Author Topic: Phil Collins "I quit music but nobody will miss me"  (Read 3227 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Phil Collins "I quit music but nobody will miss me"
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2013, 01:41:33 PM »
Oh, I see the condescending KNH is back. Yay for all of us.  :tdwn :tdwn

Besides, saying, "He'll never know..." implies that he never has or never will know.  Adding an "again" in there would have implied what you are saying you meant, so perhaps you should be more clear next time.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2013, 01:42:57 PM »
Ignoring the $$ aspect, he did get to do what he loved for the majority of his life. Not many people in any profession can say that.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2013, 01:48:40 PM »
Ignoring the $$ aspect, he did get to do what he loved for the majority of his life. Not many people in any profession can say that.

Right, despite the badgering I'm taking here from some quarters, and the blatant misinterpretation and selective quoting of what I wrote, I don't harbor any ill will towards the man whatsoever.  He lived the life for decades.   The "I quit music but nobody will miss me" stuff just sounds a bit like someone who has maybe lost perspective.  I'm sure that means I've called him an axe murderer now, though  :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2013, 02:34:11 PM »
uh, you completely misinterpreted what I wrote.   You also selectively clipped it.  Nice work.

All I did was cut
"He has had a long and very successful career and is free to basically do whatever he wants, whenever he wants to do it" down to
"He... is free to basically do whatever he wants, whenever he wants to do it" because that's the part that I was focusing on, to provide context.  The fact that he has had a long and very successful career is irrelevant.  You say that he is free to do whatever he wants, whenever he wants, and that is exactly wrong, and that was point I was addressing.

I'm pretty sure I didn't completely misinterpret what you wrote, unless you weren't trying to make it sound like he should just stop complaining because he's rich, despite the fact that he's a musician who will never play again.

You say you're being badgered and there's blatant misinterpretation and selective quoting going on.  Seriously?  What am I missing?

Offline tedesco23

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2013, 08:50:58 PM »
For you, the blind who once could see
The bell tolls for thee

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2013, 09:29:32 PM »
Collins is awesome. Anyway, he has my sympathy. Being out of work for three months brought me to absolute misery awhile back. Can't imagine how it feels knowing you can't work at all anymore.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2013, 09:52:37 PM »
I'd imagaine the myriad of divorce settlements are a contributing factor....

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2013, 12:34:54 PM »
Collins is awesome. Anyway, he has my sympathy. Being out of work for three months brought me to absolute misery awhile back. Can't imagine how it feels knowing you can't work at all anymore.

This exactly. It must be especially horrible if it's something you absolutely love doing too.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2013, 12:00:26 PM »
I'll miss him, I liked Genesis way more with Phil at the front.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2013, 07:50:06 PM »

This exactly. It must be especially horrible if it's something you absolutely love doing too.

I dunno. Most people miss work because it means they can't afford to live. I'm sure Phil won't mind being out of work in his enormous mansion and bulging bank account.

I assume he can still sing ? If he does guest vocals / lead vocals here and there - that might keep the wolves from the door of the West Wing of his mansion... In Spain... :P

I was in bands from 1997 up until last year and I never got anywhere near any kind of success with any of them. Eventually I got absolutely sick of starting over in new bands and sold my drumkit. Seriously considering selling my guitars and amp too because I just don't enjoy playing music any more.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2013, 08:02:20 PM »
And that's exactly the point. You don't miss music because you were dissatisfied with your personal experiences with it. Had you achieved all that he did, it'd be much harder to leave it all behind. Also, isn't the main health problem his back? If so, it seems like it'd be hard to sing consistently well if your diaphragm is constantly inflating and exerting pressure on the surrounding skeleton.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2013, 11:09:04 AM »
Listening to Domino right now. The second half is out-of-this-world good.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2013, 11:17:08 AM »
All great musicians will be missed at some point, in one way or another.  Phil Collins was (is) a great musician.  He will be missed by many.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2013, 12:22:21 PM »
All great musicians will be missed at some point, in one way or another.  Phil Collins was (is) a great musician.  He will be missed by many.

Yup, the Tarzan song.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD