Author Topic: Are the tabs accurate in Jammit?  (Read 2907 times)

Offline gnumarco

Are the tabs accurate in Jammit?
« on: May 23, 2013, 08:40:04 AM »
I just started to use Jammit, trying it with Pull me Under, what else?  ;D
My question reading the score is: is this absolutely accurate? Is the fingering for the guitar really the one John Petrucci uses?
Anyone had a look?

Offline TheDisposableHero

Re: Are the tabs accurate in Jammit?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 11:17:14 AM »
I would say they're hit and miss. I've found that they can get a lot of stuff right, but I've noticed in Jammit's tab of Holy Wars, they've got the fingering for Dave Mustaine's last big epic solo completely off. They have the chromatically ascending part building up to the end of the solo tabbed out as a sort of repeated three-string mini sweep instead of being played on the just the G and the B string like how Dave Mustaine plays it.

Also, they don't have John Myung's ascending bass run in the pre-chorus to Pull Me Under tabbed right. The sounds are right, but on the tab in Jammit it looks like it's moving to the G string, and then in the next measure it moves all the way to the 9th fret for the next flurry of notes. Very, very impractical. And most importantly, not the way Myung plays it. He plays where Petrucci plays on the neck in that part.

So to answer your question, they have all of the sounds of the notes transcribed right, but in some cases they aren't tabbed out in the correct fingering.

My best suggestion for you is to use Jammit as a reference. Jammit has a good idea of the getting all of the sounds right, and sometimes they get the solos right, and a lot of the times they tab out stuff you wouldn't have even picked up with you ear because of the isolated tracks. But do not use it as the end all be all of the transcription in regards to guitar and bass. The official tab books are probably the best bet for that, as they are transcribed by very accurate transcribers and have even had John Petrucci verify it himself in regards to the Black Clouds & Silver Linings tab book.

Although a suggestion of mine would be to look at what Petrucci and Myung are doing in live performances for the most accurate representation of how the music is played.

Hope this helps!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 08:05:25 PM »
^ Good advice, but it should be noted that not all the tab books are verified by Petrucci. Six Degrees and Train Of Thought weren't verified and have a bunch of mistakes. Not sure about the ones before that, but they should be okay. The tab books for everything after ToT are awesome though and a must for DT loving guitar players.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TheDisposableHero

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 01:22:23 AM »
I decided to double check who was involved in the transcription of all of the DT tab books and here's a list of the ones that are most readily available in the United States.

Images and Words: involved with John Petrucci
Awake: edited by John Petrucci
Falling Into Infinity: by three other guys
Scenes from a Memory: edited and verified by John Petrucci
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence: by some other person, but not verified by Petrucci and has errors
Train of Thought: by some other person, but not verified by Petrucci and has errors
Octavarium: by Jordan Baker (bakerman) and Ryan Maziarz of Progressive Transcriptions
John Petrucci's Suspended Animation: by Jordan Baker and Ryan Maziarz
Systematic Chaos: by Jordan Baker and Ryan Maziarz (also verified by John Petrucci)
Black Clouds & Silver Linings: by Jordan Baker and Ryan Maziarz (verified by Petrucci)
A Dramatic Turn of Events: by Jordan Baker and Ryan Maziarz (verified by Petrucci)

Also the Full Score Anthology and the Keyboard Anthology have both had involvement with Petrucci and Rudess respectively.

So basically the only ones that are really not good are Train of Thought and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. And I haven't totally double checked FII.

Offline 88 Keys

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 08:27:17 AM »
As far as keyboard goes, i would say it is 95% accurate

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 04:36:50 PM »
Anyone know how accurate the drum tabs are? I'm probably taking up the drum set again this fall and would love to know if Jammit is reliable for drums or not. Although they really don't have too many of the tracks I really want to learn, by DT. Might be better off buying MP's drum cam DVD's from each respective album :D
James LaBrie: It's Always an octave higher.