Author Topic: How I Met Your Mother  (Read 3004 times)

Online fadetoblackdude7

How I Met Your Mother
« on: May 16, 2013, 02:33:18 AM »
I only just got into this show last year. I thought it was only a couple years old, and I was shocked when I found out that they're 8 seasons in! I started watching a few episodes on Netflix, and I was immediately hooked. This is rare, since I don't watch TV nearly as much as I did when I was younger.

I LOVE this show. Everything from the characters to the in-depth writing to the on-running gags are brilliant. When I started watching from the beginning, I had never gotten into a show so fast and had gotten so used to the characters as I had with this show. So let's show some love for, IMO, the greatest sitcom on current television!

If there is a thread for this already, delete this thread.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
Re: How I Met Your Mother
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 06:25:13 AM »
Loved the first 3 seasons.
S4 was aight.
S5 was bad. From then on I just watched to see when the fuck the mother was going to appear.
They have stretched it long enough but we got one more season to go.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 07:03:28 AM »
Tried watching it, but NPH's character gets old fast.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 08:52:24 AM »
I agree that this is one of the best sitcoms out there. And all seasons from 1-7 are great.

However, much of season 8 really disappointed me. I mean, there's some great moments, but felt overall weak.

How spoilerish are we allowed to be here? 'Cause some pretty monumental events aired recently.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 10:19:35 AM »
Major spoilers on season 9, don't read if you want to be surprised next year:

The entire season will take place over the wedding weekend. ...that's just crazy, but I have to say it gives me hope that it'll make things fresh. Could be a disaster in waiting, though.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 10:23:19 AM »
Rewarched 1-7, honestly love the show, thought season 8 was really good and DAT FINALE. Season 9 shall be a long wait

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 10:30:01 AM »
I love this show so much. Just started series 8  :laugh:

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 10:40:43 AM »
Season 1-3 were great but it wen't downhill rapidly after that. I still watch it but after every episode I ask myself why I even still bother.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 10:42:57 AM »

The entire season will take place over the wedding weekend. ...that's just crazy, but I have to say it gives me hope that it'll make things fresh. Could be a disaster in waiting, though.

How.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 10:43:34 AM »
DAT FINALE.
If theres something HIMYM does right, is finales.
The best finale from almost any sitcom I have seen has to be "The Leap" from S4.

They already did something like that during an episode from S7 and it was horrible. Let's wait and see.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 10:44:39 AM »
Given how late I started watching the show, I've only seen Seasons 1-7 because I ran out and bought all of the DVDs lol. Can't wait to see 8 and 9, however I pretty much know what happens in 8.

Idk why people were so impatient over finding out who the mother is....it was pretty clear from the start that the reveal wouldn't come until towards the end.

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 10:47:30 AM »
Given how late I started watching the show, I've only seen Seasons 1-7 because I ran out and bought all of the DVDs lol. Can't wait to see 8 and 9, however I pretty much know what happens in 8.

Idk why people were so impatient over finding out who the mother is....it was pretty clear from the start that the reveal wouldn't come until towards the end.
Victoria was supossed to be the mother, and Stella too.
It's obvious she was gonna be the last person Ted dates, but the network is dragging it a lot, even Jason Segel wants out of the show now.
And theres a lot of plotholes and... and...
I just wanted Ted and Robin to end up together in TWEEEST at the end or something  :'(

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 10:53:47 AM »

It's obvious she was gonna be the last person Ted dates, but the network is dragging it a lot, even Jason Segel wants out of the show now.
I just wanted Ted and Robin to end up together in TWEEEST at the end or something  :'(

I see what you mean. Still, I never get bored by the show because of the intelligent writing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 10:55:12 AM »
I used to enjoy the show, back in the earlier seasons. I've never thought of the show as funny though. A lot of it comes off as "thats supposed to be funny, because it's outrageous" when something happens. Like I know a lot of people think Barney is the funniest character ever, but a lot of the stuff he does is just "its funny because its so stupid, and nobody would do that IRL".

And yeah, this show has been going on a bit too long as well. At least in the earlier seasons there would be times where I giggled, because it had some comedy, but the last couple of seasons have just been really dull. I haven't seen all episodes, but I tend to see it on TV fairly often, since they show it a lot here.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 10:56:13 AM »

How.
Who knows, but it's not even a rumor, a producer said it and the CBS president confirmed it.

