Author Topic: This sounds really bungled  (Read 625 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
This sounds really bungled
« on: May 22, 2013, 04:19:15 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2013/05/22/justice/florida-fbi-shooting-boston/index.html?c=&page=3

In short, the FBI investigate this guy who knows the Boston bombers and is suspected of the triple murders in Massachusetts. They follow him for days, then confront him for questioning, during which it becomes clear he murdered those people. He gets violent, and the FBI agent mows him over in self-defense.
There is of course the scenario where the guy suddenly whips out a gun and starts shooting, but I can't help but think that FBI agents facing a likely triple murderer would be prepared for such an event, especially if the guy had connections to a bomb-planting terrorist.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: This sounds really bungled
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 07:57:19 PM »
He confessed to the murder during the final interview, so I don't think they necessarily knew he had been involved. They also had no real reason to suspect he was involved in the bombing. To the FBI he was a person of interest, but not a big enough concert to have the HRT go storming through his house. They had an appointment to continue the interview, so it's likely they felt reasonably confident he wasn't a lunatic.

I'll assume they updated the article after you posted it, but they said that it was a knife. Apparently he flipped out, grabbed a knife off he counter and went at Johnny who subsequently shot him (my money is on 15 rounds, as is customary in these cases). The statement of his buddy, and the way that it seems to have gone down, suggests that he wasn't planning such a thing, but flipped out when the questioning turned to him going to prison. Grabbing a knife there was a spur of the moment deal, if not even suicide by cop.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 04:52:10 PM »
Why don't police have to wear vest cams that record all day (sort of like dash cams) so we really know what happens in situations like this? The Police in Wocott CT have them and it is requiredthat  they are turned on whenever they are pulling someone over.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 05:52:44 PM »
Cost is one thing. Privacy is another. The latter would change, though. Cops resisted dashcams until they figured out that if you're not crooked they're actually an asset to you.

I guess my question here is how many feds were present. If there was only one agent on the scene, then there's a serious issue with their SOP; that should never happen. If there are two or more, then a lunging suspect doesn't require 7 shots to the dome. Either way, I hope this guy's father keeps up the heat on them.
E.F. Benson