Author Topic: Abercrombie & Fitch CEO explains why he only caters to thin and beautiful people  (Read 5663 times)

Offline Ħ

The language you've been using, antigoon, indicates to me that you are confusing being obsessed over something with merely caring about it. Obviously, there's nothing wrong with caring about taking care of yourself. But at a certain point, it's too much. And I see this all over the place. Just think about the thread we're in! People are willing to fork over loads of cash for a label that will make them sexier. I think that's one sign of obsession, isn't it? Steroid use is also prevalent today - people sacrificing their very health to look more attractive. That's obsession. And on and on and on and on.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Ħ

The only obsession I see right now is that of a cookie-cutter view of a man that only ever a minority of men really adhered throughout history and cultures.
Oh rumby, you're the wittiest lil' goat I know.  :-*
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
People are willing to fork over loads of cash for a label that will make them sexier. I think that's one sign of obsession, isn't it?
When has this ever not been the case in America, though?

Offline Ħ

Perhaps you're right on that count. But even if you showed that to be the case, then that wouldn't show that our culture isn't obsessed with looks, the main issue at hand. I'd still say we're obsessed. :lol You would just show that I'm wrong about our generation being less manly than previous generations, a different issue.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't think people are as obsessed with appearances as much as they're just obsessed with buying crap.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
People are obsessed with social status, and they always have been.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
Guys hold on I think Hayden is onto something. I mean, he does know just about everything. Objectively speaking.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni

Yup, true.

And, if H's "real man" archetrype is actually a recent invention, the tradition of males attempting to out-male each other based on some invented standard is not at all, and on a basic level is pretty widespread throughout the animal kingdom. Obviously buying attractive or expensive clothes is just another way males attempt to show that they're good potential mates-- that they're fit, financially secure, socially adjusted, and so on.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Just as much as some others who are trying to push their own version of "proper male" in order to give it the desired social standing.

Offline Ħ

Although you guys are trying to disagree with me, I'm not actually seeing where you're disagreeing. It sounds like we're on pretty much the same page - that generally, people are overly obsessed with appearance, social status, and buying things. And A&F is a manifestation of that.

Offline Ħ

Yup, true.

And, if H's "real man" archetrype is actually a recent invention, the tradition of males attempting to out-male each other based on some invented standard is not at all, and on a basic level is pretty widespread throughout the animal kingdom. Obviously buying attractive or expensive clothes is just another way males attempt to show that they're good potential mates-- that they're fit, financially secure, socially adjusted, and so on.
To that, I'd say the "real man" is just an archetype. It's just a conjured-up figure who we should strive to be like. Of course, there's nothing inherently "manly" about being courageous, loyal, hard-working, etc.  That's just a manner of speaking. But those are still good ideals to strive for, and so we create the image of a "real man" who instantiates these properties.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
Courageous, loyal, hard working... I've been looking for a manly woman all my life then, I guess.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
I don't have a problem with it.  It's just that he shouldn't have SAID it.  It's a little insensitive.  Most "large" people are fat because they're .... well, just fat and lazy.  But, there are some people who are "large" and can't help it because of health problems and medicine.  To say, "we only target thin, 'hot' people,' is just insensitive to publicly say. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni

Yup, true.

To that, I'd say the "real man" is just an archetype. It's just a conjured-up figure who we should strive to be like. Of course, there's nothing inherently "manly" about being courageous, loyal, hard-working, etc.  That's just a manner of speaking. But those are still good ideals to strive for, and so we create the image of a "real man" who instantiates these properties.
The concept of the "real man" is bullshit and should be irrelevant in this day and age.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member

Yup, true.

The concept of the "real man" is bullshit and should be irrelevant in this day and age.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
For once, I'm not even going to touch that :lol

This thread gives me an idea. I should start a website consisting of overweight models posing in Abercrombie and Fitch. Make it a whole new trend.

YES! Can we? I would be willing to put on a pair of jeans that are a few sizes too small for some good muffin top.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
So, a corporation that caters to shallow narcissists is run by a shallow narcissist?

Offline mikaelslover

Jesus christ H you're retarded

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?

Yup, true.

Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Ħ

I''m not sure how a mere archetype to strive to be like is a bad thing. It may be a real person (Abe Lincoln, Martin Luther King Jr., Susan B. Anthony, Ghandi), or it may be made-up and nonexistent (Batman, Link, the "real man"). It's just a figure that stands for a set of ideals to inspire people.

Obviously there is nothing inherently connected between being male and being strong. And yet we have this allegedly sexist axiom that "Real men are strong". But if you really break it down, all that really says is "It is good to be strong". And who is going to disagree with that? Of course it's good to be strong, value-driven, courageous, hard working, etc.  Those are values we should all strive towards, men and women alike.

And yet people are still going to misinterpret what I'm saying as something judgmental and sexist. Can't you see that we're on the same page?

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
No what I'm saying is there shouldn't be any standard whatsoever on how a person should be or what traits they possess. One of the biggest causes of self-esteem issues and low confidence comes completely from comparing yourself to others and to the standards you don't live up to.

Fuck that. Do what you want and be who you want (as long as it doesn't affect others directly in some negative fashion). The end.

Offline Ħ

Don't you think there are values we should try to live by in life? I dunno - integrity, honesty, courage? Why not bundle all these good qualities together and slap them on the face of a hero? Inspire people. From my experience, it is people that inspire me, not isolated values in the sky.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Well this is odd, but I am in agreement with Hayden. I definitely feel him on the values thing, and prefer a society with at least some expectations regarding values to Alex's "just don't step on someone else's toes" philosophy. (Though, odds are, Hayden and I don't last very long at the negotiating table together before his values start making my values feel oppressed).

Now, if only anything Hayden is saying had anything to do with the actual topic... :D

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
Meh, I can't disagree that the traits are good to have. But the expectation is where I lose interest. If someone is going to find these values in their life, let it happen naturally.

oh also here is a .gif from my "currently giving a fuck" folder:

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
I don't think people are as obsessed with appearances as much as they're just obsessed with buying crap.

This entire thread demonstrates the real problem.  People are obsessed with what other people spend their time obsessing over.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
I don't see any gi- ooooh
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Jesus christ H you're retarded
Absolutely no room for this stuff here.  Knock it off.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Meh, I can't disagree that the traits are good to have. But the expectation is where I lose interest. If someone is going to find these values in their life, let it happen naturally.
Well, like I said, Hayden and I would probably get nowhere in determining which traits we thought were valuable. Or, maybe we'd get somewehre, but I doubt we'd get very far.

I think as a society we should be promoting at least some things, though, more than just the libertarian-friendly things.

But, like I said, I'm not sure how Hayden got on this, or how it's relevant to the thread.

Offline Ħ

Well, like I said, Hayden and I would probably get nowhere in determining which traits we thought were valuable. Or, maybe we'd get somewehre, but I doubt we'd get very far.

I think as a society we should be promoting at least some things, though, more than just the libertarian vibe things.
Oh, come on, you've gotta give us more credit than that. We're both pretty good people. I mean, these are basically the values I hold to. I doubt you'll disagree...

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Regarding the "real men", I find it interesting that none of the men I can think of who stood out as prime examples of humanity in the last century adhered to that "real man" ideal. Albert Einstein, Alan Turing, Mahatma Gandhi, all diametrically opposed to your ideal.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh, come on, you've gotta give us more credit than that. We're both pretty good people. I mean, these are basically the values I hold to. I doubt you'll disagree...
Those are nice ideas, but I don't think they have anything to do with manliness. Or Abercrombie & Fitch. Which is why I'm wondering you thought it was necessary to bring that up. I'm not making the connection between the thread and the point you're making.

Offline Ħ

The connection is that A&F fosters materialism and superficiality, two things that don't matter to a person of values. That's the connection.

And a "person of values" is all I meant. We can drop the talk of "manliness" and "real men".

And as an aside, I think the six pillars of character have everything to do with manliness. They are what separate boys from men.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
I'M A GAWD DAYUM MAYYOOWWWNNNN

HE'S A MAYYYYNNN

YOU'RE A MAAAYYYYYNNNNN

IT'S A MAAAYYYOOOOOWWWWWNN LAAAYYYOOOWWWNNNNDDD

MAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNN

NOTAGAADAAAMWOOOHHMAAAYYOOWWN

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
And as an aside, I think the six pillars of character have everything to do with manliness. They are what separate boys from men.

Women don't have character?