Author Topic: Legend of Zelda Official DTF Discussion Thread  (Read 109851 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Legend of Zelda Official DTF Discussion Thread
« Reply #1155 on: June 11, 2014, 10:06:13 PM »
I'm getting to that point where I decide I want to try a Zelda game again. It happens every other year or so. Looking for recs, but keep in mind that I've absolutely hated Ocarina of Time every single time I've tried it. I don't know if it's just the overarching lore (in which case I'm probably just fucked and need to stop trying), or the auto-jumping, or the gameplay style of fetch-quests and logic puzzles, but something about OOT just pisses me right the fuck off. Also, maybe I'm just an idiot and not used to that type of game, but I feel like every time I've played a Zelda game in the past I've just been wandering around with both thumbs up my ass wondering where in the holy fuck to go. So, one of the more user-friendly, intuitive Zeldas would be nice, I think.

Hit me.

I found OoT to be the easiest in regards to knowing what you're actually doing (of the 3D era, that is), with Navi and that damn owl rammed down your throat constantly (about the only thing I dislike about the game, but even that is in a "love to hate it" kind of way).
For later games, I've needed to look up walkthroughs at least occasionally. Or maybe I've just gotten more impatient with games in my old age. :lol

But yeah, if you couldn't get into OoT, I agree with Super Dude that Zelda is probably not for you.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1156 on: June 11, 2014, 10:10:04 PM »
I still remember playing the first Zelda as a kid and not knowing where in the fuck I was supposed to go for anything so I just literally ran around randomly for ages until I eventually found something. Pre-internet gaming! :lol

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1157 on: June 11, 2014, 10:12:15 PM »
I found the post-N64 games to be far more user-friendly, actually.

Wind Waker might be a good choice... it's pretty easy and the dungeons aren't as complicated as the ones in the N64 games or Twilight Princess, but it's still really fun.

Or if you really want a simplified Zelda experience, you could try Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks.

Just whatever you do, don't do Majora's Mask. That's easily the least user-friendly 3D Zelda game, for pretty obvious reasons.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1158 on: June 11, 2014, 10:12:52 PM »
I still remember playing the first Zelda as a kid and not knowing where in the fuck I was supposed to go for anything so I just literally ran around randomly for ages until I eventually found something. Pre-internet gaming! :lol

Back in our day, we had to learn shit the hard way! And if it took you too many lives to learn your lesson the hard way, then you had to learn the extra hard way.

Just whatever you do, don't do Majora's Mask. That's easily the least user-friendly 3D Zelda game, for pretty obvious reasons.

No matter how many times I have attempted to play that game, I've never even made it to the first dungeon before giving up.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1159 on: June 11, 2014, 10:25:01 PM »

I was able to get through it (with difficulty mind you) when I was but a kid, and I sure as hell didn't know how to use the Internet at the time either. :lol

Though I do agree that it is not "user-friendly", especially compared to other 3D Zelda games. It doesn't necessarily have the open-worldness of the first NES game or Link to the Past, but still feels a bit more free-form in what you can do, and the dungeons are some of the more challenging in the entirety of the franchise. It can be a pain in the ass, but once you got it, damn what a great experience. There's a reason it's my favorite game of all time.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1160 on: June 11, 2014, 10:25:57 PM »
My first Zelda experiences were in very late 2003/early 2004 at the ripe old age of 5. For Christmas I received a platinum Gamecube which included the Zelda collector's edition. Since my parents had grown up with the original Zelda, they gravitated towards that. By the time I beat the game probably 5 years later (most of which was spent trying to get the damn recorder) I had accumulated the max amount of deaths that the front screen with count: 255. finding the dungeons was fairly easy after watching my dad play. Image to get up to Ganon but not beat him. I only ever used a walkthrough to get through death mountain.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #1161 on: June 12, 2014, 01:39:37 AM »
Original Legend Of Zelda and original Adventure Of Link on original NES.
I still hear the music inside my head thinking about those games. :hefdaddy

