Mode after beating it once. I was sick as hell of the game the first time. :lol
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #715 on: August 11, 2012, 09:55:19 PM »

I liked the game until after the first visit to the desert because everything was new. After that, the repetitive tedium of revisiting the same places over again set in. I didn't realize at first that there would only be three regions to visit, so my hopes were kind of dashed.

One of my favorite parts of games is all the towns and characters and NPC dialogue, and I actually wanted more towns in SS. The surface feels strangely empty, as does the sky (a real missed opportunity). But yeah, I never liked the art style.

I don't know how anybody can play Hero Mode after beating it once. I was sick as hell of the game the first time. :lol

Yeah, the way the map was set up was pretty sorry.  Three regions that are not connected and no way to warp between them.  Hyrule was really more like three unconnected obstacle courses this time around.  Pity.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #716 on: August 11, 2012, 10:01:27 PM »
If you could eventually travel between the forest, volcano, and desert by foot, it would have been improved greatly. Having to go back to the sky was a bummer. Oh well. I know it sounds like I hate Skyward Sword, but it was still alright despite its many faults. Just not up to the quality I expect from Zelda.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #717 on: August 11, 2012, 11:13:51 PM »
CONVERSTION CHANGE!!!!

I've never beaten legend of zelda on NES.  Remember years ago when I showed myself play through smb3 on my webcam?  How about doing something similar where I play Zelda but you guys guide me whee to go?  Itd be fun for me, and fun for you because you'd be reliving it and laughing at me.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #718 on: August 12, 2012, 11:11:11 PM »
CONVERSTION CHANGE!!!!

I've never beaten legend of zelda on NES.  Remember years ago when I showed myself play through smb3 on my webcam?  How about doing something similar where I play Zelda but you guys guide me whee to go and beat it on my own, like everyone else had to?  Itd be fun for me, and fun for you because you'd be reliving it and laughing at me.

I'd be down for that :D
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Ħ

« Reply #719 on: August 13, 2012, 12:05:33 PM »
CONVERSTION CHANGE!!!!

I've never beaten legend of zelda on NES.  Remember years ago when I showed myself play through smb3 on my webcam?  How about doing something similar where I play Zelda but you guys guide me whee to go?  Itd be fun for me, and fun for you because you'd be reliving it and laughing at me.
It's probably three times harder than the next zelda game. But if you go for it with no walkthrough, and just our guidance...it might be interesting. Good effing luck.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Tanatra

• Forum Spider
« Reply #720 on: August 13, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »
It's probably three times harder than the next zelda game. But if you go for it with no walkthrough, and just our guidance...it might be interesting. Good effing luck.

Huh? AoL was much, much more difficult than LoZ.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #721 on: August 13, 2012, 08:01:07 PM »

Huh? AoL was much, much more difficult than LoZ.

Yeah, totally. I finished LoZ, barely got past the first dungeon in AoL.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #722 on: August 13, 2012, 09:11:43 PM »
They were both difficult, but I think the very nature of the gameplay changes in Zelda II make it more difficult.

Also, in case anyone was interested, there are three ten-minute shorts that were just released independently if Zelda happened to be a Western.  There is not a whole lot worth writing home about but Zelda and Navi aren't too hard on the eyes.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #723 on: August 14, 2012, 10:52:45 PM »
If LoZ is successful I'll do AoL with you guys too :) this is as soon as I get another computer which should be in the next month or so.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #724 on: August 15, 2012, 09:16:36 AM »
I had a much easier time with AoL because I got the combat down. Dungeon layout, for the most part, is easy in AoL. Being good at combat in the first game is much much harder, you can only move in the four d-pad directions (not diagonal) and you can only swipe in front of you. It makes dodging and attacking very difficult.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #725 on: August 17, 2012, 07:07:35 AM »
Hyrule Historia is being translated and will be released in January in North America, Australia, UK, and other parts of Europe. Yesssssss!

https://www.darkhorse.com/Books/20-921/The-Legend-of-Zelda-Hyrule-Historia-HC
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #726 on: August 17, 2012, 09:20:11 AM »
That's a must buy.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #727 on: August 21, 2012, 02:27:12 PM »
fo sho!

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #728 on: August 23, 2012, 08:38:15 PM »
OK here's the deal.  Until I get a new computer I can't do the webcam thing.  I see myself getting one in the next few weeks.  The computer I use is my wife's school computer and I can't install anything without administrative access.  So that's a no go.  So we'll have to wait.

I'm still playing it though, I have beaten half the game.  The thing is, I don't remember how I got that far, since it was like 3 years since I originally did it.  I will still basically be playing it raw.  So don't worry.  You won't have to tell me EVERYTHING but you may have to remind me of some stuff.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #729 on: August 23, 2012, 09:07:21 PM »
Half the original Zelda? Did you use walkthroughs or something? If not that's pretty good by yourself!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #730 on: August 23, 2012, 09:52:24 PM »
Meh. Get through Death Mountain in Adventure of Link, then we'll talk.  :)

Offline Snow_Dog

• Wave after wave
« Reply #731 on: August 24, 2012, 04:14:31 PM »
Starting up Oracle of Ages again, might play Seasons, or Links Awakening after.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #732 on: August 25, 2012, 01:13:47 AM »
Have fun playing my two favorite Zelda titles, Snow_Dog.  :metal Ages and Seasons together is probably one of my favorite games of all time. It gets especially rewarding when you start reaping the rewards of linking (no pun intended) the games together.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #733 on: August 25, 2012, 01:26:18 PM »
Meh. Get through Death Mountain in Adventure of Link, then we'll talk.  :)
You mean those axe guys that can kill you in about 4 seconds, right? The trick is to get the rhythm of their axe swings down, then you can swipe 'em.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #734 on: September 04, 2012, 08:49:40 PM »
For some reason I've been craving Zelda lately. I'm going to try and replay Majora's Mask soon. What an incredible game. Just thinking about it gives me chills.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!