Author Topic: Legend of Zelda Official DTF Discussion Thread  (Read 109848 times)

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
Re: Legend of Zelda Official DTF Discussion Thread
« Reply #175 on: June 08, 2011, 03:52:53 PM »
Huh, interesting.  Like your name btw (when I was a kid that was my favorite enemy because it looked like a bunny :p). ;)

Haha! Thanks. They aren't my favorite but their name is pretty intriguing/weird and I like rabbits. ;D
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #176 on: June 09, 2011, 08:41:51 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckVwh80O2BM

:caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine:

(Although I'm hoping the latter comments doesn't mean Ganondorf will be making yet another appearance)
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #177 on: June 09, 2011, 09:58:33 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckVwh80O2BM

:caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine:

(Although I'm hoping the latter comments doesn't mean Ganondorf will be making yet another appearance)

I would be fine with it.  All of that sounds great!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #178 on: June 09, 2011, 10:00:47 PM »
I mean it does raise another issue though, that having Ganondorf as a baddie this early on in Zelda history, and especially if he were the main baddie, that could mess with the continuity a bit.  After all, he has his origin story in OoT, doesn't he?

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #179 on: June 10, 2011, 05:23:43 AM »
I mean it does raise another issue though, that having Ganondorf as a baddie this early on in Zelda history, and especially if he were the main baddie, that could mess with the continuity a bit.  After all, he has his origin story in OoT, doesn't he?
You don't think it's messed up enough as it is? :lol

This video explains much better than I can: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHIP9UtkQDQ :biggrin:
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #180 on: June 10, 2011, 06:03:00 AM »
Well see I prescribe to the split timeline theory, so I know the chronology is kinda complex.  It's just Ganondorf had his origin story already, it would be weird to have an earlier Ganondorf.  I just always figured that through all the incarnations of Link and Zelda, there was one distinct Ganondorf that was split across both timelines.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #181 on: June 10, 2011, 09:12:17 AM »
Well see I prescribe to the split timeline theory, so I know the chronology is kinda complex.  It's just Ganondorf had his origin story already, it would be weird to have an earlier Ganondorf.  I just always figured that through all the incarnations of Link and Zelda, there was one distinct Ganondorf that was split across both timelines.

Yeah, the split timeline was confirmed by "the maker" himself.  I always bought that there was only one Ganon as well, but I think we're kidding ourselves if we think they put as much thought into timelines and continuity as the fans do.  Until the Wind Waker came out, it wasn't even confirmed that there were multiple Links.  I'm sure there's a way to shoehorn him in there though.  I don't think Ocarina necessarily has to be his origin story, maybe just his introduction to the Royal Family of the time, or the first time he successfully took over. 

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #182 on: June 10, 2011, 10:56:04 AM »

Yeah, the split timeline was confirmed by "the maker" himself.  I always bought that there was only one Ganon as well, but I think we're kidding ourselves if we think they put as much thought into timelines and continuity as the fans do.  Until the Wind Waker came out, it wasn't even confirmed that there were multiple Links.  I'm sure there's a way to shoehorn him in there though.  I don't think Ocarina necessarily has to be his origin story, maybe just his introduction to the Royal Family of the time, or the first time he successfully took over. 

Well yes, but it's also the first time the tidbit about only one Gerudo male every hundred years is introduced.  Ganondorf is the first Gerudo male in 100 years, and somehow I doubt every Gerudo male ever was named Ganondorf and that this Gerudo wanted to take over Hyrule every single time.  Wouldn't they have learned not to repeat that mistake after a while? :p

Kosmo

« Reply #183 on: June 10, 2011, 11:20:35 AM »
You don't think it's messed up enough as it is? :lol

This video explains much better than I can: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHIP9UtkQDQ :biggrin:
Beat me to it.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #184 on: June 10, 2011, 11:59:14 AM »

Well yes, but it's also the first time the tidbit about only one Gerudo male every hundred years is introduced.  Ganondorf is the first Gerudo male in 100 years, and somehow I doubt every Gerudo male ever was named Ganondorf and that this Gerudo wanted to take over Hyrule every single time.  Wouldn't they have learned not to repeat that mistake after a while? :p

Unless this game is within that 100 year span.

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #185 on: June 29, 2011, 01:10:39 PM »
I finally finished the Minish Cap last night after quitting on the final boss years ago. I believe that was the hardest final boss battles I've gone through out of all the Zelda games.  I needed to collect all but one of my hearts and have all four jars filled with the red potion to make it through.

