Blink
9 (16.4%)
Utopia (...)
6 (10.9%)
The Sound of Drums & The Last of the Time Lords
6 (10.9%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: May 12, 2013, 03:57:34 AM

Author Topic: Doctor Who - Series 3 (2007) - Round 1  (Read 1061 times)

Offline robwebster

Doctor Who - Series 3 (2007) - Round 1
« on: May 11, 2013, 03:57:34 AM »
Right! After the success of the last two survivors, here comes series three! The pictures are back, two more champions will be elected, and to be honest, all I could think while I was doing these screencaps, was, "Crikey, how brilliant is series three?" I've got a hunch I know what's getting number one, but there are so many brilliant episodes here that I can't wait to find out where they rank.

Except Gridlock. Man, I hate Gridlock.

WRT Utopia and The Sound of Drums, I wasn't sure whether to conflate them or keep them separate... could be a two-parter, could be a three-parter, depending on your outlook on life, but I figured, since everyone's got an unlimited number of votes, nobody ever needs to choose one over the other, so I've listed them separately.

24 hours. Go, go, go!!

ETA: Also, I typed "New Earth" instead of "Smith & Jones," and now that I've edited it, all votes have become public. This is an accident, and we'll be back to secret voting next round. Unless public votes go really, really well. Then we won't.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 04:05:40 AM by robwebster »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Doctor Who - Series 3 (2007) - Round 1
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 04:39:06 AM »
Human Nature through to the end is basically perfection, so I voted for all of those. Also voted for Smith & Jones and Shakespeare Code as they're really very enjoyable. It's a great series though, just a couple of a less interesting ones in the middle.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 04:53:59 AM »
Human Nature through to the end is basically perfection, so I voted for all of those. Also voted for Smith & Jones and Shakespeare Code as they're really very enjoyable. It's a great series though, just a couple of a less interesting ones in the middle.
The only ones I didn't vote for were The Runaway Bride, Gridlock and Daleks in Manhattan. Which means, technically, I've put them at a disadvantage, rather than any of the others at particular advantage, but I think that's the fun of multiple votes.

Also - thanks for fixing the poll!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 05:13:03 AM »
Oh yeah, was going to mention that but forgot. :lol Was an easy edit to set it to private again. :)

Oh and also, I agree with separating out Utopia, as officially that's how it's arranged I believe.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 05:51:41 AM »
Season three is pure love and hate for me.  There's some really awesome stuff, but dear lord the shit...

Voted for Smith and Jones, The Shakespeare Code, 42, Human Nature, Blink, and Utopia.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline robwebster

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 06:42:03 AM »
Season three is pure love and hate for me.  There's some really awesome stuff, but dear lord the shit...
That's basically fair. Daleks in Manhattan, in particular - Helen Raynor's third ever published script, first for Doctor Who, and Russell T Davies was too sick to help with the rewrites. A lot of the problems with it can be chalked squarely up to the lack of a showrunner.

If I were to plot a graph of the series, it'd probably look like a big tick. Starts high with Smith & Jones, gradually drops of a little, but from The Lazarus Experiment onwards it only gets better and better. I think Evolution of the Daleks is a worse episode than Gridlock, but at least it's kitschy. Gridlock is better produced, and better written, but basically just plain doesn't make sense for me. On an allegorical level, sure, but I don't like the realisation of New Earth, I don't like the characters, and the scale is completely dippy. Twenty years? I just plain don't believe it. Right from the word go, I have no idea why those people are dressed as the American Gothic painting. I don't believe EotD, either, but I enjoy not believing it. It's slightly more my kind of barmy.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 06:57:38 AM »
Season 3 had some serious high points.  Runaway Bride, Smith & Jones, Blink, Human Nature, Utopia, and The Sound of Drums all get my vote.  Its a shame there's not too much in the middle.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 11:53:18 AM »
I really like Gridlock, so for me it's the run of Daleks through to 42 that is good but not great.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 04:45:41 PM »
The Last of the Time Lords is easily my least favorite finale so it didn't get a vote. Blink will probably win this.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 05:18:32 PM »
It's definitely going to come down to Blink, Human Nature, and Sound of Drums

Offline robwebster

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 01:53:43 AM »
Smith & Jones and Utopia might have outside shots... but, basically, yes! I'd say The Shakespeare Code, too, but I don't know that other people love it quite that much. I am pleased with the little bar I did for it, though. Well, the text could be clearer.