Greetings...
Nef

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1162 on: June 12, 2014, 04:29:26 AM »
I'm getting to that point where I decide I want to try a Zelda game again. It happens every other year or so. Looking for recs, but keep in mind that I've absolutely hated Ocarina of Time every single time I've tried it. I don't know if it's just the overarching lore (in which case I'm probably just fucked and need to stop trying), or the auto-jumping, or the gameplay style of fetch-quests and logic puzzles, but something about OOT just pisses me right the fuck off. Also, maybe I'm just an idiot and not used to that type of game, but I feel like every time I've played a Zelda game in the past I've just been wandering around with both thumbs up my ass wondering where in the holy fuck to go. So, one of the more user-friendly, intuitive Zeldas would be nice, I think.

Hit me.

I found OoT to be the easiest in regards to knowing what you're actually doing (of the 3D era, that is), with Navi and that damn owl rammed down your throat constantly (about the only thing I dislike about the game, but even that is in a "love to hate it" kind of way).
For later games, I've needed to look up walkthroughs at least occasionally. Or maybe I've just gotten more impatient with games in my old age. :lol

But yeah, if you couldn't get into OoT, I agree with Super Dude that Zelda is probably not for you.

Yep, there are many reasons - other than nostalgia - that OoT is still hailed as the greatest release in the series.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1163 on: June 12, 2014, 05:01:40 AM »

Hit me.

There are definitely a few moments in OoT where you have to figure out a pretty random thing the game wants you to do, though, so I can see why someone would say that.

A Link Between Worlds was both extremely fun and very hand-holding, for so someone who's used to modern games that spell everything out for you, I totally recommend that.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1164 on: June 12, 2014, 08:09:13 AM »
Okay, so Aonuma confirmed that the character in the trailer is indeed Link. So it looks like the Great Flood idea is out the window. While that's a shame, I still love Link's new design. I'd actually be disappointed if they end up going back to his traditional look. :lol

I wonder where the game is set in the timeline? :justjen
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1165 on: June 12, 2014, 11:52:00 AM »

Strongly disagreed. My first Zelda game was Twilight Princess (essentially a more modern version of OoT in hindsight), and trying out OoT afterwards felt like a downgrade in pretty much every sense. Couldn't get into it at all.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1166 on: June 12, 2014, 12:53:20 PM »
Good to get a confirmation that it's Link. I kinda figured it was some abstract, mostly meaningless comment; Aonuma likes to stir shit up with his philosophical comments on identity.  :lol Awesome though, I love the look and am glad it's good 'ole Link.  :smiley:

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1167 on: June 13, 2014, 12:58:12 AM »

Strongly disagreed. My first Zelda game was Twilight Princess (essentially a more modern version of OoT in hindsight), and trying out OoT afterwards felt like a downgrade in pretty much every sense. Couldn't get into it at all.

I replayed OoT right after playing WW and TTP back to back, and I was worried it wouldn't hold up, but for me it still totally did. Didn't feel like a downgrade at all, except obviously in graphics. In terms of gameplay, it's actually a much better structured and planned game than WW and TTP.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1168 on: June 13, 2014, 03:33:26 PM »
I'm kinda bummed about the Zelda U character not being Zelda herself; a small part of me hoped upon hope that Nintendo had finally noticed this:

https://imgur.com/gallery/DWnBO

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1169 on: June 13, 2014, 03:47:11 PM »
Oh god... to each their own, but that look pretty rancid to me. Especially that they included Gamelon in it... I like the attempt, but they've just taken bits from each Zelda game and other notable fantasy games, twisted them and mashed 'em up. There's nothing really innovative or actually new about it. People have been talking about playing as Zelda since the series started. Eh. I mean, I get the whole 'Zelda is the main character' aspect is what you were focusing on, and I'm up for that if done correctly, but the rest of it looked like fan-fiction to me. And I abhor fan-fiction...  :lol Really.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1170 on: June 13, 2014, 03:51:22 PM »
They should make a Legend Of Hilda spin-off where Hilda goes all action-girl and gets shit done in Lorule.   :metal
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1171 on: June 13, 2014, 06:51:03 PM »
Oh god... to each their own, but that look pretty rancid to me. Especially that they included Gamelon in it... I like the attempt, but they've just taken bits from each Zelda game and other notable fantasy games, twisted them and mashed 'em up. There's nothing really innovative or actually new about it. People have been talking about playing as Zelda since the series started. Eh. I mean, I get the whole 'Zelda is the main character' aspect is what you were focusing on, and I'm up for that if done correctly, but the rest of it looked like fan-fiction to me. And I abhor fan-fiction...  :lol Really.

