Author Topic: South Park Bigger Longer and Uncut  (Read 2184 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
South Park Bigger Longer and Uncut
« on: May 26, 2013, 02:04:06 PM »
I'm watching this for the first time in like 8 years.... This movie is fucking brilliant. The music is outstanding and I can't stop laughing. It really makes me realize just how much South Park has degraded. Granted, the new stuff is still funny, but it's no where near the level of this South Park era.

You can do it, it's all up to you mmmmkay.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: South Park Bigger Longer and Uncut
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 02:08:21 PM »
Mr. Hat...NOOOOOO!!!!
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 02:22:07 PM »
@OP: Rubbish.

SP was hilarious and original for the entire first season and much of the second season but somewhere between the latter half of the second season and the beginning of the third they became extremely reliant on schtick and really lost their Midas touch. Imo, the episode where they definitely pulled themselves out of the mire was Scott Tenorman Must Die (which was from early in the fifth season.) Ever since then, they've still made plenty of dud episodes but the hit-to-miss ratio is right on par with those first two golden seasons before they seemed to hit a creative brick wall.

SP:BLaU was pretty damn good though and I guess it could be for any combination of these possibilites:

1. They began writing it when they still were on that creative hot streak since, although the movie came out in summer '99, they very well could've been writing it since '97.

2. They may have been putting the lion's share of their good material into the movie while the episodes of the series that aired while they were writing the movie were getting the leftover scraps.

3. Given how busy and eager to work on new projects they were (Baseketball, Orgazmo, Team America, DVDA's music, etc.), they may have had a complacent attitude toward SP and figured an early death for it could help them avoid being pigeonholed as "Those South Park guys." (The side projects I listed were just for the sake of providing proof of their craving for branching out. I realize most of those didn't surface until later on.)
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline PetFish

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 02:26:28 PM »
Absolutely a fantastic movie!

Who would have thought it could be more of a musical than anything and actually work?

Possibly the greatest and most-offensive movie line of all time:  "I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die."  Man, the "ooooooohhhhhhhhh" groans in the audience I was with is unforgettable cuz it was followed by so much laughing.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 02:40:16 PM »
@black_floyd

I respectfully disagree. I believe seasons three and four were the pinnacle of SP.

I will agree on the STMD episode. That particular episode is definitely in my top 5.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 03:21:33 PM »
I must be one of the only ones who did not like STMD.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 03:41:41 PM »
I must be one of the only ones who did not like STMD.

Dog shit tacoo..

Blood drip frozen tampon popsicleeee

:heart

Drunk

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 04:00:28 PM »
"Now say, horsefucker."
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 04:47:38 PM »
BARBARA STREISAND
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 04:53:06 PM »
"careful....... careful like my mother was when she stabbed me in the heart with a coat hanger while I was still in the womb...."

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 05:41:12 PM »
I first saw the film when I was 9 and dumb me was too young, immature and naive to really appreciate its genius. It was until later in life that I feel in love with it. Really genius stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 02:42:18 PM »
I've been a huge SP fan since the beginning but for some reason, I never saw the movie until like 5 years after release. I still remember my first viewing and when the Uncle Fucjer song came on and just how hard I was laughing. Classic.

And SP pinnacled in season 8 IMO.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 06:42:47 AM »

SP was hilarious and original for the entire first season and much of the second season but somewhere between the latter half of the second season and the beginning of the third they became extremely reliant on schtick and really lost their Midas touch. Imo, the episode where they definitely pulled themselves out of the mire was Scott Tenorman Must Die (which was from early in the fifth season.) Ever since then, they've still made plenty of dud episodes but the hit-to-miss ratio is right on par with those first two golden seasons before they seemed to hit a creative brick wall.
It's interesting to me that my opinion on the show is the exact opposite. When I marathon'd through the series on Netflix (over the course of a few years, mind you), I found the first and second seasons to be pretty awful, but I stuck with it because it was apparently supposed to be really good. For the most part, the first and second season were just silly stories and toilet humor. It wasn't until the third season where they really found their satirical wings and pushed the show into the stratosphere.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 11:30:37 PM »

It's interesting to me that my opinion on the show is the exact opposite. When I marathon'd through the series on Netflix (over the course of a few years, mind you), I found the first and second seasons to be pretty awful, but I stuck with it because it was apparently supposed to be really good. For the most part, the first and second season were just silly stories and toilet humor. It wasn't until the third season where they really found their satirical wings and pushed the show into the stratosphere.
I totally agree. I recall, in high school how classmates loved the show during those first couple seasons. Then I was over at someone's house that had cable, saw an episode being aired, then went "this is garbage; toilet humor plus bad drawings." Later I saw the movie and thought it was brilliant.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 07:50:46 AM »
I loved the first seasons when they came out but I was only a kid in 7th grade and the potty humor was great. Now, I find those seasons to be unwatchable. The humor is still just foul language. South park really started getting clever during the 3rd season and on when the show added more depth and of course kept the foul language but that's fine as long as there's something more to it.