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 10:59:59 AM »
I used to enjoy the show, back in the earlier seasons. I've never thought of the show as funny though. A lot of it comes off as "thats supposed to be funny, because it's outrageous" when something happens. Like I know a lot of people think Barney is the funniest character ever, but a lot of the stuff he does is just "its funny because its so stupid, and nobody would do that IRL".

And yeah, this show has been going on a bit too long as well. At least in the earlier seasons there would be times where I giggled, because it had some comedy, but the last couple of seasons have just been really dull. I haven't seen all episodes, but I tend to see it on TV fairly often, since they show it a lot here.
The funniest Barney moment to me, was the whole Karate Kid Speech. That had me rolling on the flor for minutes.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 02:43:16 PM »
Barney Stinson is right up there with Kramer for my all-time awesome TV characters list.

I absolutely love the quick pace of this show.  The comedy is often so quick and subtle and if you're not paying attention you miss stuff.

I also didn't start really watching it until around Season 6 so after kicking myself for not watching it sooner I'm all-in and love it.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2013, 11:02:12 PM »
Barney Stinson is right up there with Kramer for my all-time awesome TV characters list.

I absolutely love the quick pace of this show.  The comedy is often so quick and subtle and if you're not paying attention you miss stuff.

I also didn't start really watching it until around Season 6 so after kicking myself for not watching it sooner I'm all-in and love it.

Completely agree.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2013, 12:51:48 AM »
I really hate this show.

...and that's all I have to say about that /gump.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2013, 09:41:10 PM »
I love the show, an probably because I see so much of myself in Ted.

The story arc involving Marshall's dad's death was about as poignant story in a sit-com I've ever seen.  I actually called my dad the next day, and appearently so did two of my friends.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2013, 01:18:20 AM »
Yeah. Lily getting out of the cab to tell Marshal about that all teared up and when Marshall thinks his dad's final voice message is a pocket dial are two really powerful moments.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2013, 05:26:20 AM »
I love the show, an probably because I see so much of myself in Ted.

The story arc involving Marshall's dad's death was about as poignant story in a sit-com I've ever seen.  I actually called my dad the next day, and appearently so did two of my friends.

Why did your friends call your dad?

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2013, 09:15:58 AM »

Even though it's been disproven about a dozen times and Robin is infertile?  :lol

I'm glad they picked who they did.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2013, 10:35:42 AM »
I'm glad it wasn't Victoria....I don't like her.

And from the beginning, he referred to Robin as 'Aunt Robin' so we knew all along it's not her.

Offline Cable

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2013, 11:43:01 AM »
Wow, it took awhile for this to have it's own thread? I suppose I could have started one.

Absolutely love it, have all the seasons and rewatch it.

Agreed fully.

And what I do love about the show the most is the reoccurring stuff. Like in the last episode of season 8, Lily drops the "where's the poop?" line with Ted. The little stuff like that, and the websites, podcasts etc make the show involved.

And while mostly it is raunchy humour, you have the stuff that happened in season 6 that is pretty emotional.
---

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2013, 01:15:06 PM »
I'm really picky with my sitcoms, but I love this show.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2013, 04:12:59 PM »
There was an old thread for the show, but it probably had a lot of complaining about no reveal for so long anyways.

Offline Cable

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2013, 07:21:07 AM »
What did everyone think of the casting choice for the mother? I read some initial harsh opinions...
---

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2013, 07:54:32 AM »
Loved this show out of the gate, but the last couple seasons have been a lot more hit and miss (and more of the latter than the former). I was glad to see them finally show the mother the other night, but I'm not a fan of the fact that the entirety of next season will cover the last 56 hours up through Barney's wedding.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2013, 09:13:57 AM »
What did everyone think of the casting choice for the mother? I read some initial harsh opinions...

She was fine. I'll form my opinion further once I hear her speak more and interact with the rest of the cast.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2013, 11:49:25 AM »

I don't understand how anyone could be harsh, considering we haven't seen her do anything besides buy a train ticket yet :lol It's smart of them to pick an unknown for the role imo, and one of the reasons she got the part was that she tested really well on camera with Josh Radnor, which leads me to hope that there'll be ample flashforwards next season as they cover Barney's wedding.

Also, this is as random as it is awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJT4L7HGKzQ
Photobucket sucks.