Sure, but playing as a Sheikah!? That would be awesome!

Offline Cable

« Reply #1172 on: June 13, 2014, 09:35:33 PM »
Okay, so Aonuma confirmed that the character in the trailer is indeed Link. So it looks like the Great Flood idea is out the window. While that's a shame, I still love Link's new design. I'd actually be disappointed if they end up going back to his traditional look. :lol

I wonder where the game is set in the timeline? :justjen

That massive retcon job; yeah, great question!

Did they ever fully explain that "Link" and "Zelda" are reborn as a different person? Or were these Links supposed to be one person's normal lifespan, just that it split off into three timelines? I feel they need to fix that, because Link is SS is a teen, but he de-ages in the other games and in the WW branch?

I won't ever give full credence to the timeline unless they make a massive game to fully flesh out the story. In a review I read for Twilight Princess, the person called it another re-imagining of the story. I have ran with that concept, as it's easier to me to view the continuity failures as such, despite the story and characters being virtually the same. I never viewed Zelda as a model of any solid story telling anyway.

All of the Nintendo franchises are not known for great stories, just fun and great design. Metroid is the best I feel story wise, and even that is all over the place.
---

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1173 on: November 11, 2014, 07:32:16 AM »
I'm sure most of you have probably already heard about this, but Majora's Mask was finally confirmed to be getting a remake on the 3DS next year! :metal :hefdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj6cXziHpjQ

Can't wait! :tup
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1174 on: November 11, 2014, 07:51:32 AM »
I really need to start getting into 3DS stuff. A Link Between Worlds looks great, the OoT remake looks great, and I really should play MM again too, since I've only played through it the once back when it first released. Plenty of non-Zelda stuff on it aswell that I would probably be interested in no doubt.

I'm pretty far behind when it comes to gaming, infact I only just got around to playing and finishing Twilight Princess (originally released in 2006, holy shit :mehlin) and Skyward Sword back-to-back the last few months.

Twilight Princess was disappointing in pretty much every imaginable way. I enjoyed it enough to sink 22 hours and finish it but I can not rate it very highly at all. The world, the characters, the music all so disappointing, and that's just for starters. Easily the most underwhelming Ganondorf battle aswell, the first game notwithstanding. Don't even get me started. :lol

Skyward Sword had its own flaws, but overall it was a significantly better experience and much better game than Twilight Princess, even with the often forced motion controls.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1175 on: November 11, 2014, 07:53:02 AM »
Wow, I enjoyed Twilight Princess way more than Skyward Sword. SS was far too linear.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1176 on: November 11, 2014, 07:57:05 AM »
I haven't played SS (I don't know a Wii/Wii U), but Twilight Princess on GC is easily my second favourite behind OoT.
WW was very disappointing (even though I enjoyed it enough to finish it, as Bolsters was for TTP), and I always give up on MM pretty early on in the game, so I won't be bothering with the re-release.

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #1177 on: November 11, 2014, 08:01:55 AM »
I really need to start getting into 3DS stuff. A Link Between Worlds looks great, the OoT remake looks great, and I really should play MM again too, since I've only played through it the once back when it first released. Plenty of non-Zelda stuff on it aswell that I would probably be interested in no doubt.

I'm pretty far behind when it comes to gaming, infact I only just got around to playing and finishing Twilight Princess (originally released in 2006, holy shit :mehlin) and Skyward Sword back-to-back the last few months.

