Author Topic: SF Bay Area Viewing Party (Live at Luna Park) v. Nov. 9th, 2013!  (Read 10865 times)

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
I was sitting around at my new house rental today, enjoying the "theater room" I just completed when it occurred to me: there are a handful of DTF'ers in and around the SF Bay Area, why not have a potluck viewing party!  :corn

I'll provide the pad, drinks and burrito fixings, a 98" projection screen, BluRay copy of the show, sweet sound, and a chance for members to hang out!

UPDATE

*Show Time*

Saturday, November 9th at 1 PM

Guest List
Fiery Winds
yeshaberto
bosk1
Stereo Steve
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 01:00:32 PM by Fiery Winds »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: SF Bay Area Viewing Party (Live at Luna Park)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 09:28:13 AM »
I'm so there in spirit.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 09:40:39 AM »
Way to depress the fans from the rest of the world  :sadpanda:

But seriously, you should totally go for it. Sounds like something to remember!
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 09:42:49 AM »
I'm down

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 09:50:39 AM »
I'm down

Well, if you're going, I might have to find a way myself.  I would say that it should be mandatory for lonestar to bring some hors d'oeuvres, but he'll probably be working.  :(
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 09:58:52 AM »
You wouldn't have a quantum teleportation device nearby?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Ħ

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 10:05:05 AM »
How I wish, how I wish I was there. But alas, not this time. This is a cool idea that DTF should pick up on, though!
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 10:17:41 AM »
Ahh you could stream it....
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline pierre59172

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 10:26:09 AM »
I wish I could lived in SF.. But not the case currently, maybe in 10-15 years when it will be DT20 time ! =D

Great idea by the way

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 11:07:14 AM »
I wish I could lived in SF.. But not the case currently, maybe in 10-15 years when it will be DT20 time ! =D

By the time this dvd comes out...

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 11:08:57 AM »
But seriously, you should totally go for it. Sounds like something to remember!

ROAAAAR!
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 11:35:19 AM »
I'm hoping to find a date/time that works for all those who want to go, so once we have a release date, those interested should PM me for the address and their available days.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 11:43:07 AM »
Well, before we worry about availble days, it might be nice to actually have a release date for the DVD.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 11:49:37 AM »

What they said.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 11:56:01 AM »

What they said.

It's not really going to be a party without you guys there, so I would recommend finding a way.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 12:01:10 PM »
depending on tour schedule, perhaps we could coordinate it with a SF show

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2013, 12:04:51 PM »
When they do come back through, I wonder if they'll play the Warfield again.  There are a few things that bug me about that venue, but all in all, it's a good venue for them.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2013, 12:05:50 PM »
It's not really going to be a party without you guys there, so I would recommend finding a way.

Well... I wish money grew on trees, then. :'(

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 01:19:37 PM »

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 01:21:58 PM »
When they do come back through, I wonder if they'll play the Warfield again.  There are a few things that bug me about that venue, but all in all, it's a good venue for them.
like what? i live north of sf so i've been there plenty of times, its not a perfect venue but ive had no terrible experiences there.  what makes you think dt might not play there again, and where would you think they should play instead?

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2013, 01:27:41 PM »
shoot... It's only an 8 hour drive... If I had the funds... I would so totally go...

Well Panda and I are going up to Oregon in a few months... if by some magically miracle the times lined up....  :D
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2013, 02:06:24 PM »
like what? i live north of sf so i've been there plenty of times, its not a perfect venue but ive had no terrible experiences there.  what makes you think dt might not play there again, and where would you think they should play instead?
I'm not saying they might not play there.  I was just wondering out loud whether they would.  Like I said, I think it's a good venue for them.  I can't think of others that are the same size or just slightly bigger off the top of my head, and unless they are doing another co-headlining tour, they can't fill a place like the Pavillion or Shoreline.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2013, 03:14:19 AM »
Well Panda and I are going up to Oregon in a few months... if by some magically miracle the times lined up....  :D

Whereabouts in Oregon are y'all going?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2013, 09:59:55 AM »
I'm not saying they might not play there.  I was just wondering out loud whether they would.  Like I said, I think it's a good venue for them.  I can't think of others that are the same size or just slightly bigger off the top of my head, and unless they are doing another co-headlining tour, they can't fill a place like the Pavillion or Shoreline.
Do you forget the massive overhanging speakers that blocked off our view of Jordan, JMX, and Mangini when we were only midway to the left? And when we were basically center, the speakers still blocked off Jordan. Overall it was cool to see them have such a big venue but that was not the optimal viewing experience.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2013, 10:48:15 AM »

Whereabouts in Oregon are y'all going?

Not 100% sure yet... somewhere on the south / central coast. To visit Panda's mom who just moved up there from Ohio
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2013, 10:52:07 AM »
Do you forget the massive overhanging speakers that blocked off our view of Jordan, JMX, and Mangini when we were only midway to the left? And when we were basically center, the speakers still blocked off Jordan. Overall it was cool to see them have such a big venue but that was not the optimal viewing experience.

Nope, not at all.  That's one of the things that bugs me about the venue.  But that was also just some bad luck in the ticket lottery.  I've since been more proactive about getting to MUCH better places in the venue.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2013, 11:42:55 AM »
Not 100% sure yet... somewhere on the south / central coast. To visit Panda's mom who just moved up there from Ohio

:tup

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 02:10:13 AM »
I would say that it should be mandatory for lonestar to bring some hors d'oeuvres, but he'll probably be working.  :(

I'm really hoping he can make it!  If there's enough lead time, maybe a vacation/sick day?   :police:

And I really wish all of you could make it, and will see about acquiring a teleportation device.   :D

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2013, 03:45:12 AM »
If you build it, they will come... :laugh:

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2013, 01:59:38 PM »
If you build it, they will come... :laugh:

:D

Now that we have a release date, everybody book your flights and request vacation from work!  :biggrin:

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2013, 04:09:12 PM »
My family has a couple places in Marin that I visit every so often. Would be cool to meet up with even more DT fans. Was thinking of renting out a screen at a decent theater for a day for a viewing party in the East Coast. I might end up doing the same thing in San Diego for my friends that are there that are into DT. I think AMC theaters allows the proper hookups for digital viewing and surround sound. I'm looking into the Sundance cinemas, too. Haven't decided yet.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2013, 05:55:13 PM »
I'd much rather meet up for an actual DT show, but... this IS the next best thing.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2013, 04:03:26 PM »
I just installed my new sub and tested out the Budokan Blu-Ray to get a gauge for how it'd sound. 

:jawdrop:

Since you can't hear it, I'll just let you know that the intro to This Dying Soul knocked my rear speaker off its shelf (20 feet away in the opposite corner of the room). 

Needless to say, I can't wait for this viewing party!  :metal :corn

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2013, 11:14:26 PM »
Since you can't hear it, I'll just let you know that the intro to This Dying Soul knocked my rear speaker off its shelf (20 feet away in the opposite corner of the room).

Bad ass! :hifive:

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2013, 12:05:46 AM »
Color me there!!!! If you're planning a weekend night, which you probably will be doing, just try to iron out a date fairly far in advance so I can get it off. Would totally be worth it.

I may even cook for all you fuckers.