Author Topic: Rush vs. Australia  (Read 640 times)

Offline JoshuaB2112

Rush vs. Australia
« on: May 21, 2013, 09:41:28 PM »
I was introduced to Rush through Guitar Hero 5. I was 14 then, and I'm 18 now and they're still my favourite band of all time. From there, I discovered Prog Rock in the traditional and modern groupings, and that led me to Dream Theater. It seems only recently that Rush is starting to get the recognition from Australians that is long overdue. There were tons of Rush fans at the Yes concert in melbourne last year and I assume many aussie DT fans also have a deep appreciation for the holy trinity. This thread is just for Aussies to geek out on Rush, complain about their lack of radio promotion, and provide the evidence that a long-overdue australian tour would work, even if the show had to be adapted for the oceanic touring circut. Post away!

PS: Here's me doing an acoustic cover of Spirit of Radio. If you are also a musician who can play more than a few prog rock tunes, don't be afraid to tell me! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCvhiVIyEKc

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Rush vs. Australia
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 03:57:41 AM »
Damn, I thought this thread was about Rush dates in Australia.  >:(

Anyway, yeah, I haven't met anyone that is a Rush fan to be honest, I think they aren't that popular down here, not sure how a tour would go, there's no way they would fill stadiums like they do overseas.

Although saying all that, I think CA sold quite well and got on the JB HI Fi sales chart, so who knows.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 05:30:05 AM »
Rush do need to tour outside North America more. Some of the recent US dates have been in smaller venues, so I can't see that being a problem for them.

"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 09:36:47 AM »
Rush has never visited my country. EVER.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 09:45:03 AM »
Rush has never visited my country. EVER.

Really? They come around my city all the time. I swear, each time I see a date announced, I'm all "fuck man, Rush again!!!" :biggrin:

Offline JoshuaB2112

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 06:38:45 PM »

Anyway, yeah, I haven't met anyone that is a Rush fan to be honest, I think they aren't that popular down here, not sure how a tour would go, there's no way they would fill stadiums like they do overseas.

Although saying all that, I think CA sold quite well and got on the JB HI Fi sales chart, so who knows.

Really? I only checked the ARIA chart. If it got on the JB charts, then there is literally no reason for them NOT to come here!

I guess the fact that most aussies are discovering them through word of mouth, youtube and MP3s mean that their cult following isn't really reflected in terms of sales. And unless they do a co-headlining set with DT, Kiss, Maiden, the foos or some other well-known international act, they'll never fill arenas.

In a few weeks they're doing the Sweden Rock Festival sharing a bill with Kiss, Europe and Aisa. It's their first european festival in 35 years, and Geddy said yesterday in an interview that if all goes well, they'll consider doing more festival shows in contries they haven't played before. I don't think they'll be at Bluesfest anytime soon, but I'm sure either Soundwave or the Stone Music festival would be happy to have them.

Next year is their 40th anniversary tour. If they are going to come to oz, it's now or never.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 05:20:50 PM »

Really? I only checked the ARIA chart. If it got on the JB charts, then there is literally no reason for them NOT to come here!

I guess the fact that most aussies are discovering them through word of mouth, youtube and MP3s mean that their cult following isn't really reflected in terms of sales. And unless they do a co-headlining set with DT, Kiss, Maiden, the foos or some other well-known international act, they'll never fill arenas.

In a few weeks they're doing the Sweden Rock Festival sharing a bill with Kiss, Europe and Aisa. It's their first european festival in 35 years, and Geddy said yesterday in an interview that if all goes well, they'll consider doing more festival shows in contries they haven't played before. I don't think they'll be at Bluesfest anytime soon, but I'm sure either Soundwave or the Stone Music festival would be happy to have them.

Next year is their 40th anniversary tour. If they are going to come to oz, it's now or never.

They won't going anywhere in 2014. 
Geddy said around the Snakes and Arrows Tour that Austrailia was being considered, but that was the last time anyone mentioned it.

Offline TL

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 11:27:01 AM »
To be fair, before their upcoming show here in Halifax in July, they hadn't even been to Nova Scotia in 25 years, and it's in their home country.