Twilight Princess was disappointing in pretty much every imaginable way. I enjoyed it enough to sink 22 hours and finish it but I can not rate it very highly at all. The world, the characters, the music all so disappointing, and that's just for starters. Easily the most underwhelming Ganondorf battle aswell, the first game notwithstanding. Don't even get me started. :lol

Skyward Sword had its own flaws, but overall it was a significantly better experience and much better game than Twilight Princess, even with the often forced motion controls.
Weird, this is like the exact opposite about how I feel about them.  To me TP took everything OOT did and improved upon it all.  I thought the 4-phase Ganon fight at the end was very satisfying too.  SS was wrought with hand-holding the entire time, Fi sucks a bunch, and the gameplay got very repetitive.
But if the dung comes out
He shits the death upon a man
Throw them a rag
Better to save the menstruate
Then surrender tuna sea crap
Whale!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1178 on: November 11, 2014, 08:03:58 AM »
Oh yeah, Fi was horrible. Also that just reminds how great Midna was, probably the best Zelda character ever.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1179 on: November 11, 2014, 08:05:22 AM »
At first I thought Midna would be another Navi, but Midna was the non suck version of Navi.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #1180 on: November 11, 2014, 08:09:32 AM »
Plus she had a personality, and actual character development.

Not that that's in any way necessary for a Zelda game, but it was cool nonetheless.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1181 on: November 11, 2014, 08:48:58 AM »
Tatl and the King of the Red Lions remain my two favorite 'guides' in the Zelda series. Both were interesting and developed characters, plus they're in my two favorite Zelda games, which add to my bias.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1182 on: November 11, 2014, 07:40:33 PM »
Wow, I enjoyed Twilight Princess way more than Skyward Sword. SS was far too linear.
That is actually one of my major gripes about Twilight Princess. Specifically, the dungeons are just so linear to the point of ridiculousness. I only remember a single point in the entire game where I was in a dungeon and didn't know where to go (an underwater section where I missed a tunnel), and even then that only lasted mere seconds while I searched for where to go. The dungeons were designed in a way where there's really only one way to go through them and even if you've never played them before, it's not even easy to figure out, there's nothing to actually figure out at all. I didn't have to think at all, I just followed the linear path that existed in every dungeon pretty much instinctively. As soon as you get a key you would find a door to put it in, and as soon as you found a door and didn't have a key, you'd immediately get a key (often in the same room). The map for The Temple of Time is literally just a straight line, and Hyrule Castle was so straightforward and short, and easy, that it's probably the most disappointing final dungeon in the series.

Before I played TP, I went online to find out how long the game took to finish. Most people were saying their first time took 40+ hours, and not 100%. People who had played the game several times before could do it in 20-25 hours. It took me on my first time 22 hours. I got through it so fast on my first time I basically did it as fast as people who have played the game before and knew what to do. That's how little of a challenge the game was, and the straightforward dungeons are the most significant contributing factor to that because the dungeons seemed to be the primary focus of TP.

Skyward Sword's problem is that the world is small and disjointed, and that you backtrack through those areas several times. But despite that I liked the design of those areas more than the areas in TP, most of which felt pretty baron and empty, and the dungeon design, while still not particularly challenging, is so much better in SS.

Edit: decided to respond to this aswell.

I thought the 4-phase Ganon fight at the end was very satisfying too.
I'm the opposite. :lol The final battle with Ganondorf was another of my biggest disappointments with TP. The first phase is basically the same as the Ganondorf fight from OoT except it's much easier - you don't have to hit the magic balls back as much and they don't speed up as much as they do in OoT. It also didn't do anything new with the tennis game, other than the fact it's Zelda being controlled. The second phase with the beast Ganon wasn't much, basically just roll him over and hit the weak spot. The third phase with him on a horse wasn't exciting for me either, just seemed like an excuse to remind us that Link can swing his sword on Epona again. All you have to do is follow Ganondorf, let Zelda hit him with an arrow, then slash away. Ganondorf doesn't do anything to fight back during this phase that is dangerous or can't be easily avoided so it's essentially just padding to make the fight longer.

