Author Topic: Jeff Hanneman(Slayer) dies  (Read 4846 times)

Offline Ruba

Re: Jeff Hanneman(Slayer) dies
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2013, 01:03:50 AM »
I have never really liked Slayer, but R.I.P. Good guitarist nevertheless.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2013, 01:27:41 AM »
RIP Jeff :(
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2013, 01:32:13 AM »
Well this sucks... R.I.P. Jeff  :( I was fortunate enough to see him last summer in NJ, can't believe he's gone now  :sadpanda: Had to put on some Slayer in honor of Jeff, forgot how awesome their earlier stuff is.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2013, 02:58:20 AM »
Jeff was easily the better guitar player of the two, and by far my fav member.  Slayer for me was always about Jeff.  IMO, the band has pretty much died with Jeff.  RIP dude.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2013, 03:26:21 AM »
I don't even listen to Slayer much but... wow. That's terrible. R.I.P.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2013, 04:55:23 AM »
RIP Jeff .  Jeffwas so under rated as a guitar player and song writer . Kerry enjoyed the spotlight and became the "spokesperson" for the band but Jeff in my mind was the Blood and Guts

Look at some of these gems he wrote
Antichrist
Die by the Sword
Angel of Death
Behind the Crooked Cross
War Ensemble

Just to name a few.

I had the priviledge of seeing Slayer 20+ times and they never disappointed live.

I understand...Thrash isn't everyone's cup of tea, but as a genre I grew up with from the early stages its still deeply inbedded in my musical tastes.

regardless of what caused the liver failure he was taken from us way to soon,

:'(
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline philmcson

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2013, 11:30:43 AM »
I can definitely see other factors having played into it, such as medication relating to the spider bite. I was basing my comment on an article that quoted a friend of his saying that Hanneman was on a steady liquid diet of Heineken and vodka. If you do that long enough, 49 isn't really that young to die of cirrhosis.

This.

While I'm today really sad because of Jeff's death, I'm also a bit...... well, angry. It was a well-known fact that Jeff liked booze a little too much and his other health problems may have been a final contribution to fatal cirrhosis.

I'd really love if music artists would finally learn from examples like John Bonham, Rev Sullivan, Paul Gray, Jeff Hanneman....... and stop ruining their health with irresponsible, childish drinking/drugging habits. I'm fed up with great musicians passing away in unnecessarily young ages.....  :censored

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2013, 02:16:53 PM »
Only saw Slayer once and thank god it was with all 4 original members, since different guys have been swapped in and out recently. They performed my favorite album (Seasons in the Abyss) in its entirety.

RIP Jeff.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2013, 02:31:33 PM »
Only saw Slayer once and thank god it was with all 4 original members, since different guys have been swapped in and out recently. They performed my favorite album (Seasons in the Abyss) in its entirety.

RIP Jeff.
American Carnage was one of the best tours ever.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2013, 02:38:23 PM »
I woke up to this shocking news this morning.... so so sad....  :tdwn  :(

Offline jammindude

« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2013, 02:49:14 PM »
I know Gary Holt filled in for Jeff upon occasion...but I really hope Slayer just hangs it up.    Dave is gone again, Jeff is dead, Tom's been talking retirement for the past couple of tours....  It's time.   I think it's better to go out while you're still ahead. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2013, 03:08:11 PM »
I hate to say it, but I think I'm with you jammindude. Slayer has and always will be a big part of my life as a metalhead, but a horse with a broken leg isn't going to be getting better with a quick recovery. Might as well put the band out of it's misery before it becomes painful.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2013, 04:08:08 PM »
Slayer is done.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2013, 04:10:49 PM »
Well, considering that nobody really seems to think much of Kerry King anymore, that probably would be best.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2013, 04:53:24 PM »
Quote from: philmcson
While I'm today really sad because of Jeff's death, I'm also a bit...... well, angry. It was a well-known fact that Jeff liked booze a little too much and his other health problems may have been a final contribution to fatal cirrhosis.

