Author Topic: Something important to ponder  (Read 573 times)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Something important to ponder
« on: May 12, 2013, 02:00:02 PM »
If you are friends with me on facebook or twitter I've already put it there, but I think this is worth everyone's time.  The full version is worth listening to as well.  It is a commencement speech by David Foster Wallace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xmpYnxlEh0c

Thread title changed to generate more traffic.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 07:48:28 AM by Dr. DTVT »

Offline Ħ

Re: This is water...
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 02:22:38 PM »
Mesmerizing speech. The big thing I got out of it was to be actively conscious of the great world we live in even in our most mundane, boring situations.

Reminds me of a quote from Louie:

'I’m bored’ is a useless thing to say. I mean, you live in a great, big, vast world that you’ve seen none percent of. Even the inside of your own mind is endless, it goes on forever, inwardly, do you understand? The fact that you’re alive is amazing, so you don’t get to say ‘I’m bored.'
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 02:35:38 PM »
Shit, that was good. Thank you :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 02:45:04 PM »
Foster Wallace is amazing. Infinite Jest is a masterpiece. I was really sad when I heard about his death.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 02:59:08 PM »
Wonderful. The full speech without the graphics is even better. It draws you in more.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 03:10:11 PM »
Wonderful. The full speech without the graphics is even better. It draws you in more.

Very true, but people are more willing to give you 9.5 minutes of time than they are to give 22.75 minutes, thus I went with the short version.