Then the fourth is of course the swordfight, but as you may have guessed, there was nothing I liked about that either. :lol It actually pissed me off that they reduced this final showdown to a quicktime event - just wait for Ganondorf to charge then press A, then buttom mash A until you push him back, swing a couple times then repeat. The game even shows you onscreen when to press A and then to quickly press A.

Also, the setting for this final showdown didn't feel right either. In OoT Link faced Ganondorf at the top of his castle with his organ all the stained glass, and then Ganon on the crumbled remains of said tower surrounded by fire with a black, stormy sky (all of which looked pretty good considering it's N64). In Wind Waker, we go toe-to-toe with Ganondorf atop what is left of Hyrule, below the sea as water rains down and floods the remains of the kingdom for eternity. In Twilight Princess our final fight against Ganondorf takes place...in the middle of a field? :\ Not very epic at all.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 07:57:06 PM by Bolsters »

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1183 on: November 11, 2014, 08:05:40 PM »
In Twilight Princess our final fight against Ganondorf takes place...in the middle of a field? :\ Not very epic at all.

This is probably the only thing in your entire post that I disagree with. :lol While the fight itself (in terms of gameplay) wasn't much and I hated that they resorted to quick time events, they really nailed the atmosphere on this one. Wind Waker, no doubt, had a killer boss fight, but another fight in a castle would have felt a little overdone and not specifically anything out of the norm. The desolate landscape and the brooding storm--it really felt like shit was going down.

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #1184 on: November 12, 2014, 04:36:46 AM »
I don't know if it's because I finished the last dungeon plus Ganondorf about 3 months after continuously playing the rest of the game, but I found really nothing about the last parts of Wind Waker very "epic" at all.  Or really the whole game - wasn't designed to be "epic" in my opinion, just fun and generally light-hearted.
But if the dung comes out
He shits the death upon a man
Throw them a rag
Better to save the menstruate
Then surrender tuna sea crap
Whale!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1185 on: November 12, 2014, 05:13:50 AM »
As far as "epic" goes, the final battle of Wind Waker is second only to Ocarina of Time for me.

Ganondorf wanted revenge sure, but really all he cared about after his return was what he'd always wanted - control of Hyrule. Even with it trapped under the ocean to protect it from him, he still did his best to take control of it. Then at the last minute, it's snatched away from him and what little was left protected from the sea starts to flood, Hyrule being lost forever as a result. This was done by the last King of Hyrule no less, who would have rathered the forgotten kingdom be lost forever than let Ganondorf take it. So Ganondorf battles Link as this kingdom that Link fights to save in almost every other Zelda game is flooding and being destroyed, because what else can he do?

To me that's just :metal

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1186 on: November 12, 2014, 05:27:35 AM »
The Wind Waker definitely has an epic finale to it. Definitely my second favorite, as it features what is easily the best Ganondorf death in the franchise. SWORD TO THE FACE! :metal The Hero of Winds knows how to take someone down... with style. :hat

Surprising probably nobody though, the final battle of Majora's Mask is my personal favorite. It's so damn mysterious and haunting. There's an 'epic' vibe to it (I mean, it's the end of the world, how could it not?!), but it's more understated than Ocarina of Time or The Wind Waker. Plus that whole creepy dialogue about the Fierce Deity Mask... *shivers* :hefdaddy
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1187 on: November 17, 2014, 12:43:59 PM »
I am about 80% through Wind Waker. I still have about a third of the heart pieces left to collect, but will probably just go ahead and beat the game once I have 16 or 17 full containers. Won't try to complete this game 100% like I did with Majora's Mask.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #1188 on: November 23, 2014, 08:05:25 AM »
Beat Wind Waker last night. Really good game. Did anyone else find the triforce shard collecting at the end a little tedious?
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1189 on: November 23, 2014, 09:05:50 AM »
It's luckily no where near as bad as the original Gamecube version as it is on the Wii U, but I do feel it interrupts the flow of the game and just kind of comes off as the developers wanting to force you to explore all the islands they created. I'd rather have had another dungeon or two to recreate the Triforce of Courage myself.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.