I'd really love if music artists would finally learn from examples like John Bonham, Rev Sullivan, Paul Gray, Jeff Hanneman....... and stop ruining their health with irresponsible, childish drinking/drugging habits. I'm fed up with great musicians passing away in unnecessarily young ages.....  :censored

I think the problem is that it's expected of them. Rock and Metal live off the aura of their glory days, and those were the sex, drugs and rock'n roll days. Combine that with a) that a lot of metal bands enter the scene with that attitude, b) they aren't the most cerebral type and c) a lot of classic albums were written under drug influence, and that's how you end up with those situations.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2013, 05:08:09 PM »
Quote from: philmcson

I think the problem is that it's expected of them. Rock and Metal live off the aura of their glory days, and those were the sex, drugs and rock'n roll days. Combine that with a) that a lot of metal bands enter the scene with that attitude, b) they aren't the most cerebral type and c) a lot of classic albums were written under drug influence, and that's how you end up with those situations.
It's interesting. I've been reading Nikki Sixx's Heroin Diaries, and something he kept asking himself was why he couldn't be like the other guys. They all did tons of drugs and alcohol, staggering amounts, in fact, but only one of them had a problem with it. The thing to remember is that some people can deal well with drugs and alcohol, and some people go completely off the rails. While I agree with all of your observations, I'd add that they probably see all of their peers coming out of it alright (hell, if Aeromsith and the Stones are still around. . .), and assume that they're going to come out of it just the same.

I'll also throw out that Niiki Sixx is adamant that he'd have been every bit as big a junky had he not been a rock star. Motley Crue gave him the money to do it well, but if he'd been living under a bridge he'd have been no different. Remember, rock stars come from the same pool that the rest of us do.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2013, 06:00:16 PM »
I know Gary Holt filled in for Jeff upon occasion...but I really hope Slayer just hangs it up.    Dave is gone again, Jeff is dead, Tom's been talking retirement for the past couple of tours....  It's time.   I think it's better to go out while you're still ahead.

Yeah, I totally agree.

Well, considering that nobody really seems to think much of Kerry King anymore, that probably would be best.

That too.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2013, 06:32:02 PM »
In reading articles from Wiki...it is a bit unclear how far they got on the new album.   Sounds like they had finished a few songs...

They make is sound like Tom wanted to wait for Jeff...Kerry did some recording with Dave (before they had the falling out)...then they were in the studio which everyone *presumed* meant that Jeff was better (because Tom had said they wouldn't go into the studio until Jeff was better).    But there's been no update on how far that progressed or whether or not  Jeff was involved.   

I guess we'll wait and see...  :-\

Offline philmcson

« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2013, 11:13:16 PM »
The band have allegedly given a statement they'd still do their tour in Europe next month......

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2013, 11:24:24 PM »
Well Kerry King is a shitstain so no surprises there.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2013, 11:25:00 PM »
The band have allegedly given a statement they'd still do their tour in Europe next month......

I have no problem with them finishing their standing obligations....maybe even one last tour in honor of Jeff *IF* the album is already done. 

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2013, 11:30:25 PM »
I'd rather see them take a break, and gather up a bunch of guest musicians, kind of like the Death to All tour that's in honour of Chuck Schuldinero

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2013, 01:14:24 AM »
I'm with jammindude on this one. It sucks that he died and it'd be more than understandable if they called off the tour but, since a lot of people's livelihood depends on this with it being a contractual obligation that was signed off on several months ago, the sudden cancellation of it could bring unnecessary financial hardship on the average joes doing everything from roadie work to merchandise and everything in between.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2013, 05:17:34 AM »
R.I.P. Jeff :-[
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline jammindude

« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2013, 08:48:24 AM »
I want to add to my earlier comment that *IF* (and only 'if') the album is done, it would actually be nice to have one last tour....but not without Dave. 

