Author Topic: The Great Netflix Purge  (Read 2130 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
The Great Netflix Purge
« on: May 01, 2013, 04:49:15 AM »
Apparently Warner Brothers will be pulling their titles from Netlix today which, coincidentally, is the same day they're releasing their own streaming service.

Here's the list of stuff going:
https://instantwatcher.com/titles/expiring

Most of it's classic stuff or not-so-noteworthy modern stuff. Thankfully I don't think I had anything on my Instant Queue.

EDIT: Apparently, this stuff happens pretty regularly. I wouldn't know, as I've only been a subscriber for about 6 months. Any of you long term subscriber guys have any input on whether Netflix is getting better or worse in the long run?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 06:50:08 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline robwebster

Re: The Great Netflix Purge
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 05:22:06 AM »
Thanks! You've just reminded me to cancel my Netflix before it bills me.

Don't know how it is in the US - probably a much broader selection over there, cos it's been better embedded for longer - but I used Netflix UK for a one month free trial at the start of last year, which I used a lot, and despite its limited selection as a new service, I thought it was pretty good, and they invited me to another one month free trial last month.

Nothing. It's all gone. No Coupling, no The Street, the selection's got worse. I'm... not enamoured with it. Don't think I've watched a single show, this trial. Loved it, first time round. Oh, well.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 06:32:43 AM »
Haven't noticed any stuff disappearing off my netflix instant queue but there is no way I'd sign up for another streaming service.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 06:45:32 AM »
I almost always use it for shows, rather than movies, so I'm good as long as they don't take away the shows on my Instant Queue.

But yeah, I'm expecting more and more places to go ahead and launch their own streaming services. Which, I think, will be bad for the consumer, at least if it means not getting access to the variety we have now (apparently only in the US).

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 07:17:29 AM »
I almost always use it for shows, rather than movies, so I'm good as long as they don't take away the shows on my Instant Queue.

But yeah, I'm expecting more and more places to go ahead and launch their own streaming services. Which, I think, will be bad for the consumer, at least if it means not getting access to the variety we have now (apparently only in the US).

If that were to become the case where multiple subscriptions are launched I'll probably just go back to pirating shows.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 07:34:55 AM »
For every hour I've spent watching a movie on Netflix, I've spent at least 25-30 watching shows. It's probably even more than that. 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 08:46:37 AM by Chino »

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 07:49:06 AM »
I am long since done with Netflix. Every passing years it gets a little worse, imo.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 09:03:31 AM »
That's why I use LoveFilm here. Very limited selection for online streaming, but almost anything you can think of for DVD rental.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 12:04:20 PM »
I almost always use it for shows, rather than movies

That's pretty much all Mrs. NoseHair and I use it for.  We get one DVD at a time and we usually watch most -if not all- of the episodes on it in one or two sittings, then send it back.  Most months we're plowing through anywhere between 4 and 6 DVDs.  So it's still a pretty good deal for us.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 01:19:27 PM »
I grew tired of Netflix not having the most recent seasons of TV Shows, so I just built my own media server that I can stream from anywhere and any device.  Mostly from my own disk collection and of friends and family (who I can give access as well).  So far, I'm using half of a 4 TB array.  I can't wait until I move from this apt to a house with faster upload speeds, as 1.5 Mbps upload simply can't provide HD streams remotely. 

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 01:39:02 PM »
 E Z T V
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Cable

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 01:50:11 PM »
I don't have the link, but the article I said is it will be less than last year with Starz. I cut streaming for a bit because of slow home net speeds. But we supplement the streaming with two discs out now, and we are covered for most shows and movies. Our primary entertainment, no cable for $21 p/month.

Cannot speak for Amazon Prime, but Hulu Plus was terrible when we tried it. Any current shows we liked we needed to log in via a traditional computer = FAIL. So to me so far, Netflix is still the best for streaming, even if they shuffle their catalog every year.
---

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 04:25:48 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. KEN BURNS' STUFF IS GONNA BE GONE! I WAS ABOUT TO WATCH JAZZ AGAIN!!
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.