Author Topic: Phil Collins "I quit music but nobody will miss me"  (Read 3228 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Phil Collins "I quit music but nobody will miss me"
« on: May 16, 2013, 02:12:52 PM »
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-news/8357227/Phil-Collins-I-quit-music-but-no-one-will-miss-me.html
(I know, kinda old news, 2011)

Sad to read that he thinks of himself that way. I mean sure, his late stuff was really saccharine, but that doesn't negate the fact that this man was the mastermind of one of the most excellent bands in music history, Genesis. And his early solo stuff was truly excellent too. It's when he start singing constantly about breakups that it got a bit too much.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Phil Collins "I quit music but nobody will miss me"
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 02:19:48 PM »
I will miss you Phil Collins  :'(

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 02:55:26 PM »
Wow, way to age gracefully bro. I am sure getting old and not being able to do what you live sucks, but that isn’t a reason to give a shit about what Noel Gallagher thinks about you. Your life and legacy will on through your music and your fans. Maybe not much solace, but hold your head up, man.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 03:03:04 PM »

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 03:05:00 PM »
One of the best concert dvds i've seen:

Phil Collins - The First Farewell Tour - Paris - 2004

Enough said.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 03:31:01 PM »
Ah yea Mr Leland Sklar!  :metal :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 03:33:26 PM »
So Father Time plays bass?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 03:33:59 PM »
PC always had excellent live musicians. Darryl Stuermer is pretty awesome too, as well as Chester Thompson.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 03:39:41 PM »
Yea every one is top notch.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 04:23:33 PM »
Phil has been fighting major depression since his health issues basically forced him to retire.  He's no longer physically capable of playing or even singing anymore without a lot of pain, so he just doesn't do it.  Anyone who's seen any videos of him playing the drums has noticed that weird, slouching position he always adopted.  Well, 30-40 years of playing like that has caused permanent damage to his spine.

I imagine him sitting around, bored, lonely, and clinically depressed, and firing up some old videos perhaps in an attempt to relive the glory days, and hating the person he sees on screen.  He does have something of a point: for a while, he was fucking everywhere, doing everything, playing on everyone's albums, producing everyone's albums, including his own, and yeah, a lot of people got pretty sick of him.  That's the nature of the business; when something or someone is hot, they beat it to death, until no one likes it anymore.  Rather than simply be embarassed by his overexposure, or even proud of his many accomplishments, he instead empathizes with all those who say they hate him.

It's sad.  He was amazing, and he has a great legacy, but in his depressed state, he only focuses on the negative.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 04:30:41 PM »
Surely no one can forget the man who forged the backbone of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoHdC9hCQNA

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 06:04:09 PM »
One of the best concert dvds i've seen:

Phil Collins - The First Farewell Tour - Paris - 2004

Enough said.

Watching now, cool DVD. Looks like the borrowed Mr. Screen from Pink Floyd lol

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 06:14:45 PM »
Wow, way to age gracefully bro. I am sure getting old and not being able to do what you live sucks, but that isn’t a reason to give a shit about what Noel Gallagher thinks about you. Your life and legacy will on through your music and your fans. Maybe not much solace, but hold your head up, man.

Man fuck Noel Gallagher. For a dude who made his name being in a glorified Beatles cover band, he surely is throwing stones from a house with the thinnest of glass walls.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 06:20:35 PM by black_floyd »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 07:10:23 PM »
Great solo album though.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2013, 01:51:34 AM »

Man fuck Noel Gallagher. For a dude who made his name being in a glorified Beatles cover band, he surely is throwing stones from a house with the thinnest of glass walls.

No shit - Noel Gallagher is a cunt of major proportions, and pretty much always has been.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2013, 04:01:40 AM »
Quote from: Phil Collins
David Letterman wanted me to go on his show on a Monday night recently but I said, "No. Can't do it. I have the kids on a Monday." And my label said, "But this is Letterman!" And I was like, "Guess what? I. Don't. Give. A. F---!"
:coolio

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2013, 08:52:56 AM »
Say what you want about Phil Collins, but the guy is a legend in the pop scene and the prog scene.  How many artists can say that??

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2013, 10:05:27 AM »
Not many.

The guy is seriously talented, and it's heartbreaking to know that he literally cannot make music anymore.  I can't even imagine.  It reminds me of the play "Whose Life Is It Anyway?" (later a movie starring Richard Dreyfuss) about a sculptor who gets in an accident and becomes a quadraplegic.  His entire life, his entire reason for being is to create, and he can no longer do that.  It's not just sad, it's torture, torment.  The drive to create his art is still in him, and he cannot act on it.  Eventually, he files a suit for the right to be euthanized.  Hopefully Phil won't get to that point.

