Poll

Which vocalist do you prefer?

Billy Joel
11 (64.7%)
Elton John
6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Classic Rock Vocal Showdown #8: Joel vs John  (Read 509 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Classic Rock Vocal Showdown #8: Joel vs John
« on: May 15, 2013, 05:44:24 AM »
Now it's time for the two 'piano men'.  Two totally different song-writing styles for sure.  I saw Elton John's Caesar's Palace show a few years back, and it was a surreal experience.  The only way I can describe it is by saying it was like stepping into his mind in the 70s when he was on the mother-of-all-high's.  It was weird.  Not bad, but not good either.  Just plain fuckin weird.

None-the-less, I know John's inventory more than I know Joel's.  Coupled with the fact that Joel seemed to cater to more to a pop/commercial audience, I'm going with the weirdo.

Could be another landslide here.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline masterthes

Re: Classic Rock Vocal Showdown #8: Joel vs John
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 07:09:04 AM »
Now, this will be a closer matchup, but I prefer Elton's voice a bit more than Billy

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 07:28:26 AM »
Billy Joel, by a lot.  I was never a huge Elton John fan, although he does have quite a few songs that I like.  Meanwhile, I have always loved a lot of Billy Joel's music, and he has one of my favorite voices in pop or rock.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 08:25:04 AM »
Don't know as either of them are necessarily better singers than the other. What I do know is that one wrote great lyrics, while the other had Bernie Topin write lyrics that were often completely incomprehensible.

Bonus points for writing a song about deflowering Catholic school girls.

Billy Joel
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 09:33:01 AM »
This one might be closer, but I went for Joel. Really the only Elton John album I'm into is Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, while I like most of Joel's discography.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 09:38:51 AM »
I'm glad someone else feels the same about Elton's (Bernie's) lyrics. I generally like his music, but never cared much for his songs, largely due to the lyrics and vocal melodies.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 11:55:07 AM »
I love Billy Joel, don't get me wrong.  I have more of a connection with Elton John, and I couldn't care less if most of Bernie's lyrics were incomprehensible.

Elton FTW.