Author Topic: Recommend me music!!!  (Read 976 times)

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Recommend me music!!!
« on: May 13, 2013, 08:34:30 PM »
As much as I'd like to run a roulette right now, I'd be stepping in front of people who have obviously been waiting a long time.

That being said, I feel like I am in a music rut. I go through my IPod skipping everything now-a-days and I don't want to do that anymore. I want some recommendations please. Music of all sorts is ok. As a guide, I will make a list of my favorite bands/artists here:

Agalloch
Alice in Chains
Anathema
Cat Stevens
Devin Townsend and his millions things
Dredg
Falconer
Foxy Shazam
Frank Turner
Gojira
Metallica
Nightwish
Pearl Jam
Powerwolf
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Scar Symmetry
System of a Down
Woods of Ypres

I listen to a ton more than that. Like a ton. But those are the artists that strike my fancy more than any others so I'd start there. I would like full album recommendations pretty please. Hopefully this could turn me on to some new stuff. Thanks.

PS. If I have heard of what you recommend, which is likely to happen at least once, I'll tell you and we can go from there. Thankees.

PPS. If you could also tell me a bit about the band. Like in 2 sentences or something. Nothing major—just enough to point me in the general direction of what they are like.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Re: Recommend me music!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 08:36:53 PM »
Here's a few:
Gorod
Kvelertak
Inter Arma
The Ocean
Car Bomb

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 08:37:27 PM »
Type of music and an album from each?

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 08:43:33 PM »
Check out Animals As Leaders if you haven't heard them, their self titled album is a good place to start. They're basically an instrumental prog metal band.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 08:44:22 PM »
Here's a few:
Gorod - technical/proggy death metal: A Perfect Absolution
Kvelertak - Black metal/punk/rock'n'roll: S/T, Meir
Inter Arma - Sludge/Black Metal: Sky Burial
The Ocean - Progressive/Sludge/Post metal: Pelagial
Car Bomb - Math/Death/Grind: w^w^^w^w

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 01:39:23 AM »
Scars on Broadway - S/T (side project by Daron from SOAD - not quite as good as System's best, but still very enjoyable. Great melodies.)
Alcest - Écailles de Lune (shoegazey blackish atmospheric stuff. Somewhat similar to Woods of Ypres)
Unexpect - In a Flesh Aquarium, Fables of the Sleepless Empire (random fucked up stuff that is still completely awesome)
The Cat Empire - So Many Nights (groovy, laid back music with awesome, smooth vocals and a great use of a trumpet)
Dog Fashion Disco/Polkadot Cadaver - Adultery, Sex Offender (avante-garde metal at its best, AWESOME vocals and great riffs)

EDIT: I also second The Ocean. Awesomeness throughout, though I only know Precambrian, which works well as a starting point and can be found on YouTube in full.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 06:16:39 AM by Scorpion »
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 06:02:55 AM »
Check out Animals As Leaders if you haven't heard them, their self titled album is a good place to start. They're basically an instrumental prog metal band.

recommending an instrumental band to numbers :lol

It's ok, you're new here.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 07:32:44 AM »
My Chemical Romance.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 09:02:32 AM »

Well where are your recommendations then Mr?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 09:47:38 AM »
AC/DC
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 10:04:44 AM »
I'll give you my current top spinners\album of the year candidates.

DGM - momentum (great disc)
Killswitch Engage - Disarm The Descent (old vocals old crew back together great stuff)
Soilwork - The Living Infinite (more yummy from Soilwork) a kindler gentler Pantera
Persefone - Spiritual Migration (my current choice for album of the year--musically the layering and playing is incredible...vocals are a healthy mix of screamer and like an Opeth\Riverside clean type sound)
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 10:40:42 AM »
Based on this stuff:
Cat Stevens
Foxy Shazam
Frank Turner

Bob Dylan and Neil Young:  Hugely influential songwriters with large discographies. Dylan led the charge on the re-emergence of folk and Americana, and made them irrevocably important to rock for generations later. Neil Young has always kinda steered the rudder from Dylan, but has his own unique traits and a harder-edge sound overall. 

Bruce Springstreen: Owns the whole “heartland” singer/songwriter sound. Like the two guys above, there are certainly rocky patches in his discography, but he has quality and relevant material from each of his eras.

EDIT: Oh OK, album from each.

Bob Dylan- Greatest Hits Vol. 2

Neil Young- Harvest

Bruce Springsteen- Darkness at the Edge of Town
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 10:59:18 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 10:54:40 AM »
Based on Alice in Chains:  I highly recommend Drain STH, an all-female band out of Stockholm.  Unfortunately, they only put out two albums in the late 1990s and then disbanded.  Both albums are very good.  The first, Horror Wrestling is just a stripped-down, heavy, pissed-off-sounding awesomefest that sounds a lot like AIC's heavier stuff.  Their second album, Freaks Of Nature, is also very good, but is a bit different in that they added in a lot of loops and electronics.  Good stuff all around.

Based on Nightwish, I'd recommend Within Temptation and Epica, but I'm assuming you have already checked them out.

Based on Pearl Jam, I highly recommend never listening to music again.  :biggrin:  I assume you've checked out Soundgarden?  How about Mother Love Bone, which was the original band that Pearl Jam and Soundgarden basically came from? 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 03:18:33 PM »

Well where are your recommendations then Mr?

I'll wait for a proper address :)

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 06:39:59 PM »
Dr :P

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 07:14:50 PM »
Jeff Buckley  :heart
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 07:21:07 PM »
Alcest - Écailles de Lune (shoegazey blackish atmospheric stuff. Somewhat similar to Woods of Ypres)

This. I messaged you a few songs, Numbers.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2013, 01:40:08 PM »
I will listen to some of these recommendations after I review for my big huge economics test tomorrow. Go Keynes!!