It sounds like a "Sabbath-like" situation....the drummer (and the fans) think he deserves an equal, 4-way split partnership....but the primary shareholders in the band feel differently.    Kerry probably won't pony up the dough though, even if it would be one last time for the fans.

You can do a farewell tour with 3 original members....not two.   Not in this situation anyway.    Slayer is just something that cannot exist without at least 3 of the original four.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2013, 10:47:46 AM »
I pretty much despise Slayer nowadays but that was pretty unexpected :-\

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2013, 04:46:28 PM »
I want to add to my earlier comment that *IF* (and only 'if') the album is done, it would actually be nice to have one last tour....but not without Dave. 

It sounds like a "Sabbath-like" situation....the drummer (and the fans) think he deserves an equal, 4-way split partnership....but the primary shareholders in the band feel differently.    Kerry probably won't pony up the dough though, even if it would be one last time for the fans.

You can do a farewell tour with 3 original members....not two.   Not in this situation anyway.    Slayer is just something that cannot exist without at least 3 of the original four.

All that is true, but do we REALLY expect Kerry to NOT be a douche and to actually do the right thing for Dave?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2013, 10:54:07 PM »
Slayer have shared the cause of Jeff Hanneman's death last week, saying they have just learned the guitarist died from alcohol-related cirrhosis of the liver. "While he had his health struggles over the years, including the recent necrotizing fasciitis infection that devastated his well-being, Jeff and those close to him were not aware of the true extent of his liver condition until the last days of his life," Slayer wrote on their website. "Contrary to some reports, Jeff was not on a transplant list at the time of his passing, or at any time prior to that. In fact, by all accounts, it appeared that he had been improving – he was excited and looking forward to working on a new record."

Read more: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/slayer-guitarist-jeff-hanneman-died-of-alcohol-related-cirrhosis-20130510#ixzz2SxN0hlhh

This is surprising to me. Not that he'd drink himself to death, but that nobody knew about it. If he had liver problems 2 years ago during the necrotizing fasciitis, the doctors certainly would have known about it. For it to have gone from non-diagnosed to failed in two years just seems odd.
E.F. Benson

« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2013, 04:39:06 PM »
A horrible loss. I suspected alcoholism when I first heard about this, but it seemed premature to come out and say that.

R.I.P. Jeff

You wrote some awesome tunes- Angel Of Death, South Of Heaven, War Ensemble, Dead Skin Mask, etc.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2013, 04:45:35 PM »
Slayer have shared the cause of Jeff Hanneman's death last week, saying they have just learned the guitarist died from alcohol-related cirrhosis of the liver. "While he had his health struggles over the years, including the recent necrotizing fasciitis infection that devastated his well-being, Jeff and those close to him were not aware of the true extent of his liver condition until the last days of his life," Slayer wrote on their website. "Contrary to some reports, Jeff was not on a transplant list at the time of his passing, or at any time prior to that. In fact, by all accounts, it appeared that he had been improving – he was excited and looking forward to working on a new record."

Read more: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/slayer-guitarist-jeff-hanneman-died-of-alcohol-related-cirrhosis-20130510#ixzz2SxN0hlhh

This is surprising to me. Not that he'd drink himself to death, but that nobody knew about it. If he had liver problems 2 years ago during the necrotizing fasciitis, the doctors certainly would have known about it. For it to have gone from non-diagnosed to failed in two years just seems odd.

If he didnt tell them it bothered him then they wont do anything about it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2013, 06:28:35 PM »

If he didnt tell them it bothered him then they wont do anything about it.
When he was admitted to the hospital with mysterious symptoms, the first thing they'd have done was run a whole mess of blood tests. It just seems like decreased liver function would have been pretty apparent.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2013, 10:43:15 PM »
Who's to say the doctors didn't know?  They can tell to you you're sick all day long,  but unless you change your habits,  there's nothing they can do. He wouldn't be the first to continue a self destructive behavior knowing fully well it'll kill him.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2013, 11:40:54 PM »
Certainly a possibility (know one of those myself). Still the press release said he didn't know.
E.F. Benson