Awesome that he'd rather spend time with his kids (hey, it's Monday, I have the kids on Mondays) than go on the Letterman show.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2013, 11:09:31 AM »
Phil Collins is, and will always be, one of my favorite drummers-on occasion he IS my favorite-and it is a shame that the man can't make music anymore. And yeah, just let me take the opportunity to say "fuck Neal Gallagher."  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2013, 11:39:21 AM »
What exactly did Noel Gallagher say about Phil?  It was referenced in the article but not quoted.  I assume it was not flattering.

Also, who the fuck is Noel Gallagher?  The name sounds familiar, but that's about it.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2013, 11:46:18 AM »
Well if i say Oasis, a bell may ring for you.  :)

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2013, 11:47:11 AM »
What exactly did Noel Gallagher say about Phil?  It was referenced in the article but not quoted.  I assume it was not flattering.

Also, who the fuck is Noel Gallagher?  The name sounds familiar, but that's about it.

One of the two brothers from Oasis. Both are notorious for being total cockbags, to the point that Oasis is no more because they were both so egotistical that they fought too much to keep it together.  :lol

Offline Jaq

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2013, 11:47:25 AM »
Noel Gallagher was the leader of Oasis, and while I don't remember the exact quote, it was right disparaging. The fact that someone who spent most of his career thinking he was both Lennon AND McCartney insulting any other musician never ceases to amuse me.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2013, 11:56:44 AM »
I've heard of Oasis.  That's about it.  I think I remember something about how they thought they were the next Beatles or something, but obviously that's just stupid.  There will never be another Beatles, and anyone stupid enough to think so is just an idiot.

And if they think their own band is "the next Beatles" then I'm sorry but they've gone full retard.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2013, 11:58:07 AM »
Knowing the Gallaghers, they probably thought they were better than the Beatles. Their egos were that big back then.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2013, 12:02:57 PM »
I thought it was just Noel who was the massive head?

My sister was big in to them, but I couldn't tell you one of their songs. Doing a little wiki'ing shows they were big in England for a stretch, but doesn't look like they were anywhere near as big elsewhere.

When I hear the name Gallagher, I don't think Oasis, I think watermelons.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2013, 12:11:57 PM »
Eh, I was always under the impression that they were both dicks. That said, I do like the band (and as I said, Noel's 2011 solo album was really damn good.), it's just the ego I can't stand.

Um, er... back to Phil? Sorry.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2013, 12:29:34 PM »
I always say "you should not judge another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes" but I've gotta be honest:  It's pretty hard to feel sorry for someone like Phil Collins.  He's rich beyond anyone's wildest dreams.  He'll never know what it's like to really want for anything.  He has had a long and very successful career and is free to basically do whatever he wants, whenever he wants to do it.

Yeah, it must really suck to be Phil Collins  :|

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2013, 12:32:16 PM »
As they always say, money can't buy happiness.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2013, 01:05:39 PM »
He... is free to basically do whatever he wants, whenever he wants to do it.

Yeah, it must really suck to be Phil Collins  :|

Have you even read the thread?  He wants to make music, just as all musicians do, and he can't do it.  He cannot physically do it anymore.

So yeah, it does suck to be him.  Way to bash on someone fighting clinical depression.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2013, 01:20:09 PM »
uh, you completely misinterpreted what I wrote.   You also selectively clipped it.  Nice work.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2013, 01:23:33 PM »
As they always say, money can't buy happiness.

But it CAN buy the best medical and psychological treatment available on this planet.  When he goes on like this he just seems to be wallowing in self-pity when he could be helping himself instead.  Most people with issues like his would just have to suck it up and live it with.  Money can't buy happiness, no, but it can buy quite a bit of creature comfort and more care and assistance than the average joe.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2013, 01:25:29 PM »
"He'll never know what it's like to really want for anything."  Really?  Yeah, I am sure he was just rolling in cash for the bulk of the 70s when Genesis was just an obscure prog band (they didn't really hit it big until 1978, and Collins himself was not a household name until well into the 80s, when he was well over 30). 

Translation: he was not rich by any stretch of the imagination for probably half of his life, so even though he is now, to say, "He'll never know what it's like to really want for anything," doesn't really make much sense.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2013, 01:34:03 PM »
Do you understand tense or conjunctions?

"He'll" = He will

Meaning, you know, from now on. 

Also, yeah, Genesis didn't "hit it big" until 1978 and that was only 30 years ago :rollin   That's practically last week