So that makes my list of completed Zelda's

Minish Cap
Ocarina of Time
Phantom Hourglass
Twilight Princess
Spirit Tracks

Bring on Skyward Sword!

By the way...  Does anyone have Ocarina of Time for the 3DS?  If so how does it look?
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #186 on: June 29, 2011, 02:55:37 PM »
I finally finished the Minish Cap last night after quitting on the final boss years ago. I believe that was the hardest final boss battles I've gone through out of all the Zelda games.  I needed to collect all but one of my hearts and have all four jars filled with the red potion to make it through.

Seriously?
The Minish Cap is by far and away the easiest Zelda game there has ever been..

Offline Durg

« Reply #187 on: June 29, 2011, 03:23:29 PM »

Seriously?
The Minish Cap is by far and away the easiest Zelda game there has ever been..

Well everything else was easy but the final battle I thought was hard.  Maybe I just don't do well on the gameboy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #188 on: June 29, 2011, 03:32:00 PM »
I did find that countdown bit just before the final boss battle was a little tedious.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #189 on: June 29, 2011, 04:02:11 PM »
Maybe I just don't do well on the gameboy.

Entirely plausible.

I find that I'm much better on the gameboy than other platforms. Must be from years of constant practice.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #190 on: June 29, 2011, 04:42:54 PM »
:heart Zelda.  I've beaten all of them, including Four Swords.  My favorite is WW, but my favorite conceptually is MM. 
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #191 on: June 29, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
The final boss in Minish Cap is a nice challenge. The game is relatively easy overall but I love it.

:heart Zelda.  I've beaten all of them, including Four Swords.  My favorite is WW, but my favorite conceptually is MM. 

The Wind Waker's my favorite too. :biggrin:
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #192 on: June 29, 2011, 05:16:01 PM »
Minish Cap is the best handheld.

**runs**
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #193 on: June 29, 2011, 05:42:16 PM »
Minish Cap is the best handheld, after both of the Oracle games.

**stays, because this is an established fact, and there is no need to be ashamed of agreeing with it**

FTFY

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #194 on: June 29, 2011, 06:00:56 PM »
Maybe it's because I found the Oracle series maddeningly difficult (cut me some slack, I was 11 years old), but by far I prefer the Minish Cap.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #195 on: June 29, 2011, 06:55:35 PM »
Maybe it's because I found the Oracle series maddeningly difficult (cut me some slack, I was 11 years old), but by far I prefer the Minish Cap.

sorry, I don't think I can cut you that much slack.. I was 9 when I got them, and I waltzed through them

But w/e, I've been sounding like a complete dick in my last few posts, so I'm gonna stop there.
You should really try and replay those games, they're fantastic.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #196 on: June 29, 2011, 07:08:30 PM »
I like all of the handheld Zelda games. Ranking:

1. Link's Awakening
2. The Minish Cap
3. Oracle of Seasons
4. Oracle of Ages
5. Spirit Tracks
6. Phantom Hourglass

I'm not totally sure if I like Seasons or Ages better, but Seasons has Subrosia, which is cool.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #197 on: June 29, 2011, 07:14:48 PM »
Ranking time:

1. The Wind Waker
2. Ocarina of Time
3. Twilight Princess
4. The Minish Cap
5. Spirit Tracks
6. Oracle of Seasons
7. Majora's Mask
8. A Link to the Past
9. Link's Awakening
10. The Adventure of Link
11. Four Swords Adventures
12. Phantom Hourglass
13. The Legend of Zelda
14. Oracle of Ages
15. Four Swords

Offline j

« Reply #198 on: June 29, 2011, 08:10:04 PM »
1. Ocarina of Time
2. A Link to the Past
3. Twilight Princess
4. The Legend of Zelda
5. The Wind Waker
6. Majora's Mask
7. Link's Awakening
8. The Adventure of Link

Haven't played the others, but I've been meaning to get around to several of them.  Every game on this list I enjoyed thoroughly, even The Adventure of Link (although that one is definitely the 'worst' of the bunch).

I did play the Oracle games for the game boy and remember liking them, but it was a loooong time ago and I don't recall enough about them to know where I'd rank them.

-J

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #199 on: June 29, 2011, 09:10:48 PM »
1. Oracle of Seasons/Oracle of Time
2. Ocarina of Time
3. Wind Waker
4. Majora's Mask
6. Twilight Princess
7. Minish Cap
8. A Link to the Past
9. Link's Awakening
10. Phantom Hourglass (absolute rubbish)

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #200 on: June 29, 2011, 09:14:47 PM »
Minish Cap is the best handheld.

**runs**

lolno

Rankings:

1. Ocarina of Time
2. Link's Awakening
3. Oracle of Seasons/Ages
4. Twilight Princess
5. A Link to the Past
6. Majora's Mask
7. Legend of Zelda
8. Wind Waker
9. Spirit Tracks
10. Minish Cap
11. Phantom Hourglass
12. Adventure of Link

Gameboy Zeldas ftw!

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #201 on: June 29, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
Tingle

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #202 on: June 29, 2011, 09:42:31 PM »
1. Ocarina of Time
2. Majora's Mask
3. Twilight Princess
4. Link's Awakening
5. Minish Cap
6. A Link to the Past
7. Legend of Zelda
8. Wind Wanker
9. Oracle Series
10. Adventure of Link can suck my left nut

In general I prefer console Zelda releases to the portables (with the couple of notable exceptions listed), and 3D games to 2D ones (except Wind Waker).

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #203 on: June 29, 2011, 09:52:13 PM »
1. Ocarina of Time
2. Majora's Mask
3. Twilight Princess
4. Oracle of Seasons
5. Oracle of Ages
6. Wind Waker
7. Link's Awakening
8. Phantom Hourglass
9. A Link to the Past
10. Legend of Zelda
11. Adventures of Link

Still need to play Spirit Tracks and Minish Cap. I like Phantom Hourglass, but its the only recent Zelda portable I've played, so maybe it doesnt stack up as well against the rest.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 10:03:09 PM by ZBomber »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: June 29, 2011, 09:57:45 PM »
A Link to the Past
Ocarina of Time
* these two are 1 and 1a and could flip flop at any time. But if I could only play one of them again in the rest of my lifetime, it would be ALttP

Legend of Zelda - The game that led me in to Nintendo fanboyism.

Twilight Princess - I really, really wanted to like this game, just didn't
Majora's Mask - Only because I found it so difficult for some reason

Wind Waker

< big gap here>

Adventure of Link - Worst follow-up in the history of follow-ups

* Haven't played any of the handhelds
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Ħ

« Reply #205 on: June 29, 2011, 10:09:00 PM »
Still need to play Spirit Tracks and Minish Cap. I like Phantom Hourglass, but its the only recent Zelda portable I've played, so maybe it doesnt stack up as well against the rest.
Those are the two best handhelds.  If you liked PH, those will be incredible.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #206 on: June 30, 2011, 05:55:16 AM »

Oh god, they totally aren't.

And how could someone actually like the Phantom Hourglass? It was such a horrifically annoying game to play, what with having to go through that same goddamn dungeon 6 times, and having to look at that idiot Linebeck throughout the entire game.

Offline Durg

« Reply #207 on: June 30, 2011, 06:09:48 AM »

Oh god, they totally aren't.

And how could someone actually like the Phantom Hourglass? It was such a horrifically annoying game to play, what with having to go through that same goddamn dungeon 6 times, and having to look at that idiot Linebeck throughout the entire game.

That was actually my first Zelda experience with my son's Nintendo DS.  But I'm used to annoying things like that.  The annoying helper seems to be a Zelda theme though.  Midna was pretty dang annoying.  Ezlo the bird hat thing too.  Yeah,  I guess now that I think about it; Linebeck was really awful.  The repeating dungeon thing was annoying, yes.  I didn't care for the whole ship aspect of it.  Still it was my first so I reserve a fond place in my heart for it.  I guess I'll have to agree with the rest of the world that Ocarina of Time is the best so far.  Sounds like I need to do Wind Waker.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #208 on: June 30, 2011, 06:12:27 AM »
Sounds like I need to do Wind Waker.

If you can, do.

The game is fantastic.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #209 on: June 30, 2011, 07:44:40 AM »
I wasn't much of a fan of Wind Waker to be honest, and it's not because of the cel-shaded graphics (actually I couldn't care less about what graphics a Zelda game sports).  I thought that the sea travel was unnecessarily long and boring and really could've used a fast travel option (I know there's a teleport option but shut the hell up, that's besides the point), I found the Triforce piece hunt equally boring and tedious, and really REALLY hated the dungeons, especially the last two (the awakening of the sage ones).